Ethan Laird

bdecuc

Lovely debut in u23s. Great to see someone so young step up and play so well.

AndOr Hererra

Is he a left back or right back? Left or Right footed? What are his strengths?

Sorry, i know i have alot of questions, i've just heard alot of praise for him without seeing him play

EDIT: Just seen the video posted above

deafepl

Seem we have too many talents in fullbacks but I hoped I would see more talentedly midfielders.

Classical Mechanic

Ethan Laird
Reece James
Dujon Sterling
Steve Sessegnon
Kyle Walker-Peters
Jonjo Kenny
Trent Alexander-Arnold

Crazy amount of talent coming through for England in the right back position. Lots of competition for Laird.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
One of my favourite prospects at the club. I also love the chemistry between Laird and Chong. Hopefully, it won't be too long before Brandon Williams gets game time for the U23s.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Is he a left back or right back? Left or Right footed? What are his strengths?

Sorry, i know i have alot of questions, i've just heard alot of praise for him without seeing him play

EDIT: Just seen the video posted above
He's predominantly a right back, but can play to a high standard at left back, the game against Blackburn in November being a prime example of that.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Seem we have too many talents in fullbacks but I hoped I would see more talentedly midfielders.
Traore, Puigmal and Garner are all extremely talented. Levitt has also started to do well.

NickyT

I know they're just highlights, but it looks like he handled the step up really well, especially for a 16 year old who turns 17 in August. Defo impressed with him over this season.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Good RB's are scarce right now, so if we could produce one ourselves it would be fantastic.

Looks like a great prospect.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Hopefully he stays injury free because I believe he will be a first team player in the not too distant future.

deafepl

England has embarrassing riches of right back, Walker, Tripper, Trent Alexander-Arnold, Wan-Bissaka. I think Ethan Laird will become fullback for us in next few season, I hope he'll be the new Rashford of fullback who never will stop and give everything for the team, work hard and running up + down all day, he's very talented.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
England has embarrassing riches of right back, Walker, Tripper, Trent Alexander-Arnold, Wan-Bissaka. I think Ethan Laird will become fullback for us in next few season, I hope he'll be the new Rashford of fullback who never will stop and give everything for the team, work hard and running up + down all day, he's very talented.
Max Aarons and Reece James too.

I would love to see Laird breakthrough too, but I do think it would make sense for him to have a year on loan in Championship or similar.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I've said it a few times but I reckon he's our best youth prospect after Greenwood, very close between him and Gomes.

I would love to see Laird breakthrough too, but I do think it would make sense for him to have a year on loan in Championship or similar.
Isn't James more of a LB? Or am I confusing him with someone.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot

+ Livramento ;)

Klopp has given Alexander-Arnold a chance without a loan......Young is awful, Dalot isn't 100% ready and i'm not 100% sure that we can sign a great RB in the summer.....give Laird a chance.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
He looks an incredible talent, would agree with him being the best talent behind greenwood. Personally don’t think Chong or Gomes will end up at the top level, hard to explain exactly why.

Gerald G

I've said it a few times but I reckon he's our best youth prospect after Greenwood, very close between him and Gomes.

Probably thinking about a different Reece James because the one that is playing for Wigan (on loan from Chelsea) is a right back.

I hope we fast track Laird's development because he has all the skills to reach the top. The injury he had obviously halted his development but I'd love to take a look at him in the first team during pre-season. It's not like we're blessed in that position either.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot

Probably thinking about a different Reece James because the one that is playing for Wigan (on loan from Chelsea) is a right back.

I hope we fast track Laird's development because he has all the skills to reach the top. The injury he had obviously halted his development but I'd love to take a look at him in the first team during pre-season. It's not like we're blessed in that position either.
The name of our youth product and LA Galaxy pre-season friendly MOTM is Reece James too and he has played for Wigan too (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reece_James_(footballer,_born_1993) ) ......he is a left-back.

