Euro 2020 - Britain offers to host Euros

Monkey bus

I have 2 tickets for one of the semi finals at Wembley. Every couple of months I get an email from UEFA giving me the opportunity to return my tickets for a refund. Haven’t done so but have absolutely dismissed the idea a long time ago of me actually attending that game. I’d be stupid to think otherwise.

Agree with a lot of suggestions on here IF it seems a good idea for it to go ahead then one country behind closed doors seems the sensible option.

Karl-Heinz Rummenigge seemed to think this would be the way it would go in this article last month. https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ing-about-switching-tournament-to-one-country

I have 2 tickets for one of the semi finals at Wembley. Every couple of months I get an email from UEFA giving me the opportunity to return my tickets for a refund. Haven’t done so but have absolutely dismissed the idea a long time ago of me actually attending that game. I’d be stupid to think otherwise.

Agree with a lot of suggestions on here IF it seems a good idea for it to go ahead then one country behind closed doors seems the sensible option.

Karl-Heinz Rummenigge seemed to think this would be the way it would go in this article last month. https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ing-about-switching-tournament-to-one-country
have semi final tickets too :rolleyes:

would probably be sensible to run it in one country, behind closed doors.

logically that would be England, from a footballing basis, as already the final and semis were set for Wembley. However, you wouldn’t want this to count as our ‘turn’ - as there’s no benefit to the host country or fans of having it in England.

Raredaredevil

When are we hearing actual news about this? I also have the opening game ticket bought for the Italy vs Turkey match in Rome. This is really bad planning and organization from UEFA. So irresponsible. There is no way they are cancelling it this year after they just announced that Tik Tok has become their sponsor four days ago. It's also extremely unlikely they will postpone it to the summer next year, this might seem the most feasible but it would be a nightmare for the players, to have a European Cup and a World Cup played in the same year - that would take a toll on them and somehow ruin the novelty of a major football tournament. Seems like UEFA is still determined to play it in the 12 nations after rejecting Israel's offer. I think they might end up playing behind closed door in the 12 nations which would be stupid, or end up giving it to one of the 12 nations to host all the matches. I heard Russia was being touted as a replacement to host all the games back in November because of their successful World Cup.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
With the world cup next summer they'll probably feel under pressure to hold it, even if there's no fans at all.

If you can have Euro club tournaments, and still have internationals, there isn't an argument to stop this really.

And the difficulty is you don't want to be moving the World cup, so you either scrap it, or move it to 2023, which means you have 2 Euros tournaments in 2 years which is awkward.

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite

have semi final tickets too :rolleyes:

would probably be sensible to run it in one country, behind closed doors.

logically that would be England, from a footballing basis, as already the final and semis were set for Wembley. However, you wouldn’t want this to count as our ‘turn’ - as there’s no benefit to the host country or fans of having it in England.
So what are you guys going to do with your tickets if its limited capacity and your tickets are chosen? Post it on viagogo or stubhub?

Mr.Plow

They have no option but to go ahead this summer but surely it will be no fans and in one country.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I don't have any problem with a big football tournament being played again in the UK. Think the country deserves it, and makes no sense really to spread the competition around Europe with the COVID situation. Anyway, think the quality will be low, a lot of top players will be completely phisically broken I suspect.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Give it to England but let Wales and Scotland have games if they are allowing crowds in. Maybe even a couple of games in NI.

Tonicruise

Supports
FC Bayern
I didn't like the format to begin with so i would be happy to see it take place in England. It was so stupid to begin with for some many reasons hopefully they don't bring that format back ever again, thankfully in 2024 it's going back to normal.

PoTMS

Matt Hancock just said on Sky News it's not true. So it's happening folks.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
This would be so great :drool: but it will be impossible for normal people like me to find a ticket given the restrictions in terms of stadium capacity...

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It needs to be called off it’s a daft idea staging a 32 nation tournament during a fecking pandemic where Europe is the epicentre.

Moving it to the country whose government have arguably handled it the worst in the entire continent would be mind blowingly dumb even for UEFA

It would almost certainly send us into yet ANOTHER lockdown. No bloody thank you. Just scrap this shit & focus on the World Cup in a years time.

Spaghetti

Mom's
Seems stupid to even consider holding it in the country with the worst covid rates and worst attempts at controlling covid.

We'll be in lockdown 4 or 5 in summer
Britain is far, far ahead of other countries in terms of tests, vaccine rollout and virus control.

In most countries they are, at best, vaccinating the old and sick still.

Only in Britain people think they are so terrible, but that is usually political as the radical youth would like the UK government to be at fault for all of the worlds problems.

