Euro 2020 general discussion

Poltophagy

Isn't euro 2000 generally regarded as terrible?
Probably best Euro there ever was. Fantastic Dutch team that went out in a cracking game against Italy. In the final everybody expected Italy to sit back but they came out storming. Late equalizer by Wiltord before Trezeguet scored a golden goal in extra time.

2004 was a terrible, tumescent affair where anti football triumphed.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I think since 2000 all the Euro's have kind of mashed themselves in my mind to form one.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
I will say in fairness to 2004 it did have its moments, the emergence of new stars on the big stage like Ronaldo, Rooney and Robben, an entertaining Italian meltdown, a very good Czech team, quite a few comebacks. If Greece had the decency to be knocked out as plucky underdogs in the quarter finals it would be a lot better remembered.

Josh 76

It’s crazy but the England reserves would give England first team a good game and might even beat them

Henderson

James
Mings
Chilwell

Henderson
Bellingham
Foden
Mount

Sancho
Rashford
Grealish

It’s crazy but the England reserves would give England first team a good game and might even beat them

Henderson

James
Mings
Chilwell

Henderson
Bellingham
Foden
Mount

Sancho
Rashford
Grealish
Certainly going forward. Unfortunately we don’t have much strength in depth with our keepers or centre backs. Henderson has left the squad.

In midfield, you could have a proper debate which is better, our starting players, or the ones on the bench.

Oranges038

Isn't euro 2000 generally regarded as terrible?
I think 96 was probably better. But, Euro 2000 was great. Overall it was a fantastic tournament, European football had some amazing players around then.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Trivia question:

Which club team had a player starting for all the semi finalists in the previous round?

FattyFooty

Henderson

James
Mings
Chilwell

Henderson
Bellingham
Foden
Mount

Sancho
Rashford
Grealish

That is a really good team. England has a bunch of great players theese days.

I still belive the team with Harry, Harry and Luke takes it.

SER19

Strong argument Ukraine were the 3rd worst team at the tournament.

Frank Sinatra Fan

Probably best Euro there ever was. Fantastic Dutch team that went out in a cracking game against Italy. In the final everybody expected Italy to sit back but they came out storming. Late equalizer by Wiltord before Trezeguet scored a golden goal in extra time.

2004 was a terrible, tumescent affair where anti football triumphed.
Theree were plenty of amazing games in that Euro, like Portugal's games.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Why did Uefa have games played in Baku a few St. Petersburg where traveling fans would need visas to get there?
I heard on today’s Czech/Denmark game that hundreds of Czechs couldn’t make the last minute trip cos of the visas (and possibly vaccination confirmation issues too).

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
Would it not be a good idea that in the run-up to big tournaments like these Euros (say from when the practice matches take place) and the actual tournament month itself, all transfer activity is put on hold? I can't believe Man Utd. processed the transfer of Jadon Sancho last week, surely that could have taken his focus off the matter in hand - winning matches with England. I know it didn't, but it could have.

I'm not singling out Utd. by the way, who knows what Harry Kane has been going through this last month and maybe that impacted on his poor performances in the group games. It might still effect him this week too, although I hope not.

Just a suggestion.

Robertd0803

Would it not be a good idea that in the run-up to big tournaments like these Euros (say from when the practice matches take place) and the actual tournament month itself, all transfer activity is put on hold? I can't believe Man Utd. processed the transfer of Jadon Sancho last week, surely that could have taken his focus off the matter in hand - winning matches with England. I know it didn't, but it could have.

I'm not singling out Utd. by the way, who knows what Harry Kane has been going through this last month and maybe that impacted on his poor performances in the group games. It might still effect him this week too, although I hope not.

Just a suggestion.
Makes sense but can see clubs having a massive issue being further restricted when they can do business especially if they dont have players involved in the tournament.

Have to wonder is that why Southgate didnt pick Sancho early on.

K stand Red

Why is the final an 8pm UK time kick off on a Sunday, seems a strange time considering are European friends are at least 1 hour ahead if not 2 in some cases .
If the final goes into extra time /penalties could mean a midnight finish or later for some on a school night as well.

Surely a 4 or 5pm KO would have been better for all and potential viewing figures,.

Raredaredevil

I will say in fairness to 2004 it did have its moments, the emergence of new stars on the big stage like Ronaldo, Rooney and Robben, an entertaining Italian meltdown, a very good Czech team, quite a few comebacks. If Greece had the decency to be knocked out as plucky underdogs in the quarter finals it would be a lot better remembered.
Euro 2004 was the first tournament I've watched so it was the most memorable Euros for me. A lot of young breakout stars.

Dante

Average bang
Why is the final an 8pm UK time kick off on a Sunday, seems a strange time considering are European friends are at least 1 hour ahead if not 2 in some cases .
If the final goes into extra time /penalties could mean a midnight finish or later for some on a school night as well.

Surely a 4 or 5pm KO would have been better for all and potential viewing figures,.
They're used to it from Champions League games. It only seems strange to us Brits because we're not.

Watching other kinds of TV after midnight isn't really that big of a deal, if you think about it.

