Euro 96 - Why didn't Beckham and Scholes go?

TheReligion

Abusive
I was pretty young at the time but was there much controversy about the overall squad selection at the time?

United did the double that year and Becks was a regular. Scholes played less and was more of a forward but scored 10 league goals in 16 starts. Gary Neville went and had a brilliant tournament and it seems odd that only he and Phil went from United when there was alot of English talent at the club all of which would have had sky high confidence at the time.

Were there any other odd things about that squad?

BiggusCrickus

Cant disargee with Venables selection to be fair . We was a gazza foot away from making the final .

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I don't remember there being any real issues about no Scholes or Beckham at the time.

Hindsight is 20/20 of course but at the time, England had Gazza, McManaman, Platt, Anderton, Barmby and Redknapp. Even Steve Stone had a great season that year.

Midfield was stacked and England had a great tourney. I bet if England did shite then there would've been more of a post-mortem.

I do remember being annoyed that Gavin Peacock didn't get a sniff.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
As has been said before, were stacked for forwards at that time. Les Ferdinand was PFA players of the year in 96, didn't play a single minute in the tournament. Fowler made two sub appearences and he was at this peak scoring 25 a season in those days.

Forwards that missed out were Chris Sutton, Ian Wright and Stan Collymore. And Le Tissier. Scholes was more of a second striker in those days so imagine at that time he was a fair bit down the pecking order but then broked through a year later under Hoddle, can remember him doing well at Le Tournoi 1997.

Beckham probably should've been in the squad. Made his England debut in September 1996.

I remember the headline in the newspaper when Scholes got his first call up or first cap.

“England call up Man Utd Reserve”.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Anderton over Becks seems so ridiculous in hindsight but I think he was flavour of the month at the time.

United58

I don't remember there being any real issues about no Scholes or Beckham at the time.

Hindsight is 20/20 of course but at the time, England had Gazza, McManaman, Platt, Anderton, Barmby and Redknapp. Even Steve Stone had a great season that year.

Midfield was stacked and England had a great tourney. I bet if England did shite then there would've been more of a post-mortem.

Good to hear thoughts from a non-United fan on this. As a matter of interest, how old were you at the time? I was 2, so maybe not the most knowledgeable :lol:

Also I Googled Gavin Peacock and found 'Peacock famously scored both home and away for Chelsea in 1–0 victories over Manchester United in the 1993–94 season' so I feel like he deservedly did NOT go :mad: :lol:

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Anderton was injured most of the 95-96 season (only played 8 games) yet got picked over Becks who played 40 games in all comps and scoring 8 goals
:houllier:

youngrell

Good to hear thoughts from a non-United fan on this. As a matter of interest, how old were you at the time? I was 2, so maybe not the most knowledgeable :lol:

Also I Googled Gavin Peacock and found 'Peacock famously scored both home and away for Chelsea in 1–0 victories over Manchester United in the 1993–94 season' so I feel like he deservedly did NOT go :mad: :lol:
He also his the bar at 0-0 during the FA Cup final against us that year.

Hoof the ball

I'm friends with Gavin, so I can confirm that you're not the only one. He thought he did enough to get in ahead of Barmby.

Stone was brilliant at Forest for a couple of seasons. It's completely reasonable to expect to see Stone, Anderton and McManaman in ahead of Beckham at that point, of course.

FujiVice

Venables picked Mark Wright for fecks sake. He was 36, only to get injured and be replaced by Steve Howey. Just off the back of collapsing in the centre of Newcastles defence. Pallister and May would have been better choices than both.

Venables had his side, and he wasnt going to take any risks. We took Barmby, Anderton, Campbell and Ian Walker, regardless of form. Ian Walker got in every England squad for years, based on having Venables and Hoddle as managers.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I don’t think it was a big deal, Beckham was becoming a player though but it was mostly the older heads that won us the league that season Cantona was unbelievable that season. Van Persie is the closest comparison. The kids played their part but were just breaking through. If I remember right Nicky Butt was perhaps the most influential then.

We watched Scholes enjoying it in the pub near us with his friends on the tables, it was strange to watch

Art Vandelay

Bloody hell I forgot all about him, despite him being a staple of my fantasy league midfield for years. Very good player and I was surprised he didn't get in the squad.

Venables just had his favourites and played them no matter what from what I can remember.

