Ethan Laird | Bournemouth loan watch

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He should definitely be in the side next year rotating with AWB.

Forget buying Trippier, give this kid a try.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He should definitely be in the side next year rotating with AWB.

Forget buying Trippier, give this kid a try.
To be honest - I was thinking about Ole's thought behind Trippier and Wan Bissaka and I was wondering;

Maybe the fact he bought Wan Bissaka (a relatively defensive RB) and then tried to buy quite an old experienced RWB in Trippier is possibly because he rates Laird as our future attacking RWB.

However, if he gave all that time to Brandon Williams before then maybe he should have given all this time time to Laird too?

I've not really seen Laird - but if he's good as people say he is, hopefully he is back next season and whoever our manager is uses him.

Considering so many, and I mean so many clubs have some sort of young good quality English RB - I don't find it surprising that Laird could potentially be one too.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
He’d be perfect as a RWB, not sure what he’d be like RB in a back 4 tbh.

pascell

Said from the beginning we should've given Laird a chance when signing AWB, if the injuries hadn't happened I think we would have and brought in Trippier or an experienced RB instead of AWB.

captain666

Lets just hope the lad stays injury free for the rest of the season,he will prove to be a valuable squad addition next term.

Demaw

Loved his game over many year and so sad injuries slowed him down. Hoping so much he makes the 1sts next season.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Said from the beginning we should've given Laird a chance when signing AWB, if the injuries hadn't happened I think we would have and brought in Trippier or an experienced RB instead of AWB.
There's no problem in having 2 talented full backs / wing backs in the same position though. Chelsea prove that regularly. It's helpful when your backups can fill in on either flank as well like Dalot or Laird.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
He's an exceptional talent and lacks nothing, height at best. Very similar to Lamptey who is a revelation in the Prem where Laird might be even more technical, physical and I think stronger defensively. These kids just need to play and not be under the reign of a cowardice manager who's only there to keep himself in the job.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Wondering if we have the option to recall him in the event that the new management would like to assess him as a serious RB option for us?

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Wondering if we have the option to recall him in the event that the new management would like to assess him as a serious RB option for us?
Doubt it, he's playing regularly, better he stays. Better to work with Dalot and AWB first anyway for rest of season, then make a decision.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I'm almost certain there isn't, but if there is I think it’d be worth United taking it up tbh

He’s ran out of steam a little the past few games, but is still immensely important. Other teams are now starting to really target him, so finding space has become harder. He's looked quite fatigued and hasn't been taking his man on as much. Good experience for him because it's something all good players have to deal with (being doubled up on) and I'm confident it's something he'll adapt to.

He's been playing very high, and recently one of the others has been filling in his vacant spot to give him more freedom. Rumours about Roberts coming back so I'd like to see both of them in the side.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He and Greenwood have clearly been the best talents in our academy in recent years. Williams got the nod first, but Laird has always been the better of the two and I suspect he’d have the better United career.

He should be in our squad next season.

Oranges038

1 on 1 awb is great but he has literally zero awareness of his surroundings and where the danger might come from.
I don’t think you can coach that
Is he really though?

I think maybe in a sprint. Because 1v1 on the wing he backs off from about 3 yards away and more often than not doesn't get close enough to block a cross.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I think maybe in a sprint. Because 1v1 on the wing he backs off from about 3 yards away and more often than not doesn't get close enough to block a cross.
AWB used to be amazing at blocking crosses. This season he seems to have started doing the same thing that Shaw does on the left, backing off too much and giving them space to get the cross in. Makes me wonder if it's actually something the coaches are telling them to do. :confused:

The Purley King

Is he really though?

What infuriated me today was that there were several occasions where a Chelsea player had the ball and awb had 10 yards to cover.
He jogged out. The cross came in.
He needs to ducking sprint that. Who is coaching him to jog? Lackadaisical in completely the wrong areas. He’s not a complete youngster now and whether it’s poor coaching or he’ll just never get it , it needs to be sorted out asap

Oranges038

AWB used to be amazing at blocking crosses. This season he seems to have started doing the same thing that Shaw does on the left, backing off too much and giving them space to get the cross in. Makes me wonder if it's actually something the coaches are telling them to do. :confused:
If it is it's totally stupid, especially when you have a keeper that won't come for a cross. It's maddening looking at them.

