Position: Defender - Right-Back
Foot: Right
Player agent: ICM Stellar Sports
Squad Number: #41
Contract expires: Jun 30, 2023
Contract option: Option for a further year
Date of last contract extension: Feb 25, 2020​

Trex

Tidy if unspectacular today, infinitely better than AWB and Dalot though.
Dalot is beginning to be placed in the same bracket as AWB in the manner Fred is placed in the same bracket as Mctominay.
As for Laird he has all to prove.

Highfather_24

I always knew him as a wingback who plays very wide and attacking, always looking to beat his man and put a cross in.

Seems like ETH instructed him to play the Dalot role, with him tucking into midfield, recycling the ball.

Definitely looks more natural on the ball compared to AWB. Still not sure if he's good enough to be backup though.

flameinthesun

Tidy if unspectacular today, infinitely better than AWB and Dalot though.
Laird at the moment is nowhere close to either. He is a good prospect, who hopefully can get a chance this season to build up his experience if we move on AWB, but he is definitely not better than either at this moment. Maybe in a couple years if he keeps developing.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Needs to be more aggressive, there were 2 balls he could've easily won today, 1 which would've resulted in space in the box and 1 that would've prevented an attack.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Wasnt impressed at all, maybe it were instructions but played it safe the whole match. He should be able to do so much more.

When pressed, he always went backwards. But the best full backs are the ones that know that if you are pressed, there is space someone and a smart forward dribble or pass can make use of that.

Simonas2702

Didn't impress me , every time he got the ball he stood on it and passed it backwards

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Wasnt impressed at all, maybe it were instructions but played it safe the whole match. He should be able to do so much more.

When pressed, he always went backwards. But the best full backs are the ones that know that if you are pressed, there is space someone and a smart forward dribble or pass can make use of that.
I suspect being his United debut he was told to keep it simple.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
I suspect being his United debut he was told to keep it simple.
That isn't not simple I'd say and I dont think ETH would consider that as simple football. It only served the purpose to keep possession but that's not how he likes his teams to play.

Schnappo

Would have liked to see a bit more bravery in his game today; there's limited time in this tour to impress so I hope he shows more of what he's about if he gets another run out. The right full back position really isn't cemented down so there's definitely an opportunity for him, but he'll need to be braver in possession.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Seemed only happy to pass the ball backwards to Bailly today. Was very disappointed with him as I have high hopes of him making an impact on this tour.

flameinthesun

Seemed only happy to pass the ball backwards to Bailly today. Was very disappointed with him as I have high hopes of him making an impact on this tour.
Yeah, but I can imagine he was playing within himself. I think a key thing that differentiates the youth teamers that step up and stake a claim (rashford, greenwood), they very quickly start to try to impose themselves or get involved in games. Whereas the majority of youth teamers come up and never really get out of the be safe dont make mistakes mindset. So still some way to go for Laird but he does seem like a confident kid so hopefully he can start to show more in his next appearances.

cabbs1989

I was expecting a lot more from him as I’ve been told he’s class a bit let down, think Dalot & awb are miles a head of him, another loan

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
He's played 45 minutes of preseason football in a makeshift team. This place is exhausting sometimes.

mu4c_20le

Didn't impress me , every time he got the ball he stood on it and passed it backwards
Different game today than liverpool, Melbourne defended deep and there was little space for guys like him and Chongy to run into. Clearly looks off the pace but encouraging to get through a half of semi competitive football at the senior level unscathed.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
His physical stature is interesting, he’s like a halfway house between Young’s narrow shoulders and Valencia’s muscular build

Blood Mage

Dalot was much more impressive against Liverpool. I'm not sure about this kid, he looked good on his loan at Swansea but has fallen off a cliff since then.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Darling of the CAF but never been good enough. Sell.
Needs another loan and not to be 3rd backup here and then take stock at the end of the season. Dalot is currently really far ahead of him. If we can’t move on AWB there won’t be enough games

He’s been one of my favourite youth players but he’s not starting quality here yet. He just isn’t, he needs more games to develop.

Kostov

Dalot is beginning to be placed in the same bracket as AWB in the manner Fred is placed in the same bracket as Mctominay.
As for Laird he has all to prove.
And rightly so. Neither have shown anything to be considered better than the other.

SAF is the GOAT

Dalot is the only one is truely selected because he's slightly better than the other offensive wise but I think that if Ethan wants - the RB position is vacant, he just needs to take it.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
He's played 45 minutes of preseason football in a makeshift team. This place is exhausting sometimes.
ETH can be incredibly ruthless. Laird is not going to get many chances with these kinds of performances, even in pre season, especially when we have 3 RBs.

georgipep

He wasn’t any worse than Malacia.
He was way worse than Malacia. The Dutch player showed a lot of reading the game, as well as much more explosive recovery pace than Laird.

I haven't yet seen anything from him (Laird) that says "I deserve minutes".

Swedish_Plumber

Yeah I don’t get people saying he’s better than our usual options already.

Not been tested at PL level so who knows what he’s like. Suspect it’s because he’s from our academy which seems to inflate players ability a lot of the time.

Can’t really be relied upon if his fitness history is anything to go by too.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
ETH can be incredibly ruthless. Laird is not going to get many chances with these kinds of performances, even in pre season, especially when we have 3 RBs.
Im sure ETH will be assessing him in training more than 45mins in that game

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Im sure ETH will be assessing him in training more than 45mins in that game
Devyn Rensch probably disagrees. Immensely talented RB that was next in line after Mazraoui. One and half bad games and was nowhere to be seen for the remainder of the season.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Devyn Rensch probably disagrees. Immensely talented RB that was next in line after Mazraoui. One and half bad games and was nowhere to be seen for the remainder of the season.
Maybe he wasn’t showing said talent in training

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Maybe he wasn’t showing said talent in training
I highly doubt it. He's just that fecking good and put in great performances the season prior.
Even earned a Holland cap while he was playing for the Ajax reserves.

He wouldn't have been given the chance if he was crap in training. Ajax has a strong academy.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I'm sure Rensch disagrees with you as he has 55 appearances in two years at only 19. He was also seen on the pitch as he featured right up until the end of the season too, so that never happened.

I'm sure Laird would be thrilled with identical treatment tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.