Ethan Laird

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
All this physical stuff is nonsense now city are battering the league with midgets and are playing sensational football we need to leave this obsession of physique and height in the past and give people a chance.
City’s midgets are all at prime age and ability though. I can see the size argument working against us if you expected a small young player to come in and really help the team straight away

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Huge talent - hope he gets fit

willhse456

Ornstein mentioned that the club doesn't want a new right back to block Dalot and Laird's pathway, so he's clearly highly rated by the coaching staff.

Mugiwarared71

City’s midgets are all at prime age and ability though. I can see the size argument working against us if you expected a small young player to come in and really help the team straight away
that is true but Angel Gomes is certainly better then Scott mc tomminay and look how many more appearances Scott has over him . Not to mention the fact that PSG are looking at Gomes and the kid wants to move because united said he needs to work on his physique and that hes "not ready yet". Utter tosh

Jibbs

He should be sent on loan to a Championship team, but ideally to some team in Bundesliga. As for Gomes, he should be used in first team next year.

MUFC OK

In honesty, the best prospect we’ve got along with Greenwood. Think he’s nearly ready for the first team already. I’d like to see him go on preseason.

oskarutd

Big strong guys like Laird have advantage in youth football. We will see how he will progress when he gets used to playing with professionals. He has played 1 game in the reserve league.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He should be sent on loan to a Championship team, but ideally to some team in Bundesliga. As for Gomes, he should be used in first team next year.
The obsession with loans on this forum, I swear :lol:

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
that is true but Angel Gomes is certainly better then Scott mc tomminay and look how many more appearances Scott has over him . Not to mention the fact that PSG are looking at Gomes and the kid wants to move because united said he needs to work on his physique and that hes "not ready yet". Utter tosh
No he isn't, more potential yes, but until Gomes puts in some of the big performances McTomminay does he won't be a better player.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
No he isn't, more potential yes, but until Gomes puts in some of the big performances McTomminay does he won't be a better player.
Has he had the chance?

crossy1686

career ending
Think it's make or break for a lot of our youngsters next season. Throw them all in the first team, this lad included and if they make it, they make it. If they don't we've lost nothing but it will prove to all the upcoming talent around Europe that we give youth a chance if you're good enough.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
He hasn't even played u23s yet, he isn't going on loan. And please tell us of all these amazing Bundesliga loans which don't actually exist.

The obsession with loans on this forum, I swear :lol:
Even worse is the obsession with Bundesliga loans as if they are just begging to give game time to young English players on loan despite there being no evidence at all to back it up.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Has he had the chance?
Listen, I've been vocal about Ole playing crap, "proven" old players as much as the next poster, but we dont know how Gomes will take to first team football, playing McTomminay shouldn't effect Gomes as they dont play the same positions, my preference is to see them both playing.

pascell

Listen, I've been vocal about Ole playing crap, "proven" old players as much as the next poster, but we dont know how Gomes will take to first team football, playing McTomminay shouldn't effect Gomes as they dont play the same positions, my preference is to see them both playing.
Can you not take this to the Gomes thread, has nothing to do with Laird.

I'm hoping we dont sign Wan Bissaka because of this guy, he looks great going forward and is a strong lad, I think he'll get some minutes next season. His acceleration is brilliant too, just breezes past players.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Can you not take this to the Gomes thread, has nothing to do with Laird.

I'm hoping we dont sign Wan Bissaka because of this guy, he looks great going forward and is a strong lad, I think he'll get some minutes next season. His acceleration is brilliant too, just breezes past players.
Fair enough, I was only replying to a poster saying a youth player was better than a first team player!

Bubz27

You've misunderstood me completely.

I'm saying it's impossible to say Gomes isn't a better player than McTominay purely because McTominay has put in big game performances. McTominay's actually had big games to play in.

And I don't think it'd be unfair to say Gomes has done more at youth level than McTominay to deserve a chance. Most of us know McTominay was initially given the chance because of his stature.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
You've misunderstood me completely.

I'm saying it's impossible to say Gomes isn't a better player than McTominay purely because McTominay has put in big game performances. McTominay's actually had big games to play in.

And I don't think it'd be unfair to say Gomes has done more at youth level than McTominay to deserve a chance. Most of us know McTominay was initially given the chance because of his stature.
I didn't misunderstand, I made that comment because a poster said Gomes was the better player, you replying to me says that you agree with said poster.

