Ethan Galbraith

Mickson

Not sure about that.

He has played the majority of his career in the Academy playing against other 17 years olds. Jumping from Academy football to the first team is massive step...particularly a physical league like the Championship.

I wouldn't do anything until he has at least played half a season for the reserves. Then as always a view can be taken in January.
We are talking about Galbraith, who certainly is ready for a step up in his career.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
We are talking about Galbraith, who certainly is ready for a step up in his career.
But a step up at the wrong time can be as much of a disaster as it is a blessing at the right time.

Though I agree that it sounds logical, a player could get lost in an environment like that. Not just on the pitch either, off it.

I am always keen for our academy prospects to flourish, and I've always had an overly optimistic view of them to be fair.

Chucking some players in at the deep end works, with others they will sink and the latter doesn't necessarily mean they are bad players or never would have made it.

khoazany

Not sure about that.

He has played the majority of his career in the Academy playing against other 17 years olds. Jumping from Academy football to the first team is massive step...particularly a physical league like the Championship.

I wouldn't do anything until he has at least played half a season for the reserves. Then as always a view can be taken in January.
We are talking about Galbraith here not Mejbri mate.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Anyone remember David Pizarro? He reminds me of him. Such a good player to watch.

Yagami

Good post resistant
As well as playing both games for the U21, I've just seen he was on the bench in N.Ireland's game against Norway, too. Didn't come on, but he apparently had the number 3.

Tarrou

could see him making a few first team squads this season what with all the others potentially going out on loan

Yagami

Good post resistant
Wasn't going to watch the Villa friendly but I've just seen that Ethan got some minutes so I'll have to look it up now!

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Doubt the kid is gonna hit Nicky Butt's levels, very few Academy kids do, but you can see in parts of his game he's been coached by him.
During lockdown I watched all my recorded games on MUTV. Over 30 matches.

Galbraith was the one who I had underrated and surprised me the most.

He seemed far more ahead of most others and it wouldn't surprise me at all if he overtook Garner and Levitt.

The key of course is constant progression... so many players plateau.

khoazany

Actually I think he shines more after Garner and Levitt go out on loan. A midfield of 3 of them are overkill especially him and Levitt essentially are the same role, this current midfield of him, Mejbri + 1 suits him more.

Yagami

Good post resistant

During lockdown I watched all my recorded games on MUTV. Over 30 matches.

Galbraith was the one who I had underrated and surprised me the most.

He seemed far more ahead of most others and it wouldn't surprise me at all if he overtook Garner and Levitt.

The key of course is constant progression... so many players plateau.
I said the same ages ago. Whilst most were loving Garner and Levitt, Galbraith was the one who stood out for me. A year or so back when everyone was wanting the aforementioned players to get game time, I wasn't too bothered as I don't rate either that highly, but, with Ethan, it's a whole different story.

I'm glad the club are realising what a talent they have going by reports of him being on Ole's radar.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert

I said the same ages ago. Whilst most were loving Garner and Levitt, Galbraith was the one who stood out for me. A year or so back when everyone was wanting the aforementioned players to get game time, I wasn't too bothered as I don't rate either that highly, but, with Ethan, it's a whole different story.

I'm glad the club are realising what a talent they have going by reports of him being on Ole's radar.
Not sure this level will do much for him then. The amount of time and space he got on the ball in that video was surreal.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Not sure this level will do much for him then. The amount of time and space he got on the ball in that video was surreal.
Agreed. He got way too much space so I'm still yet to be convinced.

Nep77

Agreed. He got way too much space so I'm still yet to be convinced.
That's the same thing I asked on that match day thread to the people who has watched him regularly for long time. Everton didn't even attempt to press for once whole game giving him all the space to dictate the game.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Yep, he got a lot of space against Everton, but he's shown previously in high tempo/pressure games that he's very good at dealing with pressing opposition and playing in tight spaces. It's why I rate him as highly as I do.

I remember back when he was at Linfield taking part in the U16 Victory Shield tournament, he was the best player at the tournament alongside Chelsea's (then Rangers) Billy Gilmour. The way he dealt with pressure on the tight pitch they played on was only bettered by Gilmour, and you can see - even then -why our scouts picked him up.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Yep, he got a lot of space against Everton, but he's shown previously in high tempo/pressure games that he's very good at dealing with pressing opposition and playing in tight spaces. It's why I rate him as highly as I do.

