Europa League 2019/20

Multatuli

Supports
Az
They do have a quality attack in Alkmaar. Stengs and Boadu are expected to make their first appearance for the Netherlands somewhere this season, both very young, but promising. The rest of the team isn't very familiar to me..
Stengs and Boadu are young talents. They both have returned from long time injuries, so they are very inexperienced.

You should probably know Ron Vlaar, former Astin Villa and 3rd place world cup player from the Netherlands.

We do have dome other quality players, but overall our team is young and inexperienced.

Last edited:

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Some nice games to give the youngsters a chance.

Play the strongest team away vs AZ and Partizan. Play the youngsters with a few senior players for the rest.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
I agree and even ahead of Malen in my opinion. Both very talented though!
First of welcome to the forum! Second off I am excited for the gamed against PSV they should be fun! and lastly I hope we win;)

Sporting and PSV should get first and second place in our group.

SportingCP96

Supports
Stengs and Boadu are young talents. They both have returned from long time injuries, so they are very inexperienced.

You should probably know Ron Vlaar, former Astin Villa and 3rd place world cup player from the Netherlands.

We do have dome other quality players, but overall our team is young and inexperienced.
Welcome to the forum!

I see we are getting a lot of new dutch members now:drool:

Eternitiy

Let's treat this competition with respect; it's our best chance of getting Champions League football next year.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
It is too late, Lazio signed Pavlovic before 5 days ago. Great prospect, maybe new Vidic.
Don't rub it in! Just joking, @Hound Dog already said. I should have realised myself, as I watched a "welcome to Lazio" video on Youtube (but in fairness, there was a "welcome to Benfica" too).

Dream scenario is we partner up with Partizan or a similar sort of club, like we did with Antwerp back in the day.

dabeast

I feel bad that Pogba has to play against this shower.

Winning the EL one time maybe a quirky achievement to talk about after retirement. To win it twice makes me worry we have become Sevilla.

In Rainbows

Let's treat this competition with respect; it's our best chance of getting Champions League football next year.
Sure, but we should still include youngsters in for the group stage. If we're rebuilding then we need to start off on the right foot and that means replacing more expensive squad players with home grown talents. This season is a right off, and the future should take priority.

Obviously, as you stated, Champions League is one of those important goals needed to properly rebuild and taking it seriously is dependent on the competition we're up against. We don't need the full starting XI to take this seriously. We should incorporate our best talents in Gomes, Greenwood, Tuanzebe, and Garner.

Eendracht maakt macht

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
PSV Eindhoven
First of welcome to the forum! Second off I am excited for the gamed against PSV they should be fun! and lastly I hope we win;)

Sporting and PSV should get first and second place in our group.
Thanks! I agree we should be first and second. I will be visiting Lisboa with PSV for 4 days so if you got any advice where to go please tell me! Wil there be a lot of Sporting fans in Eindhoven?

SportingCP96

Supports
Thanks! I agree we should be first and second. I will be visiting Lisboa with PSV for 4 days so if you got any advice where to go please tell me! Wil there be a lot of Sporting fans in Eindhoven?
I would assume so considering it is a rather short trip! Should be a good atmosphere in both games.

As for where to go I recommend going to Belem in Lisbon. They have the best custard cups you will ever have I highly recommend it! There is also pink street to look at (if you bringing a mrs. she would like it). You can also do a stadium and museum tour at Sporting for not a lot of money.

I would love to go to Eindhoven but sadly I can not.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
It may only be four games into the season but I'm putting everything on the Europa League now. Its my only hope that anything good will come out of this season.

Roboc7

We’re already struggling without distraction of Europa. Have no idea how Ole is going to be able to manage the squad and don’t see this group being easy.

Opposition's latest results

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Alkmaar
They have lost 2-1 at Vitesse today.

On the 7th place with 7 points (2/1/1).

Partizan
1-1 at home against league leader FK TSC Backa Topola.

On the 6th place with 11 points (3/2/0)....but they played two game less than the league leader (17 points).

Astana
They had no game this weekend because of their Europa League match.

Currently on the 4th place.....they are 5 points behind league leader Tobol Kostanay but they have played two games more than Astana.
Kazakhstan Premier League have 12 clubs and they are currently on Matchday 25 (Like said Astana have played 23 games) so eight more matchdays

Last edited:

Luke1995

Hope Greenwood plays all games. Perfect competition for him to gain european experience.

