Ethan Galbraith image 99

Ethan Galbraith Northern Ireland flag

2021-22 Performances

View full 2021-22 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yagami

Good post resistant
From the clips, he looks really good, for those who follow him, how does he compare against other young CMs like Gavi for example?
Gavi is already further along in his development as he's a rare talent that can take to top level senior football as a teenager in his stride. Galbraith - whilst looking very good for Doncaster - and has looked good against senior teams for our u23s, has still yet to play a game at the top level so you'd assume ours and N.Ireland's coaches think he still needs to develop before throwing him in.

In terms of their positions, they're a bit different in that Gavi seems to be an 8 whereas Galbraith is a 6 who sits for the most part. I'd say the young Barcelona midfielders that are comparable to him in terms of style are Jorge Alastuey and Biel Vicens. The midfielders who sit deep and try to dictate games, but are press resistant and can carry/turn with the ball if there are no passing options.

I've said this before but, a few years ago, I watched a mini u16 tournament featuring Ireland, N.Ireland, Wales and Scotland and Galbraith was head and shoulders above everyone there but one - Chelsea's (then Rangers) Billy Gilmour. I'd say Gilmour was better that tournament but he's currently struggling in the premier league so maybe league one and, in January, a championship loan will do Galbraith a world of good instead of throwing him in at the highest level right now.

Personally, I've always preferred him over Garner and Levitt and hope he gets a chance from Ole as I do think he can make it here if given the chance. If not, I think he can still have a career in a top league. I hope so, anyway!
Thanks for the tag mate, have already seen this highlight.

I was hoping he would get a callup to the senior team. I know they lost 3-0 but he showed good composure against a team that likes to keep the ball.
Have to say I'm surprised he wasn't called up to the senior team, too. I mean, they've called him up and gave him his debut whilst playing for our u23s so I would've thought - with playing first team football now - he'd be even more of a shoo-in for a call-up.

Yagami

Good post resistant

Turns like Xavi, pings it like Scholes

DevTheRed

Had another good game today, 1 assist and nearly scored a worldie from what I’ve seen on Twitter! Really excited about this lad.

pascell

After watching him for the u23s last season, I felt he came on leaps and bounds last season. Good to see him continue it into first team football, should be playing in the Championship though, League One for six months serves a purpose but can only offer him so much towards his development.

DevTheRed

I think he may have been playing as a rwb today. I'm hoping for another highlight video to see.
Yeah I think you’re right judging by SofaScore, no doubt there will be one out in a couple of hours!

Yagami

Good post resistant
After watching him for the u23s last season, I felt he came on leaps and bounds last season. Good to see him continue it into first team football, should be playing in the Championship though, League One for six months serves a purpose but can only offer him so much towards his development.
True, but at least he's playing consistent 90 mins against senior teams now. It's so annoying when we loan a player out and he never plays. As you say, a championship loan in January will - hopefully - be nice, though.

Personally, depending on our situation in January, I wouldn't be opposed to keeping him as a first team option. I think a cm like him who can keep the ball under pressure could be very handy.
Yeah I think you’re right judging by SofaScore, no doubt there will be one out in a couple of hours!
Hopefully, mate! The chap who makes these comps is a trooper.
He has a great range of passing which is similar to Garner, though he seems more mobile/agile when being pressed. Perhaps not as strong defensively as Garner is? Maybe he's more of an old man Scholes to Garner's Carrick.
I think that's all fair, mate. Passing I don't think there's much in it between them, Garner's better defensively, but Galbraith's press resistance and ball carrying is on another level, and that's what separates them for me.

Mr PG

Better than McTominay . Surely we have to get either him or Garner back in January.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Something to cheer us up after the Liverpool debacle:

What a performance out of position (though he did play rb a few times for the u18s). He sure does love a La Pelopina :drool:

DevTheRed

Another good performance from him today against Cambridge. Scored a great goal from about 25 yards out and also created plenty of chances with the most touches and passes in the game.

Seems to be playing a free role from the RWB position, getting plenty of joy!

Marwood

I think he looks really similar to Bernardo Silva.

Really hoping he can put those performances in at a higher level. Just the type we need.

I didn't think he'd make it a couple of years ago but seems to have really improved physically. Much quicker now.

Yagami

Good post resistant
After his first assist at senior level in his last game, he's only gone and scored his first senior goal last night!

Looking forward to a match comp. He apparently ran the show again according to Doncaster fans.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Looked like he was running the show, really nice accurate passing from the lad.
Not just his passing but those quick 180/360 turns (la pelopinas) to keep the ball under pressure are magnificent. His agility and balance are top tier stuff.

I'm only hearing great things about him from Doncaster fans. One said he's the best loan signing they've ever had.
He looks like a great prospect - fingers crossed he makes it.
I'm really hoping he gets a chance here. I think he'd grab an opportunity like that with both hands and never look back. He's a type of midfielder we've been crying out for since Scholes.

By the way, I think he may make the Northern Ireland first team instead of joining up for the u21s for the next fixtures, mate. After the disappointment of not qualifying, I think the manager may be up for some tinkering.
His game intelligence is what sets him apart. Absolute baller.
The fact that he's slotted into rb to cover for injuries, but has played that position in a Pep way of staying at rb to defend but come inside and dictate the game in possession has been flawless.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Not heard anything about his performance today but Doncaster lost 4-0 to Charlton and their manager looks like he may be getting sacked. This may effect his loan.