Obviously Gomes is the superior talent, but that doesn't mean much.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I didn't misunderstand, I made that comment because a poster said Gomes was the better player, you replying to me says that you agree with said poster.

He could be the better player also, we'll find out next season hopefully

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
He could be the better player also, we'll find out next season hopefully
He could yes, he has the talent to, I agree, would love to see us give players like Laird and Gomes a chance in place of the dross in the first team squad.

Bubz27

No, I said what I meant.

MUFC OK

I really hope that Ole is considering giving this lad a chance as we have a real talent in our hands. Comparing him to Wan-Bissaka I think he can be far far better.

If the scousers can give TAA a chance, why can’t we with Laird?

Kostov

I really hope that Ole is considering giving this lad a chance as we have a real talent in our hands. Comparing him to Wan-Bissaka I think he can be far far better.

We have captain Ashley Young, they didn't....

Cassidy

Its my understanding he hasn't played much for the u23s yet? Anyway hopefully he can get some Europa League games next season, really hope we blood some youngsters in that competition next season

The good thing is his name has been mentioned when it comes to signing a RB so the club are thinking about him

Cassidy

I don't think he's played a single U23s match. U18s and UEFA Youth matches only.
Apparently he has played for the U23s this season, played vs Swansea.

I wonder if we could make him backup LB this season, he can apparently play on both sides very well. Or maybe we move Dalot to backup LB and use Laird as backup RB.

Fosu-Mens

Said it before, and will say it again: Laird and Greenwood are the two players most likely to play regularly for the first team regardless of the manager and style of play. They both have the technical and physical ability to make it and they do not really have any major weaknesses.

For Gomes to be an asset, the team would have to be dominant in possession (one of the best players at the club with the ball).
Chong needs space since his technique is not as polished and his movement is not good enough when changing directions during sprints.

cathari

Wow, he looks really promising. Coming here from the AWB thread, I can't help with thinking AWB would be a waste of money when we've already got Laird.

Robbo*

Said it before, and will say it again: Laird and Greenwood are the two players most likely to play regularly for the first team regardless of the manager and style of play. They both have the technical and physical ability to make it and they do not really have any major weaknesses.

For Gomes to be an asset, the team would have to be dominant in possession (one of the best players at the club with the ball).
Chong needs space since his technique is not as polished and his movement is not good enough when changing directions during sprints.
Agree - and it looks like Henderson and Tuanzebe have done enough on loan to be competitive for squad places. What about O’Connor? He doesn’t seem to have been considered for the first team.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Agree - and it looks like Henderson and Tuanzebe have done enough on loan to be competitive for squad places. What about O’Connor? He doesn’t seem to have been considered for the first team.
I think JB mentioned that he's still very highly rated but the coaches were a bit concerned about his physique, we'll see him soon enough I imagine, he's a talented kid.

MUFC OK

Wow, he looks really promising. Coming here from the AWB thread, I can't help with thinking AWB would be a waste of money when we've already got Laird.
My thoughts exactly, laird looks far more multifaceted and I always think the sign of a good defender is winning the ball without going to ground, laird is the opposite of AWB in this respect.

Different levels as AWB has played PL but he’s a few years older and only broke onto the scene this season.

Kearnkoff69

He looks good. I hope he gets some chances to play next year, especially if we strike out in the fullback market. No more Young at RB, please.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Ornstein even mentioned him as someone put forward by Nicky Butt who could make the step up. Andy Mitten and a few others have said the same.

Think he'll be around the first team squad next season.

redtony

Fully agree with this.
Greenwood and Laird are very talented and with the right coaching and graft should make it.
But Chong is the one that will disappoint, his control and technique isn't nearly as good as it should be. Probably see him back in Holland in next few years.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Ornstein even mentioned him as someone put forward by Nicky Butt who could make the step up. Andy Mitten and a few others have said the same.

Think he'll be around the first team squad next season.
Ornstein is a journalist who is usually focused more on Arsenal. The fact that he spoke about United & mentioned this boy name out of nowhere it’s not coincidence BS, it’s legit. Why would any journalist want to make BS statement by mentioning an unknown teenager from academy. BS journalist would have mention much bigger names like Cancelo, Pereira & etc.

Last edited:

dutchred

I hope we dont but a young full back so as the kid rom Crystal Palace. I would prefer an experienced older right back go give Dalot and Ethan time to develop