Ethan Laird image 99

Ethan Laird England flag

2020-21 Performances

View full 2020-21 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
It seems like he's attacking well more than defending. Maybe have him as RW for a while when he comes back?

Red_toad

It seems like he's attacking well more than defending. Maybe have him as RW for a while when he comes back?
Why? He’s not a winger, so why would anyone expect him to play there? He’s probably more suited to a wingback role at this point in his career, but he’s still learning his trade.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Why? He’s not a winger, so why would anyone expect him to play there? He’s probably more suited to a wingback role at this point in his career, but he’s still learning his trade.
Because he's still young, good on attacking than defending? Young players switch positions, like a CB playing as RB. Or a LB become LW, like a certain Welsh.
Scholes was a striker before moved to CM. AWB wasa winger, then switch to RB. There are just tons of examples.

Red_toad

Because he's still young, good on attacking than defending? Young players switch positions, like a CB playing as RB. Or a LB become LW, like a certain Welsh.
Scholes was a striker before moved to CM. AWB wasa winger, then switch to RB. There are just tons of examples.
Please feel free to name the right back who ended up a right winger. Only player I can think of his Bale who wasn’t a right back , but he was exceptionally good at attacking and Laird isn’t anywhere close.
Players who weren’t good enough in attack often revert to defending, defenders who aren’t great at defending rarely end up as wingers...

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United

The level isnt great, but Laird is a terrific talent. Personally, I think of the calibre Mason/Garner when the 3 of them were in the academy. He is doing a lot of attacking, but that doesnt mean he can't defend. AWB is a solid 7 I believe, has a few weaknesses in defending and lacks a final ball, dribble, creativity but still good for ball retention. He adds height, speed, strength and athleticism to the team and we deffo need to improve other positions in the XI before him. However I think very soon, Laird might really be what we need or a similar type.

AWB is great in our current set up against big teams, but when/if United wants to be the team that lays their will upon the opponent, we just need more on the ball. I don't think that will ever be AWB although he is improving.

Lassitude42

If Laird's strengths are going forward I don't see that as a problem at all, it's an ideal complement to AWB. Plus as a youngster he'll likely play initially against weaker teams where we'll be on the front foot.

We need to decide if he's a better prospect than Williams and if he is (which is likely) then I'd have him as understudy to AWB next season. Let him play in cups and easier PL fixtures, and give Williams a loan to PL club.

I think the squad options AWB and Laird could give us together are very exciting. If AWB becomes an elite RB and Laird becomes a back-up, that's no issue. If Laird overtakes AWB to become our no.1 that's good too. We can develop Laird whilst giving AWB more rest and I don't really see the downside.

Bertie Wooster

There's an interesting article about MK Dons style here, and how they uniquely use their goalkeeper as a 'false 1' to come out and join the passing around...

https://b9football.medium.com/how-mk-dons-goalkeeper-contributes-to-their-buildup-phase-282f49261f26

... That unusual style is clearly helping Laird get game time as they play wing backs, and want them mostly to contribute going forward - which plays to his current strengths.

On the other hand, it's not a style we, or anyone else, use and so it's probably best he goes somewhere else next year to further learn the more traditional attacking right back role - with an equal emphasis on improving the defensive side of his game.

It must be a great environment to play football in though, as all of the players seem to say in interviews. Laird must be loving it, I'm sure.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Yeah I tend to agree he needs another loan next year most likely.

One thing we might consider though would be sending Laird away in the first 6 months of the year and then assuming he does OK, keeps developing, stays fit etc you send Williams out in the 2nd half of the year and bring Laird back. We've done it before with young GKs, and Laird and Williams can both play both sides as either full backs or wing backs so I think it might work quite well, even for the club who loans them if it were the same club for both players. You could hardly quibble at getting a lad with Champions League experience to replace Laird if you were a Championship or lower PL team.

Or I suppose if Dalot comes back you could take a chance on loaning them both out maybe.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
He did really well for them, but picked up another injury in May. He's definitely got the talent, but he's been very unlucky with injuries still.

TheReligion

Abusive
He did really well for them, but picked up another injury in May. He's definitely got the talent, but he's been very unlucky with injuries still.
Is he still injured or was it nothing serious? Hopefully he can have a good pre season and tour.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Hopefully the injury isn’t another serious one. At least he got some football this season and reminded everyone of what a great prospect he still is. Hopefully a championship loan next season or even a squad role here. Send Williams out to a PL club.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Is he still injured or was it nothing serious? Hopefully he can have a good pre season and tour.
Not sure. Forced off after half an hour in their last game. These are the quotes of their manager:

"It's disappointing," said Martin afterwards. "I actually quite liked the first half, we had a great chance and should have scored."

"But Ethan getting injured changed the game, just in terms of mentality. He was a real threat, and him going off hurt our intensity a bit. I think the lads saw him getting injured and it's tough, the last game when there's not much to play for. It's no excuse really."

"Hopefully for Ethan's and Manchester United's sake he'll be ok. It typifies our season really. He has been brilliant, has grown so much but it ended like that and our season ended like that."

TheReligion

Abusive
Not sure. Forced off after half an hour in their last game. These are the quotes of their manager:

"It's disappointing," said Martin afterwards. "I actually quite liked the first half, we had a great chance and should have scored."

"But Ethan getting injured changed the game, just in terms of mentality. He was a real threat, and him going off hurt our intensity a bit. I think the lads saw him getting injured and it's tough, the last game when there's not much to play for. It's no excuse really."

"Hopefully for Ethan's and Manchester United's sake he'll be ok. It typifies our season really. He has been brilliant, has grown so much but it ended like that and our season ended like that."
Doesn't sound too great. Mengi got injured too at Derby I think. Hopefully they are both okay and just feeling the physicality of the men's game a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.