Ethan Laird | Bournemouth loan watch

jeepers

He supports MK Dons I’m 99% sure. He was keeping us filled in on all things Laird last season. Not sure what happened between Martin and the club/fans but he moved on to Swansea?
That would explain why then. Thanks for the explanation and for your time

AJ VII

He's great on the ball, was suspect defensively last year.
Yeah that is hopefully what he will develop now in the mens game. If he can do that and stay fit he will have an exciting career.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Likewise. Not going to claim to have seen loads of him, but I think he’ll make it as long as we don’t sign someone like Trippier.

I remember a old Stephen Howson video where he said Laird himself was confident he’d be able to put AWB out the team.
Laird is a proper one. If he stays fit he'll be one of the best RB in the world if he continues how he's developing.

slyadams

He supports MK Dons I’m 99% sure. He was keeping us filled in on all things Laird last season. Not sure what happened between Martin and the club/fans but he moved on to Swansea?
There were rumours he was being chased by Swansea. On a Friday he did an interview saying he was staying, was invested in the MK Dons project and he’d turned down Swansea twice during the week. By Sunday he was gone and did an interview there saying his mind had been made up for a while. All this was 5 days before the first league game.

rotherham_red

Excellent performance against Millwall.

If he can get past his injuries, he's making it, IMO. Next season he challenges for a squad place and I wouldn't put it past him to make that position his own by the end of it.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
If he can get past his injuries, he's making it, IMO. Next season he challenges for a squad place and I wouldn't put it past him to make that position his own by the end of it.
Agreed bro. Let's hope he can steer clear of the injuries.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
How does he compare to Max Aarons?
Far more talent.
Aarons is grossly overrated in England. One look at some of the RBs playing in the UCL or Europa around Europe tells you that there’s far better out there.

Dante

Average bang
Excellent performance against Millwall.

Good performance for what it was.

But he's still taking a lot touches every time he gets the ball. On the one hand, it's good that he has ability and also the confidence to do that. But on the other, it's going to be a massive culture shock when he gets to the PL. It'll feel like he's playing a completely different sport if tries to replicate that at the top level.

I'd love for him to make it here. But I don't think this loan move will tell us much about his chances. I think it's mostly about testing his fitness levels. If he can put in half as good a performance on loan in the PL, then I might start getting excited.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Absolutely class yesterday!

This is a highlights reel but just look at that, the amount of quality on the ball, confidence, speed, physique, creativity, final ball. This guy is an unreal talent and was in the bracket of Greenwood in the academy.

I would hate for him to go under the radar, if he played at Ajax he would probably be in the Dutch NT by now (Dutch fans will understand).

He's a huge talent, from the ranks, far more talented than AWB or Dalot but still needs to show it at a higher level ofcourse. But he can't if he doesnt get the opportunity either.

Ashish Negi

Dear AWB,

Keep RB spot warm for Ethan. He is coming soon to take it from you.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Dang. That's such mouthwatering RB reel from one match.

Revan

Assumptionman
Would really love this to work and him to come and displace AWB. The quicker we upgrade that position, the better.

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!
This is a highlights reel but just look at that, the amount of quality on the ball, confidence, speed, physique, creativity, final ball. This guy is an unreal talent and was in the bracket of Greenwood in the academy.

I would hate for him to go under the radar, if he played at Ajax he would probably be in the Dutch NT by now (Dutch fans will understand).

He's a huge talent, from the ranks, far more talented than AWB or Dalot but still needs to show it at a higher level ofcourse. But he can't if he doesnt get the opportunity either.
He's such a talent and I really think he will eb able to compete with Wan Bissaka for the rb slot next year. Great to see him get a run without injuries too as I think he would already be starting for us if it weren't for those setbacks.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!

That is a nice highlight reel, but why does Lutons leftback keep giving him 20 meters of space every time. It'd be nice to see Ethan playing against a competent defender who closes the space and forces his hand more

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
He’s been injury free for a year now and clearly going from strength to strength. PL loan next year or else he takes Dalots place and stakes a claim. He belongs in the PL it was pretty obvious to youth watchers even when he first came through, he is an amazing player. On his current trajectory he could be anything. Still has time on his side too.

