Film Eternals (Marvel)

Moby

Dick
My biggest criticism of the movie is its tone. MARVEL have, for the most part and much to the annoyance of certain cinema goers, known when to execute dramatic, serious scenes with the added quip/ humorous moments. Not this film. It felt jarring at the most of times.
It's funny that MCU gets shot for being formulaic and when they try something new it gets slammed for not being marvel enough.

I'm sick and tired of watching that formula but there is a lot of interesting literature to tap from which I'd like to watch without it being a lolfest between John Cena and chris Pratt or whatever.

Seeing how it got received they are likely to just continue doing the same stuff and can't be blamed for it.

Sylar

Watched this on D+ today (first marvel movie I haven't seen in the cinema in ages)

It was different but I enjoyed it. Maybe a bit too long but some of the characters were great fun to watch in this type of movie
It really felt like a different non mcu movie and visually was fantastic

Interesting to see where this goes in the timeline given we know have a big feckkng celestial statue in the sea and on the planet, which should be a big deal for every mcu property going forward

Enjoyed the second end credit

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Totally disagree with that. They tried a new formula and the cast did a decent job for most part. If nothing else at least it attempted at a half decent plot as compared to the random movies that come out every month like ant man etc. Black panther was highly rated and that is unwatchable for me and there are a lot of superhero movies like that which just try to pack a bunch of jokes some fights maybe 2-3 fan service dialogues get Kendrick to fire an album and release that.
Black panther is unwatchable for you? Probably has the most interesting "villain" in all the MCU.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I watched this last night and struggled to finish it. It was ok but I found it far too long. I thought it was pretty boring. I can’t imagine I’ll watch it adding.

SirAnderson

Just watched this today. Enjoyable but highly confusing as always, since its such a mission to keep up with what is going on in this multiverse and with movies coming out after you have mostly forgotten what happened in the others.
Anyway, enjoyed it regardless, but again...cliffhangers are the order of the day when it comes to Marvel movies. Frustrating, but I keep coming back for them.

decorativeed

Just watched this today. Enjoyable but highly confusing as always, since its such a mission to keep up with what is going on in this multiverse and with movies coming out after you have mostly forgotten what happened in the others.
Anyway, enjoyed it regardless, but again...cliffhangers are the order of the day when it comes to Marvel movies. Frustrating, but I keep coming back for them.
I watched this the other day and I thought that it was one of very few recent Marvel films you could go into without seeing all of the preceding films. They even explained what Thanos did in case you totally missed all that stuff.

For me it was a mixed bag. They could have really improved the whole thing by dropping two or three characters and focusing on those that remained. The design and execution of the deviants was substandard, and really stuck out like a sore thumb against the more naturalistic lighting and atmosphere of the rest of the film. Over all, it was a lot better than I'd been expecting, to be honest. The first half hour wasn't the best in terms of pacing, and I was glad there wasn't a generic ending, although a couple of things that happened just after the climax seemed lazily written and nonsensical.

Skills

Snitch
Fell asleep watching this. Its shit. There's not a single likeable or memorable character in the movie

Ekeke

I'd give it a 6.8/10 which is higher than I was expecting. The main issue for me was the lack of character development time and Cersi being the main character but also being the most boring of them all, except her powers. Thought some of the cgi on Jolie especially was a bit off where they suddenly cut from clearly showing you its Angelina into a far away shot of someone else doing a bunch of flippy shit with unnatural cgi movements.

I'm not much of a marvel fan, although the xmen cartoon and some of the comics I was certainly a fan of. But I can surprisingly say that if they made another movie with these characters, with more development on those characters I'm sure I'd give it a go.

Moby

Dick
They could have really improved the whole thing by dropping two or three characters and focusing on those that remained
Completely agree with this. I enjoyed most of these characters but they never gave enough screentime to them because they had a lot to fit in. Ikarus, Sersi, Thena, Gilgamesh, Phastos and Druig were all great. Need to focus on these more.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I'd love it if this is a mini series on their struggle across time with their sanity and boredom and loneliness.

Sucks that they have to resort back to being a marvel superhero movies at the end.

Kept thinking how'd they keel sane for 5000 years of loneliness. I'd probably goes crazy if iive that long.

Sylar

I'd love it if this is a mini series on their struggle across time with their sanity and boredom and loneliness.

Sucks that they have to resort back to being a marvel superhero movies at the end.

Kept thinking how'd they keel sane for 5000 years of loneliness. I'd probably goes crazy if iive that long.
And seeing everyone you care for die in a loop like that...

Moby

Dick

Yeah, I think the first movie should have only covered their origins, motivations behind their creation and history till current day. I loved that part, it had a lot of 'Westworld' like vibe where creatures who are meant to be dummies in the grand scheme begin to get attached to their environment, which was great. But they did it very quickly and moved to the whole emergence story which wasn't really that necessary, apart from forcing some sort of a climatic moment. Or at least could have done in a sequel because the uni-mind itself was a very interesting concept.

