Ethan Laird image 99

Ethan Laird England flag

2020-21 Performances

View full 2020-21 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
How often do you see full backs often substituted?

I cannot think of any.
Poch used to do it every match. Fergie quite liked it too. Feel like I often see fbs switched out to bring in some energy.

romufc

Poch used to do it every match. Fergie quite liked it too. Feel like I often see fbs switched out to bring in some energy.
Fergie was 7 years ago mate.. Poch used to swap them? Go check 18/19 most times Trippier played 90 mins.

Which other teams do that? You are saying most modern teams? Full backs are hardly substituted in games.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I see where you are coming from, I am really excited to see him play. I just want him to get chances to play. Playing 2nd fiddle all season and getting 5/6 games wouldn't do him any good.

Hence a loan would be good to see how well he can play in the PL.

I doubt AWB will be able to play CL and PL games, but will Ole trust Laird in PL or CL games?
Loaning out is not always the only solution. We don't have depth at RB, if he stays fit, he can get good number of games.

Mickson

AWB would be awful at centre back in my opinion.
Yeah, I don't know who Daniel Harris is but that seems to be adding 1+1. Just because he is solid defensively at RB, doesn't mean he will be a good CB. He hasn't got the positional sense, his feet are not good enough, he's not calm enough, he's not a great header of the ball.

lysglimt

Scout
I've seen this criticism levelled at Laird a few times and I couldn't disagree more. He's no Wan-Bissaka but he's very solid defensively, this isn't to put Williams down but you could always see Williams would likely struggle defensively in the first team, I don't see Laird having that issue at all. His attacking game is what initially catches the eye but his defensive ability coupled with his attacking side is what made him stand out to me.

If it weren't for injuries I think he'd already be providing very healthy competition to Wan-Bissaka. He's in the Greenwood category of "there's no way he doesn't make it" for me.
Well - there were a few games he really struggled defensively at U23-level. Williams struggled a few times because he was too aggressive - Laird was quite simply out of position

lysglimt

Scout
I've seen this criticism levelled at Laird a few times and I couldn't disagree more. He's no Wan-Bissaka but he's very solid defensively, this isn't to put Williams down but you could always see Williams would likely struggle defensively in the first team, I don't see Laird having that issue at all. His attacking game is what initially catches the eye but his defensive ability coupled with his attacking side is what made him stand out to me.

If it weren't for injuries I think he'd already be providing very healthy competition to Wan-Bissaka. He's in the Greenwood category of "there's no way he doesn't make it" for me.
Still don't see the issue ?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
What an awful idea of playing AWB at CB. He’s reading of the game is horrendous. He’s constantly caught out and only saved by his incredible ability to tackle. That would be totally useless at CB.

Ekeke

What an awful idea of playing AWB at CB. He’s reading of the game is horrendous. He’s constantly caught out and only saved by his incredible ability to tackle. That would be totally useless at CB.
Why do you think that a RB would play exactly the same at CB? He obviously wouldnt. His pace and tackling would be great in the middle in a 3, having a player or two to help him in the air is the main thing

SteveW

AWB is not and never will be a CB. Stop thinking Football Manager is real life.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
If someone is bad, you don't move to a different position. AWB would be awful as a CB. If Laird is better , then once again our transfer dealing has been bad and he would be eventually replaced

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
If someone is bad, you don't move to a different position. AWB would be awful as a CB. If Laird is better , then once again our transfer dealing has been bad and he would be eventually replaced
Or our youth player was just better. Don’t always have to be glass half empty here.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Why do you think that a RB would play exactly the same at CB? He obviously wouldnt. His pace and tackling would be great in the middle in a 3, having a player or two to help him in the air is the main thing
He is not very good in the air and his positioning isnt the best either

bond19821982

No positional sense, awful in the air, shits anywhere near the ball. The only thing he is good is tackling that too as a right back. We really don't know if his is equally good when being played in CB. Its easy to box the player towards the byline and tackle him. We just cant keep doing it as a CB because you would be doing that in the penalty box.

Ekeke

He is not very good in the air and his positioning isnt the best either
Thats why you play 3 at the back not 2. Then you have 3 CBs to cover all the weaknesses of each other. His pace and tackling are big strengths that would cover for Maguire for example, and Maguire's positioning and heading would fill in for AWB's. And then you have a 3rd CB there which will help fill in in dynamic moments when its hard for either one to cover each other.

bond19821982

Or our youth player was just better. Don’t always have to be glass half empty here.
means, we were bad to pay 50m for AWB. Should have gone for some cheaper options.

Ace of Spades

means, we were bad to pay 50m for AWB. Should have gone for some cheaper options.
No, we were not 'bad' to pay 50m for one of the best young RBs around. Laird has played almost no first team football, has been injured quite a bit and is still only a 'talent'. How he performs at first team level remains to be seen, and as with young players there is no certainty to predict of how they adapt to the top level.

Also, we did go for a cheaper option in Dalot and he has been injured more often than not. AWB has been an excellent signing, irrespective of how Laird develops. To try to paint AWB signing as a negative just seems like moaning for the sake of being negative.

bond19821982

No, we were not 'bad' to pay 50m for one of the best young RBs around. Laird has played almost no first team football, has been injured quite a bit and is still only a 'talent'. How he performs at first team level remains to be seen, and as with young players there is no certainty to predict of how they adapt to the top level.

Also, we did go for a cheaper option in Dalot and he has been injured more often than not. AWB has been an excellent signing, irrespective of how Laird develops. To try to paint AWB signing as a negative just seems like moaning for the sake of being negative.
You can mark my words. AWB would be replaced in couple of years. We will not progress without having a proper right back. If not Laird, someone else would take over from him.

