Ethan Laird image 99

Ethan Laird England flag

2022-23 Performances

View full 2022-23 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
I think Steve McClaren still has some people he knows down at QPR. Between them giving him updates, Michael Beale's coaching and him doing his bit then I think he has a real chance next season at being full time full back.

Gandalf

Brilliant stuff. Great to see him doing well.
Yes it is nice to see. The assists and even the potential for goals were on display previously though so I will be interested to catch a few games and see how he progresses on the defensive side as I believe that is what prevented him from sticking with the squad this year. If he can put it together on the defensive side of the ball he will bench Dalot in the not too distant future.

Remember the geese

I don't get the logic 100% when its clear AWB isn't rated.

But I can see why it might be a bit of a tricky decision. You want him playing every week. It might not quite happen that way here.

But regular football till December. Then some Prem and Europa football with us? Sounds perfect.
Yeah I can understand that we would like Laird to play regular football, but I believe that loaning him out and keeping Wan Bissaka genuinely weakens the squad. In the event that we loan/sell Wan Bissaka, I just hope we don't sign a cheap sub par right back that will block Laird's path further. I have a feeling that our budget might be a bit tight next summer, so hopefully that will work in his favour.

Also, yeah I'd like to see him involved in the Europa. I think there would have been more than enough games for him here if we were proactive and sold Wan Bissaka.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He has much higher potential than Dalot, if only he can keep fit the whole season he'll be ready next season.

RedDevilRoshi

He has much higher potential than Dalot, if only he can keep fit the whole season he'll be ready next season.
How did he not get much game time with yourselves last season?

I remember we cut short his Swansea loan in January and sent him to yourselves instead for the remaining 6 months of the season.

ThanksBoss26

Yeah possibly one that could have gone either way though he didn’t look particularly secure defensively in the game against Real Vallecano and that might have swung it. On balance I think it was the right call.

But if he comes back with 40 odd games experience at a good level in a back four, having played well, then who knows next season. He’d have a similar level of loan experience then as to what Garner has now and you could see us making a call either way next summer.

Alemar

Excellent goal, and that’s after an assist in his previous game. Very good loan start

CM10

Good to see him doing well on loan again. A season of continuous football playing in a back 4 should do him good

aeh1991

I think it was the right choice go let him get playing time. I really hope Ten Hag will give him a proper chance when he returns.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Is it considered impressive performance on that clip?

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Is he playing in a back 4 or 5?

AussieDevil

Like I said before, this guy was not far off Greenwood levels the times I saw him play for the youth side. He has so much talent, he just needs to refine his game.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Like I said before, this guy was not far off Greenwood levels the times I saw him play for the youth side. He has so much talent, he just needs to refine his game.
Not seen much of him. Worth keeping back at the club after this season's loan? How different is he from Dalot? What little I have seen of him is that he is pacy AF.

AussieDevil

Not seen much of him. Worth keeping back at the club after this season's loan? How different is he from Dalot? What little I have seen of him is that he is pacy AF.
He definitely should be given a chance next season. There wouldn't be many fullbacks better at dribbling in the premier league or championship than him, he uses the skill to regularly beat players 1v1. He is physically a beast, a lot quicker than Dalot, and pretty strong as well, albeit a little shorter than Dalot. He is pretty good with both feet, he played LB as well as RB in the academy (also centre back), and so he is a threat to cut in or go to the byline. But he does favour driving to the byline and then crossing, which would work really well with Antony preferring to cut in and onto his left foot.

His weakness is his reading of in game situations at times, he can make the pass and over dribble instead of just releasing the ball quicker, and the same in defence he can get caught out. He has shown signs of improvements in this regard though and you'd hope under a manager like Ten Hag he'd be able to develop his game analysis and choose his spots.

sglowrider

He definitely should be given a chance next season. There wouldn't be many fullbacks better at dribbling in the premier league or championship than him, he uses the skill to regularly beat players 1v1. He is physically a beast, a lot quicker than Dalot, and pretty strong as well, albeit a little shorter than Dalot. He is pretty good with both feet, he played LB as well as RB in the academy (also centre back), and so he is a threat to cut in or go to the byline. But he does favour driving to the byline and then crossing, which would work really well with Antony preferring to cut in and onto his left foot.

His weakness is his reading of in game situations at times, he can make the pass and over dribble instead of just releasing the ball quicker, and the same in defence he can get caught out. He has shown signs of improvements in this regard though and you'd hope under a manager like Ten Hag he'd be able to develop his game analysis and choose his spots.
Cheers!

Looks like he has bulked up too.

Swedish_Plumber

My QPR supporting mate is loving him. Says he’s fantastic going forward and solid defensively so far.

Guess we hope he can stay fit and get a full season under his belt.

criticalanalysis

Feck me, what's the point of doing a touch compilation if you're going to butcher it like that. Cutting one sequence of play into several edits, have it in the timeline much later randomly, jump cut AND zoom in on him so you've suddenly lost all sense of what the play is or where he is on the pitch.

It's like when you had to do a book review of 1000 words at school having only read the back of the book summary.

croadyman

Be nice to see him & Dalot next season allowing us to put more money towards new GK, second playmaking CM & ST.

SoCross

If this guy isn’t given a crack at the United first team, I’m done with following the young lot.

WirralRed

Seems like QBR fans are all loving him! Would be great for him to get a full season of being a first choice RB under his belt, could save us a lot of money!

pascell

After getting MOTM or POTM, can't remember which one, he's added another assist to his tally tonight.

Seems like QPR play with a 4 man defence, usually he's played within a 5 man as a wing back.

I hope he's used within the first team squad at United next season.

Gandalf

After getting MOTM or POTM, can't remember which one, he's added another assist to his tally tonight.

Seems like QPR play with a 4 man defence, usually he's played within a 5 man as a wing back.

I hope he's used within the first team squad at United next season.
I hope so too.

Last season he was going well at Swansea but played as a wing back with no real defensive responsibilities so we recalled him and shipped to Bournemouth to play in a back 4 but for a variety of reasons he barely got a game. This loan seems to be specifically to give him a season of mens football played in a back 4 to sharpen him defensively and I honestly think he has a shot to be our first choice next season.

croadyman

I hope so too.

Last season he was going well at Swansea but played as a wing back with no real defensive responsibilities so we recalled him and shipped to Bournemouth to play in a back 4 but for a variety of reasons he barely got a game. This loan seems to be specifically to give him a season of mens football played in a back 4 to sharpen him defensively and I honestly think he has a shot to be our first choice next season.
Yeah surely if he can stay fit at QPR and keep contributing like he has then deserves an opportunity next season

sglowrider

Yeah surely if he can stay fit at QPR and keep contributing like he has then deserves an opportunity next season
I think his defence needs to improve by a few levels up before he can even start thinking of starting a few games for United. He will get exposed.
Great going forward by quite suspect defending. He ball-watches and marks space a bit. But he is just 21 and so he has at least another season on loan to improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.