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town

I get what you mean* but most kids will be in self-isolation anyway, so it doesn't really matter if its a school night or not :)

*The 1986 Mexico World Cup totally fecked up my 'A' levels.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
I still can't believe how Greece won that Euro...95% of their squad was playing in the greek league, and Figo himself surpassed the value of the entire Greece starter line-up.

The biggest upset i remember in Football, considering the quality gape.

That would be like Hungary or Slovakia winning Euro 2020.

Frank Sinatra Fan

Another good game from this Euro. A bit lukewarm first half for some people maybe, though I still liked it and think it was good on a technical level. The second half was electric and excellent! Tense extra time with a few chances. Dramatic penalties worthy of a Euro semifinal.

Spain surprised me, they were clearly better in the match than Italy, although I never thought Spain was this horrible team that everyone was saying after Spain's first games, which were pretty bad. What kills Spain is the attack, but besides that, they are clearly a technically gifted team.

Italy technically well below what they had been showing before, specially against in the great game against Belgium. Did Spanish possession make the Italians too uncomfortable as the game progressed? Or simply a bad day for Italy? I do not know. But Italy arrives confidently in the final despite today's problems.

We can have Italy and England in the Euro final, huh? And it will be at Wembley!

Bobski

I think the world game is in an odd place at the moment, both at club and international level, a real lack of great teams and depth of individual talent(especially in certain positions such as striker, CM). England have an excellent squad compared to the rest and given the state of the South American teams from what I have seen of the Copa they should have an excellent chance at the next WC as well, don't think they have come near to playing at their potential in this, says something about the rest that they have not had to.

Some good and exciting games at this tournament but the quality has not been great, have thought the same during the last few CL seasons. Keep hearing that the game is better and more competitive than ever, but I am really not seeing it on the pitch.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I think the world game is in an odd place at the moment, both at club and international level, a real lack of great teams and depth of individual talent(especially in certain positions such as striker, CM). England have an excellent squad compared to the rest and given the state of the South American teams from what I have seen of the Copa they should have an excellent chance at the next WC as well, don't think they have come near to playing at their potential in this, says something about the rest that they have not had to.

Some good and exciting games at this tournament but the quality has not been great, have thought the same during the last few CL seasons. Keep hearing that the game is better and more competitive than ever, but I am really not seeing it on the pitch.
Yes it just seems to me that there are fewer great players out there compared to say 10 years ago, and to 20. I keep wondering to myself if I am imagining it, or have some kind of nostalgia bias, but I think probably not.

dbs235

Yes it just seems to me that there are fewer great players out there compared to say 10 years ago, and to 20. I keep wondering to myself if I am imagining it, or have some kind of nostalgia bias, but I think probably not.
It feels that way to me too. I think if you look around 2006ish at the big European nations and Brazil, they were all full of well known legendary players. It is hard to seperate it from nostalgia, but it's the same with the Champions League.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
The game is played in a similar way almost everywhere and athleticism trumps technique if you want to win games. The odd team in this Euro 2020 was Russia, they really made a bad impression of a bad East Germany instalment. Isolation does not pay dividends anymore and unfortunately for them Dzyuba was not a Protassov.

Deery

Dreary
What's the significance of Sweet Caroline at football matches? I thought it was a boxing thing, no?
It’s Northern Ireland’s song they’ve been singing it for years blatantly stolen by the English…

Hanks

Why did Uefa have games played in Baku a few St. Petersburg where traveling fans would need visas to get there?
I heard on today’s Czech/Denmark game that hundreds of Czechs couldn’t make the last minute trip cos of the visas (and possibly vaccination confirmation issues too).
You wouldn't need a visa to go to St. Petersburg.

Any ticket holder (Regardless of nationality or passport) was given a FAN ID (which acts as a Visa) that was valid to stay in Russia for 1.5 months...

Russia actually had the least entry requirements of any other host city. None of this fans from some countries not allowed (e.g. Danes in UK), or you have to quarantine nonsense (Brits wanting to travel to Rome).

Hanks

The game is played in a similar way almost everywhere and athleticism trumps technique if you want to win games. The odd team in this Euro 2020 was Russia, they really made a bad impression of a bad East Germany instalment. Isolation does not pay dividends anymore and unfortunately for them Dzyuba was not a Protassov.
I was re-watching the tournament's goals and Russia conceded some hilarious goals....first 2 against Belgium and then second vs. Denmark. All Karius-level of hilarity!

They won't improve as long as the salaries in RPL remain so artificially high, so the talent doesn't go abroad to get better and improve. Can't believe Russia actually managed to find TWO, not ONE, goalkeeper this tournament that make Akinfeev look as good as prime Yashin.

EDIT: Just read Cherchesov has been sacked as the coach yesterday. His salary was higher than Martinez, Holjmund and the Finnish coach combined!

Siezard

HUGE England in Euro 2020 final alongside Conor McGregor vs Dustin fight, Novak Djokovic chasing history at Wimbledon and Neymar vs Lionel Messi in Copa America… it’s an incredible weekend of sport!