Ethan Laird image 99

Ethan Laird England flag

2020-21 Performances

View full 2020-21 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

croadyman

Sounds like his loan spell is going well which is a real positive for us, not saying that it will happen but maybe he could come back and have a similar impact to Mount after his loan at Derby albeit in a different position obviously

Bertie Wooster

I go on an MK Dons fan site at times (even before Laird joined on loan, but more so now), and the fans have been very impressed by him so far and are raving about him tonight.

He seems to be performing at league one level same as how I saw him at youth level: very impressive physically and technically, and good getting forward and a regular threat in attack, with slightly more question marks about the positional side of his defending - which is understandable given his age.

I'm delighted he's having a successful loan so far. If he can stay fit and, as most players do, improve the positional awareness and reading of the game defensively as he gains experience and know how, then he has the potential to make it to our first team squad.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Made the League One team of the week, so well done young man, keep it going.

CM10

Sounds like his loan spell is going well which is a real positive for us, not saying that it will happen but maybe he could come back and have a similar impact to Mount after his loan at Derby albeit in a different position obviously
Reece James' loan spell at Wigan would be the direct comparison. I believe Wigan were also in League One at the time.

It would be a huge bonus for us if he could come back next season ready to be part of the first team squad. It could still come too soon for him, or he could get injured, but it would be nice to have another RB option we can rely on other than Wan-Bissaka.

Zlatans Knee

If he stays healthy and keeps on improving the I would think that Brandon Williams will be looking for a new club over the summer.

kundalini

Reece James' loan spell at Wigan would be the direct comparison. I believe Wigan were also in League One at the time.

It would be a huge bonus for us if he could come back next season ready to be part of the first team squad. It could still come too soon for him, or he could get injured, but it would be nice to have another RB option we can rely on other than Wan-Bissaka.
Wigan were in the Championship when Reece James was on loan there. Check the link below for details of the matches he played:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/ree...472423/saison/2018/wettbewerb/GB2/verein/1071

Realistically, League One > Championship > Premier League > United. Ethan Laird is 19 and his birthday is early August. Hope to get a Championship loan next season then a PL loan within a year or two.

If he had an absolutely outstanding season on loan in the Championship then it might be worth bringing him back without any PL experience.

Last edited:

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Come on lad :keano:
Ethan lad:-) Is it me or does he seems to lost a bit of pace? Looks very strong on the other hand and skillful as always. I pray for him to stay fit. He'd be a great competition and something different to AWB.

CM10

Wigan were in the Championship when Reece James was on loan there. Check the link below for details of the matches he played:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/ree...472423/saison/2018/wettbewerb/GB2/verein/1071

Realistically, League One > Championship > Premier League > United. Ethan Laird is 19 and his birthday is early August. Hope to get a Championship loan next season then a PL loan within a year or two.

If he had an absolutely outstanding season on loan in the Championship then it might be worth bringing him back without any PL experience.
Fair enough. Yeah I expect he'll have another season on loan regardless as 6 months is a short period to make that kind of impact.

Bertie Wooster

That's certainly the path Dean Henderson took with his loans - progressing each year up from League Two to the PL.

But then, the likes of Rashford and Greenwood were in the first team squad at 18. And not just forwards - full backs like Brandon Williams, Luke Shaw, Trent Alexander Arnold were in PL first team squads as teenagers without any loans.

Is it the injuries that Laird's had at youth level that makes you think he needs two or three years out on loan first? Or that he's just not as mentally / tactically ready yet for the first team as the others were (again maybe due to the missed time with injuries)?

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
See how he does until the summer and during preseason if we have one. He might be involved with the squad next year as backup or most likely a championship loan. I think after a good season in the championship that’s a decent enough standard to be able to make a call on his future. I’d love to see him make it here. He’s a genuinely top prospect. if he can stay fit he has a very good chance of playing PL football.

Grande

Sounds realistic. There is a question though if he couldn’t have gone to a Championship club already, but with his recent injury record, both the club and potetial takers were extra cautious about his first loan after that.

He’s showing fast progress at Dons, so the big question is his positional development. If he gets that going quickish, with his physicality and tachnique, he might be ready for PL as soon as next season. Either on loan or as an understudy to AWB and Brandon.

macheda14

That's certainly the path Dean Henderson took with his loans - progressing each year up from League Two to the PL.

But then, the likes of Rashford and Greenwood were in the first team squad at 18. And not just forwards - full backs like Brandon Williams, Luke Shaw, Trent Alexander Arnold were in PL first team squads as teenagers without any loans.

