Europa Cup Tie on Wednesday

NFM

Noted that Spurs played their second leg tie tonight. Perhaps naively I thought Tues and Wed was reserved for CL matches and EC ties had to be played on Thurs.
If Spurs can do this why not United? Wed matches will be preferable for timetabling, recovery periods etc. Does anyone know if this has been investigated?

Handré1990

It will never happen, because the fat cats would be scared of losing out on viewers and such by having them on the same day. More gamedays means more money (in a normal world I suppose).

Bertie Wooster

Noted that Spurs played their second leg tie tonight. Perhaps naively I thought Tues and Wed was reserved for CL matches and EC ties had to be played on Thurs.
If Spurs can do this why not United? Wed matches will be preferable for timetabling, recovery periods etc. Does anyone know if this has been investigated?
It'll be because Arsenal have a home Europa tie in London tomorrow.

In the group stage, they can arrange it so teams from the same City play home and away on the same rounds. In the knockout stages, they sometimes have to move a match to a Wednesday if they're both drawn to play their home leg on the same day.

Wayne's World

It'll be because Arsenal have a home Europa tie in London tomorrow.

In the group stage, they can arrange it so teams from the same City play home and away on the same rounds. In the knockout stages, they sometimes have to move a match to a Wednesday.
Arsenal aren't at home tomorrow though, the game is being played in Athens

stevoc

It was moved because of a potential scheduling conflict with Arsenal who were due to play at home tomorrow in London.

Bertie Wooster

Arsenal aren't at home tomorrow though, the game is being played in Athens
Ah, I hadn't realised they'd moved both legs of that Arsenal game.

I imagine it's still the same reason though - that, initially, there were meant to be two games in London on the same Thursday.

EDIT: I've just googled it and that does seem to be the reason given for Tottenham playing on a Wednesday.

redrobed

It’s one rule for everyone else and another for us. They’d make us play on back to back days while giving everyone else a week’s rest if they could get away with it

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39043662

el3mel

It’s one rule for everyone else and another for us. They’d make us play on back to back days while giving everyone else a week’s rest if they could get away with it
Not to that degree. :lol: