Europa Conference League 22/23

SirMattlives

Not sure it was that much of an upset except to the arrogant folks on the losing side who imagined their league is so far ahead that it was a minnows v giants scenario. Gather some of the pre-game comments served as motivation to Sligo. Well done them.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Shamrock Rovers will be in the Conference unless they score 5 second half goals here in Tallaght.

Some of you moany bastards should be forced to come here and watch this shit. And if you are, can you take my old man so I don't have to.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
There is a kid playing on the right for Rovers called Justin Ferizaj who is the only bright spark. 17. My old man says he's on lots of big clubs radars.

BelfastRed2021

LInfield look like going through one nil up going into second half of extra time.

BelfastRed2021

Wow spoke to soon Linfield have totally bottled it yet again calamity conceding twice in injury time in the first leg and conceding with minute to go in this leg and bottling a penalty shoot out, 2.9 million euros down the pan.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
AZ kicked out Lazio. I know it's just the Conference League and few on here care about either club, but it's pretty spectacular from a Dutch point of view. And that in the same week when AZ's youth team reach the semifinals of the Youth League (apparently kinda like a CL for the top youth teams) by beating Real Madrid 4-0. It's a good week in Alkmaar!

@BenitoSTARR, weren't you an AZ fan or am I confusing you with someone else now?

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
^ Yeah good result but Lazio always seem piss poor in Europe.

Surprised Villarreal went out, I had them down as favourites. Would like to see Fiorentina win it now

Markolan

Supports
AC Milan
West Ham, Fiorentina, AZ Alkmaar, Nice, Gent, Anderlecht, Basel, Lech Poznan in the QF.

I'd put West Ham as favourite if they weren't so busy to fight to not relegate so I believe there will be an absolute surprise in the final

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
West Ham, Fiorentina, AZ Alkmaar, Nice, Gent, Anderlecht, Basel, Lech Poznan in the QF.

I'd put West Ham as favourite if they weren't so busy to fight to not relegate so I believe there will be an absolute surprise in the final
It's kinda nostalgic how there are a few clubs there that were once pretty successful, but it's a very Conference League list by today's standards. (No giants hidden away like in the Europa League.) It's fun though, all of these teams must be fancying their chances now.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
AZ kicked out Lazio. I know it's just the Conference League and few on here care about either club, but it's pretty spectacular from a Dutch point of view. And that in the same week when AZ's youth team reach the semifinals of the Youth League (apparently kinda like a CL for the top youth teams) by beating Real Madrid 4-0. It's a good week in Alkmaar!

@BenitoSTARR, weren't you an AZ fan or am I confusing you with someone else now?
Yeah and it’s a fantastic achievement so far considered the lack of resources financially and that we’re still competing in the league (don’t think we’ll win it but to be closer than ever is still great)

The youth team has been terrific too the last 3 games in the UEFA Youth League:

Play offs: 5-0 Eintracht Frankfurt
R16: 3-0 Barcelona
Quarters: 4-0 Real Madrid

So 12 goals in 3 games without anyone scoring against is really really encouraging.

BorisManUtd

Don't care about most of those teams but guess Fiorentina winning it would be nice to see, like them for some reason.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Yeah and it’s a fantastic achievement so far considered the lack of resources financially and that we’re still competing in the league (don’t think we’ll win it but to be closer than ever is still great)

The youth team has been terrific too the last 3 games in the UEFA Youth League:

Play offs: 5-0 Eintracht Frankfurt
R16: 3-0 Barcelona
Quarters: 4-0 Real Madrid

So 12 goals in 3 games without anyone scoring against is really really encouraging.
Absolutely, amazing stuff. And given how AZ have been performing so far, I'd say you have as good a chance as any of the remaining teams to wint it.

How do you like Pascal Jansen btw? I always feel like he must be a great coach, the way he took over from Slot and has had you performing this season - but he's never talked about as one of the strong coaches of the Eredivisie, and I wonder why that is.

Last edited:

Markolan

Supports
AC Milan
UECL QF:

Lech Poznan v Fiorentina
Gent v West Ham United
Anderlecht v AZ Alkmaar
Basel v Nice

SF:
Lech Poznan/Fiorentina v Basel/Nice
Gent/WHU v Anderlecht/AZ Alkmaar

Good draw overall for West Ham.. I can see them in the final, Fiorentina the favourite in the other side imho

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Fiorentina to win it please.

Pintu

I am hoping for a final between Basel and AZ Alkmaar. But it’s unlikely.

