Europa League 20/21

Paul_Scholes18

Molde did win the group last time we (I'm from Molde) were in the EL (with Ole in charge), in front of Ajax, Fenerbache and Celtic. 11 points. Lost to Sevilla on goal difference in the knock out stages.

This time: 10 points and 2nd place, vs Arsenals B-team, Rapid Wien and mighty Dundalk.
I did not know they won the group back then too. Impressive.
I guess he did a better job with them than us for sure.

Uniquim

Here are the unseeded teams that United can be drawn against:

Young Boys (SUI)
Molde (NOR)
Slavia Prague (CZE)
Benfica (POR)
Granada (ESP)
Real Sociedad (ESP)
Braga (POR)
LOSC Lille (FRA)
Maccabi Tel Aviv (ISR)
Royal Antwerp (BEL)
Wolfsberger AC (AUT)
Red Star Belgrade (SRB)

From UCL:
Krasnodar (RUS)
Red Bull Salzburg (AUT)
Dynamo Kyiv (UKR)
Olympiakos (GRE)

I think Real Sociedad, Benfica & Lille would be the hardest teams to meet, and Wolfsberger, Antwerpen and maybe Molde the easiest ones.

Paul_Scholes18

Here are the unseeded teams that United may be up against:

Young Boys (SUI)
Molde (NOR)
Slavia Prague (CZE)
Benfica (POR)
Granada (ESP)
Real Sociedad (ESP)
Braga (POR)
LOSC Lille (FRA)
Maccabi Tel Aviv (ISR)
Royal Antwerp (BEL)
Wolfsberger AC (AUT)
Red Star Belgrade (SRB)

From UCL:
Krasnodar (RUS)
Red Bull Salzburg (AUT)
Dynamo Kyiv (UKR)
Olympiakos (GRE)

I think Real Sociedad, Benfica & Lille would be the hardest teams to meet, and Wolfsberger, Antwerpen and maybe Molde the easiest ones.
Real Sociedad the worst. The rest I think we should be massive favorites to win. I take Molde first and then maybe red star.

Or rich owners in any other way behind the sucess?
Some of the success is thanks to a rich local guy -Røkke (same guy bought Wimbledon when they were in the PL, only to ruin the club..). But we still only have half the budget of Rosenborg. Just as important is what Ole brought back home from what he learned in Manchester. It professionalized the whole organization of Molde FK, and we won our first and second title in our 100 year history in Oles first two years. We've also been lucky and good with some young signings, that we have developed and made a lot on money from (like Haaland).

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Lo Celso was MoTM for Spurs tonight.

It's going to be a good competition inside Spurs as to who starts - Hojbjerg aside - in CM and AM this season in the Prem.

always_hoping

[/QUOTE]

Young Boys (SUI)
Molde (NOR)
Slavia Prague (CZE)
Benfica (POR)
Granada (ESP)
Real Sociedad (ESP)
Braga (POR)
LOSC Lille (FRA)
Maccabi Tel Aviv (ISR)
Royal Antwerp (BEL)
Wolfsberger AC (AUT)
Red Star Belgrade (SRB)

From UCL:
Krasnodar (RUS)
Red Bull Salzburg (AUT)
Dynamo Kyiv (UKR)
Olympiakos (GRE)

Avoiding a long flight = a good draw.

Raredaredevil

I fancy us to beat any of the teams in the next round whether its unseeded or not. Maybe RB Salzburg would give us a good game but we have enough quality to beat them. I don't think we would win the EL though with an inept manager like Ole.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I hope you draw Wolfsberger so the caf can see the pub team that eliminated us tonight.

Giggsyking

Young Boys (SUI)
Molde (NOR)
Slavia Prague (CZE)
Benfica (POR)
Granada (ESP)
Real Sociedad (ESP)
Braga (POR)
LOSC Lille (FRA)
Maccabi Tel Aviv (ISR)
Royal Antwerp (BEL)
Wolfsberger AC (AUT)
Red Star Belgrade (SRB)

From UCL:
Krasnodar (RUS)
Red Bull Salzburg (AUT)
Dynamo Kyiv (UKR)
Olympiakos (GRE)

I hope we get Molde, so when we play them there we dump Ole there and make sure he does not come back.

always_hoping

Round of 32

The first legs will be played on 18 February, and the second legs will be played on 25 February 2021.

Premier league games that will be moved to Sunday.

Newcastle (H) Chelsea (A)

Footy van de Geek

Arsenal's U23 players have been doing very well for them in this the past few seasons.

Arteta should give them a try at PL level.

ti vu

Very few easy pick from this lot then. Either picking up a decent opposition or a long trip during winter, and busy schedule. Just what I initially feared when we got eliminated from CL.

Member 120012

play a weakened team or in reality play the second half like the first and we will be out in the next round . Forget about europa league we will get to the semi's again after a hard slog on a Thursday night to be beaten in the first 15 mins but a tottenham ish team. So won't be watching not interested, one bit.