The source material definitely seems to be some of the better ones that has been picked in the MCU and has a lot to uncover. Although the lolfest nerds slamming it probably discouraged the studio to repeat this and they'd rather have a Ragnarok-esque multicolor theme park stuff again and again.

Stringer

It's mediocre like the vast majority of the Marvel films. Still significantly better than the new Spiderman movie as it doesn't just rely on people's nostalgia.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
It's mediocre like the vast majority of the Marvel films. Still significantly better than the new Spiderman movie as it doesn't just rely on people's nostalgia.
Kind of how I felt about it, minus the mediocre part. It was far from perfect but it had some interesting story beats.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
It was a bad. Not just the movie, but the whole concept of Eternals vs Deviants kinda feels like bad storytelling. I haven't read the comics, so just going by the movie.

- Their powers felt like replicas. Ikaris does a Superman-lite. Gilgamesh was poor mans Hulk, Kingo fires same firebombs like Iron Man, Druig is Prof Xavier. Ajak and Sersi are just plain boring. Xavier replica. Spirte, Thena and Phastos are the one with cool powers.
- The movies offers nothing for fan to cheer about their heroes. They are a dysfunctional family to start with and learn they are agents of a celestial doing morally bad (ambiguous at best) stuff.
- For 'Eternals' they certainly die quick.
- Ajak was uninspiring as a leader, followed by a equally insipid Seresi. Rather than themes of love and good, all that comes across is bad romance and amateurishness.
- Ikaris mind changes are just plain bad. It's like he just makes bad choices one after another by being stupid rather than have any gravitas behind his decisions.
- No character gets developed well.

Robertd0803

Watched it yesterday and thought it was pretty much a one and done type of film.

Hard to care about a load of random new characters and would only recommend watching it for the sake of completion.

buchansleftleg

For me this felt like trying to cram way too much pre-knowledge into one film. It's like if the MCU just started with Avengers Assemble and tried to tell all the backstories alltogether at the same time.

It just has vast expanses of plot exposition stated as fact with no mystery, no gradual reveal of detail and no time to build any relationship with the characters.

The big plot revelations, when they do come don't land as hard as they should do because we have just been presented with very statement of fact approach until that point.

The "deviants" are all really obviously cgi and don't seem well placed in the stunning natural locations used in the film. They just look like plastic models composited in and lack any muck, drool or bloodspatter....so fighting them has little stakes.

A few critics have said the film is trying too hard on the "woke" front but I actually found the scenes with the peripheral characters were the most convincing and natural ones, with the right mix of humour and seriousness. The science guy being the best example of this.

For me the 2 main characters, ikaris and Cersei were the most banal and deeply underwritten.

Ikaris seemed to have one key power that they didn't bother trying to control at any point...blindfold or goggles anyone?

I finished the film and found it quite "meh" until the mid credit scene, which, for me was just laughably badly acted and delivered. It felt like a bad you tube parody sketch and I hope to god that storyline gets dropped.

Gavinb33

I watched it a few weeks ago and i thought it was ok, my wife who normally detests Marvel movies watched it and said it was miles better than the usual Marvel movies i make her watch.

What i liked about it was the fact that some of the main Eternals died in the pursuit of the endgame of the movie and that their was actual peril involved for the remaining characters.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Thought Spider-Man was bad but this made it look like the Dark Knight in comparison. Felt like a really badly made DC film. Zero redeeming features.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I thought it was flat and, fundamentally, I never brought into the consequences and the gravity of the situation because we've been here all before with the Avengers and past MARVEL movies. Atleast with the Avengers and predominately the Thanos narrative it was built up from several movies and there was still a tiny little doubt in your mind about how they will execute the End Game storyline but here we are, yet again, with a dooms day/ end of the world scenario and it just felt monotonous and ,frankly, eye rolling.

Which is a shame but that's sort of the hole MARVEL have dug themselves now. End Game really was end game in alot of ways, for me atleast.
Every MARVEL film now is abit of a after thought.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
End Game really was end game in alot of ways, for me atleast.
I'd second that. I'm surprised that they started their next phase so quickly after Endgame. There's not really many places to narratively go after you've had a super group fight against the most powerful entity in the universe to bring back half of life without going even further down the route of insanity.

Give us time to digest what we've just had, let our expectation levels and need for scale simmer back down a little so you don't have to start your baseline so high to the peak of the previous stories.

I didn't mind this film that much but it the difference in power between the Eternals and Celestials is similar to the Avengers and Thanos. What's their plan after these phases are done? Have literal God Builders fighting against Super Duper God Builders? The film's will just have to be screens of pure white because our brains won't be able to process the reality that they all inhabit

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Terrible, bloated, generic characters, poor dialogue, outrageous levels of pointless exposition, underbaked stories for characters.

It was an absolute mess. We had close to zero explanation or lead in with regards to the powers of all the leads. How strong. What are their weaknesses?

They needed a three film arc to get to this films end game. I honestly did not care about any of them. Why should I care that Salma Hyeck died? Why would I invest in the betrayal she seemed to have experienced? I only got told about it 5 minutes ago.

