Europa League SF Draw | United vs Roma

sokol11

This was my last (live) experience of this fixture in 2007. It was unforgetable.

How times have changed. When will we see such crowds again? :(

tomaldinho1

People put too much emphasis on the league table for assessing how good a side are. 31 games isn't that much in the grand scheme of things. Arsenal are a better side than being 9th in the Premier League suggests. Their European performances have been really good all season, even when they haven't got the result. United will start as favourites against them if they both make the final, but they won't be massive favourites.

Just looking at some of the well-known statistically driven methods for ranking European football clubs:
  • 538's "xG plus" approach ranks United 5th and Arsenal 11th
  • The Football Club Elo Ratings, which is an Elo system, have United 4th and Arsenal 12th.
  • The European Club Index, which is similar to an Elo system, ranks United 7th and Arsenal 14th.
Couldn’t disagree more. The League table is the most accurate way of seeing where a side is - it's the largest data set and has no 'luck' element like you'd see in the cup draws. Arsenal are the 9th best side in the PL this season - smashing EL teams just shows how poor the competition in the EL is, not that they are underperforming in the PL.

We are the only team own dropped down from the CL after mistakes entirely of our own making, I think we're still a distance from mixing it with the European elite but we're another level to Arsenal, Roma, Villareal.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Yeah but Manchester United fans are widely known not be patriotic and actually hating the England national team, type "Manchester United fans hate England" on Google to see many articles on this.

I’m not like that, I love my country and I would take England winning the World Cup over Manchester United winning another Champions League if I had to pick.

I can understand Irish Manchester United fans (or any other nationality outside England) not wanting Premier League clubs to do well in Europe, why should they? But English Manchester United fans I don’t understand it what so ever!

I wouldn’t say it’s a generational thing, I’m in my late 30’s and as said everyone knows Gary Neville (patriotic Manchester United fan as they come) wants all PL clubs to do well in Europe, just as Jamie Carragher (Mr Liverpool), this is not because they work for Sky, its because when it comes to Europe you put your differences aside, you see PL clubs are flying the flag for English football and you want them to do well.

The view that if you are United fan you shouldn't want other English clubs (who are flying the flag for the PL) to do well in Europe when up against Spainish/German/Italian/French opposition, is like having the view that if you are a professional footballer and a Manchester United fan growing up, if you can't play for Manchester United, give it up and get a normal job.

If anyone here was a footballer and Liverpool wanted to sign you, no one in their right mind with give that opportunity up.
I agree with you. I suppport all English clubs in Europe and the England team of course, I just don’t want our main rivals to actually win anything. Like I wouldn’t mind West Ham winning the CL because they would have 1 CL and are no threat to us. I would support Chelsea Liverpool City to the final but I wouldn’t want them to win it, because they are our direct rivals and contenders in cups. So basically I support all English teams to the final as long as they don’t win it.

Judas

Open to offers
We should beat Roma with ease. We're better than them. Obviously its not always that simple, but it'll be a total feck up to go out to them over two legs. We have to win.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
I agree with you. I suppport all English clubs in Europe and the England team of course, I just don’t want our main rivals to actually win anything. Like I wouldn’t mind West Ham winning the CL because they would have 1 CL and are no threat to us. I would support Chelsea Liverpool City to the final but I wouldn’t want them to win it, because they are our direct rivals and contenders in cups. So basically I support all English teams to the final as long as they don’t win it.
So you're supporting one of Chelsea and city till the final and the other till the semi final?

RonaldoVII

There's ALWAYS probabilities involved in football, hence why there is predictions and analysis. Throw enough mud at a wall and it will eventually stick. After 5 failed attempts to beat them we will eventually get a win we're Man Utd for fecks sake.
Even outside football quality wise we are above them plus Tierney/Odegaard out for the season. If we somehow lost to them in the final it will be because of our own doing not because they are this formidable force people here are making them out to be
I don't disagree that we should be beating them as we're a better team but to claim it's down to law of averages is nonsense.

Judas

Open to offers
I don't get this at all, this might be actually more baffling than wanting them to win it! :lol:

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
You brits are different on the rivalries on europe. In other countries rival fans want the rival clubs to loose and if possible get battered. They just won't say it in front of the cameras :D

GueRed

i always want all the english teams in europe to fail.

especially the likes of Liverpool, Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Leeds, West Ham, Millwall etc

Mainly because of our rivalries.

And I'll never forget the ABU shit in the 90's.

Judas

Open to offers
I'll support random English in the Europa who get their luckily or whatever sometimes, because why not? They're not rivals. I don't have anything against a Leicester doing well in a competition, I'd have probably wanted them to go further this year if we weren't in the tournament with them.

