Euro 2020 - Britain offers to host Euros

Why would we need a joint bid with Ireland for 2030? There's more than enough excellent stadia in the UK.
politics. Frankly England could do it without the other home nations.

there’s also a trend for shared bids. Which seem to be more favourable to FIFA.

Whoever has the biggest brown bag will ultimately win anyway.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
If this includes travelling fans coming to the UK its probably a very bad idea.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
If this includes travelling fans coming to the UK its probably a very bad idea.
It dosen't.

That said everyone know how many different nationalities are in London so guess some of them will be allowed in to support their nations IF it's shown to be safe

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
It dosen't.

That said everyone know how many different nationalities are in London so guess some of them will be allowed in to support their nations IF it's shown to be safe
Lots and lots of out of work actors who I'm sure would be more than happy to fill the role of *INSERT COUNTRY NAME* fans for a couple of weeks.

AgentSmith

Boris making moves in the transfer market.

The Euros on a cheeky loan deal while he prepares a massive bid for the World Cup at the same time?

Ed should take notes.

Pep's Suit

Sounds like Olympics won't allow foreign fans so surely the same will happen to Euros? Can't imagine thousands of fans travelling from one country to another.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Sounds like Olympics won't allow foreign fans so surely the same will happen to Euros? Can't imagine thousands of fans travelling from one country to another.
Japan has been very slow with vaccination, the UK has been much much quicker, it's not even remotely comparable.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
An all English tournament with only English fans allowed sounds fantastic

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
London will take Olympics too. No problems.

Cal?

CR7 fan
I'll go to the Euros if the vaccine passport is a go by then. :drool:

Raredaredevil

Has there been any news from UEFA about this? It is almost mid March and still no update. Not sure what to do with my tickets.

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
Has there been any news from UEFA about this? It is almost mid March and still no update. Not sure what to do with my tickets.
Absolutely shambolic by Uefa. Almost 90 days out and no fecking guidance.

I need to know whether to book my flight, hotels or what to do with my fecking tickets.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
This is a shambles. Are they still hoping to host it across Europe? They better make their mind up soon!

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Most of Europe hasn't got their vaccination rollout properly going yet. I'll be surprised if fans can attend games. UEFA are pissing about, they don't care about people, only what they want to do.

Hanks

Tickets are available for sale on Stubhub...but no news on UEFA Official Ticket portal.

Anyone has experience ordering through stubhub? Need to do it quite soon, since then want to apply for Fan ID for a game in St. Petersburg.

Called FAN ID centre in Russia today, but they said they have no idea about the tickets (stubhub vs. UEFA Portal), but you need to enter a valid ticket number while submiting a fan ID application.

Wrote UEFA customer support too, let's see what they reply. If nothing, then I guess I'll take the risk with stubhub (which claims are tickets are original)

TheReligion

Abusive
The fact the tournament is being played at all in these circumstances is as idiotic as it is offensive. But if it had to happen then there's much better options on mainland Europe. Countries that don't have the infection rates or the new variant spread the UK has.
This didn't age well..

Anyway yeah I find it bizarre there's no clarification on this yet. Surely the original plan of having games throughout Europe needs to be shelved under the circumstances. It's best keeping it in one place then making a decision around fans and travel. It can be managed much easier then.

JuliaScalaR

Supports
noone in particular
I guess an acceptable solution would be to choose 3 cities that host groups A+D, B+E and C+F. Ideally cities/areas like London, Ruhr area, Manchester or whatnot with more than one stadium as the last matches of the group phase will be played at the same time.
And all the knock out matches should be held in the same city/area. So that would be a maximum of 4 cities. I wouldn't allow fans at all.

Red00012

Tickets are available for sale on Stubhub...but no news on UEFA Official Ticket portal.

Anyone has experience ordering through stubhub? Need to do it quite soon, since then want to apply for Fan ID for a game in St. Petersburg.

Called FAN ID centre in Russia today, but they said they have no idea about the tickets (stubhub vs. UEFA Portal), but you need to enter a valid ticket number while submiting a fan ID application.

Wrote UEFA customer support too, let's see what they reply. If nothing, then I guess I'll take the risk with stubhub (which claims are tickets are original)
Isn’t stubhub a touting site? I’d be holding until mid April mate , that’s when host countries come back to UEFA regarding their government restrictions.

This didn't age well..

Anyway yeah I find it bizarre there's no clarification on this yet. Surely the original plan of having games throughout Europe needs to be shelved under the circumstances. It's best keeping it in one place then making a decision around fans and travel. It can be managed much easier then.
Wishful thinking to assume that in summer the UK is going to be in a good place. The variant causing the high rates on the mainland is coming here, and just as the UK is opening up and people mingling again.

If i was a betting man I'd still bet that the mainland is going to be in better shape in summer than the UK.

It's disgusting football has been allowed to go ahead.

manutddjw

Stay away from Stubhub. They’re a 3rd party site from seller to seller. If for whatever reason fans aren’t allowed to attend you will not be able to get a refund. I had a bunch of concert tickets that I bought from Stubhub that were cancelled because of COVID and I had to just take take the loss. If you really want to try your luck on being able to attend do it through the official ticket provider.

Raredaredevil

I ordered all my World Cup tickets from Stubhub. They are pretty reliable but obviously there is a markup but not as much as compared to the other ticket touters so they are one of the safest ones. I have my tickets from ballot but I'm not even sure if the tournament is going ahead in those countries. Pretty brave of you to book the tickets when there is still no official confirmation from UEFA. I still think the tournament will go ahead anyway. Good luck.