Chelsea's/Wigan's Reece James is a RB....a shame Chelsea aren't smart enough to give him a chance because he is a world-class talent.

Brightonian

He looks an incredible talent, would agree with him being the best talent behind greenwood. Personally don’t think Chong or Gomes will end up at the top level, hard to explain exactly why.
Chong: never quite as special as his fans claimed. Very fast and direct, which youth defences always struggle to handle but which doesn't get you far in senior football.

Gomes: just doesn't have the physical assets to match his technical prowess and brain.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Chong: never quite as special as his fans claimed. Very fast and direct, which youth defences always struggle to handle but which doesn't get you far in senior football.
Gomes: just doesn't have the physical assets to match his technical prowess and brain.
Chong: Right. He is 19 years old though. Ask Ronaldo if being fast and direct helped him. Shit, even look at Zaha now, the only time he looks like a world beater is when he gets to be fast and direct. He has a good shot on him, decent passing, dribbling and much more to his game he can develop along with his directness. I'm not even a "fan" of him, its just what it is.

Gomes: Right. He is 18 years old though. Ask Xavi, Iniesta, Messi, Silva, Mata and countless other players if their technical prowess and brain wasn't enough to take them far in senior football.

mav_9me

Hopefully playing as an 8 he will develop like Scholes or Modric or Iniesta or Veratti... Maybe not as good but nevertheless able to overcome his physical deficiencies with his technique and brain.

In Rainbows

I don't understand the physical asset criticism. How tall is Verratti? He's like 5'5" isn't he? I think it's dependent on how you play. And if Gomes is going to play in midfield, I don't see how it negatively affects him.

khoazany

If people actually watch Gomes play they won't be concerned about his physique. Cliché.

About Laird, he's simply special. Take his goal today and his run and cross for Odubeko for example, I bet you don't see many fullbacks around being able to do stuffs like that (in fact not many wingers can). Defensive wise, when he plays CB for England youth team he's their best defender. That's enough to tell.

Touseef

Is this guy so good that we forego wan bissaka? Because we really need strengthening our rb position and if we buy bissaka with dalot as back up, that'll block the kids development. Will be interesting to see what happens this summer for this position

Thiagoal

The kid really does have it all to play fullback; reminds me so much of Gary Neville! Tenacious in the tackle, composed in possession and his final ball is often quality (as shown by the number of assists he gets) I can't wait to see him get game time in the firsts as I'm sure he'll impress

deafepl

Axel, Garner, and Laird are destined for the first starter, more than Chong, Mason Greenwood, Gomes and Dean Henderson (unless De Gea want to leave). We could have 5 acdeaeny in the first team by 2022 with Pogba and Rashford included. Exciting times to look forward, probably most exciting since the class of 92. It'd be beautiful to see our academy group winning trophies like EPL rather than having a full mercenary team (no offense).

SteveW

Is this guy so good that we forego wan bissaka? Because we really need strengthening our rb position and if we buy bissaka with dalot as back up, that'll block the kids development. Will be interesting to see what happens this summer for this position
I doubt if Ole will pay 50 million for a full back. Hes much more likely to develop Dalot who has loads of ability. Laird can potentially join the squad as Young gets phased out.

NYAS

It’s funny how Dalot is basically being dismissed in this thread as some sort of perennial back-up or flop. The kid is one of the most talented RB prospects in the world.

We should enjoy having both. This Wan-Bissaka talk is laughable.

izec

Chong wont i think either. Gomes will if he adapts to the senior game. His body is the biggest issue and how it/he can handle the different game at the top level. Central midfield could be his long term position, rather than the more offensive one.
It’s funny how Dalot is basically being dismissed in this thread as some sort of perennial back-up or flop. The kid is one of the most talented RB prospects in the world.

We should enjoy having both. This Wan-Bissaka talk is laughable.
I agree. We wont go for another young RB when we got 2 young and talented ones here already, it is completely madness.