RUCK4444

Looks like he’s doing great, great highlights vids when you consider he’s a right back. Hope he goes from strength to strength

Lentwood

The Luton full back was absolutely terrified of him by the end, Laird showed good game awareness then to start looking for the cutback rather than the take-on

Davie Moyes

How has his defending been? Anyone concerned that he's been playing wing back rather right back and we don't really play with wing-backs?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

From that highlight reel, it looks like the defenders are terrified of him and have no idea whether to go out to meet his threat or stay tight for defensive shape.

Whether that's because he's already got a reputation or just the level of the defenders is hard to call, but it's interesting to see. It's also a really surreal feeling to see a Manchester United associate rb who can actually play football again. It's been a long time since that was the case.

Laird's being touted for ages, and with Bissaka's level, could well usurp him if he comes back having been stellar for the duration of his loan. Sure, challenging for the spot, first and foremost, given the Championship level is not close to par with the PL, but for sheer technical brilliance and offensive capability, teams we're expecting to dominate would make him the preferred option to break them down.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
From that highlight reel, it looks like the defenders are terrified of him and have no idea whether to go out to meet his threat or stay tight for defensive shape.

Whether that's because he's already got a reputation or just the level of the defenders is hard to call, but it's interesting to see. It's also a really surreal feeling to see a Manchester United associate rb who can actually play football again. It's been a long time since that was the case.

Laird's being touted for ages, and with Bissaka's level, could well usurp him if he comes back having been stellar for the duration of his loan. Sure, challenging for the spot, first and foremost, given the Championship level is not close to par with the PL, but for sheer technical brilliance and offensive capability, teams we're expecting to dominate would make him the preferred option to break them down.
Looks like he is having excellent loan spell, having a RB who is so good at dribbling will add new dimension to the attack. Also he regularly uses his weaker foot to dribble so it's hard to defend against him 1v1.

Hopefully he will compete for RB position next season, with players like Sancho, Greenwood next to him, right side will be threat again.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Looks like he is having excellent loan spell, having a RB who is so good at dribbling will add new dimension to the attack. Also he regularly uses his weaker foot to dribble so it's hard to defend against him 1v1.

Hopefully he will compete for RB position next season, with players like Sancho, Greenwood next to him, right side will be threat again.
Yeah, he looks a class apart from the footage that pops up, and if he keeps it up for the whole season, we have little reason not to have him challenging for the spot in our team next season. At the very least, a solid rotation option.

I haven't been as enamoured with rb/wb as I have with Hakimi these past few years, and Laird is someone who reminds me of him the most so I'm really willing the guy to come good and force his way into our side.

Baneofthegame

I really hope he can just stay injury free, get a whole season under his belt and come back and challenge for the RB spot here.

SoCross

Had the highest hopes for this guy out of the kids, stay injury free and he's going to be a Manchester United first teamer, no doubt about it.

jesperjaap

Far more talent.
Aarons is grossly overrated in England. One look at some of the RBs playing in the UCL or Europa around Europe tells you that there’s far better out there.
Have to say, I have never got the fuss about Max Aarons. Always looke dout for him the last couple of years as so many were ravgin about him. Just looks decent to me, dont see anything super special, especially all that hype when we have so many good young right backs already in the country.

As for Laird, not seen him much but always liked the look of him when I have. But all these comments.....seem pretty much the same as last season, people expected him to take over AWB this year. I thought we would have sold Dalot and Laird would be the back up. Hopefully that happens as DAlot still looks really underwhelming to me

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
We need a talented RB, the sooner the better
With all due respect to Paul Parker, Gary Neville, and the various others we’ve had in there since, I think for 30 years RB is the one position where we’ve never really had a truly outstanding talent. I’ve been craving for a proper beast of a RB for years, and I’m pinning a lot (probably too much) hope on Laird to do it.

pascell

Have to say, I have never got the fuss about Max Aarons. Always looke dout for him the last couple of years as so many were ravgin about him. Just looks decent to me, dont see anything super special, especially all that hype when we have so many good young right backs already in the country.

As for Laird, not seen him much but always liked the look of him when I have. But all these comments.....seem pretty much the same as last season, people expected him to take over AWB this year. I thought we would have sold Dalot and Laird would be the back up. Hopefully that happens as DAlot still looks really underwhelming to me
Think the plan was clearly to buy Trippier and sell Dalot, whilst Laird has another few seasons out on loan. Atletico valuation of Trippier put spanner in the works and I think we signed Ronaldo with what we'd hoped to pay for Trippier. Next summer Dalot will be gone and Laird will likely get a fair shot at the first team.