I have my tickets with the opening game Italy vs Turkey in Rome and the quarter final match in Saint Petersburg. Maybe we will meet in Russia. :)

Raredaredevil

Stay away from Stubhub. They’re a 3rd party site from seller to seller. If for whatever reason fans aren’t allowed to attend you will not be able to get a refund. I had a bunch of concert tickets that I bought from Stubhub that were cancelled because of COVID and I had to just take take the loss. If you really want to try your luck on being able to attend do it through the official ticket provider.
Just file a dispute with your bank.

Hanks

I ordered all my World Cup tickets from Stubhub. They are pretty reliable but obviously there is a markup but not as much as compared to the other ticket touters so they are one of the safest ones. I have my tickets from the ballot but I'm not even sure if the tournament is going ahead in those countries. Pretty brave of you to book the tickets when there is still no official confirmation from UEFA. I still think the tournament will go ahead anyway. Good luck.

I have my tickets with the opening game Italy vs Turkey in Rome and the quarter final match in Saint Petersburg. Maybe we will meet in Russia. :)
That's reassuring to know. I actually am not too bothered about the match, I just want to meet my lady friend after over a year and that's the only way I can get my ass to Russia with no problem. as long as FAN ID centre gives me an ID and I can enter Russia, I frankly don't give two hoots about watching the Russia-Finland game at Krestovsky Stadium.

but It's St.Pete in June...white nights, amazing scenery and atmosphere....What's not to love! I have such amazing memories of this city!

Think I'll wait until mid April for the official UEFAsite update, if not, then stubhub it is. Russia for sure will have fans. they had 15,000 the other day and there doesn't seem to be a 3rd wave resurgance there!

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
It's pathetic how UEFA are waiting until April 20th.. 2 months before the tournament to make a decision. They have left their fans out for dead.

Revan

Assumptionman
Giving it to the UK considering that they will vaccinate the majority of their population by that time would actually be a very good idea. Likely the only European country that could have fans in stadiums by that time.

Of course, knowing UEFA, it probably won't happen.

NB: Israel would be another good choice, if they want it.

It's pathetic how UEFA are waiting until April 20th.. 2 months before the tournament to make a decision. They have left their fans out for dead.
they are just hoping, that miraculously they will be able to stage the tournament as planned in 2020.

we Should not be having cross country fan travel for the Euros.

if rules allow, nothing wrong with having fans from the host country in attendance.

Crustanoid

Why not just differ the Europe wide format until Euro 24?

This is literally all about money but surely it costs more to host a watered down tournament fan-wise than not hold it at all

Giving it to the UK considering that they will vaccinate the majority of their population by that time would actually be a very good idea. Likely the only European country that could have fans in stadiums by that time.

it makes far too much sense! especially as the semis and final are already being played T Wembley.

not sure you would get agreement across the UK, so might need to just be England.

if I was the FA, I would want a guarantee that hosting the Euros this year does not found as England’s ‘turn’ and that they have a fair chance of hosting the tournament in the next 3-4 iterations.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned

This is literally all about money but surely it costs more to host a watered down tournament fan-wise than not hold it at all
Most the money will come from ads during half time and sponsorships, so no. Having fans in the stadium is all but irrelevant; especially so when you consider tickets are used as kickbacks in sponsorship agreements amongst UEFA representatives

I would suggest most money comes through sponsorship rather than turnstiles.

Crustanoid

I would suggest most money comes through sponsorship rather than turnstiles.
Most the money will come from ads during half time and sponsorships, so no. Having fans in the stadium is all but irrelevant; especially so when you consider tickets are used as kickbacks in sponsorship agreements amongst UEFA representatives
Fair enough. My point was do the Europe wide format next time so the nations invested in it can hold it as they originally intended. Don’t forget some of them will have envisioned extra tourism, local businesses, infrastructure projects and legacies in their countries etc that won’t be realised in the same way.

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite

Uh no to israel. I don't even consider them as a European country but let's not get into that. Some of the players would refuse to play there as well.

Revan

Assumptionman
Uh no to israel. I don't even consider them as a European country but let's not get into that. Some of the players would refuse to play there as well.
Their problem.

Israel is part of UEFA, so they have every right to apply for hosting an UEFA organized tournament.

Vernon Philander

I know Boris needs to use this a post-Brexit platform to market the UK as open for business - does anyone know what the downsides are to hosting?

Will it require further Tax payer funding £m to get everything in place?

It could endanger rising cases, but we are mitigated having a wide vaccine roll-out.

What else?

Ajr

Probably no longer under surveillance
I know Boris needs to use this a post-Brexit platform to market the UK as open for business - does anyone know what the downsides are to hosting?

Will it require further Tax payer funding £m to get everything in place?

It could endanger rising cases, but we are mitigated having a wide vaccine roll-out.

What else?
What would they have to get into place? We already have enough stadiums, its not like the Olympics. Hotels etc?
easy surely?

Vernon Philander

What would they have to get into place? We already have enough stadiums, its not like the Olympics. Hotels etc?
easy surely?
There are the usual fixed costs to hosting, like hotels as you said, and extra security. But I assume there will be the added burden of keeping all teams in bubbles, extra PPE, extra staff to ensure safe transfers (and that's not even taking into account the extra considerations needed to keep fans safe and segregated).

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
easy surely?
Policing will be very important.

There are the usual fixed costs to hosting, like hotels as you said, and extra security. But I assume there will be the added burden of keeping all teams in bubbles, extra PPE, extra staff to ensure safe transfers (and that's not even taking into account the extra considerations needed to keep fans safe and segregated).
Yeah all that jazz too. The revenue from it will likely outweigh PPE/transfers and that?