I remember back when he was at Linfield taking part in the U16 Victory Shield tournament, he was the best player at the tournament alongside Chelsea's (then Rangers) Billy Gilmour. The way he dealt with pressure on the tight pitch they played on was only bettered by Gilmour, and you can see - even then -why our scouts picked him up.
Don’t doubt that. Was just a bit surprised about the time/space he got.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I do agree.

Honestly, upon reading back, my post was more fitting of a reply to @Adnan & @Nep77 !
He's talented there's no question about that mate. But I feel the Everton game and their tactics really helped him look better than he probably would've been against a team that was well drilled to close space high up the pitch.

But he's a very interesting talent mate and I'm really looking forward to seeing him develop further.

Ekeke

I agree he's been the standout in midfield for a while now and in various positions too not just in CM. But I dont think he'll make it here. I think he could maybe be a good player for a mid table premier league team and I'm not saying that others from the youth will be more than that either, but we have a lot of competition in the central midfield spots now. Its hard to see more than 1 or 2 even getting much of a chance starting matches

prateik

Just googled him.. has an instagram page with 50k+ followers.. great.. saw he is sponsored by Puma.
How? Why?

It must be so much harder for a youth team player to keep yourself grounded.

buckooo1978

watched the under 23s the other night and felt he's really developing well. His passing was very good

Showing great maturity and leadership in that midfield and looked every bit as ready as Brandon Williams based on thar game

might not make it at United but in line for a good career i'd say

Yagami

Good post resistant
He's talented there's no question about that mate. But I feel the Everton game and their tactics really helped him look better than he probably would've been against a team that was well drilled to close space high up the pitch.

But he's a very interesting talent mate and I'm really looking forward to seeing him develop further.
I think that's a completely fair point, mate. In general, though, I think he's very good under pressure so I wouldn't have been surprised to see him play well regardless.

I did think it was an odd setup from Everton. Prior to said game we'd conceded 12 goals from our previous 4 league games (I believe?) so we can clearly be got at.

I agree he's been the standout in midfield for a while now and in various positions too not just in CM. But I dont think he'll make it here. I think he could maybe be a good player for a mid table premier league team and I'm not saying that others from the youth will be more than that either, but we have a lot of competition in the central midfield spots now. Its hard to see more than 1 or 2 even getting much of a chance starting matches
As much as I like and rate him, I wouldn't bet on him making it here either. Though I do hold hope!

lysglimt

Scout
Considering the quality of our midfield - chances are none of them will make it. But the way I see it - we have Garner, Levitt and Galbraith who are all likely to feature either at top Championship-sides or P.L sides. So either one or more do break into our team - or we sell them and could probably raise £10-20 mill for each player.

Mickson

Just googled him.. has an instagram page with 50k+ followers.. great.. saw he is sponsored by Puma.
How? Why?

It must be so much harder for a youth team player to keep yourself grounded.
Well, he's a full international for Northern Ireland and plays for Manchester United, where he already has been playing for the first team (in a friendly) so maybe not that strange.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

Seems a stroll for him in that game. Would like to see more of him under pressure before I could honestly say he's better than Garner(levitt, I don't know much about at Charlton). Those guys play against some real hackers each week.

Very comfortable though, plays the game at his own pace, plays with his head up and has a good range of passing. Plenty to admire

Bestietom

That's the same thing I asked on that match day thread to the people who has watched him regularly for long time. Everton didn't even attempt to press for once whole game giving him all the space to dictate the game.
Maybe he finds space himself.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Maybe he finds space himself.
He does seem to be constantly on the move and finding area's to make a influence on the game but ,again, he's playing against inexperienced guys in the same age bracket.

This wont be new news to anyone but first team football and youth football is night and day, and that's one of the main reasons I take alittle interest in the hype of youth football.

Diablodave

One thing he offers is passion and aggression. He also appears to have eyes on the back of his head. A few times i've noticed he's looking everywhere before he receives a pass and distributes it. A real talent. The skies his limit.

I will also bet on him being the next Steven Davis for Northern Ireland and his exposure to the international team won't hinder him any.

We are very quick to judge these kids coming through but if you are 19 and promoted to train with the first team alongside the likes of Pogba and Fernandes, you must be rated and can only learn from those guys. Saying that, if he is knocking on the door, i am certain he will get his chance.

Fred may watch out. :D

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Sounds promising. Northern Ireland badly need a good quality midfielder so I hope this kids develops into a good player.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Came off the bench tonight for Northern Ireland. Hopefully he continues getting game time for them.