Euro 2020 (2021?) predictions.

It’s really open. Half a dozen teams at least can win it.

I would struggle to make a prediction. As we’ve seen domestically, COVID makes things A little more unpredictable.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Watch out for Italy and Scandinavia.

England or France to win though.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Szoboszlai to miss the tournament. That's some of the worst news for Hungarian football since Detari turned into a fat alcoholic in early '90s Serie A.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
For everyone here , when was the last time England beat a country like Spain/France/Belgium/Germany/Italy/Holland/Portugal when it really counts ?? 30 years ago ?? To win the EC you have to beat at least 2 or even 3 of them .
I don't really understand these posts. We didn't get to face any of these countries because we were knocked out in the semi's by Croatia. The squad we had then wasn't really expected to go all the way because it was less experienced at the heart of defence and had zero creative midfielders.

Fast forward 3 years later and we have a better defence and are spoilt for choice in the midfield area. Whether we've beaten the aforementioned teams in previous campaigns is immaterial when you consider the new players that are likely to make a considerable impact - i.e. Grealish/Mount/Sancho/Foden/Shaw(Chillwell)/Bellingham/Rice etc.

Sonny1972

i knew i was nuts when the squirrels started stari
I don't really understand these posts. We didn't get to face any of these countries because we were knocked out in the semi's by Croatia. The squad we had then wasn't really expected to go all the way because it was less experienced at the heart of defence and had zero creative midfielders.

Fast forward 3 years later and we have a better defence and are spoilt for choice in the midfield area. Whether we've beaten the aforementioned teams in previous campaigns is immaterial when you consider the new players that are likely to make a considerable impact - i.e. Grealish/Mount/Sancho/Foden/Shaw(Chillwell)/Bellingham/Rice etc.

What about 2016 out against mighty Iceland pr 2014 you didn't even make it to the knock outs .

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
For everyone here , when was the last time England beat a country like Spain/France/Belgium/Germany/Italy/Holland/Portugal when it really counts ?? 30 years ago ?? To win the EC you have to beat at least 2 or even 3 of them .
Spain in Euro 1996, it wasn't a top Spain side but still they had good players.
Before that, they reached semis in 1968...and that's about it.
Tbf they were a bit unlucky with penalties, could've gone further in 1996 and 2004.

Their record at Euros it's pretty poor though, especially considering England is a WC winner, but they have less matches won than Russia(Soviet Union) for example.

Siezard

England won the World Cup in 2017, the U20 World Cup. It involves the whole world in case you forgot!

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
England will be better served to finish second in their group to avoid one of the big dogs in the first knock out stage, but I guess they will have to face them eventually. My dark horse is Italy. I think Chiesa is going to introduce himself to the world in this tournament. I think he's a fantastic player...

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Just hope this European championship is exciting and action packed.
It will never top the glamour and prestige of the WC yet I've always maintained that it's the more enjoyable International tournament out of the two.

tomaldinho1

France I reckon - their setup is perfect for tournament football and individually they're stacked.

lenny_1248

France, Portugal and England are clearly the favourites.

I think Denmark will be a surprise and go to the semi-finals.

alsabi

Got North Macedonia in the office sweepstake. Optimistic.

AshRK

Did the tournament predictor on the UEFA website before and ended up with a France vs Portugal final with Portugal winning. Had England topping their group and losing to Portugal in the last 16. I have a feeling England are going to disappoint. High expectations for this tournament and that's never a good thing for England.
Had france italy finals with France winning. My semis were italy germany france and portugal. I also had England knocked out at ro 16 against France. For me italy have a good path to semis at least.

Droid_Repairs

I'll take a punt on Hungary being a surprise package, their group is insane but they're an experienced and highly capped team. Some of them play in the Bundesliga; then again, some of them play in the Championship, so who knows ? They'll be looking to cause surprises and I'll be supporting them as my second team behind England. I just hope they don't try to park the bus in every game.

Sadly I think England will be underwhelming, I hope I'm wrong. I think we'll escape the group but fail to beat Scotland.

Going to be a cracking tournament regardless.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
France, Belgium (high quality)
Germany, Italy (tournament teams with quality)

One of these 4 will make it.

Germany has to prove that 2018 was a freak result and that we have not lost our tournament magic. Also in some way Löw's legacy is on the line. His last tournament with die Mannschaft.

