Ethan Laird image 99

Ethan Laird England flag

2022-23 Performances

View full 2022-23 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoof the ball

I don't like that loan. QPR might be a well-suited club, but it's not the kind of progression I expected to see. He's done the Championship loan, and did well. I was expecting a PL-level loan at some low-table club where he could play PL teams week-in, week-out. I'm not sure what Laird gets that he didn't get in previous seasons cutting his teeth in the Championship.

flappyjay

I don't like that loan. QPR might be a well-suited club, but it's not the kind of progression I expected to see. He's done the Championship loan, and did well. I was expecting a PL-level loan at some low-table club where he could play PL teams week-in, week-out. I'm not sure what Laird gets that he didn't get in previous seasons cutting his teeth in the Championship.
The Bournemouth loan ruined his momentum, spent the 2nd half of the season on the bench. If he does well at qpr I hope we leave him be this time.

macheda14

He plays in a back 4 for a season. He was great as a RWB for Swansea, but we need to give him experience as a RB. He want to Bournemouth and hardly played.

Skills

Snitch
He's better off just getting minutes tbh. If he's not getting minutes at a PL club it's just going to be a waste of another season

ti vu

Football career progression, experience is not passing class, and graduating. It's all about real time application, which from this pre season, Laird didn't impress outside of natural athleticism/technical ability. Also his (limited game time) stint at Bournemouth who now a PL team, kinda proved that he's not ready for PL level club.

Someone as pointless as Dalot showed quite a gap in experience on same tour, yet in PL setting, Dalot is still very green with everything to prove. Dalot is only 2 years older, and he's stagnating at this level forever since we signed him from Porto.

Sometimes it clicks, the player learn some valuable experience to apply their natural talent and shoot up the rank without going through steps. It doesn't look like it click for Laird yet.

Marwood

He's only had half a season on loan and actually playing hasn't he?

I'm all for Championship loans if it means a full season of games.

Bwuk

Cancel the loan. He can’t do any worse than the shite we have.

Marwood

If he does go on loan let it be somewhere he gets a full season of games.

But it'd be insane to let him go on loan when the first choice is terrible and you clearly don't rate the second choice.

So obviously that's what we'll go ahead and do.

Thiagoal

Would much rather he’d had Dalot’s minutes at the start of this season. Oh well, good luck at QPR- go and show them what you can do

George The Best

Watched some of the QPR game tonight. Blimey, he’s quick. Gets up and down the wing, also tackles well and very strong. Why have we let him go. Probably created QPR’s best chance all night. Looked better tonight than anything we’ve got for that position.

pascell

Watched some of the QPR game tonight. Blimey, he’s quick. Gets up and down the wing, also tackles well and very strong. Why have we let him go. Probably created QPR’s best chance all night. Looked better tonight than anything we’ve got for that position.
Nothing surprises me with this club anymore, not when we spent £50m on AWB and we're struggling to find a buyer.

Strats

Hasn't anyone within the club seen the shower of shite Dalot and Wan Bissaka provide for us?

Idiots

The White Pele

In all honesty I think another loan was best for his development at this stage. It’s frustrating in a way because of the lack of quality in the first team but I don’t think he was quite ready. It’s better long-term for him to have a season playing games and building his confidence than to be relying on him to come into a struggling team intermittently when he’s not ready and destroying him before he’s even got going.

Dalot has had enough loan spells and it’s down to him now to sink or swim. Laird has missed a lot of football and needs the time to develop.

pascell

In all honesty I think another loan was best for his development at this stage. It’s frustrating in a way because of the lack of quality in the first team but I don’t think he was quite ready. It’s better long-term for him to have a season playing games and building his confidence than to be relying on him to come into a struggling team intermittently when he’s not ready and destroying him before he’s even got going.

Dalot has had enough loan spells and it’s down to him now to sink or swim. Laird has missed a lot of football and needs the time to develop.
This is fake news.

Jan-May '21 he played 26 times for MK Dons.

August '21-Jan '22 he played 21 times for Swansea.

Then the club pulled him from that loan and sent him to Bournemouth were he played 6 times for the rest of last season. The club is killing his potential, if he cannot upsurp the two numpties we have for RB now, godforbid how he'd fare when we actually get a competent RB.

I said it when we signed him and I still stand by it, AWB shouldn't have been purchased, we should've sign Meunier on a free and had Laird as understudy, we're wrecking his career, our loan system is an absolute shambles.

The White Pele

This is fake news.

Jan-May '21 he played 26 times for MK Dons.

August '21-Jan '22 he played 21 times for Swansea.

Then the club pulled him from that loan and sent him to Bournemouth were he played 6 times for the rest of last season. The club is killing his potential, if he cannot upsurp the two numpties we have for RB now, godforbid how he'd fare when we actually get a competent RB.

I said it when we signed him and I still stand by it, AWB shouldn't have been purchased, we should've sign Meunier on a free and had Laird as understudy, we're wrecking his career, our loan system is an absolute shambles.
He missed a lot of football through injury prior to those loan spells which set him back and the Bournemouth loan didn’t work out. You say he should be able to usurp Dalot and AWB but he obviously didn’t displace the RB at Bournemouth.

He’s going to play every week at QPR and there’s every chance his game goes up a level and he comes back flying. That could work out a lot better than us chucking him into this current struggling side and expecting him to excel in that environment.

Trequarista10

It's a good loan for him if he plays a full season as a RB and not a RWB. Best for his development. Short term you can argue we could use him now, but longer term it's better for him (and therefore us).

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I don’t see how him at right back, Henderson in goal and Garner in midfield doesn’t improve us right now - and yet they’re all playing for other teams!

avgp_1

Yeah had a great debut, couple of really dangerous opportunities created. Interesting he is playing RB instead of WB so will have more defensive responsibilities.