Andersonson

Funny that we just had two players for that England team that competition, and that was the Neville brothers.
Beckham had a good season but Anderton was very highly rated at the time, I dont remember any fuss about that really.

Scholes didnt have a great season either, dont remember if he was injured, but I think he was more a sub-player that year.
The one who should have went, is Nicky Butt. He was fantastic that year, but I dont remember if he was in contention. But if my memory is correct he was playing almost every game for us that season.

Reactions: 12OunceEpilogue

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Venables picked Mark Wright for fecks sake. He was 36, only to get injured and be replaced by Steve Howey. Just off the back of collapsing in the centre of Newcastles defence. Pallister and May would have been better choices than both.

Venables had his side, and he wasnt going to take any risks. We took Barmby, Anderton, Campbell and Ian Walker, regardless of form. Ian Walker got in every England squad for years, based on having Venables and Hoddle as managers.
Yeah I don't remember it being an issue at all. It took longer to get international call ups for kids then and people were sweating on Anderton's fitness iirc. Peak Anderton was very good tbf.
Scholes was still a supersub then anyway.

Josh 76

There was no big issue at all. It was there first full season in the PL and I think every one was just in shock (including Utd fans) we won the double that season. The England squad played second fiddle.

TheReligion

Abusive
Interesting reading the thoughts of others. I just found it odd that only the Neville's were called up from a United team that dominated domestically that season. You'd think another few may have been given the nod although it was a different time then.

Still don't understand Anderton over Beckham though. Especially when you look at the stats as per @GifLord post. Anderton was injured most of the season whilst Becks played 40 odd games and scored 8 goals.

They weren't established yet.

And just Because Fergie took a chance on blending 4-5 youth players into the starting line up doesn't mean the England coach should have risked chucking them all into the England set up.

There was establshed players who were in their prime with experience.

Gazza was one of the best Midfielders in the world, as was Paul Ince. Mcmanaman had been playing in the league 3-4 years and was doing well. Daren Anderton was a good player Fergie chased for a while.

Even in France 98 they were considered really young when they were now starters

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
A Tottenham fan at work is adamant Anderton was better than Beckham.

And i mean all in. Not just around the summer of 96.

Him and Hoddle seem the only two who believe that.

pacifictheme

Plus he's now a hate filled cnut so deserves nothing.

Righteous Steps

A Tottenham fan at work is adamant Anderton was better than Beckham.

And i mean all in. Not just around the summer of 96.

Him and Hoddle seem the only two who believe that.
Memories, Hoddle absolutely loved that guy.

antsmithmk

Hates women.
Interesting reading the thoughts of others. I just found it odd that only the Neville's were called up from a United team that dominated domestically that season. You'd think another few may have been given the nod although it was a different time then.

Still don't understand Anderton over Beckham though. Especially when you look at the stats as per @GifLord post. Anderton was injured most of the season whilst Becks played 40 odd games and scored 8 goals.
I don't think stats tell the true picture.

Anderton on his day was incredible. Of he had been able to keep fit for most of his career he would have been up there as one of England's greatest players. Remember at the time in 1996 he was relatively young. The injuries and decline came after, and he didn't retire from playing for about another 13 years after Euro 96, so don't let the events post 96 cloud your thinking.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Beckham didn't even start world cup 98. Anderton started over him then too.

I remember in the world cup 98 video game I think Owen and Scholes were left at home?

Tarrou

Scholes wasn't even in the picture

I don't recall many expecting a call up for Becks either.

The clamour started after the lob against Wimbledon, and Hoddle duly obliged

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Anderton’s injury record detracts from what a good player he was around the mid-90s. The advantage with him and McManaman on the flanks is that it gave England’s midfield a fluidity and ball-carrying ability which they sorely lacked under Eriksson, McLaren and Capello. That made a big difference in their wins over Scotland and Holland and in their performance against Germany. At the time I think Venables got the midfield right as Beckham did not really arrive at the top level until the start of the next season.

Not that it should have been a case of one or the other in the squad. Hoddle combined them to great effect in his 3-5-2 which allowed them to seemlessly interchange between the RWB and RCM roles. In 1996 England’s ball retention wasn’t great in some games so they could have benefitted from another natural ball player. Still Stone was a tour de force around then and Redknapp proved his worth so it’s difficult to say who might have made way.