Not sure what to expect of the group. We could absolutely blow them away or struggle badly in some of these games.

stubie

We’re already struggling without distraction of Europa. Have no idea how Ole is going to be able to manage the squad and don’t see this group being easy.
May as well go all out and win the Europa again, league is already finished for this season in terms of what we wanted to achieve (fans target)

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I feel bad that Pogba has to play against this shower.

Winning the EL one time maybe a quirky achievement to talk about after retirement. To win it twice makes me worry we have become Sevilla.
Wtf, you should feel bad about United playing against this shower period.

dabeast

Wtf, you should feel bad about United playing against this shower period.
I do, I do. However, since the likes of Lingard, Shaw (of late), Matic (now), Pereira, Lindelof, Young are EL-level players, it is hard to feel sorry for them.

dabeast

Our level should be judged against Barca in last year's QF. With the exception of Pogba, Rashford, McTominay, maybe Martial, the rest looked a million miles away (Actually, they looked as far as Astana is from Old Trafford).

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
3.50pm! that's going to be a killer missing it at work :mad:

Lyricist

To sell all 3 is madness though, they shouldn't have let all 3 go.
They did get Trapp, and Rode to join them permanently though. Additionally they got Kamada back who has looked really good, as well as Dost, and Andre Silva in.

In theory I'm sure Frankfurt wanted to keep all 3. But Jovic had the opportunity to join Real, Haller wanted to move to the PL, and I guess Rebic didn't want to be the only skilled attacker left, so he too pushed for a move. :P Not sure what the overall intention was for the 3 players, but all 3 wanted to leave, and Frankfurt decided to cash in on all of them, now that they're at a high selling value.
Frankfurt's main feature was their physical dominance on the pitch from front to back, together with never fannying around anywhere on the pitch. They kept that intact everywhere aside of in attack. It definitely remains to be seen if they can reach the heights of last season again and if their new strikers can produce the same numbers. It'll be difficult to match, that's for sure.

Gator Nate

You know, I would feel sorry for United having to travel 3715 miles one way for that (one) match, but...

Here are just five of Orlando City's regular season matches this year (distance is driving from our stadium to theirs; of course, they fly everywhere)

Seattle Sounders - 3074 miles
Portland Timbers - 3034 miles
San Jose Earthquakes - 2848 miles
Real Salt Lake - 2316 miles
Minnesota United - 1524 miles

Similar issues exist for most MLS teams, because most of them are on one side of the country or the other.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
To sell all 3 is madness though, they shouldn't have let all 3 go.
First of all their sporting director Bobic is fantastic.

Like @Lyricist has said they wanted to keep all three players but
1) Frankfurt aren't in the position that they can turn down 40m offers for their players.
2) Jovic joined feckin Real Madrid.
3) West Ham's offer for both Frankfurt and Haller was just too good.
4) Rebic was a cancer in Frankfurt's dressing room in the last weeks (Highlight was his crazy awful performance in their away game at Strasbourg and in the 2nd leg a red card).

Luke1995

Honestly anything less than the full 18 points available is failure. We should run through them.

TRUERED89

But Kazakhstan is greatest country in the world. All the other countries are run by little girls.
Ha ha that may be true, just not great for the team to go on such a long trip then have to play a crucial PL match a few days later!

Btw are you from there !?

ThinkTank@Cafe

It’s 8 hours flight to London from Astana. Add an hour if you fly from Almaty. I often go to Europe, so I’m used to it. The guys will fly a private jet, it is much better experience than business class. On one hand, the team will have 17 hours for relaxing and team bonding; on the other - it’s pretty annoying to lose 2 days of life in limited space. I would send kids and make a break for the senior team.

I am from Kazakhstan. And, yes, I know who is Borat. He is our national hero. The first Kazakh man to see Pam’s tits live!

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It’s 8 hours flight to London from Astana. Add an hour if you fly from Almaty. I often go to Europe, so I’m used to it. The guys will fly a private jet, it is much better experience than business class. On one hand, the team will have 17 hours for relaxing and team bonding; on the other - it’s pretty annoying to lose 2 days of life in limited space. I would send kids and make a break for the senior team.

I am from Kazakhstan. And, yes, I know who is Borat. He is our national hero. The first Kazakh man to see Pam’s tits live!
Brilliant :lol: Welcome.

Kajus

Ha ha that may be true, just not great for the team to go on such a long trip then have to play a crucial PL match a few days later!

Btw are you from there !?
Kazakhstan number one exporter of potassium. All other countries have inferior potassium.