Euro 2020 - Britain offers to host Euros

Smores

If it was delayed just a month or two the UK would probably be in a place to host it all.

Of course if a new strain appears then you'd have to cancel it but may as well deal with that as it occurs.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
The UK is by light years the worst in all departments concerning Covid 19. They have the most deaths, infections, are responsible for all variants and fully responsible to bring those variants in other EU countries which caused current lock downs.
Plus your so called vaccine is yet to be proven effective given the people who died in the initial testing phase. Always thinking you are ahead of others when in fact you're far behind in most things.
Yes the South African and Brazilian covid variants are clearly the UK's fault:rolleyes:

Spaghetti

Mom's
The UK is by light years the worst in all departments concerning Covid 19. They have the most deaths, infections, are responsible for all variants and fully responsible to bring those variants in other EU countries which caused current lock downs.
Plus your so called vaccine is yet to be proven effective given the people who died in the initial testing phase. Always thinking you are ahead of others when in fact you're far behind in most things.
I don’t think that’s 100% accurate, but whatever. The UK is not my country so you should direct your aggression elsewhere.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
This is a European tournament, it should never be held in England. I hope that even the current planned games in Wembley are scrapped and moved elsewhere.
Continentals go on about English football fans being ignorant, racist etc. But then we're reminded you lot are as bad if not worse in some cases.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I suppose they won't like it, but UEFA's best option is probably to do a bubble like the NBA did in Florida for the play-offs a couple of months ago. If they want to have the usual schedule with simultaneous games in the group stages the UK is probably a good spot for that, as you have good stadiums in close proximity in London and also in the Manchester/Liverpool area - although you could say the same for places like the Netherlands or the Ruhr area in Germany. But if they'd be OK with only playing games consecutively, spread out over the day, they could go basically anywhere.

Classical Mechanic

I suppose they won't like it, but UEFA's best option is probably to do a bubble like the NBA did in Florida for the play-offs a couple of months ago. If they want to have the usual schedule with simultaneous games in the group stages the UK is probably a good spot for that, as you have good stadiums in close proximity in London and also in the Manchester/Liverpool area - although you could say the same for places like the Netherlands or the Ruhr area in Germany. But if they'd be OK with only playing games consecutively, spread out over the day, they could go basically anywhere.
I think the doubt over Germany and Holland or other Euro nations is if they’ll be far enough along in their vaccination programs to host it.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
I said in another thread that if we are looking simply for a uefa nation that is best placed to host this then the answer is Israel.

And in some ways that's a good choice because it's be completely neutral.

Of course the problem is, it's Israel. Good chance of a few boycotts!

starman

I really want it too be pushed back to 2022, would be such a disappointment that the first international tournament (part of) held in the UK for 25 years and it doesn't have a full attendance and there's no fan zones or packed pubs..

To then fill the void in the summer and have less fixture congestion through next season they should pull forward the majority of the internationals (friendly/qualifiers) that are planned for next season and play them throughout this June, then hopefully start getting things back to normal in August.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I think the doubt over Germany and Holland or other Euro nations is if they’ll be far enough along in their vaccination programs to host it.
The thing with a proper bubble is that it doesn't really matter. The NBA play-offs happened before vaccines were even available. Just get the players in, let them quarantine, then put them together for the duration of the tournament without outside interaction. It's not very nice, of course (they're cut off from family and friends for the entire duration - up to 6 weeks or so for finalists, including the quarantine at the start) but it's a way to make it happen pretty much regardless of what else happens. It's without fans, of course, but if UEFA absolutely want the tournament to happen, it's the safest option to make sure it can get started and completed as planned, I'd think.

Edit: I'd like to add that, for me personally, cancellation is the best option. There's no need for this tournament, the logistics are a nightmare, and it's been a hard period for players already. Much better to skip it altogether and allow for a good mental and physical reset for everyone involved over the summer.

rcoobc

Probably about as many as will boycott Qatar 2022. Zero.
Tis a good point.

There were calls for the 2013 under 21 tournament held by Israel to be boycotted. Not sure what that days about hypocrisy.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_UEFA_European_Under-21_Championship

Personally I would think you would see a fair few boycotts of the tournament. Israel haven't done themselves many favours with the Muslim community lately (and we should all condemn blocking of vaccines and blocking of aid).

But yes, I'm sure Israel would love to host a major international tournament. They'd be ready (you don't need 50k stadiums when you're limiting fan numbers).

Peace

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Makes great sense to have it one country.
Makes no sense to rush having big crowds together for football.

Might as well take advantage of the natural summer break, and focus on August.

