Ethan Laird image 99

Ethan Laird England flag

2022-23 Performances

View full 2022-23 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vergo

I think his defence needs to improve by a few levels up before he can even start thinking of starting a few games for United. He will get exposed.
Great going forward by quite suspect defending. He ball-watches and marks space a bit. But he is just 21 and so he has at least another season on loan to improve.
I think Laird has the potential to become a good defender one day. Unlike some fullbacks who are great going forward but have zero defensive ability, Laird has shown glimpses of good defensive skills across some of his loans. He also played CB for the England 18s side in the past if im not mistaken. He is also really good at pressing as a defender, its a pretty underrated skill for fullbacks in the modern game.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I think Laird has the potential to become a good defender one day. Unlike some fullbacks who are great going forward but have zero defensive ability, Laird has shown glimpses of good defensive skills across some of his loans. He also played CB for the England 18s side in the past if im not mistaken. He is also really good at pressing as a defender, its a pretty underrated skill for fullbacks in the modern game.
I think he has a higher ceiling than Dalot. He just needs to be coached better on the defensive end..

SoCross

Said it before and I’ll say it again, if this laird doesn’t make it through to the United first team, I’m going to stop bigging up young talent. Greenwood levels of talent, this boy has, just held back by injuries at key moments.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Im not convinced by Dalot if I’m honest. I think we should have kept Laird this season and played him in Europe and cups. Still a full season under his belt will do him good.

If we don’t get a RB in Jan, we should probably bring him back. Infact I’d say we be smarter to bring him back and assess him vs Dalot ready for summer

flameinthesun

Glad that he is doing well. The only concern I've had about him is his concentration levels. He sometimes switches off, which happens a lit with players at united going from u21 to seniors. Hopefully this loan develops the concentration side of his game.

sglowrider

Im not convinced by Dalot if I’m honest. I think we should have kept Laird this season and played him in Europe and cups. Still a full season under his belt will do him good.

If we don’t get a RB in Jan, we should probably bring him back. Infact I’d say we be smarter to bring him back and assess him vs Dalot ready for summer
I think he has a year's long loan.

Vergo

Said it before and I’ll say it again, if this laird doesn’t make it through to the United first team, I’m going to stop bigging up young talent. Greenwood levels of talent, this boy has, just held back by injuries at key moments.
I truly thought in the academy it was 1A / 1B with Greenwood and Laird and thats saying something because I dont think we've had an academy product even touch that level since Pogba. Not even Rashford. Obviously Greenwood being a striker he got all the hype, but Laird was ridiculously good playing both sides at fullback, he had something like 15 goals and 20 assists at some point in one of the competitions, it may have been even more than that.

I thought he was the most sure fire thing to make it apart from Greenwood. His ability to cut in or go on the outside, to use both feet, and him being comfortably the best dribbling fullback out all English fullbacks gives him a great skillset to build off. I wouldnt be surprised if he becomes our Reece James, both in attack and defence.

Marwood

Ideally he comes back in Jan and AWB leaves.

We let go a player we're paying for nothing in return and gain a young player who could possibly top notch.

He'd get game time as well.

Seems straightforward so obviously it won't happen.

MrBest

We let go a player we're paying for nothing in return and gain a young player who could possibly top notch.

Or he gains 6 more months of solid experience at right back, ready for next season.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Or he gains 6 more months of solid experience at right back, ready for next season.
I think we'll do something with RB in Jan, I hope its not to bring in someone else when we have Laird who could well be the answer.
AWB will likely leave in Jan meaning we'll need someone other than Dalot

TheReligion

Abusive

Captain Negative

TheReligion

Abusive
Laird is doing well. We all know he’s got the talent. He’s just not been able to stay fit and admittedly the club were clumsy with the change of loan last season.

He should stay where he is, get a full season under his belt then return to United in the summer.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Off injured yet again.

Injuries are an issue with this guy.

Idxomer

Just been subbed off after 25 mins with an injury

Was looking decent again too
Was just coming to say this. He's starting to develop nicely so hopefully the injury isn't too bad.

On an unrelated matter, it took me by surprise that Ince is managing Reading and Carroll is starting for them. They are also 3rd in the table.

TheReligion

Abusive
Was just coming to say this. He's starting to develop nicely so hopefully the injury isn't too bad.

On an unrelated matter, it took me by surprise that Ince is managing Reading and Carroll is starting for them. They are also 3rd in the table.
Carroll just scored and is wearing the number 2 shirt for some reason.

Weird things going on

TheReligion

Abusive
If he’s pulled off after 25 mins due to a mental injury, that’s not a good sign.
He was pulled off (snigger) with a hamstring issue

I meant in terms of his repeated injury issues. It could be a mentality thing mixed with bad luck?

Grande

He was pulled off (snigger) with a hamstring issue

I meant in terms of his repeated injury issues. It could be a mentality thing mixed with bad luck?
Couldn’t resist. Based on little but rumours, I have the impression that he works hard and wants to learn, but when you have explosive musculature and get a serious injury during your growth years, I believe it can easily lead to repetitive injuries of various kinds later.

Marwood

Nope, it's a myth that he's injury prone, his seasons with Swansea and MK Dons he was injury free for most of the loan spells. Even with QPR, he signed for them around a month ago and has played 10 games for them already.
He was injured a lot whilst at U23 level.

Idxomer

He's back in the starting lineup today so he only missed 1 game.

sglowrider

He's quietly under the radar -- has started every game bar any injuries for the best team in the Championship. At this rate, we will have some decent competition for Dalot.#

Save any money on an RB. Spend it all on a striker.

CM10

Watched the second half of that QPR game. They lost but I was still impressed by Laird. His first touch isn't as sharp but the way he progresses the ball does remind me a little bit of Luke Shaw. Won a penalty too.

A decision will have to be made on whether he spends another year out on loan next season but I can see a future for Laird at United.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Watched the second half of that QPR game. They lost but I was still impressed by Laird. His first touch isn't as sharp but the way he progresses the ball does remind me a little bit of Luke Shaw. Won a penalty too.

A decision will have to be made on whether he spends another year out on loan next season but I can see a future for Laird at United.
Guess it depends whether he's happy to challenge Dalot or go and play first team somewhere else.

Grande

He's quietly under the radar -- has started every game bar any injuries for the best team in the Championship. At this rate, we will have some decent competition for Dalot.#

Save any money on an RB. Spend it all on a striker.
He seems to be among the beat rated for QPR most of the games so far too.

mav_9me

Hoping he becomes a viable squad option to begin with and then gives Dalot competition

Status
Not open for further replies.