Ethan Laird

Adnan

Talent Spotter
@Devil may care

He had his leg in a caste at the end of January after suffering a knee injury, so it would be a surprise to see him against Derby if I'm honest.

Devil may care

@Devil may care

He had his leg in a caste at the end of January after suffering a knee injury, so it would be a surprise to see him against Derby if I'm honest.
That sucks, I think Ole might have given him a shot as AWB definitely needs a rest and like I said Dalot hasn't really shown much in his recent chances.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
That sucks, I think Ole might have given him a shot as AWB definitely needs a rest and like I said Dalot hasn't really shown much in his recent chances.
Agree. As good as Dalot is going forward, I think he has a lot to learn defensively. Probably won't see the best of Laird until the summer warm up matches, where I expect him to excel.

lenny_1248

I've always thought he's not so far behind Mason in terms of raw talent and potential.
Hopefully, he can overcome injury problems and put pressure on AWB.

red thru&thru

I'm really looking forward to him breaking through...whether with us or on loan somewhere.

Thiagoal

For me he’s the most talented full back I’ve seen us produce since G Neville- will be very interesting to see how he develops and let’s pray he steers clear of any more injuries as this will be the only thing holding him back

Mickson

I'm assuming the U23 will not play anymore this season, so he is not going to feature I imagine. Sadly, because I would play him before Dalot.

Brightonian

I'm assuming the U23 will not play anymore this season, so he is not going to feature I imagine. Sadly, because I would play him before Dalot.
You never know. We have the second tie against LASK, already 5-0 up. We'll have a lot of games over a short space of time so I expect Ole will be keen to play lots of kids in that one.

vanderpants

For me he’s the most talented full back I’ve seen us produce since G Neville- will be very interesting to see how he develops and let’s pray he steers clear of any more injuries as this will be the only thing holding him back
G nev was talented ?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
You never know. We have the second tie against LASK, already 5-0 up. We'll have a lot of games over a short space of time so I expect Ole will be keen to play lots of kids in that one.
You think the Europa League will resume? Has there been any news about European football starting back up like that? Some of the teams still in are from leagues which have finished haven’t they?

lenny_1248

You think the Europa League will resume? Has there been any news about European football starting back up like that? Some of the teams still in are from leagues which have finished haven’t they?
There were news that they want to finish the competitions (CL and EL) by the end of August.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
G nev was talented ?
yes...

clearly not one of the best technical footballers we have ever produced but even from a young age he clearly had a lot of talent with his reading of the game, marking and tackling were excellent and he established himself ahead of paul parker (who was an england international at the time) and became an england regular by the age of 21

that didnt happen by luck - he was a very talented defender - so was wes brown and whilst both of them are not the most technical footballers there is more to football talent than spraying a ball round with the outside of the boot and a killer first touch.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He’s far more talented than Gary Neville. As is Williams, who himself is far less talented than Laird.

izec

It will probably start and finish, somewhere in mid to late July and maybe August. They will have discussions about that in a couple of weeks i believe

ROFLUTION

He’s far more talented than Gary Neville. As is Williams, who himself is far less talented than Laird.
I think Laird has a lot of skills, but that's quite a statement, considering Williams has broken into the first-team at age 19 and has played 12 games.

He's 1 year older. If Laird breaks into the team like Williams, I'll be very happy. People need to realize that talent is also hard work, great mentality, good decision-making, all which Williams posses. Talent is not just skills.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I think Laird has a lot of skills, but that's quite a statement, considering Williams has broken into the first-team at age 19 and has played 12 games.

He's 1 year older. If Laird breaks into the team like Williams, I'll be very happy. People need to realize that talent is also hard work, great mentality, good decision-making, all which Williams posses. Talent is not just skills.
By any metric, Laird is more talented. Williams did not get into the team because he was better than Laird. There was an opening at the time, and he was fit. He then took his chance by performing quite well. His progression has nothing to do with his talent in relation to Laird’s. Laird has more than just ‘skills’ on him too. He is stronger, faster, a better attacking threat in terms of crossing and scoring, and better defensively.

There is little to suggest that Laird’s attitude and hardwork is lacking in relation to Williams either. He has pushed himself his whole career far above his age group. He has just been unlucky with injuries. My observation is a player who has great talent rarely has his hard work spoken about, while it is the first thing people want to talk about when a player is leas talented. That's their standout attribute. Messi is a very hard worker, for example! So is Jordan Henderson. You can easily spot the difference in the attention their work rate draws.