Classical Mechanic

The thing with a proper bubble is that it doesn't really matter. The NBA play-offs happened before vaccines were even available. Just get the players in, let them quarantine, then put them together for the duration of the tournament without outside interaction. It's not very nice, of course (they're cut off from family and friends for the entire duration - up to 6 weeks or so for finalists, including the quarantine at the start) but it's a way to make it happen pretty much regardless of what else happens. It's without fans, of course, but if UEFA absolutely want the tournament to happen, it's the safest option to make sure it can get started and completed as planned, I'd think.
The idea is that in the UK we probably can have fans. The aim is to have all adults vaccinated by the end of July.

rcoobc

It's not very nice? University student had been cut off from friends and family for many months!

I'd miss my kids like crazy if I couldn't see them for 6 weeks but if it meant playing in a major international tournament for my country sign me up!

Classical Mechanic

Tis a good point.

There were calls for the 2013 under 21 tournament held by Israel to be boycotted. Not sure what that days about hypocrisy.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_UEFA_European_Under-21_Championship

Personally I would think you would see a fair few boycotts of the tournament. Israel haven't done themselves many favours with the Muslim community lately (and we should all condemn blocking of vaccines and blocking of aid).

But yes, I'm sure Israel would love to host a major international tournament. They'd be ready (you don't need 50k stadiums when you're limiting fan numbers).

Peace
Perhaps some Muslim players would boycott. The other complicating factor would be that Israel didn’t qualify.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
The idea is that in the UK we probably can have fans. The aim is to have all adults vaccinated by the end of July.
Both doses? I haven't followed this very closely.

I agree the UK would be the best option right now for the tournament if you want fans present; but if they want to have as few as possible surprises and the most planning certainty, the bubble is better. But yeah, UEFA could be willing to sacrifice some certainty over having the full fan experience.
It's not very nice? University student had been cut off from friends and family for many months!

I'd miss my kids like crazy if I couldn't see them for 6 weeks but if it meant playing in a major international tournament for my country sign me up!
It can still be unpleasant even if others have had it worse. But yeah, it's not terrible, and international-level footballers are probably used to quite a bit in this regard anyway.

Classical Mechanic

Both doses? I haven't followed this very closely.

I agree the UK would be the best option right now for the tournament if you want fans present; but if they want to have as few as possible surprises and the most planning certainty, the bubble is better. But yeah, UEFA could be willing to sacrifice some certainty over having the full fan experience.

It can still be unpleasant even if others have had it worse. But yeah, it's not terrible, and international-level footballers are probably used to quite a bit in this regard anyway.
First jab, you’d expect that target to be beatable though. I’m sure we could fill stadiums with the fully vaccinated.

rcoobc

Perhaps some Muslim players would boycott. The other complicating factor would be that Israel didn’t qualify.
Don't need to qualify to host it.

Just looking at financial times vaccine tracker.

https://ig.ft.com/coronavirus-vacci...a&areas=eue&cumulative=1&populationAdjusted=1

There really are only two "medium-large" countries that are going to have a decent chunk of their population vaccinated (anywhere in the world). Israel and the UK. (Edit: and the UAE apparently)

Israel have the double advantage that not only will their population be vaccinated but they are using the pfizer-biotech vaccine which is much more effective and much more effective against these new varients.

I'd love the UK to host it, but in terms of covid safety it's Israel that makes sense.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Most interesting bit about that tweet was talk about ministers allowing outdoor stadiums/festivals to open up by end of May.

If you can have a festival, then pretty much any outdoor gathering of any numbers should be good. Positive news.

Classical Mechanic

Don't need to qualify to host it.

Just looking at financial times vaccine tracker.

https://ig.ft.com/coronavirus-vacci...a&areas=eue&cumulative=1&populationAdjusted=1

There really are only two "medium-large" countries that are going to have a decent chunk of their population vaccinated (anywhere in the world). Israel and the UK.

Israel have the double advantage that not only will their population be vaccinated but they are using the pfizer-biotech vaccine which is much more effective and much more effective against these new varients.

I'd love the UK to host it, but in terms of covid safety it's Israel that makes sense.
Surely you have to let Israel compete if they were going to host it?

Israel would be better if they have the infrastructure.

rcoobc

Surely you have to let Israel compete if they were going to host it?

Israel would be better if they have the infrastructure.
One group of five then? Pick one of the groups at random and stick Israel in it.

Or even add a 7th and 8th group and go the classic 32 team World Cup format ? We all need something to cheer.

Invite the four losing playoff finalists (Georgia, Serbia, Northern Ireland, and Iceland) and the three third placed teams that didn't qualify already which I think would be Republic of Ireland, Kosovo and Norway

You'd have to re-draw the groups somewhat which might be a small issue of a lot of the banners and momentos for the matches have already been made (England vs Crotia etc) but I feel like we're just nit-picking at that point

It wouldn't actually be any more games for the top teams either. They're already playing three group games then 4 knockout.

Mr.Plow

Why would we need a joint bid with Ireland for 2030? There's more than enough excellent stadia in the UK.