Ethan Nwaneri | 15 year old makes Arsenal bench

mav_9me

Yep, I don't get those who are slamming an 88th minute sub for an academy player in such unlikely circumstances.

Odegaard -> Smith-Rowe -> Vieira -> Nelson -> Patino -> Nwaneri

He's our sixth choice at AM and everyone else is injured or on loan. I thought the whole point of 7 subs is to give academy players a taste of first team football to aid their transition?
Yes but surely there are more deserving academy players than him would be the point.

It's obvious arsenal are doing this for reasons other than he deserves a chance.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Yes but surely there are more deserving academy players than him would be the point.

It's obvious arsenal are doing this for reasons other than he deserves a chance.
Why surely? Who do you have in mind?

This conversation is inane.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal

He’s the current AM for our U21s. I literally just ran through our depth chart in that position. He IS the available academy player who was deserving of the chance.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
Onuha is saying that because that’s how he would have felt. But Jack Wilshere has often said how Cesc getting chances early encouraged him. Charlie Patino has said how Saka coming becoming a key player for us as a teen demonstrated that there’s a pathway.

If our academy players are salty about another academy player getting chances with the first team, they’re unlikely to make it with us or any top club. Competition for places is a reality they need to contend with.

If you have faith in your abilities, you would view it as yet more proof that you will be given opportunities with the first team if you deliver in training.

mu4c_20le

Well said Nedum, glad people are seeing through this. Mikel's ego taking over again.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Our current captain made his international debut as a 15 year old, never mind his club debut.

And of course this was agenda driven. The club knows he's 1 of the most highly rated players in the country around that age group, and they'll also be aware that he's being highly courted, so they are obviously doing what they can to convince him how highly rated he is at Arsenal and he'll get chances if he stays.

Unfortunately even at that age football is cut throat, players getting released all the time, players being tapped up etc. We lost Omari Hutchinson to Chelsea because they apparently offered him 5x or 6x what we were.

At that age clubs are well aware who the best talents are through the academy system, and the other players know it as well.

BurgerVan

Supports
Arsenal
Touched a nerve there!
Not really touched a nerve pal. More like you HAVE a nerve talking about squad depth, when you rely on an individual more than Nirvana relied on Kurt Cobain.

FeelingDangerous

Supports
Arsenal
This is done. Signed with Arsenal this afternoon. There's a lot of pleased Arsenal fans over this, Nwaneri is considered the jewel of our recent graduating class – behind only Myles Lewis-Skelly who looks a special talent in his own right.

Allegedly Nwaneri never wanted to leave Arsenal and it was always his intention to stay. He’s an Arsenal boy through and through, grew up a stones throw from the stadium. I’m not sure how much I believe that, there was very loud and very consistent noises he was as good as gone earlier in the year – whether it was a power play to eek out a better payday I’m not sure. It's easy to play the doting boyhood fan after the fact.

Either way, very satisfying that’s he’s staying put.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
This is done. Signed with Arsenal this afternoon. There's a lot of pleased Arsenal fans over this, Nwaneri is considered the jewel of our recent graduating class – behind only Myles Lewis-Skelly who looks a special talent in his own right.

Allegedly Nwaneri never wanted to leave Arsenal and it was always his intention to stay. He’s an Arsenal boy through and through, grew up a stones throw from the stadium. I’m not sure how much I believe that, there was very loud and very consistent noises he was as good as gone earlier in the year – whether it was a power play to eek out a better payday I’m not sure. It's easy to play the doting boyhood fan after the fact.

Either way, very satisfying that’s he’s staying put.
I think he's quite a bit better than Lewis-Skelly to be quite honest.

Beaucoup

I think he's quite a bit better than Lewis-Skelly to be quite honest.
I heard he threw his teddy’s out of the pram due to him perceiving the club were looking after Skelly more than him

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
I heard he threw his teddy’s out of the pram due to him perceiving the club were looking after Skelly more than him
Sounds like someone who believed his own hype from a very young age. Will be interesting to see how he develops and whether he has the mentality to reach his undoubted potential.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Was pretty close to going to City or Chelsea just now by all accounts, would have skipped the 5 year wait.
If you actually want first team chances then there's not really any point going to City or Chelsea yet.