Europa League 2019/20

rotherham_red

But surely it's more beneficial to us if we built a team that can finish in the top 4, instead of cheesing through shite teams to get in while in 6th place?

I get how important it is but if we're having to rely on EL to get CL football again then I'll be disappointed. With the level of competition I understand the importance but with Chelsea possibly losing Hazard + having a transfer ban and Arsenal not spending the big bucks to reinforce their squad, we should really be finishing above them as long as we spend smartly this summer.
I think we'll easily get top 4 irrespective of EL.

Like you said, I don't see Arsenal strengthening to the required degree, and Chelsea have their transfer ban. The only reason we didn't get top 4 this season was the Jose-induced handicap we had. 26 points from a possible 51 was a pitiful return. We also saw enough from Ole's start to show that he has enough about him in getting his teams to play fast, expressive, and expansive football and that is one which is easily a cut above the rest of the top 6 not named City and Liverpool.

We will also be strengthening the squad to a considerable degree this summer, while the likes of Spurs, Chelsea and Arsenal won't (for a variety of reasons). Next season will all be about consolidation. Get top 4, and win the EL as well as doing well in the domestic cups (if we can get a Mickey Mouse Treble, then even better). From that point on, Ole will be able to ramp up the expenditure and ship out more of the deadwood.

DanWWFC

Supports
Wolves
Here you go.

https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/news/newsid=2589463.html

The 6th/7th placed team starts in the second round of qualifiers.
Draw dates aren't announced yet but judging from this season's Europa League:

1st/2nd qualifying round: 19-20 June, games played on 12-19 June/26 July - 2 August
3rd qualifying round: 23 July, games played on 9-16 August
Playoff round: 6 August, games played on 23-30 August
Groups: 31 August

If City win the cup and you finish 7th, you'll be in the 2nd qualifying round.

For United: Finishing 5th would put us into the group stage. Finishing 6th would put us into the 2nd qualifying round, however if City win the FA Cup then we'll go into the groups and 7th will go to the qualifiers. If Watford win the cup, we'll be in the qualifying round.

Edit: Actually I just found all the dates for next season here: https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/news/newsid=2589463.html
Thank the both of you, you’ve been great help. Guess the holiday plans with the girlfriend will be focused around Wolves

If we are in it we should aim to win. I think it's a bit weak down talking Europa League. It'll help Solskjær evolve as a manager. I think the Champions League would be a bit too much for his first full season so I think it's a perfect stage for us to grow at the moment. Our team isn't really Champions League worthy and I don't think 3-4 signings and some deadwood removed is going to change that.

rotherham_red

Something to bear in mind for everyone complaining about Europa and turning their noses up at the prospect of us getting there: the winners of the Europa League are seeded in Pot 1 with the national league winners and CL winners. The best we can hope for in the league next season is most likely 4th, or 3rd if we get some consistency. Meaning Pot 4 or Pot 3.

That is as good a reason as any for us to go for it in the EL next season. Play a mixture of the kids and squad players in the group stages. If we get a favourable draw in the R32, keep them in - and then bring in the main players for the R16 onwards. That is how it should be done - ensuring a good balance between League and EL focus.

TheRedHearted

You mean EL. Assuming they also finished 4th.

Nothing. Only top 4 will get CL spots.
Yes that’s what I meant- my mistake.
Then isn’t there a spot missing in the competition? The spot allotted for the top four and the spot allotted for the EL winner?

Because both scenarios have different amount of Teams in the competition- how does the Europa League deal with that?

el3mel

Yes that’s what I meant- my mistake.
Then isn’t there a spot missing in the competition? The spot allotted for the top four and the spot allotted for the EL winner?

Because both scenarios have different amount of Teams in the competition
EL winners get the spot when they themselves are out of top 4. Same for winning CL. If you win either competition and you're out of top 4 you get an additional spot for your own.

But if you finish in top 4 it doesn't matter if you win it or not. There'll be no additional spots for anyone.

lsd

The Oracle
How many posters have said we should play our kids in it yet ?

Let's be honest the Europa League is probably our best chance of qualifying for the Champions League so we should go all out in it like we did under Jose

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I like the idea but it'll be the same shit as last time where winning the pissing thing is our best shot at getting back into the CL.

Raven

We should be looking to play the more talents youth and squad players. Nothing more. Good competition, but league is more important, even if the aim is just too 4.

Giggsyking

It is a fecking disgrace to a football club in the size, the prestige and the stature of Manchester united to even field first team players in this shite competition. We should do nothing but to play our squad and bench players in this competition.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
I think we'll easily get top 4 irrespective of EL.

