Ethan Galbraith

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Very nervy actually when he came on but good to see him.

We conceded the equaliser shortly after he came on before he even had a touch and then moved him to left wing which wouldn't have suited him. There's a position there for him without question given Steve Davis' advancing years. Hopefully gets out on loan and makes it his own very soon.

pascell

He looks very, very composed on the ball and has a solid passing range. Be good to see how he progresses over the next 18 months, maybe a loan to a Championship team might be good experience next season.

Thought Puigmal looks good as well, be a shame if we ended up losing him.

Yagami

Good post resistant

Sounds promising. Northern Ireland badly need a good quality midfielder so I hope this kids develops into a good player.
Very nervy actually when he came on but good to see him.

We conceded the equaliser shortly after he came on before he even had a touch and then moved him to left wing which wouldn't have suited him. There's a position there for him without question given Steve Davis' advancing years. Hopefully gets out on loan and makes it his own very soon.
I watched a youth tournament in 2016 containing N.Ireland, the Republic of Ireland, Scotland and Wales and, imo, he was the joint standout player alongside Chelsea's Billy Gilmour who was at Rangers at the time. Seeing Gilmour do so well at Chelsea gives me extra hope in regards to 'r Ethan!

N.Ireland were probably the worst out of the 4 there, but Ethan really stood out and I'm glad our scouts picked him up. He had a teammate who played as a 10 (I forget his name) who looked decent (though not on Ethan's and Billy's level) who opted to play for the Republic of Ireland instead. I think Arsenal ended up signing him, but I digress!

Anyway, outside of Mejbri (& obviously Greenwood), Ethan's the talent I've been most excited for whilst everyone else seemed to prefer Garner and Levitt who I don't really rate. Puigmal has been 2nd behind him for me for a while now, too, so I'm happy he's getting some attention at the moment.

jb8521

I watched a youth tournament in 2016 containing N.Ireland, the Republic of Ireland, Scotland and Wales and, imo, he was the joint standout player alongside Chelsea's Billy Gilmour who was at Rangers at the time. Seeing Gilmour do so well at Chelsea gives me extra hope in regards to 'r Ethan!

N.Ireland were probably the worst out of the 4 there, but Ethan really stood out and I'm glad our scouts picked him up. He had a teammate who played as a 10 (I forget his name) who looked decent (though not on Ethan's and Billy's level) who opted to play for the Republic of Ireland instead. I think Arsenal ended up signing him, but I digress!

Anyway, outside of Mejbri (& obviously Greenwood), Ethan's the talent I've been most excited for whilst everyone else seemed to prefer Garner and Levitt who I don't really rate. Puigmal has been 2nd behind him for me for a while now, too, so I'm happy he's getting some attention at the moment.
I think the number 10 was Jordan McEneff

Tarrou

the way he receives the ball and manoeuvres it in place to make a pass reminds me of Scholesy

Last edited:

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

Thanks for the info - I'll be following his career closely and really hope he makes it.

Brunsama

the way he receives the ball and manoeuvres it in place to make a pass reminds me of Scholesy
He really reminds me of Marco Verratti when I watch him play.

I had no idea about the youth tournament you refer to but ironically Billy Gilmour is the youth player I often compare our Ethan to. Really interested to see how they both develop over the next 3 years or so.

We have some really interesting prospects coming through all over the pitch at the moment, but the midfielders in particular are quite interesting as none of them are alike. Galbraith, Mejbri, Garner, Levitt & Puigmal all bring very different qualities.

Gordon S

Would love to see him in the first team squad next game. Not very likely but our current options for cm aren`t great imo

GwilDor

Would love to see him in the first team squad next game. Not very likely but our current options for cm aren`t great imo
Think there are relatively slim chances of any youngsters getting the chance in the current situation. The u18/23 and first team are different «bubbles», and the players can’t jump back and forth. Therefore the youth players don’t get the chance to train with the first team these days like they used to.
Barring some injury crisis i think we’ll see few debutants, even in the cups, before the end of the season...

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Think there are relatively slim chances of any youngsters getting the chance in the current situation. The u18/23 and first team are different «bubbles», and the players can’t jump back and forth. Therefore the youth players don’t get the chance to train with the first team these days like they used to.
Barring some injury crisis i think we’ll see few debutants, even in the cups, before the end of the season...
Aren’t a lot of them training with the first team? I know Pellistri/Mengi plus others are. They just can’t travel or change with the youth teams.