Anyway, I have tickets for games in London, Amsterdam and Rome but I doubt I will be able to attend any of them. I do, however, think it makes more sense to put everything in the UK.

TrustInOle

If this goes through and depending on Gareth's mindset, this could be the making of some of our highly touted youth coming through. Rashford, Foden, Greenwood, Rice, Saka, Mount, R.James. Exciting times.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
It needs to be called off it’s a daft idea staging a 32 nation tournament during a fecking pandemic where Europe is the epicentre.

Moving it to the country whose government have arguably handled it the worst in the entire continent would be mind blowingly dumb even for UEFA

It would almost certainly send us into yet ANOTHER lockdown. No bloody thank you. Just scrap this shit & focus on the World Cup in a years time.
How would it send us into another lockdown if almost all adults will have protection against the virus by June, and the crowds would be massively under-capacity with probably only English fans being offered tickets and limits on travel, COVID-rules applying to all teams...?

You’re making out they’re just staging the Euros as normal where the whole population is at risk to the virus and thousands are flocking in from Europe. The whole point is that Britain will have almost its entire population vaccinated against the virus by then whereas other counties won’t...it’s not dumb from UEFA at all.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Seems stupid to even consider holding it in the country with the worst covid rates and worst attempts at controlling covid.

We'll be in lockdown 4 or 5 in summer
Didn't happen last summer with packed beaches et al.

I think the plan as it stand is to test out with the two cup finals and play off final in May and if that works out fine then it will be 30% capacity for Wembley games for the euros. Just local fans allowed and I think they've changed Wembley way aswell so there's more social distancing.

Not sure whole of U.k is just going to host it all, I still suspect some games will be in Munich and perhaps Paris will get some aswell but it will be only in 2-3 places as opposed to the ridiculous 12 that were planned.

Pretty sure there was poster on here or the other euros thread who genuinely thought Uefa was going to strip England of all the Wembley games simply due to Brexit.:lol:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa

No travelling fans will be allowed under proposals submitted by FA, will just be local fans so guess that rules out Scotland fans travelling down for the Wembley match.

Mic

This is a European tournament, it should never be held in England. I hope that even the current planned games in Wembley are scrapped and moved elsewhere.

Britain is far, far ahead of other countries in terms of tests, vaccine rollout and virus control.

Only in Britain people think they are so terrible, but that is usually political as the radical youth would like the UK government to be at fault for all of the worlds problems.

Anyway, I have tickets for games in London, Amsterdam and Rome but I doubt I will be able to attend any of them. I do, however, think it makes more sense to put everything in the UK.
The jury is out on the UK approach to the Covid-19 vaccination roll out. The UK is the only country in the world ignoring the scientific data and choosing to give lots of people 1 dose, rather than fewer people the proper route of 2 doses in 4-6 weeks. UK is giving the 2nd dose after minimum of 12 weeks, which there are no trial data for.

This was a great article that shows how the UK is viewed internationally in terms of Covid:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/01/...es-britain.html#click=https://t.co/93quRhYrlr

Here's a good source of data (https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations) showing the international stats on roll outs. UK looks good in some scenarios, but again if the UK had followed the guidance on how the vaccine should be used the UK figurea would all be halved. Hopefully the gamble pays off for the UK but nobody knows the effectiveness of giving the 2 doses so far apart.

I find it strange you categorise criticism of the government as 'the radical youth blaming the gov for the world's problems' - that's a real cop out. People of all ages and backgrounds are questioning why we have such a hugely disproportionate number of deaths, why we still don't have a working track & trace system, why the UK government is continuing to repeat the same mistakes and refusing to use the methods that have worked in other countries.

Last edited:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
The jury is out on the UK approach to the Covid-19 vaccination roll out. The UK is the only country in the world ignoring the scientific data and choosing to give lots of people 1 dose, rather than fewer people the proper route of 2 doses in 4-6 weeks. UK is giving the 2nd dose after minimum of 12 weeks, which there are no trial data for.

This was a great article that shows how the UK approach is viewed internationally:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/01/...es-britain.html#click=https://t.co/93quRhYrlr

Here's a good source of data (https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations) showing the international stats on roll outs. UK looks good in some scenarios, but again if the UK had followed the guidance on how the vaccine should be used the UK figurea would all be halved. Hopefully the gamble pays off for the UK but nobody knows the effectiveness of giving the 2 doses so far apart.

I find it strange you categorise criticism of the government as 'the radical youth blaming the gov for the world's problems' - that's a real cop out. People of all ages and backgrounds are questioning why we have such a hugely disproportionate number of deaths, why we still don't have a working track & trace system, why the UK government is continuing to repeat the same mistakes and refusing to use the methods that have worked in other countries.
Uefa don't really care about any of that though otherwise international football wouldn't be going ahead or club euro football with so many travel restrictions in place.