Like you said, I don't see Arsenal strengthening to the required degree, and Chelsea have their transfer ban. The only reason we didn't get top 4 this season was the Jose-induced handicap we had. 26 points from a possible 51 was a pitiful return. We also saw enough from Ole's start to show that he has enough about him in getting his teams to play fast, expressive, and expansive football and that is one which is easily a cut above the rest of the top 6 not named City and Liverpool.

We will also be strengthening the squad to a considerable degree this summer, while the likes of Spurs, Chelsea and Arsenal won't (for a variety of reasons). Next season will all be about consolidation. Get top 4, and win the EL as well as doing well in the domestic cups (if we can get a Mickey Mouse Treble, then even better). From that point on, Ole will be able to ramp up the expenditure and ship out more of the deadwood.
After the last few years I just don't know how our fans can still be this arrogant.

In the last 5 years we have been out of the top 4 more times than we have been it. Finished ahead of Arsenal just once. Arsenal just swatted us away just a few weeks ago.

The top 2 are far ahead of the pack. Spurs are an established top 4 side.

It'll be a fight next season. With us being right in the thick of it.

Mike Oxard

Supports
City
The Europa League is the perfect platform for our rebuild. I really enjoyed it the last time we were in it and went all the way. I'd much prefer to concentrate on competitions that we have a chance of winning. The Europa League and the Carabou Cup should be our target next year as we start the long(ish) road back to contending for the top competitions. Getting over stressed about a top 4 position is counter productive. If we are out of the Champions League for a few years, it will be worth it if we are creating a new team of winners in the meantime. I know it will damage our sponsorship prospects and may well rob us of some of our global support, but to be honest, I won't be losing sleep over that. A fixture against Metalist Kharkiv isn't quite the same as playing Barca, but lets take sensible steps, have achievable goals, make winning a habit again and in three or four seasons, we'll be back in the Champions League and be able to make a meaningful challenge for the league.

StrettyEnder07

Million miles away from winning the UCL and I'm not one of those fans who takes top 4 and "oh look were in the competition, we get to play Barca/Madrid etc.", want to be winning or fighting to win these competitions not just taking part in them, if a season in the Europa gives us a chance to give Chong/Gomes/Garner/Tuanzebe/TFM/Greenwood some serious first team action and experience, weather they get knocked out in the group or make it to the final, superb way of giving them minutes/game time and experience to make the step up full time.

Take that for a season over getting walloped again when we play the big boys. Also will be quite refreshing hopefully for Ole to go after young hungry players in the market who want to play for Man United and not just because UCL football can add an extra 50k to their wage, sick of watching overpaid fecking mercenaries taking the club for all its worth. Give me some young quality signings who want to fight for the shirt and love being part of Man United any day of the week.

Ether

Daily Mail said:
A number of Manchester City's rivals are hoping Pep Guardiola's men lift the FA Cup — to ensure their own pre-season preparations are not thrown into costly disarray.

City take on Watford at Wembley on May 18, and victory for the Hornets would secure them a Europa League spot, meaning whoever finishes sixth in the Premier League would enter the same competition at the second qualifying stage rather than go straight into the groups.

The first leg of the qualifier is on July 25 — when two of those sides who could finish sixth — Tottenham and Manchester United — are due to meet in Shanghai.

Of the other clubs in the mix, Arsenal are touring America, where they face Real Madrid at Washington DC's 82,000-capacity FedExField on July 23, and Chelsea go to Japan, where they are due to face Barcelona on the same date.

Should Spurs win the Champions League, they would have no issue.

That same is true for Chelsea, in fourth, and Arsenal, in fifth, should either win the Europa League.

United have an added complication. Their pitch is soon to be renovated and there are concerns it would not be ready if they finish sixth and are drawn to play the first leg of the qualifier at home. The club say they have contingency plans.
Come on City...:(

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
just blag our way out of the Europa league by saying our pitch is being worked on, I don't think many united fans would be bothered. :lol:

rotherham_red

After the last few years I just don't know how our fans can still be this arrogant.

In the last 5 years we have been out of the top 4 more times than we have been it. Finished ahead of Arsenal just once. Arsenal just swatted us away just a few weeks ago.

It's not necessarily arrogance but looking at it rationally. We gave the likes of Chelsea and Arsenal (and Spurs to a degree) a 5 month headstart this season and they still almost fecked it up. These sides are seriously no great shakes. Neither are we admittedly, but the fact that it's May and we still have a chance (however small it may be) in spite of everything shows you that we are definitely in the mix as the situation stands.

Then, when you consider that Chelsea won't be strengthening their squad (outside of their kids returning and Pulisic), Arsenal being Kroenke'd and Spurs having to rely on outgoings to supplement a transfer budget which will be minimal; and compare that to us having a likely £200m+ spend this summer and will likely be bringing in players who actually fit Ole's style and preference, we should hopefully see a marked improvement during the course of the season.

