Europa League Round of 16 Draw | United vs Milan

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Exactly. Form in 2021 hasn't been spectacular at all and they went through on away goals in the last round. It's not an easy draw but certainly not the toughest one available, yet you always get those "of course we get the hardest draw" comments.

You should be beating them.
We have without a doubt been regularly getting hard cup draws especially under Ole. You always seem to comment on our draws. Just because we didn’t get the hardest (which would be an English team), doesn’t mean the draw is still not hard. If you then add PSG, Leipzig, City, Everton, Liverpool, West Ham, Real Sociedad, Leicester who we have all drawn this season it’s easy to see why we keep complaining about it.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
The saving grace of the Europa this season is the entertaining draws, I hoped Sociedad would have been more competitive and I'll definitely take Milan over a trip to Prague or worse Donetsk at this point in time.

GueRed

Yep and a much much better record than against Spanish teams. Although the 2005 and 2007 games against Milan were real struggles for us!
They were very very good Milan teams tbf. Kaka, Seedorf, Pirlo etc

We were alot better then too...

SwedishFish

Spurs and/or Arsenal would definitely have been harder draws.

Not because they are brilliant in any way, but they have on par talent or better talent in their squads compared to AC Milan and they know our team quite well.

Also, Mourinho in a knockout tie is something I'd rather avoid if possible.

Wilt

Milan? ...no worries, we’re not due to get knocked out ‘till the semi’s.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Fun draw, they are on par with RSD. Need players to focus and we can easily win.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
They are because Jose is the luckiest manager when it comes to cup draws.
It is not about luck in draws (but he is, isn't he :))
I think that against us or Arsenal or whoever in later stage, he will prepare team like it is CL final

MikeeMike

Happy with Milan.

I'd far rather play the bigger sides. Makes it more interesting.

Zlatan vs Lindelof should be a laugh.
Was just msging my mate with the same. Zlatan will have some strange revenge card.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Tasty tie! I can’t wait for all the “they are there for the taking”, “we are much better than them”, “farmers league dogs” from both sides of the canal. :lol:

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
It is the hardest draw. Name me a tougher draw we could have got, and don’t say Spurs or Arsenal because they’re awful in the league this season. This isn’t the CL. Only there would we have deemed it an easy draw.
So awful in the league that you couldn't beat them in 3 meetings, and lost 2 of them at home? :lol: Add Shakhtar to that list, possibly Ajax and Roma too. Maybe even Rangers. Milan is a good side but nothing special - what do you expect, a cakewalk until the final?

We have without a doubt been regularly getting hard cup draws especially under Ole. You always seem to comment on our draws. Just because we didn’t get the hardest (which would be an English team), doesn’t mean the draw is still not hard. If you then add PSG, Leipzig, City, Everton, Liverpool, West Ham, Real Sociedad, Leicester who we have all drawn this season it’s easy to see why we keep complaining about it.
I do because every time I check who Utd have gotten, there's always some replies "hardest draw, of course" even if it's blatantly not true and that irks me. You've been getting hard cup draws yeah, don't disagree. Milan isn't a pushover, don't disagree either. But it's the KO stages of the EL, there's a realistic possibility that you'll draw a tough-ish side, doesn't immediately make it a nightmare draw.

SwedishFish

Which of the two teams declined the most?
AC Milan by far. They've not been back in the CL for years now and were in dire straits until they brought in Zlatan and made some decent moves in the transfer market over the summer.

They still lack a lot and have Dalot as their starting RB though.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Anyone but Manchester United, Tottenham and Arsenal please..

Anyway we've looked gassed in the last few weeks: shit against Spezia, Red Star twice and completely outclassed by Inter for 89 minutes. AC Milan should be the team everyone want to draw
:houllier:

Robertd0803

Can only laugh at these draws at this point. Still from a football point of view this is a lot more attractive to neutrals to watch than some of the garbage in the CL.

Also it seems as if Rangers play Slavia Prague quite often.