Last edited:

clarkydaz

Beckham didn't even start world cup 98. Anderton started over him then too.
i remember there was supposedly a little rivalry between Hoddle and Beckham. Hoddle showing Beckham how to take freekicks in training etc. He called out his attitude and focus aswell with his offfield life.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
This is our squad stats according to Wikpedia for the 95-96 season

But that doesn't seem correct given that we scored 73 goals in the league. Unless we had a load of own-goals

Apparently I can't maths this morning

Last edited:

padzilla

Hipster
The bias of managers towards certain players explains a lot why England never came close to winning anything win since 66. For Gary Neville to be the only representative of a club who by the time Euro 96 came around had won the PL three times in four years and the domestic double twice is a joke. If you play for Spurs and are English you are guaranteed an England call-up regardless of what you actually produce. Beckham had a stormer of a season in 95/96 and should have been included ahead of Anderton and then Steve Howey being picked over Steve Bruce and Gary Pallister is just laughable. If Bruce played for another club he would have had about 80 caps.

Ibi Dreams

But that doesn't seem correct given that we scored 73 goals in the league. Unless we had a load of own-goals
The league goals in that table add up to 72, so only one own goal required

riis

Supports
Liverpool

Adds up to 72 league goals which would mean one own goal, doesn't it?

redmeister

Anderton wasn't really chosen over Beckham. Anderton was an England starter, not just part of the squad. So if Becks was to go, it wouldn't have been instead of Anderton. Also Anderton was an excellent player and SAF tried to buy him. In terms of Scholes and Becks, it's Steve Stone and Barmby that would have missed out.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/united-rebuffed-as-anderton-stays-at-tottenham-1591401.html

But he tells FourFourTwo he doesn’t regret his decision to turn down Ferguson, and had no trouble in making it.

Anderton says: “I thought, ‘They’ve lost Mark Hughes, Kanchelskis, Paul Ince... I’m better off where I am’. Obviously not!

“Then Becks came through at United, and Teddy went there in 1997. Two years earlier he had begged me not to go!

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/feature...veals-alan-sugar-block-manchester-united-move

stevoc

As has been said before, were stacked for forwards at that time. Les Ferdinand was PFA players of the year in 96, didn't play a single minute in the tournament. Fowler made two sub appearences and he was at this peak scoring 25 a season in those days.

Forwards that missed out were Chris Sutton, Ian Wright and Stan Collymore. And Le Tissier. Scholes was more of a second striker in those days so imagine at that time he was a fair bit down the pecking order but then broked through a year later under Hoddle, can remember him doing well at Le Tournoi 1997.

Beckham probably should've been in the squad. Made his England debut in September 1996.
Highlights just how much deeper the talent pool of players was back then compared to these days.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible

Andy Cole too. England had an incredible pool of forwards to pick from at that time.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The bias of managers towards certain players explains a lot why England never came close to winning anything win since 66. For Gary Neville to be the only representative of a club who by the time Euro 96 came around had won the PL three times in four years and the domestic double twice is a joke. If you play for Spurs and are English you are guaranteed an England call-up regardless of what you actually produce. Beckham had a stormer of a season in 95/96 and should have been included ahead of Anderton and then Steve Howey being picked over Steve Bruce and Gary Pallister is just laughable. If Bruce played for another club he would have had about 80 caps.
I'm not sure about that season especially with Pallister, but he should definitely have played more for England. He didn't get in the PFA team of the year 7 or 8 times by accident.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Anderton wasn't really chosen over Beckham. Anderton was an England starter, not just part of the squad. So if Becks was to go, it wouldn't have been instead of Anderton. Also Anderton was an excellent player and SAF tried to buy him. In terms of Scholes and Becks, it's Steve Stone and Barmby that would have missed out.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/united-rebuffed-as-anderton-stays-at-tottenham-1591401.html

But he tells FourFourTwo he doesn’t regret his decision to turn down Ferguson, and had no trouble in making it.

Anderton says: “I thought, ‘They’ve lost Mark Hughes, Kanchelskis, Paul Ince... I’m better off where I am’. Obviously not!

“Then Becks came through at United, and Teddy went there in 1997. Two years earlier he had begged me not to go!

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/feature...veals-alan-sugar-block-manchester-united-move
Surely Anderton would have seen Kanchelskis going as a positive. As otherwise he wouldn't have got in the team!