ETH: "We need new players and quality players. We will try and convince them to join." | Mirror: ETH believes FDJ will join Utd over Chelsea

Stacks

He's been sold a dud.
Quite rightly so. Although I question his decision making too looking at Martinez that he desperately wanted
who were we suppose to have got in when HE decided to not work with Rangnick who would advise on transfers and profile of players? It has left us just chasing Eredivisie former players and dudes like Arnautovic who ETH has also worked with. The whole season chasing De Jong and Anthony etc when plenty of decent players were available on a free transfer. So if ETH refuses to work with our consultant who said we need open heart surgery then surely ETH will then be leading the transfer charge no? Whats weird is my mate tells me his transfers choices from his former club flopped at Ajax and it was Overmars who was the mastermind behind getting the best talent.
EtH is at fault too because he wanted FDJ at all costs and we're still waiting.
We could have bought other players who then went elsewhere.

He doesn't know how to set his team against other teams who press us from the start and ALL teams will do this each and every game - Brentford players said it themselves and Brighton did it too.
Yup. The most amateur of strategy. Also should have moved on McTom when moneybags Newcastle were sniffing around. I'd have offered a package of Harold and Scott for £120m and rebuild. Maybe sign Pau and a midfielder. We are lame in the market especially at selling.

DrBenjamin

Supports
Ajax
who were we suppose to have got in when HE decided to not work with Rangnick who would advise on transfers and profile of players? It has left us just chasing Eredivisie former players and dudes like Arnautovic who ETH has also worked with. The whole season chasing De Jong and Anthony etc when plenty of decent players were available on a free transfer. So if ETH refuses to work with our consultant who said we need open heart surgery then surely ETH will then be leading the transfer charge no? Whats weird is my mate tells me his transfers choices from his former club flopped at Ajax and it was Overmars who was the mastermind behind getting the best talent.

Yup. The most amateur of strategy. Also should have moved on McTom when moneybags Newcastle were sniffing around. I'd have offered a package of Harold and Scott for £120m and rebuild. Maybe sign Pau and a midfielder. We are lame in the market especially at selling.
Something most united fans prob don't know.

Before Ten hag, Marcel Keizer was the coach. He was highly recommend by bergkamp and jonk.

He was 1st coach of the reserve team. In which he worked with all the youngsters from that champions league semi final. He played some amazing football with that reserve squad. Nouri was part of that squad too.

then after that lost uefa cup final against Manchester united. Peter Bosz left and Marcel Keizer got the job.

In that summer there was the nouri drama, nouri who went into coma :(. He was beloved by every player and staff. We got eliminated out of Europe in the qualification's. The nouri drama happened just before the qualifiers.

The rest of the season wasnt that bad. We played some very good football. But we where behind psv like 12 points. I dont think its that bad given the nouri drana impact.

Then all of sudden Keizer was sacked by overmars. One game before the winterbreak. This came as a complete surprise to everyone..he had a shaky start yes. But there was the nouri drama. He did get the sqaud back on track with some beatifull football. We smashed feyenoord and PSV with good football under him.

Keizer didn't deserve to get sacked..this was the general view of most supporters. With Keizer.. bergkamp was sacked too. The whole thing felt more like a attempt from overmars to get him in the position of most powerful. Because there where disagreements between Overmars, bergkamp and jonk.

Then in came ten hag. Overmars best personal friend. He was given directly 2 wingbacks by overmars. Something keizer repeatedly asked for but never got. Ten hag also brought his dearest friend/player from Utrecht with him. Zakaria Labyad. For 7 million. This guy

Ten hag finished 2nd. With some weird and bizarre choices/sqauds/substitutes/

Then that summer ajax raised the salary fee and transfer budget. Kept all their talents and stars. And Tadic and Blind where signed. So we had a super squad.

