Ethan Laird image 99

Ethan Laird England flag

2022-23 Performances

View full 2022-23 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I'm sure Rensch disagrees with you as he has 55 appearances in two years at only 19. He was also seen on the pitch as he featured right up until the end of the season too, so that never happened.

I'm sure Laird would be thrilled with identical treatment tbh.
This is pure nonsense.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I agree, that is pure nonsense. He hadn't played for Jong Ajax for 9 months when he earned a cap for the Netherlands.
Rensch literally did not make a start in the only 3 league games played prior to his international debut in September. That same month he played in the reserves....

He also played a thousand minutes less compared to the previous season.

Like I said, you can keep posting stats taken out of context, but anyway who followed Ajax knows he got an opportunity when Mazraoui was injured and he didn't take it.

Marwood

And it’s those 45 minutes we are appraising.
Not just appraising that performance though is it? It's making great big predictions off the back of that 45 min appearance.

Makes no sense to me.

NoPace

First touch was quite loose though that went away as the half wore on.

MrBest

Thought he looked nervous on Friday, I would say is still third choice. Maybe needs another year on loan or plays back up to Dalot this season. I would take him over AWB because I believe his ceiling is higher. Saying that, first pre season game for him, I'm interested to see how he does in the forthcoming games, the right back slot is all to play for at the moment. Anyone know where Williams has gone?

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
Rensch literally did not make a start in the only 3 league games played prior to his international debut in September. That same month he played in the reserves....

He also played a thousand minutes less compared to the previous season.

Like I said, you can keep posting stats taken out of context, but anyway who followed Ajax knows he got an opportunity when Mazraoui was injured and he didn't take it.
Speaking of Rensch, Laird might be heading to Ajax and compete for a place with Rensch. Ajax seemingly interested

Last edited:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Not quite. Ajax doesn't want to sell Antony, but they are rumoured to have interest in Laird.
Well, no, the rumour specifically mentioned that we want to include Laird as part of a deal and another source mentioned he was of interest to Ajax.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
Well, no, the rumour specifically mentioned that we want to include Laird as part of a deal and another source mentioned he was of interest to Ajax.
Well, no, the Ajax interest rumour precedes the Antony deal one. So those are separate things. Ajax could've just inquired about Laird and United saw that as an opportunity for the Antony deal(or at least for the person making up the rumour). But again, Ajax doesn't want to sell Antony.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
I don’t think United will sell Laird unless it’s in a deal that suits them. He’s highly rated at the club.
Oh that could very well be the case. Ajax will probably look further if that's true. No need to drag it on like Utd does :lol:

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Isn't as quick as I thought he was.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
On his way to Watford for regular game time, will be good for him.

NoPace

On his way to Watford for regular game time, will be good for him.
With Femenia back to Spain and just Ngakia at RB this looked like a good deal. Good test for Laird to beat out an okay, 21 year old RB.

But they've signed Mario Gaspar on a free and he was a regular at Villareal last year and only 31, so I imagine he'll get the most playing time. The new manager does seem to exclusively play 3 at the back, so maybe we've been told Gaspar will be the RCB and Laird as the RWB.

Still, seems like the ideal would have been Laird going to a team with little competition at RB playing a back 4, and I would have thought that possible in the Champo. Though maybe we think he's exclusively a wingback on the touchline so Ten Hag seems him as as an option to provide width rather than a tucked in type.

Trequarista10

Possibly a good loan move. Bit wary of Watford given their tendency to sack managers three times a season, which leaves loanees particularly to being sidelined by the new manager.

Still though, he needs to a full season where he really excels at Championship level before he can begin to be in contention for us, and it's better for his development to play every week rather than be a backup here. If it goes well he could make a genuine challenge at RB for us next season, or at least raise his market value.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
With Femenia back to Spain and just Ngakia at RB this looked like a good deal. Good test for Laird to beat out an okay, 21 year old RB.

But they've signed Mario Gaspar on a free and he was a regular at Villareal last year and only 31, so I imagine he'll get the most playing time. The new manager does seem to exclusively play 3 at the back, so maybe we've been told Gaspar will be the RCB and Laird as the RWB.

Still, seems like the ideal would have been Laird going to a team with little competition at RB playing a back 4, and I would have thought that possible in the Champo. Though maybe we think he's exclusively a wingback on the touchline so Ten Hag seems him as as an option to provide width rather than a tucked in type.
Wouldn't worry about Gaspar, he won't be able to handle the championship, couldn't really get a look in at Villarreal much last season so I think he'll find it hard to adjust.

Plus Rob Edwards seems to favour three/five at the back, so Laird will slot Into that system well, or at least he did at Swansea, assuming Edwards will be playing the same system as per FGR.

Kostov

Watford is the worst possible club we could have sent him. They will have 3 different managers by midseason and already have option at RB.

Olecurls99

If he's just gonna be backup at Watford then why bother sending him. I hope there's been some guarantee of minutes

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Unless we’re signing a RB he needs to stay

Nick7

As much as I like Laird and think he has a lot of potential I’m not really sure what he’s done today to warrant the above two comments.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
He's got stronger as the game has gone on. Not done himself any harm today, especially given that's he's sharing a flank with Chong. Might be worth giving him a chance to stake a claim this season as we aren't likely to sign a RB

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He’s had a good game. Done his prospects no harm. Some really important defensive contributions and looks like he can run all day. Constantly trying to overlap.The knee jerk toxicity in the player performance threads today is grim. A good reminder why they needed to be locked on a normal matchday.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Nice blocks but both situations came after he messed up positionally. Looks great on the ball as expected though. I'd keep him & Dalot for the season even though ideally you'd have one more balanced fullback in the mix.

Chief123

AWB looks in trouble even as second choice for me. Laird looks a much more rounded footballer that suits ETH’s system.
Wouldn’t be sending him anywhere on loan.
Even more damning for AWB. Laird is massively more comfortable on the ball then AWB.

Becks_VII

He’s had a good game. Done his prospects no harm. Some really important defensive contributions and looks like he can run all day. Constantly trying to overlap.The knee jerk toxicity in the player performance threads today is grim. A good reminder why they needed to be locked on a normal matchday.
Ye I thought he looked quite good today, couple of great defensive blocks and has a great engine. He looks like the type of player who would excel with a run of games in the team. His injury record hasnt been great though has it?

avgp_1

He has all the tools to be player here I've thought. Has tons of pace, fine dribbler gets out of pressure quite easily. His positioning has always been a bit suspect but its not terrible either

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I like him more than Wan Bissaka and could see him develop quickly with regular game time. He's a tank physically and has a lot of other qualities. Needs to stay fit, a good loan would be huge for him, and then part of the squad next season?

El Jefe

He's only redeeming quality is that he's a powerful runner with the ball and can progress the ball.

If people were unimpressed with AWB's positional defending, this lad here is much worse. Someone needs to make a video of the number of times he lost his man or gave him too much space to put a ball in.

His short passing wasn't any better. Easy to see why failed on loan at Bournemouth.

Kag

He's only redeeming quality is that he's a powerful runner with the ball and can progress the ball.

If people were unimpressed with AWB's positional defending, this lad here is much worse. Someone needs to make a video of the number of times he lost his man or gave him too much space to put a ball in.

His short passing wasn't any better. Easy to see why failed on loan at Bournemouth.
He was injured for a large chunk of it, but don’t let that get in the way of your narrative.

There’s obviously a player in Laird.

Abraxas

To me he has looked okay. No more, no less. But that's probably good enough to be backup at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.