Once he gets his afterburners on he is ridiculous

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Would much rather he’d had Dalot’s minutes at the start of this season. Oh well, good luck at QPR- go and show them what you can do
People are crazy or say desperate about Garner and Laird to get a chance because we have some underwhlming options the reality is that neither of them are ready, and perhaps never will be mentally. They may have been one of the most promising players in the academy, but there are plenty of examples when players coudln't make the step up to senior football.

Garner got more senior games under his belt and in highlights he loks good but even at NTnam looked pretty passive. Even more then always looked when given albeit small chance in the senior team, like a greenhorn, very shay to show his skills and determination. Laird failed to impress at Borunmouth and before didn't get enough games at a decent level to be even considered good enough for senior football.

They both look closer to James Wilson than Januzaj/ Rashford, obviously there is a big difference playing in defence or as a CM and one of the free attacking roles but people don't understand it..

Remember the geese

People are crazy or say desperate about Garner and Laird to get a chance because we have some underwhlming options the reality is that neither of them are ready, and perhaps never will be mentally. They may have been one of the most promising players in the academy, but there are plenty of examples when players coudln't make the step up to senior football.

Garner got more senior games under his belt and in highlights he loks good but even at NTnam looked pretty passive. Even more then always looked when given albeit small chance in the senior team, like a greenhorn, very shay to show his skills and determination. Laird failed to impress at Borunmouth and before didn't get enough games at a decent level to be even considered good enough for senior football.

They both look closer to James Wilson than Januzaj/ Rashford, obviously there is a big difference playing in defence or as a CM and one of the free attacking roles but people don't understand it..
You're so wrong about Laird. He's more than good enough to compete with Dalot for a starting spot here.

Bwuk

Honestly - can Laird be any worse than Dalot / AWB?

Rossa

Yeah had a great debut, couple of really dangerous opportunities created. Interesting he is playing RB instead of WB so will have more defensive responsibilities.

Once he gets his afterburners on he is ridiculous
And a different poster argued he is too slow. Which is it? «Blimey he is quick» and amazing speed, or a little too slow?

avgp_1

And a different poster argued he is too slow. Which is it? «Blimey he is quick» and amazing speed, or a little too slow?
He is rapid. It's just his technique while running with the ball/dribbling is not the cleanest at times. When you watch him knock the ball forward and chase it down or catch up to attackers he is very fast

Alemar

I don’t see how him at right back, Henderson in goal and Garner in midfield doesn’t improve us right now - and yet they’re all playing for other teams!
Garner doesn’t play for any team currently - he was struggling to get on the bench even prior to Casemiro arrival, and his chances don’t improve by a lot after Casemiro is signed

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Garner doesn’t play for any team currently - he was struggling to get on the bench even prior to Casemiro arrival, and his chances don’t improve by a lot after Casemiro is signed
For some reason I had it in my head he’d gone out on loan again this season

AussieDevil

Not sure if anyone watched the game and can comment, but Laird played the full 90 mins for QPR against Watford and had an assist.

This is what the QPR manager had to say post match;

The Rangers boss also praised the performance of wing-back Ethan Laird, signed recently on loan from Manchester United.

“We’re getting used to Ethan, and we do loads of work on getting our wing-backs forward and overlapping. He’s a flying machine, he’s like a winger isn’t he. I thought his pull-back today was so intelligent – he didn’t just thrash it across, he’s made a pass.

“He is definitely a Premier League full-back, 100%. He’s just turned 21 and he is a Premier League full-back. We’re delighted to have him here for the period we’ve got him.”"

avgp_1

Not sure if anyone watched the game and can comment, but Laird played the full 90 mins for QPR against Watford and had an assist.

This is what the QPR manager had to say post match;

The Rangers boss also praised the performance of wing-back Ethan Laird, signed recently on loan from Manchester United.

“We’re getting used to Ethan, and we do loads of work on getting our wing-backs forward and overlapping. He’s a flying machine, he’s like a winger isn’t he. I thought his pull-back today was so intelligent – he didn’t just thrash it across, he’s made a pass.

“He is definitely a Premier League full-back, 100%. He’s just turned 21 and he is a Premier League full-back. We’re delighted to have him here for the period we’ve got him.”"
Looks like had an assist and looked good defensively from this. Watford are looking good so far so an away win there is a terrific result for them

AussieDevil

Looks like had an assist and looked good defensively from this. Watford are looking good so far so an away win there is a terrific result for them

Yeah he has played the last three games but Watford have probably the strongest side in the Championship and coming up against forwards like Sarr and Pedro is as good as it gets in that division.

Laird was a huge talent when he was coming through and I think now that he seems to have put the injuries behind him for the most part he should be able to kick on. We have a glaring hole at right back and Laird has the talent to be that player for us. We need to see him put it all together.

Olecurls99

Great game from the looks of things. He'll be welcomed back with open arms if he keeps that up

Marwood

Obviously it'll be good for him being on loan but I'm convinced he could have been an important player for us this season. Tough decision for the club maybe.

Hopefully there's an option to bring him back in Jan because I reckon there's a good chance we'll need him.

Remember the geese

Obviously it'll be good for him being on loan but I'm convinced he could have been an important player for us this season. Tough decision for the club maybe.

Hopefully there's an option to bring him back in Jan because I reckon there's a good chance we'll need him.
I thought it was an absolute joke that we loaned him out.

Marwood

I thought it was an absolute joke that we loaned him out.
I don't get the logic 100% when its clear AWB isn't rated.

But I can see why it might be a bit of a tricky decision. You want him playing every week. It might not quite happen that way here.

But regular football till December. Then some Prem and Europa football with us? Sounds perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.