Ten hag just happened to be lucky to be in the right place and time. Never before Ajax had a sqaud like that. Yea once 20 years ago or so. We had a sqaud with zlatan, van der vaart, van der meide, trabelsi, sneijder, chivu. That sqaud almost got to the cl semi finals. But now we had some experience players with blind and tadic.

I know it sounds weird to say..that cl team who beat juve and real. That's not ' the ten hag playstyle' That's the ajax style, the foundation of that where build by Peter Bosz and keizer. Ten hag just happened to be at the right at the right time. Marcel Keizer would've achieved the same if not better.

there nothing special about ten hag. There are a lot ajax fans who are happy ten hag left. The season after that cl season. 19/20 now we begun to see what the real play style of ten hag is... Frenkie end De ligt left..

Ten hag bought Marin as a replacement for frenkie.. Based on one game of Ajax against standard liege where he saw him play. He was instant floppy.

The new qualifying campain started. Ten hag new master mind plan. Was to put two defensive midfielders in midfield. Alvarez and Martinez. Its not like mcfred. But it isn't also a good thing. We played against a Greek or cypros side I can't remember. We where very lucky not be eliminated by them it was on aggregate 4-3 or 5-4. Oh yea and an other buddy of Ten hag came. Quincy promes. We survived the cl qualification.

In the group stage against Chelsea at home we played with a coward defensive midfield. Alvarez and Martinez on the midfield. Ten hag who got his tactics wrong. We lost 0-1. Later in the away game, finally ten hag was brave enough to put the correct midfield the fans wanted. Martinez, vdb, and ziyech on 10! We where up 4-1..unlucky to get two reds in one foul. Which lead to 4-4. Later the decider game against Valencia at home. Ten hag went back to his old coward horrible tactics again. Playing with Martinez and Alvarez togheter on the midfield. Of course we lost 0-1 deservedly. The whole match was a shitshow because of ten hag tactics we where out of the cl. We went to Europe league to play against getaffe. Again ten hag tactics, line ups etc where horrible. Getaffe knocked us out of Europa.. A bit later on we went on the worst streak, draws, loses in the eredivisie in the history of ajax. We where still top somehow together with as. But we lost match after match. Corona was there and saved ten hag. With full stadiums ten hag would never ever be the manager again from ajax. There's no way the supporters are gonna accept that. But again he was lucky.. The eredivisie ended on 25 games because corona. Ajax where top of the table togheter with az. We had the better goal difference. They az had the better head to head. We where called champions because of goal difference. If that season didn't end we would've blow the eredivisie title because of stupid ten hag tactics

Last edited:
Reactions: Dargonk

lee82gx

Not much of a rebuttal, fell at first hurdle. Rangnick’s initial comments were squad was good enough to compete, few months later he said squad needed open heart surgery.
Not much of a counter rebuttal either. Rangnick's initial comments are simply based on what he's seen and observed from Ole's team, a season at 2nd place, and another half season of complete disaster. He only needed a few months to work with them to realise he was not quite right initially. So eventually he could be either right (that the team is a dud), and accepting that input would've saved us important time. If he was wrong, then why are we hearing similar comments so late, after a relatively blue ocean time of a transfer window?
Back to my initial post on this topic - what the heck was Erik doing for the past 4 months? Completely ignoring his predecessor's work, result, comments, and advice? Reinventing the wheel? Burying his head in the sand? You don't come to MUFC, set off on a pre-season, announce everything is fine, hunky dory and just need tweaking and then suddenly in the middle of the 2nd match against non-headline opponents say you need to do 11 substitutions (though he was right, his whole team sucked so hard, it WAS in need of 11 substitutions).
Another way to ask is what has he been seeing in pre-season that gave him such confidence, that suddenly requires a major rework?

Maybe I’m picking you up wrong. Are you advocating ETH out already?
Yes, you are picking me up wrong. I am not advocating ETH out, at least not yet.

