Ethan Galbraith

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
County Antrim football star 'living the dream' after signing for Manchester United

Ethan Galbraith will travel to Old Trafford this weekend to put pen-to-paper on a three-year contract with the Red Devils

A Co Antrim footballer admits he is 'living the dream' after signing for Manchester United.

Ethan Galbraith will travel to Old Trafford this weekend to put pen-to-paper on a three-year contract with the Red Devils.

The 16-year-old impressed in two trials after being spotted by United scout Tony Coulter playing for Linfield Under 16s.

That led to a visit to Old Trafford back in January when Ethan signed a pre-contract in the presence of United's Head of Academy Nicky Butt and club legend Ryan Giggs.

The Glengormley teen - who is an Arsenal fan - will travel to Manchester this weekend to rubberstamp the deal, which will involve a one-year scholarship followed by a two-year pro contract.

"I went on a couple of trials last year after I was spotted playing for Linfield U16s. I must have done okay because United then offered me a contract in January," Ethan said.

"The trials were good, and I was playing with top players as well. Players like Angel Gomes who is moving onto the first team now.

"I played in a couple of friendly games and also some training sessions and it was a great experience.

"I signed the pre-contract in January and I will finally travel over to Manchester this weekend to live there and sign my full deal.

"It is one-year scholarship and then two-year pro deal. I will be playing with the Under 18s next season, but the big aim is to progress to the first team."

Ethan started his football career with Carnmoney Colts before playing for underage teams at Ballyclare Comrades, Glentoran and Crusaders.

The defensive midfielder also enjoyed two spells with Linfield before securing his big move to Manchester United.

"It is massive, and I am buzzing for it. I am over the moon," the excited teenager said.

"I signed my pre-contract with Nicky Butt and Ryan Giggs back in January. It was unbelievable meeting them.

"I went over to watch United play Liverpool at Old Trafford. Then I went into a wee room to sign the contract, and when I saw Giggs and Butt, it was mental.

"They told me how much work I would have to put in. They told me how much I need to work, and this is just the start of it.

"It is a challenge, but I can't wait for it."

Ethan's boyhood dream was to one day play full-time football in England, but even he admits signing for Manchester United is "surreal".

He added: "I am just a teenager from Glengormley who has always wanted to play full-time football. So to sign a deal with a club like Manchester United is massive.

"When I started out in football, my dream was to one day go to England and make a career out of it."I always wanted to do this from a young age, but to be honest I never would have dreamt of signing for Manchester United. It is amazing.

"I have always wanted to play football, and now I am getting the chance to do that.

"Since I signed the pre-contract in January, United have been sending me over stuff to do. Training and gym exercises, and also stretches. So I am ready for when I go over there."

Ethan will work under Northern Ireland man Kieran McKenna at Old Trafford.

McKenna - who used to work at Tottenham - manages Manchester United's U18 side.

"Kieran is from Ballinamallard. I met him and he is really dead on. It is good having someone from Northern Ireland over there,"
Ethan added.

"He used to be at Tottenham and then he came to United, so it is great having him here. He talks me through things."

Ethan is the current captain of Northern Ireland U17s and has also featured for the U18 side.The former Glengormley High School pupil hopes he can continue his rise through the ranks at international level.

"I would love to eventually play senior football for Northern ireland, but at the minute I am just concentrating on my club game and taking things from there,"
he added.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/county-antrim-footballer-star-living-10693770

ariel

Not sure but that picture could be from one of his trials when Giggsy was still at the club.
He says he signed the pre-contract in January, and Giggs was there. I presume it is January 2017, not 2016

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
He says he signed the pre-contract in January, and Giggs was there. I presume it is January 2017, not 2016
Ah yeah, you're correct. Well it says Giggs' status as "club legend" so perhaps he was just hanging around or meeting Butty. I imagine Ryan still has pretty wide access to OT, which is nice.

khoazany

Have seen him play a few times. He's generally a runner in midfield, comfortable on the ball and loves to do a Cruyff turn.

Utdstar01

Have seen him play a few times. He's generally a runner in midfield, comfortable on the ball and loves to do a Cruyff turn.
Club seem to be sure he's a very good prospect if they're confident enough to offer him a pro deal already?

Seems there was a few clubs sniffing around him, think he had trials with Liverpool too.

khoazany

Club seem to be sure he's a very good prospect if they're confident enough to offer him a pro deal already?

Seems there was a few clubs sniffing around him, think he had trials with Liverpool too.
Had basically unofficially signed for us since last year.

buckooo1978

this kid came just finished my school - the way he talked about Angel Gomes :drool:

NickyT

Good performance for the 23's today in the middle alongside Traore and Levitt, did well in retention, looked to switch play whenever he was on the ball, first time watching him at the level, good to see that the hype around his signing a couple years back wasn't a bluff

khoazany

Decent talent that were buried by the number of CMs we have at his age group (what did we think?)

jb8521

Strange one with Galbraith because he looked better playing centrally for the 23s yesterday than he has at any time playing the same position for the 18s
I don't think the style of play of the u18s makes the most of Galbraith's ability. He loves to spread play with long cross field passes & balls over the top where the u18s tend to play a lot more short quick passing which he is able to do but doesn't make him stand out. In another style of play & moving up the levels he could really begin to stand out.

