Ethan Hamilton

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
His mentality, from that article, reminds me of Gylfi Sigurðsson. It's that kind of mentality that separates similarly talented 16 year olds, 10 years later in their career.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Good parents looking after him there helps.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
@jb8521, @khoazany, @anybodyelsewhoknowsanythingaboutthisguy

Where do you see his long-term future positionally? I've been impressed by his all-round game and athleticism but he doesn't really strike me as a natural winger/wide mid. He's played centrally for the u16s, hasn't he?

khoazany

Where do you see his long-term future positionally? I've been impressed by his all-round game and athleticism but he doesn't really strike me as a natural winger/wide mid. He's played centrally for the u16s, hasn't he?
@Mrmujac would be able to answer this. (don't know why I couldn't tag)

Heard he played more centrally for the U16s and we have a lot of wingers at that age group so I would think CM will be his long-term future.

jb8521

Yeah I think he's more likely to play centrally although we could see him play a bit at left back because of our lack of options there

khoazany

His 2nd goal in two games.Had one good shot as well that was stopped.Don't know why he was at that position at the first place.

RedMachine03

Poster of Articles
Ethan Hamilton has explained why he views Darren Fletcher as an ideal role model as he looks to continue rising through the ranks at Manchester United and making his mark at international level, following a maiden call-up to the Scotland Under-19 squad on Tuesday.

The 17-year-old has already managed to earn a starting spot in the Reserves and marked his first start for Warren Joyce's side with an assist for Josh Harrop's winner in the Premier League International Cup against Villarreal.

After representing his country at Under-16 level, the youngster has been included in the national-team older age group for the European Championship qualifying matches in Andorra later this month.

A versatile performer, whose progress last term was interrupted by a broken ankle, Hamilton believes West Brom midfielder Fletcher is a great source of inspiration as he looks to maintain his progress at the Aon Training Complex.

"I played local football in Scotland for Hutchison Vale," he told ManUtd.com. "I think Darren Fletcher was from there as well. It's a good set-up and a lot of boys have come through to go to Academies and gone on to have good careers in football.

"They are based in Edinburgh and I stumbled across them by luck. I was there 10 years from five years old to 15 or 16. It's the Saughton area and I lived there.

"I do look up to Fletch a lot, just the way he holds himself on and off the field. I think he's a good role model to have and to act like an inspiration to try to follow the path he went through. He was really friendly to speak to and you could just tell he was a genuine guy who was really down-to-earth and normal.

"It's good to look up to him as a person. I think it's important to be level-headed, as you can get carried away with certain things. You need to keep your feet on the ground, just carry on and stay focused really."

Hamilton also had another idol on the field as a schoolboy, again with Manchester United connections.

"I was a Celtic fan," he revealed. "My English club would always have been United but I was a season-ticket holder up at Celtic. I was quite young but Henrik Larsson was always my hero. I know he was here at United as well and he was brilliant. He just used to score great goals and was an all-round great player."

Bwuk

His parents are smart. SFA behaving like clowns is no surprise either.

m1y2

Really liked from what I've seen of him, didn't know he broke his ankle, so hopefully he keeps working hard and progresses without injuries because I see some similarities with Fletch and he looks more talented than Darren at his age, he may not look as talented as Gomes/Buffonge or Gribbin as they are just more flashy but he is physically beast and with not bad technique at all, could be a dark horse in next few years and certainly his physique can grant him some starts ahead of his age group so fingers crossed..

FromTheBench

Really liked from what I've seen of him, didn't know he broke his ankle, so hopefully he keeps working hard and progresses without injuries because I see some similarities with Fletch and he looks more talented than Darren at his age, he may not look as talented as Gomes/Buffonge or Gribbin as they are just more flashy but he is physically beast and with not bad technique at all, could be a dark horse in next few years and certainly his physique can grant him some starts ahead of his age group so fingers crossed..
Can't claim to have seen Fletcher at that age tbh, but from what i've read and heard about him he was very highly rated as a youngster. Probably more so than Hamilton and though he had long term injury setbacks he was a standout at that level.

oskarutd

Fletcher was supposed to be on the bench as a 16 year old in a Premier League game for United, but wasn't allowed on grounds of being a schoolboy. So he was seen as a bigger talent than Hamilton, but Hamilton has been taking great strides lately!

