EURO 2004 Portugal - England

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Yugoslavia 3-4 Spain surely has to be the greatest Euro championship game ever?
I watched it this afternoon on BBC. Some fantastic technical players but lots of careless passing and mediocre defending (Spanish not clearing the ball for 3rd Yugoslavia goal is comical). Interesting watching Guardiola playing again, you could see in his mind he could still play at that level no problem but he simply couldn't run anymore so you had likes of Savo Milosevic just breezing down the wing past him. Ivan Helguera in midfield aswell, really? Thought Gerard Lopez would've been in as he had a fantastic year for Valencia in their CL run (his career never really hit the heights after though). Alfonso and Pedro Munitis were very good though.

Can't fault the finish though! Like the 99 cl final.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
I always remember Ricardo taking his gloves off for the shootout. I don't think I've seen anyone else do that.
Not for nothing but I would take him in a penalty shootout over anyone in the world if my life was on the line. He was an average keeper but one of the best penalty shootout keepers I have ever seen.

I think in 06 he guessed the correct way in EVERY single penalty. Even the commentator said "he is a monster at saving penalties that guy".

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Thanks for sharing that, one of the great joys of football is seeing England getting KO'ed of an International tournament.

Leg-End

The Campbell disallowed goal didn't get better with time, nothing wrong with it in the slightest.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Campbell scored a regular goal (making it 2 1 with little regular time left) but it was dissalowed as a foul on the keeper. Mental decision by the ref in my opinion
The Campbell disallowed goal didn't get better with time, nothing wrong with it in the slightest.

I know there are different rules for goalkeepers in England but still...

big rons sovereign

I know there are different rules for goalkeepers in England but still...
Terry doesn't touch him until they're all in the air, Ricardo was weak and was never winning that ball and decided to fall over when he realised it.
Weak homer ref.

big rons sovereign

How can this be true when Ricardo wasn't even in the air at all?
He didn't try jumping until campbell and Terry were up there. He was weak then threw himself on the floor. You can try and dress it anyway you like, it's never a foul and the ref saved Portugal.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
He didn't try jumping until campbell and Terry were up there. He was weak then threw himself on the floor.
Terry puts his arm over him as he's about to jump inside his box.

It's a foul anywhere other than in the Premier League who apply the rules completely differently on this compared to the rest of the world.

big rons sovereign

It's a foul anywhere other than in the Premier League who apply the rules completely differently on this compared to the rest of the world.
No offence mate, but that's Bollox.

SharpshooterTom

I agree Terry put his arm over the goalkeeper's shoulder to stop him from jumping. He effectively impeded him so I think's a foul.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
I agree Terry put his arm over the goalkeeper's shoulder to stop him from jumping. He effectively impeded him so I think's a foul.
Terry himself clearly knows it was a foul. Other England players started shouting at the ref but he knew

Gibb11

I watched it this afternoon on BBC. Some fantastic technical players but lots of careless passing and mediocre defending (Spanish not clearing the ball for 3rd Yugoslavia goal is comical). Interesting watching Guardiola playing again, you could see in his mind he could still play at that level no problem but he simply couldn't run anymore so you had likes of Savo Milosevic just breezing down the wing past him. Ivan Helguera in midfield aswell, really? Thought Gerard Lopez would've been in as he had a fantastic year for Valencia in their CL run (his career never really hit the heights after though). Alfonso and Pedro Munitis were very good though.

Can't fault the finish though! Like the 99 cl final.
Great game had everything, Helguera did play in midfield from time to time i think. In his later carear at Madrid he played more centre back, still I was positively surprised about his technical ability tbh. Also Siniša Mihajlović pinging balls was a joy to watch, also his attempt to shoot from a free kick around the 55 min around half way line was great to watch!

Untd55

Don't know why people are saying we should have changed the team; that wasn't the problem. That Portugal team was great and we matched it. The problem was that for some reason we always lost at penalties, even though we had great takers. Lampard and Gerrard etc.

Michael Owen goal was class. Showed how good he was back then.

I would love to have those midfielders now. Compare:

Then: Lampard, Gerrard, Scholes, Hargreaves

Now: Henderson, Rice, Chamberlain

Last edited:

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
International football seemed to peak in this tournament (even the qualifayers were allright). All of them since have been hit and miss, more of the latter.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
This one against Portugal is never a foul. The one against Argentina was a 100% a foul, might need to rewatch that one
Yeah it’s clear as day. Shearer leads with the elbow, gets nowhere near the ball and hits Roa on the side of the coupon.

Feel for big Sol though. It happens twice at the death in the two biggest international games of the careers of that generation. Both coming in tournaments he played exceptionally well in. He probably doesn’t get the credit he deserves and those sort of moments can transform players’ legacies.

IrishRick

Yeah it’s clear as day. Shearer leads with the elbow, gets nowhere near the ball and hits Roa on the side of the coupon.

