Europa League or FA cup

Paul_Scholes18

Nah I don't care about the EL. Not interested. When Liverpool turned that match around against Milan, man that was one of my worst days..
Arsenal losing to Barcelona in the final was fun.
Luckily I was so young then that I did not care that much about our rivals very much. It was the 2008/2009 season when it got really heated for me.
Suarez helped it grow even bigger and now it has cooled down a little bit again.
With City it was worst with Tevez and all the cnuts they had at the time.

In this current City team I only really dislike Aguero much and maybe Ederson/Fernandinho.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Luckily I was so young then that I did not care that much about our rivals very much. It was the 2008/2009 season when it got really heated for me.
Suarez helped it grow even bigger and now it has cooled down a little bit again.
With City it was worst with Tevez and all the cnuts they had at the time.

In this current City team I only really dislike Aguero much and maybe Ederson/Fernandinho.
Yeah Tevez going to City was bad with that bloody welcome to Manchester bilboard! :mad:

xtal191

FA Cup, Europa for me will always be the cup for the teams who cant hack the elite in Europe. I'll obviously want us to win we end up in it but I'd rather not be in it at all.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Europa for me. Though this season, it would have been the FA Cup purely to prevent City from potentially doing a treble/quadruple.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Of course the EL.

Bayern are going to win the CL this season as well, Lewandowski is in absolutely godly form, making Haaland look several tiers below him, so I'm not worried about our precious treble in the slightest.

Robertd0803

Europa League. We dont have enough European trophies as it is and the rewards are higher.

Plus I want that Super Cup in our cabinet as well.

Sylar

I like how this is being answered now, like United still have a choice between the two :P

Maticmaker

Surely if Ole's serious about doing things 'the United way' then we should have been pursing everything, not trying to choose between competitions?

If you look at Ole's team selection in the latter stages of the FA Cup; last season at semi-final stage and this year at quarter final stage, his 'rotations' did seriously weaken the teams and it showed.
The expression 'they wanted it more' starts with the manager and his team selection.

For me there is no doubt Ole's thinking in terms of Cup comps puts the Europa Cup higher than the FA Cup, simply because he believes we stand a better chance than in the FA Cup. This can be for all sorts of reasons, the strength of the opposition, the abilities in his squads, the extent/impact of current injuries; the winning of the Europa is a back door to the CL, should we slide out of the top four in the PL (is he really thinking in those terms though?)... its one trophy City cannot win this year...!!!

For myself the FA Cup is always the 'top Cup' competition , because like many in my age bracket it contains wonderful memories of past glories for our club and (for me) it makes up the 'top treble' of PL/CL/FA Cup. Only a 'quadruple' could better that and if City do achieve that then they might as well join the other untouchables the Harlem Globetrotters (Basketball) and retire from competition, just play exhibition matches around the World for Charity.

Robertd0803

Who cares about 2nd rate European trophies though?
Because its still a trophy and a big acheivement. Would you turn down winning the league cup because its a second rate domestic trophy? Or better yet end the season with no trophy or winning the Europa League?

Winning trophies breeds the right mentality in a squad ( or at least it should) and we need that mentality.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Surely if Ole's serious about doing things 'the United way' then we should have been pursing everything, not trying to choose between competitions?

If you look at Ole's team selection in the latter stages of the FA Cup; last season at semi-final stage and this year at quarter final stage, his 'rotations' did seriously weaken the teams and it showed.
The expression 'they wanted it more' starts with the manager and his team selection.

For me there is no doubt Ole's thinking in terms of Cup comps puts the Europa Cup higher than the FA Cup, simply because he believes we stand a better chance than in the FA Cup. This can be for all sorts of reasons, the strength of the opposition, the abilities in his squads, the extent/impact of current injuries; the winning of the Europa is a back door to the CL, should we slide out of the top four in the PL (is he really thinking in those terms though?)... its one trophy City cannot win this year...!!!