Brightonian

They still lack a lot and have Dalot as their starting RB though.
Is the loan rule the same as in the PL? Do they have to leave Dalot out against us? Not because I'm worried about Dalot, per se - Shaw would absolutely monster him. But it never hurts to disrupt the opposition's normal XI.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Good draw that. Feels like a big game but we should be able to beat them comfortably. Hopefully smash them and settle it in the first leg

Giggsy13

Milan have punched above their weight but are coming down to earth recently...like us. Should be an interesting tie.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Anyone but Manchester United, Tottenham and Arsenal please..

Anyway we've looked gassed in the last few weeks: shit against Spezia, Red Star twice and completely outclassed by Inter for 89 minutes. AC Milan should be the team everyone want to draw
@RashyForPM and if you don't take it from me, take it from the AC Milan fan himself.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Nice tie. We’ll smash them. They scraped past some team called Crvena.

SwedishFish

Is the loan rule the same as in the PL? Do they have to leave Dalot out against us? Not because I'm worried about Dalot, per se - Shaw would absolutely monster him. But it never hurts to disrupt the opposition's normal XI.
Regardless, I don't think he starts these two games. I'm sure there's some type of agreement between the two clubs regarding these things as a standard clause when United loan someone out.

I can't think of one occasion when a loanee played against us.

James35

They are obviously not the AC Milan of old but we are hardly the Man Utd of old either. Should be a good game.

Would have preferred an easier tie but I'm confident we will reach the semis...before losing again.

SwedishFish

Tomori plays for them, which is crazy to me.

I remember Milan having Maldini and Baresi, not they've got players who can't get on our bench.
And their fans are absolutely bashing Romagnoli for being too slow and not getting tight enough against both Inter and Red Star.

We could definitely give their defenders problems with our pace in attack.

Bertie Wooster

I really don't get fans who want a tough 'mouthwatering' cup draw because it's 'more interesting' than a 'dull' draw against an easier opponent.

I just want United to get through each round, and ideally put a good few past the opponents. That's more likely to happen against the likes of Molde or Dinamo Zagreb, and I certainly wouldn't find it dull.

I don't see why some think it's better to draw a killer of a tie that'll be far more difficult and we have as much chance of losing. Why want it harder for the club than is necessary? When we could have a much easier route instead?

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
@RashyForPM and if you don't take it from me, take it from the AC Milan fan himself.
He is just being cerimoniously respectul of our hosts, you know... the tie is 50/50 (United have rather more quality and depth, but Milan have much more desire) and a golden egg for the EL brand.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
And their fans are absolutely bashing Romagnoli for being too slow and not getting tight enough against both Inter and Red Star.

Tomori is lightning to be fair, he was the fastest in our squad (according to the other players).

Classical Mechanic

Tomori is really fast in fairness. Maybe that's why they wanted him.

Ole just can't cut a break with these draws though.

saivet

I really don't get fans who want a tough 'mouthwatering' cup draw because it's 'more interesting' than a 'dull' draw against an easier opponent.

I just want United to get through each round, and ideally put a good few past the opponents. That's more likely to happen against the likes of Molde or Dinamo Zagreb, and I certainly wouldn't find it dull.

I don't see why some think it's better to draw a killer of a tie that'll be far more difficult and we have as much chance of losing. Why want it harder for the club than is necessary? When we could have a much easier route instead?
I must admit, I find the EL difficult to get excited for, so a 'tough' draw is fine by me.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He is just being cerimoniously respectul of our hosts, you know... the tie is 50/50 (United have rather more quality and depth, but Milan have much more desire) and a golden egg for the EL brand.
Good point. Our desire was probably at like 6.2/10 last time I checked the Man Utd WhatsApp group.

SwedishFish

Tomori is lightning to be fair, he was the fastest in our squad (according to the other players).
He certainly is, but the turgidness and lack of a good partner at CB doesn't do him any justice.

I saw a lot of Milan fans rave about him last night. Maybe Chelsea should try to keep him next season.

Romagnoli or Kjaer is simply not up to par against the fast-break, quick pass, counter-attacking teams.