Europa League / Europa Conference League 2021/22

Kopral Jono

Going all the way might be a step too far for Rangers but what a cup run. To be perfectly honest, in recent years I kind of enjoy the Europa League more than the Champions League. There's an old school feel to it that I can't quite put my finger on.

Rayman96

Supports
Also supports Rangers
The best part of this week has to be listening to Trevor Sinclair. His utter nonsense no no bounds.
Yesterday it was that City would rather win the league than the champions league and now today its Celtic will have a better season than Rangers even if they win the europa.
A more bitter twisted soul you will never meet. Even Alan Brazil a diehard Celtic fan told him to shut the hell up.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Going all the way might be a step too far for Rangers but what a cup run. To be perfectly honest, in recent years I kind of enjoy the Europa League more than the Champions League. There's an old school feel to it that I can't quite put my finger on.
Yeah, I call it the Ropey League as a tongue in cheek gesture, but I think you're right. It has a lot more surprises and competitive matches which make it more enjoyable. I think making it 32 teams also helps.

As for the final, it'll be interesting. Both teams have got there against the odds but play in a counter attacking manner. I can see a game where they cancel each other out and then a moment of quality or luck decides it. I have it as a sort of game where it is 65/35 in favour of Frankfurt as they want it just as much as Rangers and overall they do have more quality in their team.

Last edited:

55titles

Supports
Rangers
A wee stat I thought this forum would appreciate,
Since the year of Man City’s takeover in 2008, Rangers have been to the 4th tier of Scottish football and back and still made twice as many major European finals as them.
Oh dear, how sad. Never mind.

VanAlden

Yep, and thanks to them we couldn't have our PL title/champions league parade. Feck em, hope Frankfurt do them over. Rangers would be bottom feeders in the CL anyway, would be more keen to see how Frankfurt would fare against Europe's elite.
You would love to be bottom feeders in the CL next season!

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Since the year of Man City’s takeover in 2008, Rangers have been to the 4th tier of Scottish football and back and still made twice as many major European finals as them.
That's a brilliant fact :lol:

padr81

Supports
Man City
Reject competitions don't count.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Frankfurt's Fans are crazy for the final. The club got requests for 100,000 tickets, which is ten times what they can sell.

They will also show the final in their own stadium, so a lot of fans will view it there.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Frankfurt's Fans are crazy for the final. The club got requests for 100,000 tickets, which is ten times what they can sell.

They will also show the final in their own stadium, so a lot of fans will view it there.
..and hopefully stay home and not trash my beautiful Sevilla. :(

Boavista

What a shame the final won't be in a larger stadium. I think they need to review that in the future.

Looking through the list of European finals on wikipedia it seems CL finals rarely take place in stadiums below 60,000 capacity while EL/UEFA final venues tend to be much smaller. But looking at the finalists they often have huge followings, so why make it difficult for fans to witness their clubs compete for a big trophy?

Then again I guess it also wouldn't be fair to just rotate between the largest stadiums. But the least they could do is allocate more than half the tickets to the clubs, which is what they currently do I think.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal

60k+ Rangers fans will be there, & that's a very conservative estimate. Only 9500k tickets allocated.

Becks-7-

Supports
United & Eintracht Frankfurt
Has anybody bought tickets from Uefa?

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Just realised one of these two teams in the final are going to be a Pot 1 seed in the CL next season.

55titles

Supports
Rangers
Just realised one of these two teams in the final are going to be a Pot 1 seed in the CL next season.
IF Rangers make it, the gap between Old Firm and the rest is going to be even more ridiculous than it already is with both receiving Champions League money. If Rangers don't make it, the iniatiative is very much back with Celtic.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
IF Rangers make it, the gap between Old Firm and the rest is going to be even more ridiculous than it already is with both receiving Champions League money. If Rangers don't make it, the iniatiative is very much back with Celtic.
I don't know, I think you would make the Play Off round in the qualifiers, obviously would then depend on who you got as some of those ties can become very tricky. Fortunately, you're endeavors have give you some protection with the coefficient.

That said, I am not sure Celtic would do much with the new dollar rolling in. I am actually a Englishman who likes to see the Scottish League producing in Europe. However, I have been really critical of Celtic for the past decade and particularly in the last five years.

The reason I say this, is that if they hadn't become so provincial in their outlook and just focusing on lording over your lot/the rest of Scotland when you went into liquidation, there isn't any real reason why they shouldn't have been in the sort of Benfica/Ajax/Porto category of teams. I mean, yeah, Scotland doesn't have the greatest board casting rights, but the fans and income, if they qualify for the CL, puts them up there.

Now essentially, they're back, after stinking in Europe for years, off the back of your success in Europe dragging Scotland's coefficient up after they tanked it. I just do not get the mentality, especially as with you gone they virtually had no competition for years so really should've have focused on Europe.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I don't know, I think you would make the Play Off round in the qualifiers, obviously would then depend on who you got as some of those ties can become very tricky. Fortunately, you're endeavors have give you some protection with the coefficient.

That said, I am not sure Celtic would do much with the new dollar rolling in. I am actually a Englishman who likes to see the Scottish League producing in Europe. However, I have been really critical of Celtic for the past decade and particularly in the last five years.

The reason I say this, is that if they hadn't become so provincial in their outlook and just focusing on lording over your lot/the rest of Scotland when you went into liquidation, there isn't any real reason why they shouldn't have been in the sort of Benfica/Ajax/Porto category of teams. I mean, yeah, Scotland doesn't have the greatest board casting rights, but the fans and income, if they qualify for the CL, puts them up there.