Is it the injuries that Laird's had at youth level that makes you think he needs two or three years out on loan first? Or that he's just not as mentally / tactically ready yet for the first team as the others were (again maybe due to the missed time with injuries)?
Both, the amount of injuries he's had have halted his progression somewhat, I'd argue he's probably almost a year behind. It means he still has a defensive naivety about him. Think he'd do well to have another year playing full time first team football at a higher level. Going forward he's looking great, but again he's playing league 1 level defenders. I'd hope that he can keep performing really well and perhaps skip having to play at a championship side, and play for a newly promoted side next year or at the least play for a side fighting for promotion from the championship.

slyadams

Starting again today, got into a few good forward positions but been caught out twice defensively quite badly already.

slyadams

More evidence he’s very comfortable on the ball but he’s very shaky defensively. He’s playing with a back 3 today so is getting bailed out a bit, I fear for him a bit if he was in a back 4.

dutchred

More evidence he’s very comfortable on the ball but he’s very shaky defensively. He’s playing with a back 3 today so is getting bailed out a bit, I fear for him a bit if he was in a back 4.
This hopefully will be a learning curve for him. He will improve defensively the more he plays. We knew from the Under 23 that he was good going forward, but was nevre really tested defensively at that level.

slyadams

This hopefully will be a learning curve for him. He will improve defensively the more he plays. We knew from the Under 23 that he was good going forward, but was nevre really tested defensively at that level.
Hopefully, the worry for me was that sometimes he was caught out seemingly through a lack of effort to get back.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Always said he’s a great athlete and good on the ball but defensively he is nowhere near ready - he’d be absolutely slaughtered at premier league level.

Still though he’s got plenty of time to work on it, but he must stay fit and keep playing.

pascell

League One is a good level for him to learn the defensive side of his game, whilst impressing with his attacking skills. Proving to be a good loan so far as he's playing regularly and seems to be impressing their manager.

Bertie Wooster

The good thing about this loan is that it will help Laird get much needed game time at senior level and, because MK Dons are playing wing backs and not asking for much defensive work from them, it's playing to Laird's attacking strengths and he's doing fine and getting plenty of starts.

Ideally, his next loan will be to a team where they work on improving his defensive game. The trouble there might be will they be prepared to keep giving starts to a young loanee if he's playing in a role where his defensive work is being prioritised and he's making positional mistakes? That'll have to be the loan when he really focuses on improving the defensive and positional side of his game.

croadyman

Think he could get an opportunity as AWB's understudy next season but gut feeling is there could well be something in either the Aarons/Trippier rumours too, more likely to be Kieran as have always felt they are looking for an experienced option rather than someone a similar age to Wan Bissaka.

Last edited:

NYAS

Think he could get an opportunity as AWB's understudy next season but gut feeling is there could well be something in either the Aarons/Trippier rumours too
Honestly would rather he goes on loan again for a full season in the Championship. He needs the playing time and development. We’re fine with Dalot/Williams as back-up for another season.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Honestly would rather he goes on loan again for a full season in the Championship. He needs the playing time and development. We’re fine with Dalot/Williams as back-up for another season.
I think we'll get someone else in anyway so we wouldn't need to rely on Williams/Dalot anyway. I'd also be happy with another Laird loan, most important thing for him right now is to be playing consistent football.

pascell

I agree, I think another 2 seasons of first team football elsewhere is best for his development, especially to get over the niggling injuries. I can see us going for Trippier, a player who can offer 2-3 solid seasons before being displaced.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Think that's a bit much in terms of expectation. Wigan were in the Championship and by the end of the season were playing James in a holding midfield role just so that he'd be involved more because he was by far their best player.

That said from what I've seen looks a talented kid, didn't have the greatest game against us but seems to have performed well in most others.

Would just err on the side of caution a little bit and suggest he probably hasn't been tested a great deal defensively yet, Don's play a 3 at the back with a couple of sitting midfielders I believe so he seems to be given a license to get forward and absolved of a lot of defensive responsibility.

Last edited:

slyadams

We’re not playing so well today, he had some good forays into their box in the first half but been quieter second half. The end product isn’t quite there yet, he’ll beat his man, find the space then capitalise on it.

Ashish Negi

Should be understudy of AWB going into next season and send Brandon on loan

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Lovely assist that. Just looks so natural running with the ball, then calm once he gets into the box.

If he can get his defensive side of the game right he'll be a great option for the RB slot, especially when we need to be more offensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.