Yagami

Good post resistant
What are people's thoughts on this chap then? I personally think he looks a good player.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Fantastic. Love that and the way Wales have involved several youth players in their senior side.

Wish Ireland would do the same with the many youth talents we have. Instead we just give debuts to 30 year old League One players.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
Fantastic. Love that and the way Wales have involved several youth players in their senior side.

Wish Ireland would do the same with the many youth talents we have. Instead we just give debuts to 30 year old League One players.
If only we had an All Ireland team!

Mickson

I thought he would be some kind of star for Northern Ireland U21. But instead, he was placed on the bench earlier. And now, against Romania, he was subbed early when their GK was sent off. Clearly not an important figure in the team, which is odd because 1) he has been playing for the first team and 2) because they seem to be rather shite. Anyone with knowledge regarding this?

Yagami

Good post resistant
I really like him. Out of all our young CMs (himself, Puigmal, Garner, Levitt, Helm, McCann) he's probably the one I rate highest. Though I still want to see more of Helm and McCann.

Not that I expect it to happen, but I'd love to see him make a match day squad with our current injury crisis.

RedNed77

Love how Gomes was moving into the first team in 2017. That aged well.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I really like him. Out of all our young CMs (himself, Puigmal, Garner, Levitt, Helm, McCann) he's probably the one I rate highest. Though I still want to see more of Helm and McCann.

Not that I expect it to happen, but I'd love to see him make a match day squad with our current injury crisis.
Oops, I somehow forget Mejbri! Okay, Galbraith is our second most promising CM for me.

Love how Gomes was moving into the first team in 2017. That aged well.
Our squad now is so much more thinner than the one in 2017. Right now, we only have Fred and Matic which is why I'd love him (or Puigmal) to make a match day squad.

Who knows; they might pull a Rashford!

In Rainbows

Oops, I somehow forget Mejbri! Okay, Galbraith is our second most promising CM for me.

Our squad now is so much more thinner than the one in 2017. Right now, we only have Fred and Matic which is why I'd love him (or Puigmal) to make a match day squad.

Who knows; they might pull a Rashford!
I like Gailbraith, but disagree. Think Levitt, Garner, and Gomes have an advantage by being technically superior allowing them to make the transition at the men's level where you get less time and space on the ball. Think we as a collective have started to compare their first team experiences and the other midfielders time with the u23s. If they were to have played as many u23 matches as Puigmal and Gailbraith, I'm certain they would look the better players.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I like Gailbraith, but disagree. Think Levitt, Garner, and Gomes have an advantage by being technically superior allowing them to make the transition at the men's level where you get less time and space on the ball. Think we as a collective have started to compare their first team experiences and the other midfielders time with the u23s. If they were to have played as many u23 matches as Puigmal and Gailbraith, I'm certain they would look the better players.
I know I'm in the minority but I prefer Galbraith to Garner and Levitt. I don't rate the latter two that highly myself. I actually think Galbraith's ball carrying/dribbling ability, as well as his quick turns and shielding of the ball under pressure would help him transition to first team football easier than them two.

Yagami

Good post resistant

The player he looks up to, and wants to play like, is Frenkie de Jong. Having seen him for the U23s a lot, I can see the similarities in their play.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

The player he looks up to, and wants to play like, is Frenkie de Jong. Having seen him for the U23s a lot, I can see the similarities in their play.
Seems like a sound guy, enjoyed his style the times I've watched him as well.

lysglimt

Scout
I know I'm in the minority but I prefer Galbraith to Garner and Levitt. I don't rate the latter two that highly myself. I actually think Galbraith's ball carrying/dribbling ability, as well as his quick turns and shielding of the ball under pressure would help him transition to first team football easier than them two.
Sorry but Garner is at least one level above Galbraith.

lysglimt

Scout
That is the general consensus, yeah, which is fair enough. I don't really rate Garner myself.
Don't get me wrong - I like Galbraith, I really do - but to me Garner has a lot more ability on the ball. Having said that - they are 2 completely different players - they are like one half of Scholes each.

Galbraith is the Scholes who finds space and sets the pace. Garner is the Scholes who delievers a 50 yard cross and hammers the ball into the top corner.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Don't get me wrong - I like Galbraith, I really do - but to me Garner has a lot more ability on the ball. Having said that - they are 2 completely different players - they are like one half of Scholes each.

Galbraith is the Scholes who finds space and sets the pace. Garner is the Scholes who delievers a 50 yard cross and hammers the ball into the top corner.
Be interesting to see who of Garner who drives the game like Keane, Levitt who spots a pass like Scholes, or Galbraith who wins the ball back and keeps it moving with the minimum of fuss like Butt, makes it United, it's unlikely all three will, but ....

lysglimt

Scout
Be interesting to see who of Garner who drives the game like Keane, Levitt who spots a pass like Scholes, or Galbraith who wins the ball back and keeps it moving with the minimum of fuss like Butt, makes it United, it's unlikely all three will, but ....
No - it's all about who can take the final step up. I would say all 3 have a chance - but I still rate Garner above the others at this stage

AP88

Supports
Man City
That is the general consensus, yeah, which is fair enough. I don't really rate Garner myself.
I think Garner has a higher ceiling as a ball-playing centreback in the seniors, where Galbraith and Levitt will be more useful in midfield because they know their physical limits and exploit space and use measured passing instead.