Scholsey2004

Fletcher was supposed to be on the bench as a 16 year old in a Premier League game for United, but wasn't allowed on grounds of being a schoolboy. So he was seen as a bigger talent than Hamilton, but Hamilton has been taking great strides lately!
I remember reading that back in the day. You'd imagine that our staff know the rules in advance though so might have just been a bit of typical fergie positive reinforcement for one of the youngsters. The fact that Hamilton is playing and performing at u23 level at 17 is very promising. The ones that skip age groups seem to be the most highly rated generally speaking.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
From what I've seen, Whelan alongside him looks a bigger talent. More footballing ability.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
RICKY SBRAGIA has urged Manchester United’s latest Scottish prospect to follow in the footsteps of ‘icon’ Darren Fletcher.

Eighteen-year-old midfielder Ethan Hamilton is in Sbragia’s squad for this week’s Euros elite round, having earned rave reviews at Old Trafford since his switch from renowned Edinburgh-based talent factory Hutchison Vale Boys Club.

It’s the same move a young Fletcher made before going on to succeed where countless others have failed and establish himself as a Red Devils regular, not to mention captaining his country.

Former United coach Sbragia is well-placed to comment and he can’t imagine a better role model for Hamilton than the current West Brom skipper.

Sbragia said: “Fletch is a top man. He is everything you want a footballer to be.

“He came and played for the reserves and it wasn’t a problem.

“He’s a great example and I think he spoke to Ethan when he first went down.

“If you ever want to model yourself on someone as a pro, it would be Darren.

“The great thing about Darren was his attitude.

“I remember him coming down to the reserves.

“You didn’t have to tell Darren he had to play at that level. He knew he had to keep his standards high, and that if he didn’t he was stopping the development of another young player.

“He has nothing to prove. He’s an icon and one day I hope he brings all the knowledge he’s got into coaching.”

While Fletcher has been there, seen it and done it, Hamilton is just starting out, but the early signs are promising.

Dedicated to his schoolwork and determined to secure his dream switch south of the border, Hamilton and his family politely declined a string of rival offers from closer to home.

His decision to stick with Hutchie for so long baffled some within the SFA, who thought should be exposed to a full-time football environment at the earliest opportunity.

But the decision to go his own way has been vindicated, with Sbragia clearly excited to have him in his ranks.

He said: “Ethan’s a talent, no doubt about it. He went from Hutchie Vale to Manchester United and they have high hopes for him.

“He’s developed as a man. I met him and his family a few weeks ago to have a chat with him.

“Ethan wants to come away with us. He wants to play for Scotland and that’s really important.

“He’s a lovely lad and the people at Manchester United say he’s a great professional.

“Now he needs to play international football.

“He’s a box to box type, he’s got a great physique and he knows the game.

“The great thing for me is that he’s happy down there. He wants to learn, his education has been good and his mother’s down there living with him so he’s in a good place.

“He’s definitely got a chance at United. He’ll be given an opportunity and he’s played for the Under-23s there.

“I’d seen him four or five times so I was hoping he’d say yes. I’m delighted that he did. He was over the moon.”

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Thanks @jb8521

Manchester United wonderkid Ethan Hamilton on his dream journey from Edinburgh to Old Trafford

Young Scot Hamilton is now convinced he can make it to the level of Ibrahimovic, Pogba and Co – especially now he’s got his mum living with him again.

It took Ethan Hamilton a while to get used to sharing a canteen with the likes of Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Paul Pogba at Manchester United.

But the young Scot is now convinced he can make the grade at Old Trafford – especially now he’s got his mum living with him again.

Hamilton, 18, was tracked by United from the age of 12 and eventually signed for the English giants in 2014 from Edinburgh boys’ club Hutchison Vale.

When he first arrived fellow Hutchie graduate Darren Fletcher looked after him but now his Scots mum is by his side the midfielder has settled in and is thriving in United’s Under-18s team.

However, Hamilton admits it’s difficult at times to get his head around the fact he’s representing one of the biggest clubs in the world.

The Scotland kid said: “Life is great at United, I’m really settled down there now. My mum has now moved down so it’s all good.

“Initially, my gran came with me and my mum was in Scotland on her own. She’s now down doing all my cooking and cleaning.

“I’m enjoying it but it does take time to get used to the size and stature of that club.

“I moved straight from Hutchie to Man United so it’s just crazy. But if you think too much about the scale of the club you can get carried away.

“I’m at Carrington every day and it’s hard for me to put into words what it’s like being around the big-name first-team players.

“It’s amazing to see these guys, look at what they do, how they act around the place – and try to emulate them. I try to take bits of information from all of them.

“Fletch was brilliant with me from day one. He’d see me in the canteen and come over. He’s a friendly guy so he made me feel really welcome.