But yea, I’d say Williams is a bigger talent than Nev, not as big as Laird. I’m not sure where O’Shea would fit into this either, as he was special when he first broke through, before becoming quite shite.

Last edited:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Glad to just see him fit. Future star.
If he stays injury free, I predict he'll relegate Wan Bissaka to the bench in time. The best fullback talent I've ever seen come through the ranks at United.

M16Red

If he stays injury free, I predict he'll relegate Wan Bissaka to the bench in time. The best fullback talent I've ever seen come through the ranks at United.
He's a very good player - he is sometimes caught out of position.

Wan bissaka has more tackles then the rest of the back four put together strange how people no longer see that as a incredible skill for a defender at the age 22,

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I’d agree with that, in terms of his potential. Of course, it will take more than just being injury free, and focus and luck will play a part. But the potential of a world-class full-back is definitely there, and I’d agree with you that he’s better than anything I’ve ever seen in our academy in his position.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He's a very good player - he is sometimes caught out of position.

Wan bissaka has more tackles then the rest of the back four put together strange how people no longer see that as a incredible skill for a defender at the age 22,
I see fullbacks as attackers in the modern game and Ethan Laird is a attacker who has the potential to be world class in that regard. It's easier to coach defending than attacking too IMO.

M16Red

I see fullbacks as attackers in the modern game and Ethan Laird is a attacker who has the potential to be world class in that regard. It's easier to coach defending than attacking too IMO.
I don't agree - Wan-Bissaka has a ability that can not be taught its based around around his physical attributes and timing, there is a reason they call him spider.

Aymeric Laporte 26 and Virgil van Dijk 27 before there move, Walker was around the same age. You might say, well they were good before the transfer. Some people said Van Dijk was a waste of money.. Now look at him.

Which is easier to teach crossing or defending? One is a technique the other is a whole skil set.

In my opinion :)

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I don't agree - Wan-Bissaka has a ability that can not be taught its based around around his physical attributes and timing, there is a reason they call him spider.

Aymeric Laporte 26 and Virgil van Dijk 27 before there move, Walker was around the same age. You might say, well they were good before the transfer. Some people said Van Dijk was a waste of money.. Now look at him.

Which is easier to teach crossing or defending? One is a technique the other is a whole skil set.

In my opinion :)
Attacking is more difficult than defending. Passing the ball, linking up with the attackers and being a threat in the final third is way more difficult. And then you have to defend too. Klopp, Pep, Nagelsmann, Rose are some of the best or potentially best coaches in the game and the attacking fullback is a big weapon in their tactical arsenal. Even Ole wants his fullbacks to push forward. A good cross is welcome, but without the above attributes it's pointless.

I could be wrong about Laird but if he can stay injury free, he will give AWB a major headache due to his superior ability on the ball imo.

M16Red

Attacking is more difficult than defending. Passing the ball, linking up with the attackers and being a threat in the final third is way more difficult. And then you have to defend too. Klopp, Pep, Nagelsmann, Rose are some of the best or potentially best coaches in the game and the attacking fullback is a big weapon in their tactical arsenal. Even Ole wants his fullbacks to push forward. A good cross is welcome, but without the above attributes it's pointless.

I could be wrong about Laird but if he can stay injury free, he will give AWB a major headache due to his superior ability on the ball imo.
Laird is my second favourite in the unders.

I believe that the ex right winger AWB will get better in the attack. If Laird could tackle more than the rest of the whole defence put together next season in his season then AWB would need to worry.

Ask your self other than TAA in the EPL who would you have over AWB include his just 22 in his second season in the EPL.

The coaches above play there way, how meny assets do you see Shaw or Williams with? Hell Walker has 2 assets and one goal.

It's a nice headache if he can stay fit, he reminds me so much of Valencia all right foot. :)

ATXRedDevil

The reality is that Laird is the perfect foil for AWB, tactically. In a couple of years, we'll hopefully have an insanely talented attacking RB to go along with the best defensive RB in the league. There will be games better suited for one over the other based on tactics (and injury/form/fatigue/etc.)

Excited to see this kid get some chances over the next 12 months.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
About 4 times better than Dalot
Unfortunately so far has been just as injury prone. Hope they can both stay injury free and we really get to see what they can do at the top level.