Droid_Repairs

Germany has to prove that 2018 was a freak result and that we have not lost our tournament magic. Also in some way Löw's legacy is on the line. His last tournament with die Mannschaft.
It would be a pity if his final tournament was to be a flop like 2018, but I don't think it will overshadow the 2014 win. Then again if Hungary 'Pull a Mexico' on you and Germany is eliminated in the group stages again, it would be a pretty terrible end to his time in charge, I can't see that happening, although that group is the toughest of any.

marktan

France I believe are the strong favourites, especially with an in form Kante and Benzema coming back. The depth they have is insane.

Germany I think are also a very strong team, but it will depend on who plays. Gnabry and Sane, or Havertz and werner? The later two suit Chelsea's system but may struggle more in a 4-3-3. The lack of an out and out clinical 9 doesn't help them as werner is really better as a wide player.

England also have a lot of talent, second only to France, but Southgate will play 5-3-2 based on his squad selection and ruin any chance they have. with all the attacking talent they have, 4-3-3 would be the clear approach, instead he'll go for an extra centre back. Could line up with Grealish - Kane - Sancho/Foden, with Mount - Henderson - Rice in behind. Instead will go for something like Kane - one of the attackers, and Mount - Henderson - Rice in behind.

Portugal I think aren't as big a favourite as people think, two of their key attackers in Bruno and Ronaldo looked really tired at the end of the season. I could see them even not making it out of their group if the 3rd place finish thing goes against them.

TheGame

If England win their group they play one of France, Germany or Portugal in the 2nd round. If they finish 2nd they play someone weaker. How does that work? It’s weird this new “3rd goes through” rule

I feel like it’ll be France or Germany who win it. I think England will be let down by the manager.
This new third place nonsense is a fecking shambles.

TheGame

England will be better served to finish second in their group to avoid one of the big dogs in the first knock out stage, but I guess they will have to face them eventually. My dark horse is Italy. I think Chiesa is going to introduce himself to the world in this tournament. I think he's a fantastic player...
If they top and get through I believe they play all but one match at home.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Any predictions for the player/s of the tournament ?

At the moment I'm predicting good tournaments from Ronaldo (shop window), Mount, Barella, Chiesa and De Ligt.

Players I'm interested in knowing more about are Germany's Florian Neuhaus , Holland's Steven Berghuis and Spain's creative midfielder Pedri.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
If they top and get through I believe they play all but one match at home.
I just think if we finish top we get knocked out in the round of 16 against either France or Portugal, home advantage or not. Finishing second in our group is a no brainer for me.

STaphouse

Supports
Reading
There’s people in here that genuinely think England won’t get out of the group. Jesus, Southgate isn’t that bad.

People are also acting like he’s the only mediocre manager at International level when, in fact, most managers at International level are mediocre.

I don’t think we’ll win it though. We’ll win our group and then our route to the final would be too hard.

As for some predictions:

Hungary to finish 3rd in their group.
Scotland will beat Croatia
Lukaku top scorer
Giroud will score more goals than Benzema.

slored1

Any predictions for the player/s of the tournament ?

At the moment I'm predicting good tournaments from Ronaldo (shop window), Mount, Barella, Chiesa and De Ligt.

Players I'm interested in knowing more about are Germany's Florian Neuhaus , Holland's Steven Berghuis and Spain's creative midfielder Pedri.
Mbappe, Kante, Diogo Jota, Dias, Lukaku, Barella/Veratti all good shouts for me to win it.

TheGame

I just think if we finish top we get knocked out in the round of 16 against either France or Portugal, home advantage or not. Finishing second in our group is a no brainer for me.
To do that, they would have to deliberately drop points, that should not happen. To win the tournament you have to beat the best teams sooner or later.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
To do that, they would have to deliberately drop points, that should not happen. To win the tournament you have to beat the best teams sooner or later.
People always say that but it’s often not the case at all. Chelsea had a really easy run through to the champions league final this year. They managed to avoid the likes of PSG and Bayern who could have caused the trouble. The best team doesn’t always win the cup so you want to give the team the best chance. For me yeh best chance fo England winning the tournament Is saving those big games for the latter stages rather than the round of 16.

Oranges038

I've done the Uefa predictor thing.

France and Portugal make the Final.

C Ron breaks the international goalscoring record and wins the cup in the same day.

Cementing his status as one of the all time greats.

Winner - Portugal
Top scorer - Ronaldo
Best player - Ronaldo