Of course, it may be a slow burner and it takes us the best part of the season to hit our stride, but I am confident that we'll eventually make it in to the top 4 relatively comfortably by the season's end.

GM K

A very, very down to earth and realistic post.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
It's not necessarily arrogance but looking at it rationally. We gave the likes of Chelsea and Arsenal (and Spurs to a degree) a 5 month headstart this season and they still almost fecked it up. These sides are seriously no great shakes. Neither are we admittedly, but the fact that it's May and we still have a chance (however small it may be) in spite of everything shows you that we are definitely in the mix as the situation stands.

Then, when you consider that Chelsea won't be strengthening their squad (outside of their kids returning and Pulisic), Arsenal being Kroenke'd and Spurs having to rely on outgoings to supplement a transfer budget which will be minimal; and compare that to us having a likely £200m+ spend this summer and will likely be bringing in players who actually fit Ole's style and preference, we should hopefully see a marked improvement during the course of the season.

Of course, it may be a slow burner and it takes us the best part of the season to hit our stride, but I am confident that we'll eventually make it in to the top 4 relatively comfortably by the season's end.
We are only back in it because we went on a title winning run for some point in the season. We are don't look anywhere like we could repeat that at the moment.

Yes. All those clubs have problems. But we probably have more. We might to buy a new midfield. An unproven manager. Our defense is shambles having conceded half a century of league goals. Our keeper can't seem to catch a ball. Woodward still in charge.

As much as we might lick our lips at the problems others face.. We are in dire straights ourselves.

R'hllor

We deserve to be in it but if Ole is smart enough, he should do things and pretend like we are not in Europe. Specially with our fitness, just use those who wont start next game in PL, dont even bring first XI on travels, let them train back home, dont have them on bench either.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
We deserve to be in it but if Ole is smart enough, he should do things and pretend like we are not in Europe. Specially with our fitness, just use those who wont start next game in PL, dont even bring first XI on travels, let them train back home, dont have them on bench either.
Yeah, it's a good competition to play young and fringe players.

GM K

I'm not saying it's all doom and gloom. But certainly we should respect those clubs around us.

The EL teams included.
I completely agree with you.

I don't get how we put our noses up at the Europa League when that is what we qualified to play in. The sheer arrogance of suggesting it is not worth the chase because we are Manchester United beats me. Yes, we are a great club with an incredible history, no one can deny that but I always teach my kids: 'win the race in front of you first and then you can take on the tougher race next'. I think that applies here. If Europa is what we qualify to play next season, I say we go for it with all we've got and win it. And when we do win it, let's not talk down on it like some were two seasons ago. What we need now is a strategic rebuild to get back to where the club belongs. But while we are at it, let's win whatever trophy is in front of us.

TheRedHearted

just blag our way out of the Europa league by saying our pitch is being worked on, I don't think many united fans would be bothered. :lol:
A chance for our squad to go up against European teams. And also considering everyone is claiming it’s such a garbage tournament, winning it should be terribly easy and would guarantee us a chance in the CL. So why not?

AJ10

If we're in it then we need to try and win it.

Simple as.

Dec9003

A chance for our squad to go up against European teams. And also considering everyone is claiming it’s such a garbage tournament, winning it should be terribly easy and would guarantee us a chance in the CL. So why not?
I agree with you, but I don't think many people could care less about it.
I'd use it as an opportunity to blood some of the youth, especially the smaller/thinner ones like Gomes and Chong.

dove

It is a fecking disgrace to a football club in the size, the prestige and the stature of Manchester united to even field first team players in this shite competition. We should do nothing but to play our squad and bench players in this competition.
:lol: This shit cup is our level, doesn't matter how big we are. Might as well try to win it and be the Real Madrid of EL.

Jacckk1985

Thinks we should ban Niall
You are weird.

lsd

The Oracle
Get in lads! Europa League confirmed :drool: :drool: :drool:

Hopefully city win the cup and these lazy useless feckers can forget their preseason jaunts and have to play qualifiers in July

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I honestly wish we could drop this competition. I think a season with purely domestic focus would be better than going through this again

AJ10

Only way we're getting back into CL is by winning EL, We won't get into top 4 for next season with rashford being the main striker with young/smalling/jones/matic/mata/lingard Then again I highly doubt we'd get out of the group with these lot.

DRM

Oh god I really hate this competition .Can we just not bother with it nxt season??

brian017

The annoying thing about the EL is the amount of Sunday games we'll have.... Ugh

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
Thursday nights....channel 5.....

There was a period of time....about a week....where I thought this could be a good thing. A chance to win something....then I saw the game vs Huddersfield and now I know we have to avoid relegation next year.....!:nervous:

Patrick08

Depressing. I ain't watching any of it bar semis and final, if we made it.

Dec9003

The players deserve the Europa league.