GwilDor

Aren’t a lot of them training with the first team? I know Pellistri/Mengi plus others are. They just can’t travel or change with the youth teams.
I don’t know the exacts, but i think that if you’re training with the first team you can’t play for the youth teams.
I base this on an OGS exclusive interview with the scandinavian supporter club a few days ago. Its behind a paywall but i’ll translate the part related to this.

The question is wether we can expect more academy players to make their debuts in the near future, and OGS answers:

« Of course we do hope the young players develop so much that they step up and knock on the door to the first team. But it has to be said we’re in a extreme situation these days.
Due to the pandemic we have a set number of players. You either have to be in our bubble, or their bubble. It is hard to make the decision; Is it best for the player to train with the first team, and don’t play, or is it better that they train with the u18 or u23. With u18 or u23 they can play matches aswell, and therefore we’re being patient at the moment.
Its a very special situation. It was different a year ago, when an u18-player could train with us(first team)for three days, and then return to training with the u18s.»

Mickson

You are right, and Brandon Williams obviously trains with the first team (and has played with the U23 more than once). Same for Pellistri and Mengi. Laird too, I guess. It makes it harder obviously, but they use separate changing rooms for the games. Meaning: Neil Wood makes two team talks, one for the youngsters and then one for Pellistri, Mengi, Williams, Rojo, or whoever plays.

kundalini

So I've been watching the game at Chelsea U23s, and I'm completely bewildered by the more optimistic posts in this thread. He looks miles away; unable to deal with opponents pressing him, losing the ball in dangerous areas, taking far too many touches, inviting trouble. He is up against players his age. How on earth is he going to cope against players 5 or 6 years older and so much stronger than Chelsea U23s ?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
So I've been watching the game at Chelsea U23s, and I'm completely bewildered by the more optimistic posts in this thread. He looks miles away; unable to deal with opponents pressing him, losing the ball in dangerous areas, taking far too many touches, inviting trouble. He is up against players his age. How on earth is he going to cope against players 5 or 6 years older and so much stronger than Chelsea U23s ?
It’s not the first time he’s struggled this season either.

voyasvirta

Any update here? Looked a real talent in clips circulating over summer
He's been good this season. MEN were reporting United could send him on loan in January. Also people have mentioned that he struggled massively against Chelsea but he was left to fend alone against a much talented Chelsea midfield.

khoazany

It's been the same issues since U18s day tbh (his passing was much better than before tbf). He looks like prime Scholes when opponents allow him space and times to operate. McCann is another one that tends to succumb under press.

NoPace

It's been the same issues since U18s day tbh (his passing was much better than before tbf). He looks like prime Scholes when opponents allow him space and times to operate. McCann is another one that tends to succumb under press.
Sounds like a player who should be in the Champo on loan as a "#10" now that that mostly means "midfielder with freedom to get into open space and get on the ball" rather than "guy who hangs out between the lines."

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I thought he along with Fernandez were very good and probably our two best players.

voyasvirta

Ethan Galbraith has now been added to the 'B' list for the Europa League.

Red Royal

I must admit to having seen very little of this lad play for U23s.

Anyone have any idea of what type of midfielder he is.. box-to-box, creative or defensive?

It is always nice to see a promotion for the kids, so hope he can be on the bench and maybe even vet some minutes tonight.

Remember the geese

Anyone have any idea of what type of midfielder he is.. box-to-box, creative or defensive?

It is always nice to see a promotion for the kids, so hope he can be on the bench and maybe even vet some minutes tonight.
He's a bit like an old man Scholes. Tends to sit deep often and attempts to dictate the game. Fairly press resistant and has a good strike from distance. Very good passing range and loves a nice 50 yard ping to switch the play. Probably works best as the piggy in the middle alongside a pure defensive midfielder and a more attack minded midfielder. If he improves his defensive game, he might become more of a Carrick type player.

Bwuk

Wouldn't be too surprised if he starts next to Fred with how many midfielders we have out.

I don't think we need Matic playing 90 today.

Ekeke

Can do it all and has played several roles, from being a sitting midfielder who will spray passes and get tackles in to playing in a wide position and going on a dribble. Can also shoot. Passing the ball around would be his main strength though

Dearg hÉireann

Cheers for posting. Nice and tidy in possession, interesting prospect.
Garner and Levitt seem to have got most of the spotlight over the last couple of years in the youth setup but he could outshine the both of them.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Looked like he did well, great for him to get some competitive games and maybe there'll be Championship interest soon enough if he keeps working hard.

Kweku Amonoo

Calm and tidy in possession. If he can learn to cope with pressing, he could be some player. Got high hopes for him.