I know, many fans and family of United are in a terrible state emotionally. And with emotions, it is easy to misconstrue things. But I want to present an objective review of ETH's first 4 months in charge (yes, it included 2 months of inactivity).
It has been utter disaster. As the manager and head coach you should :
1. Train your personnel and execute the game plan - Have you seen it? I haven't.
1.1 Make them be the best of themselves - OMG they are way below their personal best.

2. Identify and execute the plan to replace defective / inoperable personnel - We are only seeing Martinez and Eriksen in first 11.
2.1 Is it not plain to see we are roughly 10 starting eleven players away from a decent team? Since last season?
2.2 Is there no one to purchase with our vast kitty?
2.3 Sure, Murtough is our favourite scapegoat as he has the official title, but if he is not fired for not doing his work, perhaps it is because he is not at fault actually?

My rating for him is a D-.
No, I don't want him gone because of a D- on 2/4 months work. But for us to blindly throw our support at him and start hacking away at everyone around him is silly - He may just well be a (complicit) part of the exact machinery we are disgusted at. You don't love the face and hack the head.

Be objective, ask the critical question - Why is he saying he needs players now, and why was he saying he didn't earlier?

ryansgirl

Interesting to see all the irrationality/borderline hysterics coming from some posters on the caf regarding Ten Hag. Those of you suggesting or saying he should go/he`s over already/he shouldn`t have given players a clean slate/he shouldn`t publicly put trust in players/shouldn`t say anything in public that might put them offside and against him etc etc need a reality check.

Ten Hag is the new United manager. United tend to give managers time and yes, yes David Moyes wasn`t given much but so he shouldn`t have. He received the plum job with a team full of winners and proceeded to piss away the goodwill and achievements within a short time span. Small minded manager, club too big. Ten Hag is in a completely different situation, coming in after about a decade of instability and the fall of what was the Premier League`s powerhouse.

Ten Hag has been tactful to date and nothing he has said to the media has been inappropriate. He hasn`t singled players out publicly and despite the misinformation being thrown around on the caf by some, he doesn`t get to decided some crucial issues.

He knows that some of the so called big names who have played for their countries including Luke and Harry and De Gea are not up to it because they have technical weaknesses that are accommodated in a real Manchester United team, not in the imitations we have seen for too long now.

But how does he get rid of them? Not overnight, there are too many factors that weigh against getting rid of them quickly plus Scott who is also not up to it but less culpable than the `big names`. Keep Fred because he is good for the squad but should never be considered the first choice in a midfield.

Players can`t get Ten Hag`s system? Too bad, so sad - they have to go. United have to recruit more technically adept players and in that kind of United there will still be an important role for the likes of Ronaldo. Too many of the squad cannot handle thinking out of the box and Ten Hag should be given the `It`s my way or the highway` support at all levels of the club.

ryansgirl

There was a board disagreement
The simple truth. Even if they don`t know it, those supporters who are busy making assumptions about Ten Hag and what he can and can`t do need to realise one basic fact - he is not the Manchester United structure and doesn`t make unilateral decisions.

He has been given enough freedom to deal with a squad with too many players who are technically not up to it among other problems and let`s hope that is honoured by those in the boardroom.

ryansgirl

Not much of a counter rebuttal either. Rangnick's initial comments are simply based on what he's seen and observed from Ole's team, a season at 2nd place, and another half season of complete disaster. He only needed a few months to work with them to realise he was not quite right initially. So eventually he could be either right (that the team is a dud), and accepting that input would've saved us important time. If he was wrong, then why are we hearing similar comments so late, after a relatively blue ocean time of a transfer window?
Back to my initial post on this topic - what the heck was Erik doing for the past 4 months? Completely ignoring his predecessor's work, result, comments, and advice? Reinventing the wheel? Burying his head in the sand? You don't come to MUFC, set off on a pre-season, announce everything is fine, hunky dory and just need tweaking and then suddenly in the middle of the 2nd match against non-headline opponents say you need to do 11 substitutions (though he was right, his whole team sucked so hard, it WAS in need of 11 substitutions).
Another way to ask is what has he been seeing in pre-season that gave him such confidence, that suddenly requires a major rework?