Feel for big Sol though. It happens twice at the death in the two biggest international games of the careers of that generation. Both coming in tournaments he played exceptionally well in. He probably doesn’t get the credit he deserves and those sort of moments can transform players’ legacies.
Spot on. Also wasn't it him who scored for Arsenal in the 06 Champions League final only for them to eventually lose due to the fatigue of playing with 10 men. Class act was Sol

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton

Rooney must have similar feelings. He is mostly disliked across the country but if that injury did not happen he could of possibly lead England to the final or even the trophy and would be held in much higher regard by everyone.

Red Daz

I was at this game! The atmosphere in the stadium changed completely when Rooney was taken off injured.
Me too, we and a few mates lived in a camper for the whole tournament, we got told by a local where Englands secret training base was up in the hills, so we jumped in a taxi and found it, waited for half hour and sure enough the Squad coach turned up , we were the only fans there, got to meet most of the players, we begged them to let us in to watch training but they wouldn’t budge, amazing summer, good times!

Last edited:

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Don't know why people are saying we should have changed the team; that wasn't the problem. That Portugal team was great and we matched it. The problem was that for some reason we always lost at penalties, even though we had great takers. Lampard and Gerrard etc.

Michael Owen goal was class. Showed how good he was back then.

I would love to have those midfielders now. Compare:

Then: Lampard, Gerrard, Scholes, Hargreaves

Now: Henderson, Rice, Chamberlain
As much as I agree that the current names are a few levels below those of that generation, at least the team is now functional and works quite well. I feel it still lacks at least one top quality player (I felt in 2018, you really saw its limitations after the 1st half against Croatia when Modric and Rakitic truly took hold of the game), but they overall perform their role quite well.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
As much as I agree that the current names are a few levels below those of that generation, at least the team is now functional and works quite well. I feel it still lacks at least one top quality player (I felt in 2018, you really saw its limitations after the 1st half against Croatia when Modric and Rakitic truly took hold of the game), but they overall perform their role quite well.
Weird/annoying thing is when England seem to be on the cusp of something really good they seem to lack in one area and even more annoyingly a player of that calibre is playing for one of our neighbours.

In the early 00's we lacked a true world class winger and Wales had the perfect one in Giggs and now the one type of player we seem to lack coming through the system is a midfield controller and sods law Scotland have Gilmour who even this early on would improve our ability to dictate games.

SportingCP96

Supports
Terry doesn't touch him until they're all in the air, Ricardo was weak and was never winning that ball and decided to fall over when he realised it.
Weak homer ref.
To be fair Terrys hand is over Ricardos shoulder thus limiting his motion.

120% a foul.

big rons sovereign

To be fair Terrys hand is over Ricardos shoulder thus limiting his motion.

120% a foul.
Both Terry and Campbell are in the air before Ricardo even attempts to jump, he was never going to win the ball, made a weak little flap then flopped.
-20% a foul

SportingCP96

Supports
Both Terry and Campbell are in the air before Ricardo even attempts to jump, he was never going to win the ball, made a weak little flap then flopped.
-20% a foul
you don't know if he would get to it or not because he was impeded in doing so. Its not like Campbells head already touched the ball before John Terry put his hand over Ricardo. Looked like Ricardo was attempting to get off his feet and Terrys whole arm is literally on his shoulder.

Would of been a horrid call to allow that goal.

FujiVice

If Rooney hadnt been injured, we'd have won that tournament. Teams were terrified of him. The entire French side was visually raised when Rooney was subbed in the first game.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
That's a foul on the goalkeeper by Campbell. Only in England would there by a debate.

MalcolmTucker

To this day I'll never understand how Cole didn't even get a yellow card in that entire game. Made like 7 fouls and no yellow.

He was a truly incredible player though, don't think there's been a more complete leftback since.

Look at the laziness here though - he'd be crucified in the post-game analysis if it happened in the present day

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Ive not actually seen that clip for years and im shocked how thats actually got called a foul.
Shearer's elbow went into Roa's face as the ball went past them. I can see why it got given.

One of worst was Germany having goal disallowed from corner in the extra time of the 96 semi final just before the Gazza missed. Was nothing wrong with that at all.

norm87cro

Yeah that was some weak ass goalkeeping. And then he becomes the hero of a penalty shot out. That's football for you. I'm glad Greece beat them in the final aldo the Czech Republic were the best team by far in the tournament.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Watched the full Czech-Holland game yesterday, magnificent 90 minutes of football.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Shearer's elbow went into Roa's face as the ball went past them. I can see why it got given.

One of worst was Germany having goal disallowed from corner in the extra time of the 96 semi final just before the Gazza missed. Was nothing wrong with that at all.
I was reminded of that German goal the other week. Those officials are lucky Germany won. Nothing wrong with the goal at all.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Best penalty shootout in football history

Beckham and Rui Costa skying their penalties -> Postiga panenka -> Ricardo saves penalty without gloves -> Ricardo scores winning penalty

Postiga would have been crucified if that had been saved, still can't believe he had the balls to do that.
Those are the best panenka's. Everyone can do it when they're 3-0 up, but that one was mental. Brass fecking balls. I also liked the Zidane one in that world cup final that almost went over.

He did kind of feck that up with the whole headbutting later on.