And No , Dalot wasn't a cheap signing. He only played 4 senior games for Porto . It was an investment in one of the high potential players.

Revan

Assumptionman

He hasn’t been excellent in anything. He is not even a top 5 RB in the league and somehow cost 55m pounds. One of the worst value for money transfers in the history of the club. A one trick pony if ever existed one.

Ekeke

You can mark my words. AWB would be replaced in couple of years. We will not progress without having a proper right back. If not Laird, someone else would take over from him.

And No , Dalot wasn't a cheap signing. He only played 4 senior games for Porto . It was an investment in one of the high potential players.
AWB is a proper right back, so we're already sorted.

He'sRaldo

Maybe you were thinking of the fullbacks being rotated under Poch.

I remember Davies and Trippier used to play every other game, rotating frequently with the main pair.

Ekeke

Feel free to quote my post and shame me later mate. He will be replaced in next couple of years.
Even if we get another right back you'd still be wrong because AWB is the very definition of a right back. You may mean a wingback though

bond19821982

Even if we get another right back you'd still be wrong because AWB is the very definition of a right back. You may mean a wingback though
No, I meant full back - a proper one like Neville or Irwin or Evra - who actually isn't shit scared of the ball.

Ace of Spades

Your words are irrelevant, you can't predict the future, so your statement is completely baseless. And he is a proper RB, and very good signing no matter how much you try to put a negative spin on it.

Dalot was a cheap signing, he was certainly not an academy signing, which means he was bought for the first team. It does not matter if it was an investment or not, he was cheap and brought in to play RB, but has been injured too much so has not made any progress. Which just goes to show that potential means feck all, and performances matter. AWB has been a very good signing overall, and saying he is bad because he might be replaced in the future based on nothing more than your guesswork about the future is about the most nonsensical crap I have seen posted here.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I like Dalot. Have a feeling we might sell him cheaply and regret it.

bond19821982

Your words are irrelevant, you can't predict the future, so your statement is completely baseless. And he is a proper RB, and very good signing no matter how much you try to put a negative spin on it.

Dalot was a cheap signing, he was certainly not an academy signing, which means he was bought for the first team. It does not matter if it was an investment or not, he was cheap and brought in to play RB, but has been injured too much so has not made any progress. Which just goes to show that potential means feck all, and performances matter. AWB has been a very good signing overall, and saying he is bad because he might be replaced in the future based on nothing more than your guesswork about the future is about the most nonsensical crap I have seen posted here.
Well, may be you should be the one who should take a hard look at AWB and see how can he improve upon his shit show on the ball. I have seen enough of him and has been telling this from the moment he was linked to us.

Non sense post ? sure, feel free to call whatever you want but I will stick to my point. Shame me later if I am wrong.

Dalot just played 4 senior games and I would never call that as a cheap signing. It was an investment. Lets not argue for the sake of it.

bond19821982

Evra is a perfect example of a wingback. He played the entire left wing.
Whatever mate. Just not very keen on this FM terms. A player who plays a full back position in a 4 man defense is a RB/LB for me.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
I fear for Laird not because he isn't talented , but because expectations from him are not fair. He has been injured a lot and it showed today in friendly. People should not expect impact like Greenwood had last season

Ace of Spades

Well, may be you should be the one who should take a hard look at AWB and see how can he improve upon his shit show on the ball. I have seen enough of him and has been telling this from the moment he was linked to us.

Non sense post ? sure, feel free to call whatever you want but I will stick to my point. Shame me later if I am wrong.

Dalot just played 4 senior games and I would never call that as a cheap signing. It was an investment. Lets not argue for the sake of it.
Stop trying to make imaginary arguments and trying to move the goal posts. I never mentioned how good or bad he is on the ball, it is irrelevant how good or bad he is on the ball to the point of him being a good signing.

Yes, it is a non sense post because it is all based on your non existing ability to tell the future.

It does not matter how many games he played, he was bought for the first team as a cheap signing. There is nothing to argue against a simple fact.

bond19821982

Stop trying to make imaginary arguments and trying to move the goal posts. I never mentioned how good or bad he is on the ball, it is irrelevant how good or bad he is on the ball to the point of him being a good signing.

Yes, it is a non sense post because it is all based on your non existing ability to tell the future.

It does not matter how many games he played, he was bought for the first team as a cheap signing. There is nothing to argue against a simple fact.
Pretty laughable when you are the one who has changed the narrative now. Right from my OP, I have said he would be replaced because he is not good enough on the ball and we need better options. Feel free to go through it again.

A player who has played just 4 games and is 19 years old in an inferior league is an investment for the future. It's not my problem if you dont understand how football recruitment works.

Ace of Spades

Pretty laughable when you are the one who has changed the narrative now. Right from my OP, I have said he would be replaced because he is not good enough on the ball and we need better options. Feel free to go through it again.

A player who has played just 4 games and is 19 years old in an inferior league is an investment for the future. It's not my problem if you dont understand how football recruitment works.
I never changed the narrative. Your OP is irrelevant to what I replied to. Again, I never mentioned his ability on the ball, that is you arguing a point I am not making.

I certainly understand football recruitment more than you it seems, as you can't even tell that Dalot is a cheap first team signing. The amount of experience he had before that is irrelevant. He was not signed for the academy, so it means that he is a first team signing. That is a simple fact.

bond19821982

I never changed the narrative. Your OP is irrelevant to what I replied to. Again, I never mentioned his ability on the ball, that is you arguing a point I am not making.
Well then you should just go back and check again my point. If you are not sure about my original point, why bother giving an irrelevant statement to my post? Just wasting time.

Status
Not open for further replies.