ESL manager sack/walk watch

Loon

:lol:
I'd love Ferguson to weigh in and call bollocks on this. He'd be barred by the gimps, but the whole house of cards could tumble...

Then I woke up.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Reds Agree Strategic Partnership in Saudi Arabia

https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/manchester-united-agree-strategic-partnership-in-saudi-arabia#

Replica football shirts costing £107 made by sweatshop workers 'on 75p an hour'

This super league might potentially be a shite idea but let's not act as if it's some moral stain. We've done far worse within the last few years.
Fine that’s a fair point but let’s stop making excuses for the glazers and their likes. They don’t care about fans. They don’t care about football. They don’t care about history or tradition. They only care about money, and with the other leeches they’ve found common ground where they can all take more money and close everyone else out. No one else is important

Sweet Square

Fine that’s a fair point but let’s stop making excuses for the glazers and their likes. They don’t care about fans. They don’t care about football. They don’t care about history or tradition. They only care about money, and with the other leeches they’ve found common ground where they can all take more money and close everyone else out. No one else is important
Oh completely agree with you they need to be go asap. Hopefully this mess might make people think more about fan ownership rather than getting in a ''good'' billionaire owner(Which made up a large part of the anti Glazer talk).

Varun1

None of them will walk. They earn far too much and won't give up on it, especially as there aren't many top clubs that are not in the ESL that will hire them.

tomaldinho1

Given this looks like it was done without the managers being fully aware of it, I'd love if Klopp, Ole etc. decided to all resign on air in their next conferences as a final F you.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
This is like the brexit argument all over again. So if FIFA and uefa are corrupt you walk away? No, you enact change from within.

you’re all being sold on this idea that everything will be hunky dory. Once you’re in, watch your clubs change and start pulling out of whatever’s left. Mark my words
Not at all. I think it's an awful idea. I'm just saying that you're expecting too much for managers to refuse to manage in it if it becomes a thing and the premier footballing event in club football. But of course I'd like to see the backlash /negotiation between parties, ensure we never get there.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Klopp will for sure go. Not sure on the others. Think a lot of players will also come out against it. They grew up dreaming about lifting the premier league and champions league. Not some super league.

el3mel

Given this looks like it was done without the managers being fully aware of it, I'd love if Klopp, Ole etc. decided to all resign on air in their next conferences as a final F you.
Honestly will it matter much? They will let them go and hire other managers. They aren't going to sacrifice 3.5 billion for Klopp or Pep. This is a business project and they don't give a shit about the sporting aspect of it.

tomaldinho1

Honestly will it matter much? They will let them go and hire other managers. They aren't going to sacrifice 3.5 billion for Klopp or Pep. This is a business project and they don't give a shit about the sporting aspect of it.
Nothing would delegitimise the ESL more quickly than if there wasn’t a single tier 1 manager in the competition.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
If Klopp walks he can fight greed with his cringeworthy tv adverts.

el3mel

Nothing would delegitimise the ESL more quickly than if there wasn’t a single tier 1 manager in the competition.
I honestly think they don't give a shit. The ESL will still bring them ton of money regardless of the managers. Fans will talk and complain but at the end we will know the vast majority will pay to watch and keep the revenues incoming. Ultimately the clubs will think that the managers are the ones on the losing side if they refuse to be part of it, and that they will have to return one way or another.

Zen86

There will be loads of teams in the super league who are just there to steal a "pointless point". There's no relegation and therefore no incentive for cheap owners to invest in their clubs to get them performing.

You'll have a couple of clubs for whom winning it will be part of their vanity project (expect City to go all out to win the first one). Then you'll have a load of clubs like United, Arsenal and Spurs, who will stink the place out and be happy just to be there on the gravy train.
100% correct.

tomaldinho1

I honestly think they don't give a shit. The ESL will still bring them ton of money regardless of the managers. Fans will talk and complain but at the end we will know the vast majority will pay to watch and keep the revenues incoming. Ultimately the clubs will think that the managers are the ones on the losing side if they refuse to be part of it, and that they will have to return one way or another.
Not debating they don't give a feck, that is abundantly clear. Question is do any of these managers who don't seem to have been kept in the loop.

tomaldinho1

Tuchel seems to be fine with it. Very diplomatic response going full ‘let’s see what the plans are/I don’t know anything’

bleedred

The ESL as a product is atleast to a certain degree influenced by these managers.