To me, it just looks like him and Shaw just can't make up their mind on how close to get and end up in a situation where they aren't able to do anything.

Oranges038

What infuriated me today was that there were several occasions where a Chelsea player had the ball and awb had 10 yards to cover.
He jogged out. The cross came in.
He needs to ducking sprint that. Who is coaching him to jog? Lackadaisical in completely the wrong areas. He’s not a complete youngster now and whether it’s poor coaching or he’ll just never get it , it needs to be sorted out asap
There was one late enough, where the ball was in the right back area and he was nowhere to be seen. It must have been a good 10 seconds before he eventually appeared sauntering back at his own pace.

Hughie77

He's having a good season. With a side that has lots of possession. Coming back to UTD who cannot ATM dominate the ball, he could struggle, but he's a talent and his time will come.

The Purley King

There was one late enough, where the ball was in the right back area and he was nowhere to be seen. It must have been a good 10 seconds before he eventually appeared sauntering back at his own pace.
Contrast with Gary Neville a far more limited player physically.
But his primary thought for the whole game was defending. Where should I be, what might happen, what if he runs in behind? He prevented a lot of dangerous situations before they even happened.
I’m not sure any of that crosses awbs mind.
He’s not a natural defender. Never will be.

Idxomer

Sell AWB, get this kid back next season and buy Livramento or someone else.

Son

There's no problem in having 2 talented full backs / wing backs in the same position though. Chelsea prove that regularly. It's helpful when your backups can fill in on either flank as well like Dalot or Laird.
You need big squads to play this pressing style I agree. Look at City. Basically the best team in the world due to their ridiculously stacked squad.

Oranges038

Contrast with Gary Neville a far more limited player physically.
But his primary thought for the whole game was defending. Where should I be, what might happen, what if he runs in behind? He prevented a lot of dangerous situations before they even happened.
I’m not sure any of that crosses awbs mind.
He’s not a natural defender. Never will be.
Gary Neville was a brilliant right back, he worked hard and was very diligent defensively.

I don't think AWB can be coached in those areas.

He's got nothing in terms of defensive awareness. That might be offset if he had something on the ball and offered more in attack, he's not good enough at that either. Overall, I think he's not got enough to even be a backup for right back at Utd.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
If he can stay fit and be taught how to defend he will be a clear starter for us. AWB is so poor on the ball it pains, so hopefully next season Laird is in the mix for the preseason and who knows he cen leap forward and doesn't need another loan..

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Have high hopes for this lad. Under the next FT coach he's got every chance. Wan Bissaka can't do the stuff this lad can on the ball.

Mainoldo

Not going to lie the two goals today he was napping. He couldn’t do the here, would look amateurish.

Daengophile

I think one of the most exciting aspects of Rangnick's appointment is the chances that the academy players and loanees will get.

These are the ones that will be looking to bust their guts to get a place in the match day squad and some of the more established players will be looking over their shoulders.

Laird is certainly one to be on the radar - maybe as a big red light

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I think one of the most exciting aspects of Rangnick's appointment is the chances that the academy players and loanees will get.

These are the ones that will be looking to bust their guts to get a place in the match day squad and some of the more established players will be looking over their shoulders.

Laird is certainly one to be on the radar - maybe as a big red light
Rangnick won't be manager by the time Laird comes back so it'll depend on if the next manager wants to use him.

AussieDevil

Laird has all the talent in the world, just needs a manager to really help him grow. Even though he won’t be manager, Rangnicks experience and tactical expertise could go a long way for the kid.

Golden Nugget

Was speaking to my friend the other day after the Chelsea match. James was a constant nuisance on the right; city have Cancelo that does the same, Liverpool have TAA.

Shaw did it last season but looks off this season; Telles hasn’t impressed and AWB hasn’t done it at all at United (outside of the Spurs game).

SAF is the GOAT

The main problem with this kid isn't the talent that we all know he has but the amount of injuries this kid gets.

Ralf(or another manager) could have a look at him next summer and decide if he's ready to play in the big boys league or he needs more experience.