Founded: 2009 (as Lokomotiv Astana)

Stadium: Astana Arena, Nur-Sultan
Capacity: 30,254
x
x
x

FK Partizan - Serbia
Founded: 1945
European honours: European Cup (CL) runners-up in 1965-66, losing 2-1 to Real Madrid. Beat Manchester United 2-1 on aggregate, over two legs in the semi-finals. (2-0 at home and 0-1 at Old Trafford, Nobby Stiles scoring the only goal).

Stadium: Partizan Stadium, Belgrade
Capacity: 32,710
x
x
x
x

AZ Alkmaar - Netherlands
Founded: 1967
European honours: UEFA Cup runners-up in 1980-81, losing 5-4 on aggregate against Ipswich Town over two legs, with Dutch midfielder Frans Thijssen scoring in both games for Ipswich en route to becoming the first Dutchman to be awarded English Footballer of the Year that season.

Stadium: AFAS Stadion
Capacity: 17,023
x
It's a foregone conclusion now. Takes an absurdity of miracles to qualify for the CL.

I dearly hope we do the unprecedented thing and field youngsters in the group stages. Leave the rest in Manchester preparing for league games so that the Thursday games won't kill all momentum.

We could line up with a team looking like this

---------------Henderson
Dalot------TFM-----Tuanzebe----Mitchell
-----McTominay--Garner---Fred
Chong---------------------------Gomes
--------------Greenwood

Then there's whatever deadwood that doesn't get sold and other youngsters like O'Connor.

Last edited:

Kostur

海尔的老板
I understand what you're preaching but it still won't make our starting XI less shit, they'll feck it up somehow with or without those fecking Thursdays.

Raw

:(

I'd leave Henderson on loan at Sheffield for another season now that they're promoted.

bondsname

The optimistic guy in me sees this as a great chance to give our young lads some European experience, also to see who could be implemented into the first team in the coming years. It also gives our first team some badly needed rest.

I hope we don't go all out for the Europa league, focusing on the league is a thousand times more important. Never cared about the Europa league and I never will.

Ryan7

Can't wait to play the likes of Carrier Bag, Torpedo Hurricane and Vidi Killed The Radio Star.

el3mel

Back to playing Celta Viga, Anderlecht and Ajax.....oh wait the latter is playing in CL semi final while we're back to EL. We're fecking shite.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
We're Manchester United. We play to win.

Except when it actually matters.

R'hllor

Already said regardless of our squad, those who are planned for PL should stay at home and not take a part at all in EL, not even on bench. For away games they shouldnt even travel.

Make it like we are not part of Europe comp next season.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Looks like we'll finish 6th so the qualifying starts early. Or maybe Arse can do us one more favour and we finish 5th provided we win our last two games.

Nero

Wish we could feck it off or at least play the kids. Shit competition. Forget all this nonsense about respecting the competition and how it's a trophy. It's shite. Bin the cnut off.

Problem is, manager's just don't do that. We will be playing full strength and it will inevitably cost us.

Jacko21

I hate the Europa League with a passion.

Top four was as much about avoiding this shitshow of a competition as it was qualifying for the Champions League.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
It's a foregone conclusion now. Takes an absurdity of miracles to qualify for the CL.

I dearly hope we do the unprecedented thing and field youngsters in the group stages. Leave the rest in Manchester preparing for league games so that the Thursday games won't kill all momentum.

We could line up with a team looking like this

---------------Henderson
Dalot------TFM-----Tuanzebe----Mitchell
-----McTominay--Garner---Fred
Chong---------------------------Gomes
--------------Greenwood

Then there's whatever deadwood that doesn't get sold and other youngsters like O'Connor.
Wouldn't get out of the group stage

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Well actually i am looking forward to this. Being top dog somewhere is better than be cannon meat for Barca, Juve or City on CL. And we can win EL.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Back to playing Celta Viga, Anderlecht and Ajax.....oh wait the latter is playing in CL semi final while we're back to EL. We're fecking shite.
Daley Blind killing it while we have Bailly and Rojo doing their level best to get sent off when they're not injured. Phil Jones injured again after signing a fat new contract and Chris Smalling being Chris Smalling.

Charles Miller

I would not do that because the chances to get Champions League via EL is bigger than in the Premier League.

OohAahMartial

I know we usually try to win every competition because we are Man Utd, but we so critically need to train and coach this team into actually being a team that I would field the U23 side in all other competitions, and let the first team squad just focus on the league and gelling, gaining an identity. The year after we can focus on trophies.

Nero

How has a club of our stature fallen to this? (rhetorical). 3 out of 6 years playing Europa League football. Imagine Madrid/Barca/Bayern/Juve pissing about in this.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Every time an English side goes into the Europa, fans always want this sort of thing to happen (play the kids) and it never, ever happens. Even less chance now that you can get in the Champions League.

Pogba and a couple of others might get a rest, that's it.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
Like it or not, it's still Europe which could make a difference in the transfer market.

R'hllor

Every time an English side goes into the Europa, fans always want this sort of thing to happen (play the kids) and it never, ever happens. Even less chance now that you can get in the Champions League.

Pogba and a couple of others might get a rest, that's it.
I could swear Arsenal done something similar one season.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
And so what? We need concentrate on the EPL only. Europa league is shit competition. Let kids play.
Last time we were in it we needed to win it to get into CL.

Yeah but pointless.

Roboc7

Play the kids and reserves, away from home in the group stages i’d leave whole of starting eleven for weekend at home. Ole cant afford to drop points in league.

Even at full strength we’d struggle to win it, we were lucky with Jose and he was prioritising it.

caid

I was always preaching to take this competition seriously. But now we've won it I really dont give a feck. Play our reserves / youth team, if they get us through to the later rounds then start throwing some more senior players in.

Paul_Scholes18

Let's go for it. It is our best chance to both win a title and also qualify for the champions league!

For the guys that wants to 100% focus on the league I do wonder if you think we will really challenge for the league next season?

Paul_Scholes18

Last time we were in it we needed to win it to get into CL.

Yeah but pointless.
Champions league is also pointless according to most people here. Only thing that really matters is to stop Liverpool from getting PL titles ;).

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Looks like we'll finish 6th so the qualifying starts early. Or maybe Arse can do us one more favour and we finish 5th provided we win our last two games.
Good, less time for commercial activities over the summer. At this rate pissing off the sponsors is the only way Woodward gets the boot.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We may need to win it next season so let’s respect it a bit.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Won't that be 7th if Man. City win the cup?

I remember last year Burnley had to start in late July and have three rounds just to get into the normal competition.