Let's say if pep, klopp and zidane, probably the three best managers around walk away, the entertainment value of the proposed league shrinks considerably. So I think, the clubs would have kept the managers in the loop to an extent that they are onboard with it.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
Tuchel seems to be fine with it. Very diplomatic response going full ‘let’s see what the plans are/I don’t know anything’
This "I don't know anything" answer can't wash anymore. It's the biggest story in football and has been non stop since yesterday. Managers need to be pushed on it by the media.

From a United fan perspective, I want to know whether Ole agrees with the club entering into the Super League or not. I'm sure fans of all clubs are the same. "I don't know what the club are doing" or "It's in the club's hands, not mine" are irrelevant answers. They need to be pushed on whether they agree with the concept or not.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
If Ole walks he'll lose his job, but the fans will make sure to erect a statue of him next to Sir Alex outside Old Trafford.

Hell, I'll pony up 50% of the cost myself

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Any manager that walks over this would have the utmost respect universally from fans, I would have thought. I appreciate most managers won't, but if one did take a stand and say they wanted out as a result, they would deserve a lot of respect.

tomaldinho1

Any manager that walks over this would have the utmost respect universally from fans, I would have thought. I appreciate most managers won't, but if one did take a stand and say they wanted out as a result, they would deserve a lot of respect.
Yep. I also think it could be a domino effect - if one of the really big names goes it makes it easier for others to join them. Players now starting to voice their disapproval, will be all eyes on Klopp's conference.

GBBQ

With a potential safety net of Bayern waiting for him, you could well see Klopp going given his recent comments. Given the season they have had and the decision to form the ESL (seemingly against his view point) it would be hard to see why he would stay on board.

0le

I'd love Ferguson to weigh in and call bollocks on this. He'd be barred by the gimps, but the whole house of cards could tumble...

Then I woke up.
Ferguson has already spoken to Reuters about it.

Judas

Open to offers
Klopp won't go, he said he didn't want to spend big money on players then look what he did with Allison and VVD, he says a lot, loves the sound of his own voice. Fair fecks to him if he does, but it's very very unlikely.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I could see Klopp leaving. Would not blame him at all.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
No one. They're not silly. There's money on the table.
I mean for most of them, the difference in money will just amount to their great great great great great grandchildren being forced to slum it in a factory-line brand new Ferrari, as oppose to a custom/personalized model.

Witchking

None of the managers are going to quit. We are all living in dreamland to expect any of the managers to take a position in this. Tuchel at least had the guts to say that he wants to compete in the biggest competitions. Rest will just say "i don't know" and move on.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool

What's the saying in English, don't bite the hand that feeds you? Clearly doesn't care or is instructed from above not to oppose the club's stance on the matter.

Haven't seen any clips from Klopp's press conference but I'd be disappointed if he reacts in the same way.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
I mean for most of them, the difference in money will just amount to their great great great great great grandchildren being forced to slum it in a factory-line brand new Ferrari, as oppose to a custom/personalized model.
Ability to generate money now has no correlation to the ability to preserve money.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Few more will go and it will have nothing to do with ESL just like Jose sacking has nothing to do with ESL.

They will be sacked because they will fail in their season objectives.

tomaldinho1

Few more will go and it will have nothing to do with ESL just like Jose sacking has nothing to do with ESL.

They will be sacked because they will fail in their season objectives.
Maybe that’s relevant for Pirlo but who else? Arteta?
If Klopp does walk that argument does immediately, no way they’d sack him even if he misses out on CL.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Maybe that’s relevant for Pirlo but who else? Arteta?
If Klopp does walk that argument does immediately, no way they’d sack him even if he misses out on CL.
From the 12 clubs that are part of ESL, I can see only Pirlo and Arteta losing their job. Rest all are safe, or looks safe.