Europa Conference League

always_hoping

Would have made more sense to bring back the cup winners cup than this woeful creation

Ixion

I used to love the Cup Winners Cup. Conference is a terrible name for this though.

Bwuk

Good opportunity for Spurs to win it so they can qualify for the Europa league next season.

Nick7

It will be great for smaller clubs and awful for any big clubs that fall into it.

Dan_F

Wait, so UCL clubs drop into it? Or is that just from qualifying?

AshRK

I think many non english clubs will enjoy this tournament. The likes of Union Berlin and other clubs from eastern europe will try to win the competition. At the end of the day it is a European trophy. Presents a good opportunity for clubs to get hands on it.

Oranges038

184 teams.

As this stage they may as well just start an FA cup type tournament and let every top division team enter. Open draw, one off knock out ties, none of these multi tier loser still gets a chance competitions.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
I dont really like the aspect of descending to a lower European Cup during the season. The #3 of the CL shouldnt drop into the Europa League and the #3 of the EL shouldnt drop into the Conference League. When you start in a competition, thats your competition and that it.

This way it will remain harder still for clubs for whom the Conference League is actually meant (clubs from smaller countries) to actually win it, as its very likely more clubs from bigger countries will drop down after the groupstages.

stevoc

This is one of the stadiums apparently

That could solve the train line problem at Old Trafford just move the South Stand right back and have the train lines run along the side of the pitch.

Mr. Ant

I dont really like the aspect of descending to a lower European Cup during the season. The #3 of the CL shouldnt drop into the Europa League and the #3 of the EL shouldnt drop into the Conference League. When you start in a competition, thats your competition and that it.

This way it will remain harder still for clubs for whom the Conference League is actually meant (clubs from smaller countries) to actually win it, as its very likely more clubs from bigger countries will drop down after the groupstages.
Well from the next season clubs that will finish third in the group will play a playoff match against each other because only half of them will actually get to play in the lower competition.

crossy1686

career ending
Why don't they just introduce a wage cap on these shit competitions? United shouldn't be playing in an EL final and Tottenham shouldn't be playing in an Europa Conference. It devalues the whole competition.

Paul_Scholes18

I have little idea how this will work.

I assume you got qualifier liked it used to be for Europa league. Then group stage and then playoff?

How is Europa league working though with this new version?

Can teams move from CL to Europa league or Conference league? Does Conference and EL winner get CL spot?

Bertie Wooster

Why don't they just introduce a wage cap on these shit competitions? United shouldn't be playing in an EL final and Tottenham shouldn't be playing in an Europa Conference. It devalues the whole competition.
I can United why you say United being in the EL this season devalues it, while we started out in the CL - as there's an argument teams shouldn't drop down and have two bites of the cherry.

But a lot of the furore about the SL was about how league positions should decide European qualifications and not entitlement. So if Spurs finish 7th, why shouldn't they be in the Europa Conference? And if a team like United, Liverpool, finish outside the top 4 for a season, why shouldn't they be in the Europa League? And how does some strong teams being in a competition, based on where they finished in their domestic league, 'devalue' it?

AshRK

I have little idea how this will work.

I assume you got qualifier liked it used to be for Europa league. Then group stage and then playoff?

How is Europa league working though with this new version?

Can teams move from CL to Europa league or Conference league? Does Conference and EL winner get CL spot?
Conference winner will get europa spot and europa winners will get CL spot. I think teams finishing 3rd in europa group stage will drop to Conference league but no CL team will drop to Conference as they will only drop to europa knock out stages.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
That could solve the train line problem at Old Trafford just move the South Stand right back and have the train lines run along the side of the pitch.
"and Fernandinho has just shoved Bruno into an oncoming train. No booking says the ref"

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Good competiton for smaller clubs to win a few more bucks, get more experience and they can even manage to face clubs like Arsenal.

crossy1686

career ending
I can United why you say United being in the EL this season devalues it, while we started out in the CL - as there's an argument teams shouldn't drop down and have two bites of the cherry.

But a lot of the furore about the SL was about how league positions should decide European qualifications and not entitlement. So if Spurs finish 7th, why shouldn't they be in the Europa Conference? And if a team like United, Liverpool, finish outside the top 4 for a season, why shouldn't they be in the Europa League? And how does some strong teams being in a competition, based on where they finished in their domestic league, 'devalue' it?
The European competitions are weighted in the favour of the big teams to win all the time, and the relative strength of the PL means that good teams end up in the shitty competitions, only to get knocked out in the semi's by a decent team that dropped out of the CL after the group stage. The days of minnows winning these competitions are gone.

I'd happily not watch United play on Thursday night ever again, even if we finished 5th and qualified for the EL. We should be banned from playing in it. Our wage cap is so big that the players we are fielding are clearly better than any team from Scandinavia or Eastern Europe, same applies for Spurs in whatever they're going to be doing next season. It would be much fairer to the competition if Leeds were given the place instead.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
It's an invitation is it not? If I were Spurs, I would politely decline.

Paul_Scholes18

Conference winner will get europa spot and europa winners will get CL spot. I think teams finishing 3rd in europa group stage will drop to Conference league but no CL team will drop to Conference as they will only drop to europa knock out stages.
Ok it makes sense I guess, but for a PL team getting to Conference must be a big blow. If no CL spot for them.