For myself the FA Cup is always the 'top Cup' competition , because like many in my age bracket it contains wonderful memories of past glories for our club and (for me) it makes up the 'top treble' of PL/CL/FA Cup. Only a 'quadruple' could better that and if City do achieve that then they might as well join the other untouchables the Harlem Globetrotters (Basketball) and retire from competition, just play exhibition matches around the World for Charity.
Realistically, we don't have the squad depth to challenge on all fronts throughout a season without damaging our league campaign. So I can understand putting out a lesser squad in some cup games and if they win great, if not that's ok.

Chairman Steve

I put the Europa League above either domestic cup, so I’d rather win the Europa League. We need more European silverware in our trophy room in my opinion. Winning European finals is sweeter than winning Wembley finals, and its probably more exciting for the match goers if it was played somewhere exotic or cool as a long weekend bender.

Plus the prize beyond the trophy is better, which is automatic 1st seeding in the CL.

Eli Zee

What if being in the FA cup meant we'd lose to city and they get to win the treble while laughing at us at the same time?
It's possible us losing has prevented the treble. Leicester can be the team to beat city when we could've been the team to lose to them in the final.

You ever think of that pal?

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Because its still a trophy and a big acheivement. Would you turn down winning the league cup because its a second rate domestic trophy? Or better yet end the season with no trophy or winning the Europa League?

Winning trophies breeds the right mentality in a squad ( or at least it should) and we need that mentality.
It’s not a second rate domestic trophy though. All the best teams enter the league cup. This is everyone getting dumped out of the CL into it and all the upper midtable Spanish/English/Italian teams.

Crustanoid

Nothing City ever do beyond 2008 holds any worth outside of a few plastic nouveau glory hunters who don’t care very much for human rights.

Easy choice

cyril C

Europa any time. Although we are more or less secured for CL (by winning West Ham and a few more wins thereafter), we desperately need to improve on our experience in European football. We have been terrible and failed to show up even against average teams. Every extra milestone in Europa, would be a great experience to the team, and in particular to our manager, who has never advance beyond 1/4.

CG1010

Although I don't attach particular weight to any cup, Europa league is by far better than FA cup especially as we would have defeated likes of Sociedad and AC Milan along the way along with more.

I see a few posters saying we did right to prioritise the match against Millan over the match against Leicester.

So here’s the question,

Would you rather win the FA Cup and at the same time destroy City’s chances of winning The Treble and defend our own unique huge part of our history.

Or

Win the Europa, a league we shouldn’t really even be in the first place and give City the chance to accomplish what only we could brag about all these years.

I’m pretty sure SAF would prioritise our history keeping City behind us rather than winning the Europa league.

I’d much rather defend out Treble than go for a cup we don't belong in, and think we should have done everything possible to try and prevent City from winning the treble this year, its defending our history. The next round was Southampton and in a final anything can happen we could win the FA cup and at the same time defend our Treble against our noisy neighbours. Ole was part of that history and I would be surprised to think he wouldn’t feel the same.
Around this time of the the year, almost every year for the past 10 years people think City are going to win the treble or quadruple..

MattJ166

I've never really thought about the fact that we could be "defending" our treble, mainly because it's City, they will probably bottle it anyway.

I think nowadays the EL is more important (probably the 3rd best trophy to win behind a league and the champs) due to the benefits it entails. I know it can be a ball-ache with travelling or over the place but when you draw a Milan or an Ajax it can still hold that little bit of magic, I suppose a different question is would you rather compete and get knocked out in the champs league at the 1/4 or win the EL?