Plus points : It really was achingly gorgeous. The raising from the planet, and the image of a hand and head was surprisingly affecting.

Drifter

American
It was not bad at all. The end credits with Thanos brother Eros was a nice surprise.

Sylar

I'm still thinking about that big fecker of a celestial body that just appeared and is now a landmark and why none of the Avengers investigated it
Unless they will in the next movies?
Or Dr strange and Wanda magic it away...

Moby

Dick
I'm still thinking about that big fecker of a celestial body that just appeared and is now a landmark and why none of the Avengers investigated it
Unless they will in the next movies?
Or Dr strange and Wanda magic it away...
Yeah. :lol:

I think that will become a part in the coming movies. Or yeah maybe they reverse it.

I mean, let's face it. This is comic books. Nothing is permanent. Superman died in one movie then came back flying in the next one. Thanos removed half the people who got brought back 5 years later and no one really cared. This shit is nothing. No one's gonna talk about all the earthquakes and tsunamis that killed a bunch of the population etc.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Terrible, bloated, generic characters, poor dialogue, outrageous levels of pointless exposition, underbaked stories for characters.

It was an absolute mess. We had close to zero explanation or lead in with regards to the powers of all the leads. How strong. What are their weaknesses?

They needed a three film arc to get to this films end game. I honestly did not care about any of them. Why should I care that Salma Hyeck died? Why would I invest in the betrayal she seemed to have experienced? I only got told about it 5 minutes ago.

Plus points : It really was achingly gorgeous. The raising from the planet, and the image of a hand and head was surprisingly affecting.
Guardians of the Galaxy pulled it off, but it had a script where pretty much every line added something to the character or the setting. GOTG also had to establish multiple alien locations and alien species as well.

They do need to make sure they have actual good scripts before they move forward. I thought this film was fine, but Marvel is supposed to be excellent. I think they missed a trick by lowering the tension and stakes so much after Endgame. It was like a reset to Phase 1. I think they could go all out in all their movies, spend Endgame levels of money, and they would make the difference back and more.

Perhaps it would slow production down too much. Or its just impossible to keep things on that higher level going forward, giving them nowhere to go from there.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
I enjoyed it and think most of the criticism is dumb or valid but exaggerated in terms of impact but I do agree that it should have been a TV series. With 10 characters, we should have had an episode dedicated to each one showing the lives they led after they split up. Huge time skips are just bleh. Also to have this as part of the MCU and then have a gigantic robot emerge from the Earth's core and not have the Avengers think 'huh, maybe we should take a look at that' is just weird. I feel like the big threat should have been lower stakes.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Guardians of the Galaxy pulled it off, but it had a script where pretty much every line added something to the character or the setting. GOTG also had to establish multiple alien locations and alien species as well.

They do need to make sure they have actual good scripts before they move forward. I thought this film was fine, but Marvel is supposed to be excellent. I think they missed a trick by lowering the tension and stakes so much after Endgame. It was like a reset to Phase 1. I think they could go all out in all their movies, spend Endgame levels of money, and they would make the difference back and more.

Perhaps it would slow production down too much. Or its just impossible to keep things on that higher level going forward, giving them nowhere to go from there.
None of the Guardians had powers or origin stories to justify them. They were just a rag tag band of misfits. Way easier.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I just watched it. I thought it was better than quite a few of the other Marvel films. Worse than any of the better ones though.

I don't understand what happened at the end. Sersi just randomly obtained the power to turn a Deviant into a tree and therefore it is logical she would have the power to turn a celestial into a giant snow stone sculpture thing? Did Ares sickness thing just magically get better? Why did the other deviant turn into a human like creature just by absorbing someone's power and what purpose did this even serve to the remainder of the film?

I swear these films are just getting lazier with the plot holes. They don't even try to fill them now. Its gone from random nonsense happening and being explained by some poor thought out plot device, to random nonsense happening and being explained because magic, to random nonsense happening and don't bother to even explain it at all.

I actually liked most of the characters. Except scottish superman and the little girl boy character who both just annoyed me, but then they both turned out to be the shiteholes anyway so fair play.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I watched it a few weeks ago. Thought it started very poorly and was wondering whether I'd even bother with the entire thing, but it turned it around and became decent. As others have said it's nowhere near the best Marvel movies, but it's certainly not one of the worst either.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
I watched it a few weeks ago. Thought it started very poorly and was wondering whether I'd even bother with the entire thing, but it turned it around and became decent. As others have said it's nowhere near the best Marvel movies, but it's certainly not one of the worst either.
It's in the bottom 5 in my opinion.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.

Yep, agreed.

It was frustrating because it looked so good and the cast is so good. The storyline made feck all sense and the dialogue was the worst I can remember from any movie in a very long time.

I'd put it as the worst Marvel movie to date. Can't think of any worse off hand.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
No way anyone watched Iron Man 3 and didn't hate it more than this.

Justice League is going to take some beating for awful dialogue as well
"Get dressed"
"I'm always dressed"