Wembley with its hospitality areas probably offers them the best chance to claw back some lost revenue given all the refunds they'll have to dish out in next 2-3 months so Wembley will be last venue stripped given it's hosting the final.

Only way U.K dosen't get games is if the whole tournament is scrapped but I don't see that happening this time. They'd probably have tried to find a way to do it last summer if all the leagues hadn't been stopped for 3 months and needed summer to complete everything.

Probably what will suffer is actually quality of football given the schedule the players have had in last 12 months so it won't be as good a tournament as it should've been.

sugar_kane

Well I for one think it’s fantastic that the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom takes time out of his busy schedule to post on the Caf

There aren't many better options. Maybe we can see if New Zealand wants to host it
The fact the tournament is being played at all in these circumstances is as idiotic as it is offensive. But if it had to happen then there's much better options on mainland Europe. Countries that don't have the infection rates or the new variant spread the UK has.

Deery

Dreary

Agreed, it’s mental to think about holding this during a pandemic. We seen what the effects of Cheltenham had on the infection rates what would this tournament not do.

Spaghetti

Mom's

This was a great article that shows how the UK is viewed internationally in terms of Covid:

Even though I was talking about the COVID situation, I did say “in general”. And in general, young people blame the government for everything. Regardless of who is in power. They usually grow out of this.

And yes, of course things will be questioned in an unprecedented situation. Let’s just hope that everything ends well.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
This is a European tournament, it should never be held in England. I hope that even the current planned games in Wembley are scrapped and moved elsewhere.
And the most mental post of the day award goes to...

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
How would it send us into another lockdown if almost all adults will have protection against the virus by June, and the crowds would be massively under-capacity with probably only English fans being offered tickets and limits on travel, COVID-rules applying to all teams...?

You’re making out they’re just staging the Euros as normal where the whole population is at risk to the virus and thousands are flocking in from Europe. The whole point is that Britain will have almost its entire population vaccinated against the virus by then whereas other counties won’t...it’s not dumb from UEFA at all.
It’s not like there’s new strains of the virus mutating all the time...

I’ve been stuck in isolation for nearly a year. feck UEFA & feck their tournament.

Spaghetti

Mom's
Well I for one think it’s fantastic that the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom takes time out of his busy schedule to post on the Caf
Haha! From an outside point of view, we think it’s hilarious that the UK is in such an ignorant little bubble that the people seem to think they are the only country in the world with problems and that their government is wholly to blame for everything and they seem to use the death and misery as political leverage. I’m sure some even want the situation to get worse so they can blame the Prime Minister.

Here in Spain the situation is very similar to the UK but luckily we have a little more awareness of the fact that this is a problem in every country in the world and that every country is basically taking the same measures. The UK has higher statistics than a lot of countries, but it’s also a small country with a high population and has done more tests than most places.

sugar_kane

Haha! From an outside point of view, we think it’s hilarious that the UK is in such an ignorant little bubble that the people seem to think they are the only country in the world with problems and that their government is wholly to blame for everything and they seem to use the death and misery as political leverage. I’m sure some even want the situation to get worse so they can blame the Prime Minister.

Here in Spain the situation is very similar to the UK but luckily we have a little more awareness of the fact that this is a problem in every country in the world and that every country is basically taking the same measures. The UK has higher statistics than a lot of countries, but it’s also a small country with a high population and has done more tests than most places.
To be fair I actually agree with the gist of what you’re saying, every country has struggled and got things massively wrong because this is an unprecedented situation, and here in the UK if you’re on the left then every single thing that goes wrong is unique to our government, ignoring similar problems elsewhere.

I think we should be pleased with how we’ve managed to rollout the vaccine so quickly, but there are certain things our government have done which are fairly unforgivable (eg. wasting billions on unfit for purpose track and trace systems)

There’s no issue with the tournament going ahead.

it’s in the summer, and we’ve already seen with previous internationals and European club competition that it can go ahead.

the only question is crowds, and players travelling.

having teams centralised in one country would obviously help, and given Wembley was to be used for the finals and semis, it makes sense it’s in England.

at the moment - it’s either no crowds, or a limited amount, and frankly they would need to be UK citizens - no cross border travel. That would be really simple to implement.

the other question is like answered from a very selfish perspective - if crowds can’t go, or are limited, I wouldn’t want Euro 2021 to be England/ GBs turn - and have to wait another 30 years. Frankly, I’d rather it was played elsewhere, in the hope we could host it in the next 10-15 years.