Euro 2020 general discussion

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Thought it might be useful to have a thread for general stuff which doesn't fit into any other thread.

Put your funnies, Euridiots, Euro babes (:nervous:) etc

Anyway, has anyone got a Euros spreadsheet? You know, where you enter all the match scores and it works out the tables for you etc?

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Surprisingly quiet section. I thought there will be hot discussion on here already.

Are there any threads on betting / predictions?

Paul_Scholes18

So which United player do we think will have the best tournaments?

I think Mctominay and Scotland can do well and reach round of 16.

In terms of getting the win Bruno or Pogba would be favorites from teams with United players.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
It might be because it's so close to the end of the season, but it doesn't really feel like the opening day of the Euros. There's hardly any buzz in my neck of the woods. Usually the streets would be awash with England flags hanging out of bedroom windows, cars, shop windows etc. I've seen hardly any of it.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
It might be because it's so close to the end of the season, but it doesn't really feel like the opening day of the Euros. There's hardly any buzz in my neck of the woods. Usually the streets would be awash with England flags hanging out of bedroom windows, cars, shop windows etc. I've seen hardly any of it.
I reckon it will quickly take off once the games begin!

Bobski

Already missing the proper tournament feel of one country hosting it. Even the way people have been discussing it has been more like a souped up Europa League than a huge tournament.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
NTs like England, Netherlands, Germany, Spain, Hungary have unfair homefield advantage over the rest of teams
I'm not a fan, doesn't feel as special. But I guess it helps the fans not having to travel. Hope it's just for this tournament.

NTs like England, Netherlands, Germany, Spain, Hungary have unfair homefield advantage over the rest of teams
its unfair…sort of. But there’s always one or two nations that have home advantage at a tournament, it’s just more this time.

given that half the third placed teams qualify from the groups it shouldn’t make too much of a difference.

NICanRed

I was wondering what would happen if we built a team from the non-English current and former United players at Euro. How would this team do?
de Gea
Lindelof - McTominay - Blind
Dalot - Fernandes - Pogba - Memphis
James - Lukaku - Ronaldo

Lots of scoring power - maybe a bit wobbly at the back!

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
its unfair…sort of. But there’s always one or two nations that have home advantage at a tournament, it’s just more this time.

given that half the third placed teams qualify from the groups it shouldn’t make too much of a difference.
I find it a bit bizarre that if you win one game you can qualify for the next round.

Kearnkoff69

I just caught up on all the games that are on my DVR from the last few days and ESPN had 6 games and ABC had 1 game.
Good catch - I had missed the ABC game entirely. I guess that makes sense, given both companies are owned by Disney.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I find it a bit bizarre that if you win one game you can qualify for the next round.
Portugal drew all their games in the group in 2016. The only game they actually won in 90 mins in the whole tournament was against Wales, and they won the whole thing. :lol:

redshaw

While last nights game was good between Netherlands and Ukraine it was undermined by how not as much are riding on these group matches. There's 6 groups made of 4 teams and 4 of those groups will have the third place team go through.

Better context is all these group games are only eliminating the 4th placed teams and two 3rd placed teams. The dramatic group dynamic hinging on a short run of games made these a lot mote interesting before.

Glorio

Very eventful (in a negative sense so far isn't it?) any news on the fan who fell from the stands? Eriksen has understandably dominated the news as he's a player most know, but considering the fan appears to still be in critical condition (based on what I read last), it seems rather quiet on that front

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Very eventful (in a negative sense so far isn't it?) any news on the fan who fell from the stands? Eriksen has understandably dominated the news as he's a player most know, but considering the fan appears to still be in critical condition (based on what I read last), it seems rather quiet on that front
I think he's still in hospital but I had seen it described as a serious condition (not critical) ... if its serious and stable I wouldn't expect any update from the hospital until they know the full extent and any statement is agreed with the fan or his family (depending how serious)

I believe a health and safety investigation is underway at Wembley as well

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
What the feck is wrong with Marko Arnautovic. It's almost impressive how much of a twat he is.

Patchbeard

What the feck is wrong with Marko Arnautovic. It's almost impressive how much of a twat he is.
Good for a chuckle at least. Score at the Euros and his first thought is to turn and shout at the opposition furiously, why not?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
what did he do?
As @Patchbeard said. He scored and seemed to scream angrily at the opposition. Then Alaba tries to calm him down and he gets mad at him and then another teammate gives him a soft slap while smiling and he gets mad at him.

Bit of a lunatic.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
As @Patchbeard said. He scored and seemed to scream angrily at the opposition. Then Alaba tries to calm him down and he gets mad at him and then another teammate gives him a soft slap while smiling and he gets mad at him.

Bit of a lunatic.
:lol:

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
what did he do?
His 'goal celebration' was to start giving it the big 'un to the keeper/defender until his teammates dragged him off. No idea what caused him to be like that either, didn't seem to be any handbags before that.

Ramos

Whoever wins that Group C has a pretty clear path to the semi's. A 66% chance of playing the 3rd ranked team of either D or E and no group winner to play until the semi's.

Helder-Carvalho

England has a chance of playing all games in Wembley up to the final while other NTs must travel thousands of miles. Sounds like 1966 when they changed the semis to wembley at the last minute.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Surprised more hasn't been made of what I feared when it was all kicking off on Saturday evening, Uefa effectively put a gun to Danes heads to get them out there playing.

Options were that night which they chose, 12pm on the Sunday or forfeit the game 3-0. :houllier: Mind boggling lack of compassion as ever from Uefa.

As I suspected at the time Danes acted a bit on impulse to get out and play once they knew Eriksen was reasonably o.k but all admitted since it was wrong decision.

Sometimes there is stuff bigger than tv contracts and all that.

justsomebloke

Yes, but the alternative is to have either 16 teams (which would have been fine by me) or 32 (which are way too many) in the tournament. And at least it's a familiar format from (admittedly now ancient) World Cups.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
4 days on and I still can’t get my head around the (lack of) offside decision for Lukaku’s first goal on Saturday. Really left me with one of my ‘the game’s gone’ moments. If a team can’t get a flag in such a scenario then they should just go home. He was 2 yards offside, and the defender scuffs a clearance to a pass intended for him, which makes him now onside? Such bollocks. Are defenders supposed to just leave the ball because they suspect the striker may be a half a yard offside?

The offside rule needs to be revised as defenders are punished for trying to clear or intercept passes to offside players. A defender can head a pass intended to a man a yard offside out for a corner, and then concede from the corner. Which leaves them having to play linesman themselves and just leave the ball if they think the striker is off.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Power Ranking table after round 1 anyone?

1 - France: the reigning world champions and the best team here started with making Germany look ordinary.

2 - Portugal: the reigning euro champions played in a hostile environment with composure and resilience,

3 - Belgium: Lukaku’s brilliant form on top of widespread talent made very notable absentees irrelevant

4 - Italy: kept sustaining their hot run with Mancini’s trademark fluid football without conceding

5 - England: substance on top of PL-level bursts of brilliance against WC finalists Croatia, a promising start.

6 - Netherlands: started with a ballsy rollercoaster, squandered a double lead and finished with a late winner bang.

7 - Spain: a goalless draw against the usually well-organised Sweden, but they seem to have more in their ranks.

8 - Germany: a steady second half against hot favourites France did not save a draw and uncharacteristic lapses.