Yes, you are picking me up wrong. I am not advocating ETH out, at least not yet.

I know, many fans and family of United are in a terrible state emotionally. And with emotions, it is easy to misconstrue things. But I want to present an objective review of ETH's first 4 months in charge (yes, it included 2 months of inactivity).
1. Train your personnel and execute the game plan - Have you seen it? I haven't.
1.1 Make them be the best of themselves - OMG they are way below their personal best.

2. Identify and execute the plan to replace defective / inoperable personnel - We are only seeing Martinez and Eriksen in first 11.
2.1 Is it not plain to see we are roughly 10 starting eleven players away from a decent team? Since last season?
2.3 Sure, Murtough is our favourite scapegoat as he has the official title, but if he is not fired for not doing his work, perhaps it is because he is not at fault actually?

No, I don't want him gone because of a D- on 2/4 months work. But for us to blindly throw our support at him and start hacking away at everyone around him is silly - He may just well be a (complicit) part of the exact machinery we are disgusted at. You don't love the face and hack the head.

Be objective, ask the critical question - Why is he saying he needs players now, and why was he saying he didn't earlier?
So your rating for Ten Hag is a D-? There is not even a ranking low enough to express your complete oblivion to the realities of Ten Hag`s appointment, role and abilities.

Two games in of a new manager confronting years of mismanagement at organisational level, poor recruiting, technically inept players and a managerial merry-go-round.

Those are facts. Your whinging post is not.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Getting rid of RR and the scouts is part of the problem, we are now reliant on ETH identifying players which is what the scouts and DOF should have been doing, hence why we are only really linked with players ETH has worked with or identified whilst at Ajax.

The owners have the ultimate responsibility to ensure the manager has the right team around him to help the transition.

Again they failed.

Footyislife

Why are we blaming the employees? This is on the ownership again WE CONTINUE TO MAKE IDIOTIC DECISIONS BY NOT HIRING THE MOST QUALIFIED PERSONNEL.

They let go of a competent DOF consultant for his unflattering but true assessment in favor of our inexperienced DOF duo & a coach who has no DOF experience who will obviously lie on his resume to get the job.

Why are we suprised at the poor outcome here? The optimal & simple move here was to hire a DOF that is familiar with the style of play ETH wants (Overmars risky given his transgressions but surefire bet if you do a PR reform campaign) & then tell ETH he can have the role under that condition. Guarantee you we would have 5-6 more deadwood players gone & 5-6 young new players already and had at least 4 points.

lee82gx

So your rating for Ten Hag is a D-? There is not even a ranking low enough to express your complete oblivion to the realities of Ten Hag`s appointment, role and abilities.

Two games in of a new manager confronting years of mismanagement at organisational level, poor recruiting, technically inept players and a managerial merry-go-round.

Those are facts. Your whinging post is not.
Not that my D- matters much, how would you rate his first 2 matches and 4 months?
You also say it as though you know a lot of the realities of his Appointment, and R&R's. I honestly say as an outsider looking in I know nothing . You seem to know so much, can you say something that is verifiably true that makes me change my mind about him and give him an A? (Again - I don't think it matters, 2 matches in, I am prepared for this to get worse). I do blame him if the work is not up to par.

Stacks

Before Ten hag, Marcel Keizer was the coach. He was highly recommend by bergkamp and jonk.

He was 1st coach of the reserve team. In which he worked with all the youngsters from that champions league semi final. He played some amazing football with that reserve squad. Nouri was part of that squad too.

then after that lost uefa cup final against Manchester united. Peter Bosz left and Marcel Keizer got the job.

In that summer there was the nouri drama, nouri who went into coma :(. He was beloved by every player and staff. We got eliminated out of Europe in the qualification's. The nouri drama happened just before the qualifiers.