Now essentially, they're back, after stinking in Europe for years, off the back of your success in Europe dragging Scotland's coefficient up after they tanked it. I just do not get the mentality, especially as with you gone they virtually had no competition for years so really should've have focused on Europe.
You are 100% correct, and something that doesn't get spoken about enough.

Here's a stat and a half for you, Van Brockhurst in 3 months has just won the same amount of post Xmas knockout ties in Europe as Celtic have managed in 48 years! :eek:

VanDeBank

Ma’am

Here's a stat and a half for you, Van Brockhurst in 3 months has just won the same amount of post Xmas knockout ties in Europe as Celtic have managed in 48 years! :eek:
Feck me. Didn't he play for you lot before Barca? You even had an easy out with "Gio".

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Feck me. Didn't he play for you lot before Barca? You even had an easy out with "Gio".
He also played for & manages my local team! Sorry, typed it out quickly on my phone and let it predict, should have just stuck with Gio.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Celtic have been embarrassing in Europe. They probably still go on about beating Barcelona. Even though since then Barcelona have pumped them for 7, as have PSG and they can’t even beat teams from lesser countries

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?

That's a pretty damning stat. It's not just this season though, Gérard had been getting performances out of them for the last few seasons too in the Europa. For a while it looked as if Scottish teams could not compete in Europe but these Rangers Europa runs have shown up how poor a representative Celtic were over the last 10 years.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
I mean it's probably correct but It's a totally misleading stat.

Post-Christmas knockout football only became a thing in the UEFA Cup/Europa League when it moved to a group stage system in the 04/05 season. We've won considerably more knockout ties in the last 48 years than van Bronckhorst has managed in 3 months.

There's no denying though that our European record is terrible and something that needs addressed urgently. I doubt we'll win any knockout ties next season either given we're straight into the CL and with our luck in draws we're 100% getting Liverpool, Barcelona and Juventus or something mental like that.

edit: it isn't correct.

We won 3 knockout ties after Christmas in 02/03 and then another 2 after Christmas in 03/04. van Bronckhorst has won 4.

That's a pretty damning stat. It's not just this season though, Gérard had been getting performances out of them for the last few seasons too in the Europa. For a while it looked as if Scottish teams could not compete in Europe but these Rangers Europa runs have shown up how poor a representative Celtic were over the last 10 years.
I mean, we literally won more points in our Europa group than they did this season yet we were eliminated and they qualified :lol: And our group was undeniably much tougher. We had Leverkusen, Betis and Ferencvaros. They had Lyon, Sparta Prague and Brondby.

Last time scotish fan were on a final in Seville they were very cnutish boing the winners when they were lifting the trophy
The last time Scottish fans were at a final in Seville they won the Fair Play award by UEFA for their behaviour. That Porto team were dirty cheats that dived constantly. Masters of the dark arts like Simeone's modern day Atletico. It's not a surprise opponents would boo them.

Last edited:

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I mean it's probably correct but It's a totally misleading stat.

Post-Christmas knockout football only became a thing in the UEFA Cup/Europa League when it moved to a group stage system in the 04/05 season. We've won considerably more knockout ties in the last 48 years than van Bronckhorst has managed in 3 months.

There's no denying though that our European record is terrible and something that needs addressed urgently. I doubt we'll win any knockout ties next season either given we're straight into the CL and with our luck in draws we're 100% getting Liverpool, Barcelona and Juventus or something mental like that.

edit: it isn't correct.

We won 3 knockout ties after Christmas in 02/03 and then another 2 after Christmas in 03/04. van Bronckhorst has won 4.
You are correct, apologies, I'm 1 out.

I mean, we literally won more points in our Europa group than they did this season yet we were eliminated and they qualified :lol: And our group was undeniably much tougher. We had Leverkusen, Betis and Ferencvaros. They had Lyon, Sparta Prague and Brondby.
Is that how tournament football works now? "Ah, but we got more points than our rivals who were in a total different group, & our games were harder"? :lol:

55titles

Supports
Rangers
I don't know, I think you would make the Play Off round in the qualifiers, obviously would then depend on who you got as some of those ties can become very tricky.
If we win on Wednesday we are straight into Pot 1 of the Champions League group draw. If we lose we will have to go through QR3 and the playoff, but we are guaranteed to be seeded for both which goes a long way to making qualification achievable.

Charrockero

Supports
Chivas de Guadalajara
Tomorrow will be an exciting match, will Scottish clubs finally be able to win at international level again?

55titles

Supports
Rangers
Today is the day folks!

Incredibly nervous but Rangers can do this. 10 Brits will start tonight and 7 English (a few dual citizenship in there). Ryan Kent (Oldham) is our North West representative. I won't mention our Scouser on here.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Hoping for a Rangers win but Frankfurt will be a really tough team to beat.

These two teams have knocked out West Ham Barca Leipzig Dortmund. Crazy.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
I don’t think Rangers will fancy playing Frankfurt. They don’t match up well with their 3 at the back and wing back system which puts more defensive duties on Rangers full backs who spend the majority of their time in the opposition half.

An amazing achievement but a step too far I reckon.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Looking at how both teams made it to the final it seems kind of clear that Rangers heavily relied on their home games, since their away games went 1W - 2D - 4L, whereas Frankfurt were a lot less dependant on their home advantage: going 5W - 1D - 0L in their away games. This could be a factor in the final

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Weirdly excited about this final tonight.

This is what being a United fan in 2022 is... being excited about finals featuring other teams.