The positive is, after their defeat to Charlton, Galbraith seems to be the only player who isn't getting any criticism. Either he doesn't get mentioned when Doncaster fans are singling out poor performers or you get people saying "our signings have been terrible aside from Galbraith" .

I'm hoping a video of his performance is made as it'll be great to see him playing at a classic stadium in the valley.

Yagami

Good post resistant

Also, as expected, he's been called up to Northern Ireland's senior team. Hopefully he plays against Italy and we see him vs Verratti!

VanDeBank

Ma’am

Also, as expected, he's been called up to Northern Ireland's senior team. Hopefully he plays against Italy and we see him vs Verratti!
Thanks for the update.

He's class. Can't wait to see him in preseason.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Thanks for the update.

He's class. Can't wait to see him in preseason.
No probs! Though, unfortunately, I wouldn't hold your breath about seeing him in preseason.

What makes you say that with such authority?

statistically you’re probably right but we will see
A couple of reasons.

He's too far down the pecking order. As long as Ole's here, Fred and McTominay are going to be favourites, and, as Ole doesn't really promote youth, we'll be lucky to promote one central midfielder and Mejbri will be first choice. Plus, Ole is desperate to buy more cms ASAP which will push him further down the pecking order.

Another thing is the type of cms Ole seems to like. Personally, I don't think Ole would want a small technical player as his deep sitting midfielder. Galbraith does get stuck in but I think his size will be one of the factors in him not getting promoted here.

If it were up to me I'd recall him in January and stick him in the first team. We're crying out for a cm like him and it's not like our current midfield - regardless of who's playing - is pulling up any trees. He'll work just as hard as Fred and McTominay but will also provide a midfielder who can advance play through his passing and dribbling, and also be able to keep the ball under pressure. Basically, a younger, smaller Matic who actually has the legs to play more often than not.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Probably not under Ole. But if his successor is a Ten Hag or Potter he has qualities that they will look to bring into our midfield.

Just asking, If we played Galbraith as our CM and Ten Hag or Potter was our manager next year - you wouldn't pressure them to win the title right?

It just doesn't seem right.

JohnnyLaw

Just asking, If we played Galbraith as our CM and Ten Hag or Potter was our manager next year - you wouldn't pressure them to win the title right?

It just doesn't seem right.
Well I would because that’s the job they’d come into do, but the question was wether we’d ever see him play for the first team. Not wether he’d be the long term answer to our midfield.

With a progressive manager in charge I wouldn’t rule out the possibility of Galbraith coming into rotation.

BlahRules

What makes you say that with such authority?

statistically you’re probably right but we will see
We have Garner and Mejbri are the two likely to get near the first team and even that I don't think they will make it when you consider that we will be buying Pogba replacement and maybe a DM. Also the liklihood of us not selling McTominay or Fred.

It's unfortunate that we don't have proper forward planning in place for young players to be integrated into the first team. Greenwood is just exceptional. Even then we have put a proper plan in place for him. SAF would have made Greenwood play on both flank to make him learn and then slowly play him as a striker. Similar to what happened to Welbeck.

BlahRules

Probably not under Ole. But if his successor is a Ten Hag or Potter he has qualities that they will look to bring into our midfield.
I feel injuries to other players will have a big part in him getting game time. There's bigger talents ahead of him that will get their chances first.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
We have Garner and Mejbri are the two likely to get near the first team and even that I don't think they will make it when you consider that we will be buying Pogba replacement and maybe a DM. Also the liklihood of us not selling McTominay or Fred.

It's unfortunate that we don't have proper forward planning in place for young players to be integrated into the first team. Greenwood is just exceptional. Even then we have put a proper plan in place for him. SAF would have made Greenwood play on both flank to make him learn and then slowly play him as a striker. Similar to what happened to Welbeck.
By most reports, we earmarked VDB and Hannibal for that role. Can safely say the former is't happening.

JohnnyLaw

I feel injuries to other players will have a big part in him getting game time. There's bigger talents ahead of him that will get their chances first.
Maybe but in reality there’s no actual queue into the first team. Rashford, McNair, Blackett, McTominay for example weren’t first in line when they came into the first team squad.

Most managers will pick the players that align with their style of play, not based off of hierarchy.

macheda14

By most reports, we earmarked VDB and Hannibal for that role. Can safely say the former is't happening.
If we somehow managed to get Ten Haag then the former will happen. Pogba is most likely off anyway.

Smores

That's the issue, we should be rotating in a youth player every year but we've now got a bunch who are due their turn. There isn't enough game time for all of them.

I'd hope we manage to give decent game time to one of Amad, Hannibal or Elanga soon and then one of our midfielders next season (probably Garner).

BlahRules

Currently, Ole and the coaches thinks Donny is Bruno's backup and Donny is looking to leave with the way it is going for him.

We haven't played Mejbri in a similar position as Pogba in midfield. Mejbri played all his minutes in the wing.

Unless we have a progressive manager, Mejbri will be played as a winger.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

I’m not sold on Garner personally, think he may turn out to be another greatly hyped but ultimately not good enough. Time will tell

I think Hannibal is lined up to play Pogba’s role

macheda14

Garner is supposedly not looking great this season. Had a look at the forest subreddit and they’ve said he’s looking a shadow of his former self

Status
Not open for further replies.