The rest of the season wasnt that bad. We played some very good football. But we where behind psv like 12 points. I dont think its that bad given the nouri drana impact.

Then all of sudden Keizer was sacked by overmars. One game before the winterbreak. This came as a complete surprise to everyone..he had a shaky start yes. But there was the nouri drama. He did get the sqaud back on track with some beatifull football. We smashed feyenoord and PSV with good football under him.

Keizer didn't deserve to get sacked..this was the general view of most supporters. With Keizer.. bergkamp was sacked too. The whole thing felt more like a attempt from overmars to get him in the position of most powerful. Because there where disagreements between Overmars, bergkamp and jonk.

Then in came ten hag. Overmars best personal friend. He was given directly 2 wingbacks by overmars. Something keizer repeatedly asked for but never got. Ten hag also brought his dearest friend/player from Utrecht with him. Zakaria Labyad. For 7 million. This guy

Then that summer ajax raised the salary fee and transfer budget. Kept all their talents and stars. And Tadic and Blind where signed. So we had a super squad.

Ten hag just happened to be lucky to be in the right place and time. Never before Ajax had a sqaud like that. Yea once 20 years ago or so. We had a sqaud with zlatan, van der vaart, van der meide, trabelsi, sneijder, chivu. That sqaud almost got to the cl semi finals. But now we had some experience players with blind and tadic.

I know it sounds weird to say..that cl team who beat juve and real. That's not ' the ten hag playstyle' That's the ajax style, the foundation of that where build by Peter Bosz and keizer. Ten hag just happened to be at the right at the right time. Marcel Keizer would've achieved the same if not better.

there nothing special about ten hag. There are a lot ajax fans who are happy ten hag left. The season after that cl season. 19/20 now we begun to see what the real play style of ten hag is... Frenkie end De ligt left..

Ten hag bought Marin as a replacement for frenkie.. Based on one game of Ajax against standard liege where he saw him play. He was instant floppy.

The new qualifying campain started. Ten hag new master mind plan. Was to put two defensive midfielders in midfield. Alvarez and Martinez. Its not like mcfred. But it isn't also a good thing. We played against a Greek or cypros side I can't remember. We where very lucky not be eliminated by them it was on aggregate 4-3 or 5-4. Oh yea and an other buddy of Ten hag came. Quincy promes. We survived the cl qualification.

In the group stage against Chelsea at home we played with a coward defensive midfield. Alvarez and Martinez on the midfield. Ten hag who got his tactics wrong. We lost 0-1. Later in the away game, finally ten hag was brave enough to put the correct midfield the fans wanted. Martinez, vdb, and ziyech on 10! We where up 4-1..unlucky to get two reds in one foul. Which lead to 4-4. Later the decider game against Valencia at home. Ten hag went back to his old coward horrible tactics again. Playing with Martinez and Alvarez togheter on the midfield. Of course we lost 0-1 deservedly. The whole match was a shitshow because of ten hag tactics we where out of the cl. We went to Europe league to play against getaffe. Again ten hag tactics, line ups etc where horrible. Getaffe knocked us out of Europa.. A bit later on we went on the worst streak, draws, loses in the eredivisie in the history of ajax. We where still top somehow together with as. But we lost match after match. Corona was there and saved ten hag. With full stadiums ten hag would never ever be the manager again from ajax. There's no way the supporters are gonna accept that. But again he was lucky.. The eredivisie ended on 25 games because corona. Ajax where top of the table togheter with az. We had the better goal difference. They az had the better head to head. We where called champions because of goal difference. If that season didn't end we would've blow the eredivisie title because of stupid ten hag tactics
United fans would never know this because they jump on any bright shiny toy and think every manager who appears a "footballing manager" is the next Pep and we must get him. The intricacies will always be overlooker. I always felt ETH had it all to prove personally as its not like he built a dynasty and we are signing Klopp (2 x Bundesliga winner and CL finalists) or Jose fresh off the CL win with Porto. ETH hasn't actually done all that much for all the praise so I'm watching and waiting to be perfectly honest. Here's hoping he can make it work

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama

Very interesting. Anything else we should know?