A prime example Fulham's run years ago, would have loved them to have gone all the way and win it.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
The league table is all that matters at the end of the season. I can accept that, you finish in a league where you deserve to finish.

However, people are quick to dismiss Arsenal without looking at other factors. Like the fact we've improved a fair bit from our early season catastrophe, so much so our form since Xmas would actually have us in the top 4.

Don't think anyone should fear Arsenal by any stretch of the imagination, but not sure we should be written off just because of our league position.
You shouldn't be written off at all, any team who makes it to a semi-final is in with a shot of winning, you've as much right to be there as the other semi-finalists. Considering Arsenal's head to head record against us, I wouldn't bet against you in a one-off game.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Couldn’t disagree more. The League table is the most accurate way of seeing where a side is - it's the largest data set and has no 'luck' element like you'd see in the cup draws. Arsenal are the 9th best side in the PL this season - smashing EL teams just shows how poor the competition in the EL is, not that they are underperforming in the PL.

We are the only team own dropped down from the CL after mistakes entirely of our own making, I think we're still a distance from mixing it with the European elite but we're another level to Arsenal, Roma, Villareal.
The league table is a meritocracy, but a 38-game period is still subject to a fair amount of variance. We are only even 31 games in.

tomaldinho1

The league table is a meritocracy, but a 38-game period is still subject to a fair amount of variance. We are only even 31 games in.
Yes but it's the best of what we can possibly have - if there was another comp with more games in the same format, that'd be great but there's not.

If United plummet and lose the last 7 games and Arsenal win the last 7, Arsenal would finish 3 points above United - that's obviously not going to happen - but maybe they will finish 6th, 7th, maybe 10th? Who knows. As it stands the league table is the best indicator of a team's standings we have and you'd be hard pressed to argue United would not be favourites in a game between the two. Even more so because we are in the same league so it's as close a comparison as possible.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Yes but it's the best of what we can possibly have - if there was another comp with more games in the same format, that'd be great but there's not.

If United plummet and lose the last 7 games and Arsenal win the last 7, Arsenal would finish 3 points above United - that's obviously not going to happen - but maybe they will finish 6th, 7th, maybe 10th? Who knows. As it stands the league table is the best indicator of a team's standings we have and you'd be hard pressed to argue United would not be favourites in a game between the two. Even more so because we are in the same league so it's as close a comparison as possible.
You realise you can just look back further than a single season in the league and incorporate cup games in too, right?

Who's arguing United won't be favourites in a potential final against Arsenal? Bring favourites is a given, but they won't be super heavy favourites. Football is a game where upsets happen regularly between sides of a far greater gulf in class.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
So you're supporting one of Chelsea and city till the final and the other till the semi final?

I don't get this at all, this might be actually more baffling than wanting them to win it! :lol:
I want English teams to do well in Europe, if they get to the final even better, it only adds more proof that our league is the best in the world and makes our titles even more worthy, but I don’t want them to actually win it. Just go to the final and lose.

tomaldinho1

You realise you can just look back further than a single season in the league and incorporate cup games in too, right?

Who's arguing United won't be favourites in a potential final against Arsenal? Bring favourites is a given, but they won't be super heavy favourites. Football is a game where upsets happen regularly between sides of a far greater gulf in class.
You said:
People put too much emphasis on the league table for assessing how good a side are. 31 games isn't that much in the grand scheme of things. Arsenal are a better side than being 9th in the Premier League suggests. Their European performances have been really good all season, even when they haven't got the result
And I disagree because it's the best possible way to assess. Usually I think comparing multiple seasons can be useful but not during covid, this season's all over the place and last season had an enforced break.

So far, there's nothing to suggest Arsenal should be any higher than 9th, as you say above. Of course anything can happen in football but the whole point, as I said in my OP, is United fans need to stop with this weird approach where it's like we think it's a jinx if we just admit we should comfortably beat the likes of Granada, Sociedad and, on current form, Arsenal. Being favourites is a good thing, we need to own it and accept the accountability of winning these games as well.

Ekeke

What's going on, is this injury or performance-related?
He hasnt settled like he did last season. Maybe due to us delaying the transfer so long, but also Roma making plans without him. Mancini and Ibanez werent that impressive last season in their first season at Roma while Smalling was great, but this season they've stepped up and been among the better CBs in La Liga. Ibanez to the point where I wouldnt be surprised if one of the european giants wanted to pick him up as their ball playing CB, while Mancini is the stronger out and out defender and I'm sure better Serie A clubs will be after him.