I feel the interest for Conference and Europa league might go down when there is less good sides in it.

arthurka

It’s nice, you will play in places like iceland and kirgikistan
Where wrong with Iceland? Pitches and infrastructure in Iceland is off decent standard.

Kane might win a European title with Spurs after all.

AshRK

Ok it makes sense I guess, but for a PL team getting to Conference must be a big blow. If no CL spot for them.

I feel the interest for Conference and Europa league might go down when there is less good sides in it.
I think PL teams will have little interest in being in Conference league, although I feel team like everton can make a name for themselves by being in that competition and winning it.

Other clubs from eastern europe or even from italy or france will enjoy the competition and try to win it. Ultimately it is a trophy and fans will have a good outing, which they may never have had if not for this tournament. I have seen many non PL clubs fans enjoy europa and will enjoy this Conference. Of course we as United fans don't want our club to be associated with europa let alone Conference league but I can't say same for clubs like union berlin for example.

Paul_Scholes18

I think PL teams will have little interest in being in Conference league, although I feel team like everton can make a name for themselves by being in that competition and winning it.

Other clubs from eastern europe or even from italy or france will enjoy the competition and try to win it. Ultimately it is a trophy and fans will have a good outing, which they may never have had if not for this tournament. I have seen many non PL clubs fans enjoy europa and will enjoy this Conference. Of course we as United fans don't want our club to be associated with europa let alone Conference league but I can't say same for clubs like union berlin for example.
I just feel it is too much football. Like 3 different levels is a lot to follow.

I do not think we need more football.

I think third place in CL not going to Europa league and increasing the numbers of teams in Europa could have been enough if they wanted to give more teams a chance.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
According to FM. Teams who finish second in the conference group and teams who fall into the conference from the Europa league will face each other. Top spot get a bye in the first knockout round. Same for the Europa

Bertie Wooster

The European competitions are weighted in the favour of the big teams to win all the time, and the relative strength of the PL means that good teams end up in the shitty competitions, only to get knocked out in the semi's by a decent team that dropped out of the CL after the group stage. The days of minnows winning these competitions are gone.

I'd happily not watch United play on Thursday night ever again, even if we finished 5th and qualified for the EL. We should be banned from playing in it. Our wage cap is so big that the players we are fielding are clearly better than any team from Scandinavia or Eastern Europe, same applies for Spurs in whatever they're going to be doing next season. It would be much fairer to the competition if Leeds were given the place instead.
I completely disagree with the bits in bold. It's like arguing big teams should be banned from domestic leagues and cups because it's 'unfair' that they win them a lot; big countries like Brazil, England, Germany, etc, should be banned from World Cups, Euros, Copa America, etc. USA and Mexico banned from the Gold Cup... Just because being big and successful is an 'unfair' advantage.

I can understand saying it's wrong for teams to drop down into a second competition in the same season; and maybe saying 'seeding' strong teams so they avoid each other is unfair. But saying that if a team is deemed 'too good' for a competition that they've qualified for then they shouldn't be allowed into it and a lower placed team deemed 'more suitable' should be given the place instead is ludicrous.

And it goes against the whole 'European spots should be earned on merit based on league positions' which is what everyone's been saying since the SL suggestion. If it's a 100% principle of football then, then it still applies now - just a couple of months later. Denying teams entrance to a European competition because they're 'too good' is no more acceptable than denying a small team who finish top 4 entrance into the CL because they're 'not good enough'. The latter would cause uproar. So should the former.

stevoc

If you introduce a maximum wage cap for the EL and then deny teams a place in that competition despite qualifying on sporting merit. Do you then think the CL should also have a minimum wage cap?

Because if you bring wage brackets into the qualifying criteria for European competitions that's where it could lead. If United have no place in the Europa because our wage bill is so big then what business does a team from Eastern Europe or Scandanavia with a relatively tiny wage bill have competing against United, City, Real or Barca in the Champions League?

Bullhitter

Supports
Chelsea
I completely disagree with the bits in bold. It's like arguing big teams should be banned from domestic leagues and cups because it's 'unfair' that they win them a lot; big countries like Brazil, England, Germany, etc, should be banned from World Cups, Euros, Copa America, etc. USA and Mexico banned from the Gold Cup... Just because being big and successful is an 'unfair' advantage.

I can understand saying it's wrong for teams to drop down into a second competition in the same season; and maybe saying 'seeding' strong teams so they avoid each other is unfair. But saying that if a team is deemed 'too good' for a competition that they've qualified for then they shouldn't be allowed into it and a lower placed team deemed 'more suitable' should be given the place instead is ludicrous.

And it goes against the whole 'European spots should be earned on merit based on league positions' which is what everyone's been saying since the SL suggestion. If it's a 100% principle of football then, then it still applies now - just a couple of months later. Denying teams entrance to a European competition because they're 'too good' is no more acceptable than denying a small team who finish top 4 entrance into the CL because they're 'not good enough'. The latter would cause uproar. So should the former.
You are spot on.

It's mostly fans of elite level sides complaining about this which is hilarious as it's not intended for them or their clubs and 99% of the time will be totally irrelevant to them. Not everything has to be about you and you don't have to have an opinion on everything from your tunneled and privileged perspective.

Same as people moaning about the already packed schedule, well it's not going to add more games to a Real Madrid or a Bayern Munich, it's a totally moot point.