Maticmaker

Realistically, we don't have the squad depth to challenge on all fronts throughout a season without damaging our league campaign. So I can understand putting out a lesser squad in some cup games and if they win great, if not that's ok.
I understand the points you make about 'challenging' but the truth is if that keeps being used as an excuse, we will never get the 'depth of squad' (actually what does that mean?) we need!
Its not OK (at least for me) if we put out a lesser team and lose, sorry not acceptable... one of Fergie's standard replies to unacceptable defeats when he had made 8 or 9 changes to a winning team in one move, was "I always put out a team I think can win', true or not, it was not acceptable then and its not now!
Injuries are obviously a reason for changes, again some rotation of 1 or 2 is acceptable, especially with heavy midweek commitments, but not 4 or 5 or more players at one go!
Sorry I'm 'old school'

Manny

Grammar Police
FA Cup obviously.

Europa is slap in face for the club, and not the European silverware I want to keep adding to our collection.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Leicester away was never a doss of a tie anyway, so we could still have gone out whoever we fielded.
But it did seem particularly odd to rest Bruno and Shaw, especially with a 2 week international break coming up.

However, it's done now, and the Europa should be easier to win than the FA Cup, looking at the calibre of teams left.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Small time caring about City. Sod 'em.
Especially as City could win the quadruple 5 years in a row and it wouldn't even matter due to their set-up.

Must be confusing being a City fan. Their whole schtick was hilarious constant failure. Now it's success, but everyone knows it's illegitimate and thus worthless.

anderson676

FA Cup, no brainer for me. Great trophy for United. Maybe I'm old school, I still love the FA Cup.
The same to me. I truly think FA Cup is much interesting and unpredictable. By the way, talking of football tournaments, can you share online resources, where you usually make monitoring about your football team? I like to watch live match score today on 55goal. It seems like it's well-known online resource about football analytics.

Last edited:

lex talionis

Europa League, every time. It's a European trophy, and a competition in which we don't have to play the same teams over and over again. Rewards are better, too.
Mike drop!

To be fair, others have made the same point, but this is the right answer.

stepic

fa cup and it's not even close. europa league is a crap cup for failed cl teams and middle table clubs. the only good thing about winning europa is cl qualification when you don't finish top 4.

Kaos

As bizarre as it sounds, Arsenal routinely winning the FA cup along with their top 4 trophy for all those years has cheapened it for me.

Denis79

I'm old school, FA cup for me. Not for the reasons mentioned above though.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
fa cup and it's not even close. europa league is a crap cup for failed cl teams and middle table clubs. the only good thing about winning europa is cl qualification when you don't finish top 4.
And way more prize money, has a big impact on your coefficient, qualify for the Super Cup next year, and get 1st seed in the group stages of the CL next year.
But yeah, other than that...

saivet

FA Cup provided we are making top 4. I just can't really get myself excited for the EL.

Even when it was to secure CL football I enjoyed our run and winning of the FA Cup under LVG much more than the EL win under Jose.

George the Cat

Not too sure if some of you are aware, we got knocked out of the FA cup the other week. Personally I‘d go for the Champs league, but you know what we got knocked out of that too.

And way more prize money, has a big impact on your coefficient, qualify for the Super Cup next year, and get 1st seed in the group stages of the CL next year.
But yeah, other than that...
the supercup in a friendly. I can’t even remember the game let alone result of who we played last time. It’s an additional game ckybs can do without.

the FA Cup is far more prestigious.

the only thing going for the EL is the qualification for the CL.

U99ted

Both are nice, but obviously beneath the Premier League and Champions League. By being the second best Continental trophy instead of the second best domestic trophy, I would choose the Europa.

Judas

Open to offers
As bizarre as it sounds, Arsenal routinely winning the FA cup along with their top 4 trophy for all those years has cheapened it for me.
Same. I was glad when we finally won it again after all those years, but its a trophy that has felt more and more meaningless as the years have gone by. Still want us to win it every time we enter it, but the teams who have won it lately (Arsenal) make it feel a bit like "we're a mess, but look we won an FA Cup!!".

The FA Cup just doesn't feel the same as it used to. From the final feeling like an after though, on in the evening, not even finishing the season with it, it couldn't feel less special these days.