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
I really hope you draw my hometown team!

Would be so great to see my two favourite teams go up against each other. We beat Spurs at home, so it might be somewhat competitive too :)

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Round of 32

The first legs will be played on 18 February, and the second legs will be played on 25 February 2021.

Premier league games that will be moved to Sunday.

Newcastle (H) Chelsea (A)

Seeded teams
AC Milan (ITA)
Arsenal (ENG)
Ajax (NED*)
Club Brugge (BEL*)
Dinamo Zagreb (CRO)
Hoffenheim (GER)
Leicester (ENG)
Leverkusen (GER)
Manchester United (ENG*)
Napoli (ITA)
PSV Eindhoven (NED)
Rangers (SCO)
Roma (ITA)
Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR*)
Tottenham (ENG)
Villarreal (ESP)

Unseeded teams
Antwerp (BEL)
Benfica (POR)
Braga (POR)
Crvena zvezda (SRB)
Dynamo Kyiv (UKR)*
Granada (ESP)
Krasnodar (RUS)*
LOSC Lille (FRA)
Maccabi Tel-Aviv (ISR)
Molde (NOR)
Olympiacos (GRE)*
Real Sociedad (ESP)
Salzburg (AUT)*

Slavia Praha (CZE)
Wolfsberg (AUT)
Young Boys (SUI)

Possible banana skins to avoid?

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Being drawn against Wolfsberger AC should allow Spurs to field a largely 2nd XI, so resting most of our first XI for the Prem.

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
Being drawn against Wolfsberger AC should allow Spurs to field a largely 2nd XI, so resting most of our first XI for the Prem.
Surely you know Mourinho enough now that it will be a team that includes all of the key players, with some mild rotation at best.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Surely you know Mourinho enough now that it will be a team that includes all of the key players, with some mild rotation at best.
This was the starting line-up in our last Europa game, against the best opposition team in our group. It contained 1 (or arguably 2 at most) players from our our usual starting XI in league games:
  • Hart
  • Tanganga
  • Sánchez
  • Davies
  • Winks
  • Doherty
  • Lo Celso
  • Reguilón
  • Moura
  • Vinicius
  • Bale

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
This was the starting line-up in our last Europa game, against the best opposition team in our group. It contained 1 (or arguably 2 at most) players from our our usual starting XI in league games:
  • Hart
  • Tanganga
  • Sánchez
  • Davies
  • Winks
  • Doherty
  • Lo Celso
  • Reguilón
  • Moura
  • Vinicius
  • Bale
Are you kidding now? What has that to do with anything? Spurs already qualified, and even here the subs made sure Mourinho wanted to finish first. You were outplayed by LASK for most of the time in the 5th round, Mourinho won't rotate much against Wolfsberger, you can be sure of that. Maybe in the second leg after a clear victory.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Are you kidding now? What has that to do with anything? Spurs already qualified, and even here the subs made sure Mourinho wanted to finish first. You were outplayed by LASK for most of the time in the 5th round, Mourinho won't rotate much against Wolfsberger, you can be sure of that. Maybe in the second leg after a clear victory.
Already qualified, but needing a win to top the group and ensure a seeded draw.

But OK, if you don't want to accept the largely 2nd XI starting team from that match, then here's the starting XI from the prior Europa league game:

Hart, Doherty, Højbjerg, Sánchez, Son, Bale, Lo Celso, Tanganga, Moura, Ndombélé, Davies ... containing just 3 players from our usual starting XI in the league.

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
Already qualified, but needing a win to top the group and ensure a seeded draw.

But OK, if you don't want to accept the largely 2nd XI starting team from that match, then here's the starting XI from the prior Europa league game:

Hart, Doherty, Højbjerg, Sánchez, Son, Bale, Lo Celso, Tanganga, Moura, Ndombélé, Davies ... containing just 3 players from our usual starting XI in the league.
I accept it (wtf does this even mean in such context?), and I'm also claiming that Mourinho won't rotate much come the knockouts, other than maybe 3 or 4 positions where he safely feels the alternate is just as good. If anything, the given eleven only strenghtens my point, given you were largely outplayed by an Austrian team with a weaker starting side. Mourinho is not one to take risks in the knockouts.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
I accept it (wtf does this even mean in such context?), and I'm also claiming that Mourinho won't rotate much come the knockouts, other than maybe 3 or 4 positions where he safely feels the alternate is just as good. If anything, the given eleven only strenghtens my point, given you were largely outplayed by an Austrian team with a weaker starting side. Mourinho is not one to take risks in the knockouts.
I'm willing to bet that the starting XI in our next EL match will contain a majority - i.e. at least six (and probably more) - of 2nd XI players.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Bump.

Bruges playing without Rits, Vanaken and Noa Lang (and their manager) right now at Dinamo Kiev, big losses for them. Hopefully they can at least get a decent result and finish the tie off in the return leg, they should be better than Kiev right now.