Wing Attack Plan R

We need a rebuild, not reinforcements. The players we are being linked with (aside from DeJong) are in no way part of a rebuild, but instead are a kind of first aid/triage.

To rebuild we have to get rid of the dross branch and root, and have an entire first XI who understands how to play in a way that leads to trophies. No one wants to join this team with a wantaway fading star, comical defenders, a nonexistent midfield, and so on. We are an unattractive proposition.

So the only way out is to redefine the football we play with players who can go out and execute. If this means half our team is Ajax players and the other half is academy kids like Savage, Iqbal, Garnacho, et al, then so be it. We have to play attractive football first, and we don’t. None of these players like Rabiot are going to transform us. Our only hope is/was that DeJong would open the floodgates. He was the first piece of the puzzle. As such, we should have paid over the odds, got him aboard the Good Ship Ten Hag, and move on to shed some ballast and bring in more players who get it.

It might need a full blown relegation to rid us of the expectations that are crippling our players with fear. There’s no world in which Maguire, Fred, McTominay, AWB, Shaw, Lindelof, et al, are going to be champions. Those players aren’t going to attract the players we need either. We keep sailing on with a sinking ship thinking a new sail might do the trick, when the ship needs sinking.

The players in our first team need replacing; it’s only a question of how much despair we want to live through before it happens. That means Chelsea / oil country levels of spending, and that means the Glazer business model will have to be upended. It won’t happen unless they sell.

So instead of thinking we’re just a few signings away from making Keane proud, we should realize we are so far behind that the only solution is to play entirely different football, with academy grads and ETH acolytes.

Or accept being a mid table club. We spend enough to stay above 15th but we are never winning the league again with these owners, this approach, and slowly replacing mediocre players with more mediocre players.

Sir Erik ten Hag

Interesting. But Ajax displayed good performance in the Champions League last season (Including demolishing Dortmund 4-0 with great football). So Ten Hag also got the credit for rebuilding Ajax back to a fighting stance after the golden crop of De Jong - VDB - Ziyech - De Ligt were raided.

If ALL Ten Hag has to show for is the season from 3-4 years ago, he would get the Jardim/Sarri treatment in the media: One-season wonder.

Roboc7

Your now moving goalposts after your example was completely wrong/made up. I didn’t waste time with rest of it when first point was total nonsense.

Red Pumpkin

Supports
Bayern Munchen
You can’t still be arguing that the players are fine and just need the right coach?

First of all it’s not likely that Conte would wave a wand with this rabble; he would have tried to change most of the players and would end up chucking his toys across the stadium.

Secondly, if there is only one coach in the world who could get a tune out of the players, it’s really not a coaching problem.
You do have a fair bit of dead wood. But players like Pogba, Lukaku have already succeeded under Conte as well as other coaches in the NT. Di Maria would have succeeded under most managers, unfortunately van Gaal has a terrible track record regarding south americans for some reason. With the possible exception of Lukaku the others simply aren't leaders despite their talent. No problem in most teams.

Conte can't just wave his wand, of course. He would need the help of at least 4-6 senior players leading by example. Like the Chelsea spine of Terry, Lampard, Ballack, Drogba, Cech. More than just pure quality it was about mentality.

And the absolute most scary example of mentality monsters is probably Inter 2010. A team full of NT captains.

Cordoba, Zanetti, Eto'o, Lucio, Stankovic, Sneijder, Muntari, Materazzi, Chivu, Pandev - 10!!!
+ experienced unofficial captains like Toldo, Thiago Motta, Julio Cesar, Maicon, Milito, Cambiasso, Walter Samuel.