When Roma play 3 at the back they are joined by Smalling, Kumbulla or Bryan Cristante who was a midfielder before. Cristante has the most mins, then Smalling and then young Kumbulla

Despite this, if he plays against us I'm not looking forward to our defending of set pieces and corners and wont rule out Smalling getting a goal.

More likely though is Miki being the one to come back to haunt us with a goal or assist. He's been their best or among their best players for the past few seasons and will be their danger man

Also, some might have put it out of their minds but he scored important goals when we went on to win the competition under mourinho years ago

RkkMan

You said:

And I disagree because it's the best possible way to assess. Usually I think comparing multiple seasons can be useful but not during covid, this season's all over the place and last season had an enforced break.

So far, there's nothing to suggest Arsenal should be any higher than 9th, as you say above. Of course anything can happen in football but the whole point, as I said in my OP, is United fans need to stop with this weird approach where it's like we think it's a jinx if we just admit we should comfortably beat the likes of Granada, Sociedad and, on current form, Arsenal. Being favourites is a good thing, we need to own it and accept the accountability of winning these games as well.
Bang on the money!!!!!!!! The people here have been acting like fannies. The desire to win should be much bigger than the fear of losing regardless of who we face. For the record I personally believe we are more likely to beat Arsenal than Villareal

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
He hasnt settled like he did last season. Maybe due to us delaying the transfer so long, but also Roma making plans without him. Mancini and Ibanez werent that impressive last season in their first season at Roma while Smalling was great, but this season they've stepped up and been among the better CBs in La Liga. Ibanez to the point where I wouldnt be surprised if one of the european giants wanted to pick him up as their ball playing CB, while Mancini is the stronger out and out defender and I'm sure better Serie A clubs will be after him.
Cheers.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Looking at the betting odds in the other thread, this should be an easy win for United. I always thought United would win, but wow those are some brutal odds against Roma.

York

League table is not the most accurate way to determine a team's standing until all 38 games have been played. If a team has played more weaker opponents it will artificially inflate their position in the table.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Looking forward to play Roma. No disrespect to Granada, but I can get excited about playing Roma a whole lot more.

They’re a patched together side so I believe we can go through to the final, hopefully to ply Villarreal

kingwaynerooney

Supports
United

League table is accurate mostly but I still feel we are behind Liverpool and tuchels chelsea. So 4th best in england.

We will see next deal.

Siorac

You know what you are probably right. I bet in slow motion it looks like Ronaldo nails him. What a shame we had to ruin football so blatantly.
It's a bit odd to get angry because of a hypothetically disallowed goal.

Judas

Open to offers
League table is accurate mostly but I still feel we are behind Liverpool and tuchels chelsea. So 4th best in england.

We will see next deal.
How are we on this very day the 4th best team in England? Your opinion is based on hypotheticals. Right now we're the 2nd best team in England, and have been for most of the season. In theory next year could be different, but no one knows for sure, it's just guesswork that Liverpool will bounce back and Chelsea will be consistently better. To say we're 4th best right now is frankly just wrong?

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
It's a bit odd to get angry because of a hypothetically disallowed goal.
Not angry I just think the fact VAR even brings these thoughts into peoples heads is damage enough of how it's impacted football. It was pretty obvious this was going to happen though.

tomaldinho1

League table is not the most accurate way to determine a team's standing until all 38 games have been played. If a team has played more weaker opponents it will artificially inflate their position in the table.
Yes of course but we live in the present.

We will see next deal.
Tuchel and Chelsea we’ll see next year - I’d have them as potentially being able to compete with City if they can find a top striker and a CB. From what I’ve seen they’re who I fear most outside of City challenging for the PL next year. I think they are most comparable to us with a big squad, good players everywhere but some glaring holes in key positions.

Pool have surely been unlucky this season but we can’t work on ifs, buts and maybes. United (so far) are 2nd best although it’s up to us to stay there and not drop the ball.

City will be favourites next year
Chelsea/United/Pool will be all be better than this season. Should be a great title race with fans back.

Lee565

Dzeko(former city player), mkhitaryan(former united), smalling(former united)

Fantastic, 3 players that will likely play like the best player in the world in their position just for these two matches.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I'll support random English in the Europa who get their luckily or whatever sometimes, because why not? They're not rivals. I don't have anything against a Leicester doing well in a competition, I'd have probably wanted them to go further this year if we weren't in the tournament with them.

A prime example Fulham's run years ago, would have loved them to have gone all the way and win it.
My Grandad always use to lecture me for not supporting English clubs in European tournaments and I simply didn't understand it, above all else how can you go from having rivalries (competitive or otherwise) with clubs at the weekend to cheering them on midweek? It's hard enough to switch mindset at internationals for non Chelsea England players let alone that.