Fully expecting Fiorentina and Nice to make the semifinal and give it their all. Both have nothing to play for in their leagues.

A bit tricky for West Ham, easy draw, but as we saw with Lazio & Villareal, the winner of the other quarter might just knock them out if they aren’t in it 100%..

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I am hoping for a final between Basel and AZ Alkmaar. But it’s unlikely.

Fully expecting Fiorentina and Nice to make the semifinal and give it their all. Both have nothing to play for in their leagues.

A bit tricky for West Ham, easy draw, but as we saw with Lazio & Villareal, the winner of the other quarter might just knock them out if they aren’t in it 100%..
Yeah, I'm thinking Fiorentina-Nice and WHU-AZ would be the unsurprising semifinals, but you never know of course. Everything is open between those four teams though, I couldn't pick a favorite between with the season they're all having. (WHU aren't on the level they were last year.)

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Absolutely, amazing stuff. And give how AZ have been performing so far, I'd say you have as good a chance as any of the remaining teams to wint it.

How do you like Pascal Jansen btw? I always feel like he must be a great coach, the way he took over from Slot and has had you performing this season - but he's never talked about as one of the strong coaches of the Eredivisie, and I wonder why that is.
Not so sure about winning it but I’ll take the compliment!

I think he’s one of the best coaches we’ve had and severely underrated. Baring in mind he lost key players early on in his tenure he’s instilled a good play style and got players playing above their level in my opinion.

I think AZ have always been in the shadows at least in the rest of Europe compared to Ajax, PSV and Feyenoord which probably has worked in our favour here as if I’m being brutally honest Jansen is too good to stay and I’m surprised he didn’t get a shot at the Ajax job or maybe a move to the PL at some point.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Not so sure about winning it but I’ll take the compliment!

I think he’s one of the best coaches we’ve had and severely underrated. Baring in mind he lost key players early on in his tenure he’s instilled a good play style and got players playing above their level in my opinion.

I think AZ have always been in the shadows at least in the rest of Europe compared to Ajax, PSV and Feyenoord which probably has worked in our favour here as if I’m being brutally honest Jansen is too good to stay and I’m surprised he didn’t get a shot at the Ajax job or maybe a move to the PL at some point.
Thanks. Enjoy it while it lasts I guess!

Multatuli

Supports
Az
As an AZ fan, I can say that was an exceptional good week :)
Especially the youth team beating Barca and Real Madrid and getting into the semi finals, is very special for a small club like AZ.

In the conference league anything can happen, but Fiorentina and WHU are still the favorites to win it.

RedRocket9908

Big win for West Ham tonight, they look good for progression to the final now.

I cant believe Basel won away against Fiorentina as well.

Pintu

Likely final against Basel. Very well set up for West Ham to win this trophy now.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Big win for West Ham tonight, they look good for progression to the final now.

I cant believe Basel won away against Fiorentina as well.
Likely final against Basel. Very well set up for West Ham to win this trophy now.
Didn't they only win 2-1? And the summary I read indicated that AZ was mostly their equal. So all left to play for, no?

Markolan

Supports
AC Milan
If I rememeber correctly the two best AZ Alkmaar players (Karlsson and Kerkez) were out tonight and will be available for the 2nd leg at home so the qualification is still quite even imho (I'd say 55:45 West Ham)

Same for Basel and Fiorentina. Despite the loss, La Viola are much better away from home and already scored 4 past Sivassport, Braga and Poznan earlier in the KO stage so also in this case I'd say 55:45 Basel but both ties are still uncertain.

DJBillRemfry

Supports
West Ham United
Didn't they only win 2-1? And the summary I read indicated that AZ was mostly their equal. So all left to play for, no?
West Ham conceded a very soft goal from a decent 25 yard shot - bad goalkeeping - and didn't make the most of their chances.

xG was consistent with a 3-0.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Managed to turn it around... West Ham in the semi-final barring a collapse the likes of which we've never seen

Would be nice if Moyes ended this season with a trophy for West Ham.
I know it’s a smaller trophy but would be a very valuable addition to west ham and moyes resume.

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
AZ playing with West Ham but can't seem to pull the trigger.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
West ham through to the final.

What happened at the end? Sounds like the AZ fans looking for trouble

wangyu

So how was West Ham? I read a dutch football forum after the first game and they were not impressed with the poor level of football of the English. I personally thought West Ham played very well for,the 20 min I saw.