“He knew I’d taken the same route as him so I suppose he wanted to take me under his wing a bit.

“But just seeing the way he carries himself, I tried to take bits of that and watch how he played as well.”

Hamilton could have signed for a host of clubs at 15 but insists United were always his first choice.

He’s well aware of how tough it will be to emulate Fletcher’s success at Old Trafford but the teenager has faith in his ability.

He said: “United sign the best young players from all around the world.

“I’m just a boy from Edinburgh so you have to try to get your head around how you’re actually going to make it there. It’s so tough.

“But it’s all there for you at a club like that. All the coaching staff put everything into you to make you the best you can be.

“You just need to work hard every day. No matter how difficult it is to make it at United you need to have the belief you can do it.”

Hamilton was gutted this week as the Scots Under-19s crashed out of the Euros at the Elite Round stage in Czech Republic.

They lost all three games against the hosts, Austria and Hungary but the United kid refused to be too hard on Ricky Sbragia’s side.

He said: “We’re disappointed not to be going to the Euros. We felt we deserved more from the games. I love playing for Scotland. It means a lot to me.

“The ambition is to be playing for United and Scotland in a few years’ time. That would be great to do.”

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/...ster-united-wonderkid-ethan-hamilton-10116986

Sid234

Good to see him make the bench. Doubt he'll come on, but should be a good experience for him

Classical Mechanic

Another Scot. I was wondering why there was so little excitement about him making the bench.
I don’t think he is that good tbh, not for United. He was the only option. The other u23 midfield players are pretty poor. Mctominay is English anyway. He decided he was Scottish because he thought he wouldn’t be good enough to get in the England setup. Now his career is progressing he turned down the call up to the Scottish squad and is waiting to see if England come in for him.

Nicklas

Hamilton has been one of the better player in the U18s, but he obviously won't make the headlines in the same team as Gomes and Chong. Hard to judge him now in a struggling U23 but I rate him very highly - can pick a pass, great physique and a good shot on him. I guess he will take McTominays role in the squad soon enough.

khoazany

Hamilton is a good player, very well-rounded. Should not judge players in a context of a poor team.

khoazany

Is he better than McTominay? Considering he's a bit younger that should be good if he is right?
McTominay right now is more ready (as shown on couple U23s matches when they played together earlier this season) however Hamilton generally has more potential and has improved constantly.

mat85

Good to see him make the bench. Doubt he'll come on, but should be a good experience for him
"I think it’s a beautiful moment for the player, even if they don’t play. Gomes did play for us a couple of times in the FA Cup. Hamilton, it’s the first time on the bench. I think it’s beautiful for them. Of course I have on the bench four senior players ready to play, so I’m not going to play Gomes or Hamilton but I’m pleased to have them and I’m sure for them it’s also a moment."

He had zero intent to play them

Sid234

"I think it’s a beautiful moment for the player, even if they don’t play. Gomes did play for us a couple of times in the FA Cup. Hamilton, it’s the first time on the bench. I think it’s beautiful for them. Of course I have on the bench four senior players ready to play, so I’m not going to play Gomes or Hamilton but I’m pleased to have them and I’m sure for them it’s also a moment."

He had zero intent to play them
Didn't expect him to play, especially after he'd played 90 mins for the reserves on Friday. But I still think it's a good experience and motivator for younger players to be with the 1st team, train and travel with the squad.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He reminded me of Carrick playing in midfield in one of those youtube-videoes. Hopefully works his socks off on the reserves team and then gets himself a loan to a championship side after that. I bet the kid can make it here if he wants

kundalini

That's a decent loan for Hamilton.

There are a lot of players from the U23 PL2 who get National League, Non-League or League Two loans so to get a League One loan is very good, provided he gets games.

Indeed, to get a Championship loan as a young player these days, you either need experience on loan in League One/Scot Prem/Eredivise (Dean Henderson), some first team experience (Tuanzebe), be a regular for England U20s/U21s or be one of the stars in the top U23 division.

khoazany

Good loan. Rochdale does have good number of young players in their squad like Zach Clough, Callum Camps, Ollie Rathbone, Sam Hart (both our ex-youth), Connor Randall and Jordan Williams (ex-Pool youngsters) or Adshead the 17 yo that were linked to us before.

In Rainbows

Good for him. That won him more minutes. It's important to have a good first impression.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Meant to have had a very good game outside of the goal too with some fans giving him MotM. Very solid player who I like, don't see him struggling to take the step up to senior football at all. Will have a very good career.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Well played to him but shocking goalkeeping.