European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I must have missed the games this season where Ole rested players on Saturday...what with us playing a game every single midweek up until now.
Not the same because league performance becomes irrelevant if we're in the ESL every year anyway, that becomes the main goal.

stepic

No because it has far more variables in it as mentioned.

This doesn't.
how so? 3 teams are promoted and relegated every year. in the SL, there would be 5 new teams. yes, the 15 would remain the same, but the majority of PL clubs also stay the same, on the whole.

red4ever 79

I must have missed the games this season where Ole rested players on Saturday...what with us playing a game every single midweek up until now.
Because this season there was still the possibility and opportunity to qualify for the champions league via the premier league. Once that has been removed, where is the motivation to be competitive in the premier league. It's not difficult to understand

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Not that it matters, but who do you think knew about this at the clubs besides the owners?

I'm sure the Glazers didn't come up with this and didn't consult anyone. Same with Kroenke and Abramovich. Why was Lampard sacked? Nothing that happens in the league or Europe really matters because Chelsea planned to leave. Wouldn't this be less detestable to Chelsea fans if they at least had a club legend at the helm?

Will any manager speak out against this behind closed doors? I don't expect any of them to say a word in public because they'll be out on their ear quick as spit if they do.
Don't really think so. Also if behind-the-scenes reports are to be believed, we are only very reluctant participants here and are joining out of cowardice more than anything - worried about being left behind in terms of revenue, but not the ones driving this catastrophe.

If anything if we still had Lampard and were languishing in midtable having gone out of the CL and FA Cup already it'd be more embarrassing I'd think.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I'm voting no on the poll based on the current format proposed.

I'm not 100% against a "super league" but as it as right now, it's a terrible idea.

The competition should involve clubs who are there on merit and finances. Moreover, nobody should be guaranteed a place.

stepic

Not the same because league performance becomes irrelevant if we're in the ESL every year anyway, that becomes the main goal.
it's not irrelevant if teams want to win the league, which of course they're still going to want to do.

Ixion

Aren't United getting sponsorships which Leicester can only dream of? Isn't Barca and Real already funded by state ? Doesn't Chelsea and City has unlimited pool of money ? The damage is already done. The small clubs aren't catching up the oil clubs anyway unless they are state funded. Just see this as an additional sponsorship which clubs are getting because of their huge fanbase.
Leicester just won the League a few seasons ago despite the gaps but it would be irrelevant under this system. They could finish above Spurs and Arsenal 10 seasons in a row and it would be those two that get the games against Barcalona and Juventus every season. How can that possibly be fair? They are creating a rigged competition that no one else can compete with and these 12 become the only relevant teams in football. It kills all other leagues and teams not involved. It is just awful.

I do not understand how any fan of football can want to see a competition where you are guranteed a place no matter how shit you are. There is no integrity in a competition like that. And these 12 clubs will literally make the rules, its absurd. A gap like that cannot be closed.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
It's not 300m a season. Its one time.payment of 300m with 100m yearly payments. Again, isn't it just like another sponsor? They are just maximizing the club's revenue potential.

The PL will stay like the same way they are doing it now. It will still be having the same broadcasting rights which guarantees the money to small clubs, isn't it ?
A sponsor doesn’t pay 100m a season

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Have we played in any competitions where the result doesn’t matter? I must have missed that too

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
it's not irrelevant if teams want to win the league, which of course they're still going to want to do.
I don't think we'll be in the PL for much longer so I'm not really sure it will be an issue. I think we'll be voted out.

There are ways to address any problems without resorting to something as soul-destroying at this.

Plus the open to new joiners thing is also incredibly elitist. No way Leicester would've been allowed in if this was back in 2015/16 and I don't even think they'd want to join. What right do these clubs have to act like they deserve a closed competition? It stinks.
I dont like what i see of the proposals either, but there are two things to consider:

1. we havent actually seen the proposals in detail yet
2. the current setup is so broken, is a watered down ESL really worse than what we have had over the last few years?

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Because this season there was still the possibility and opportunity to qualify for the champions league via the premier league. Once that has been removed, where is the motivation to be competitive in the premier league. It's not difficult to understand
What? Ole didn’t rest players against Sociedad at home ffs. Oddly enough top players want to win every fecking game regardless of if the achievement of top 4 is at stake. The sodding hypocrisy of people banging on about greed and then using the money finishing 4th brings as some brilliant bastion shining light of sporting integrity is astounding.

Cal?

CR7 fan
This is sure, the players can become free agent and decide where to play

the contracts automatically terminates when the clubs leaves
Apart from Bayern & PSG, which club offers pay at the same level as some of the 12?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I'm not sure why the fans and the players have to suffer. Rather than banning the club and the players, is there a way or rule for the government to ban the owners & CEO to receive money from the club forever? The main culprit are the owners and the CEO.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Just watched Neville's podcast, sums it up beautifully. If the ESL were to be a success it would be the status quo for the next 20 years if not longer. Honestly if I were the FA I would be saying to all the clubs, you wanna go go, but you wont be playing in our league or cups. I'm a huge Levy fan but this is just ALL feckING WRONG.
It's all about power. If the FA tells those clubs they won't be playing in their competitions they will have to accept everything that comes after that as well, which is far less money for the many employers that would be left in the whole thing.

Are they willing to accept that? If they do, they will have my admiration, but at the end of the day it's money what makes the world go round.

red4ever 79

I dont like what i see of the proposals either, but there are two things to consider:

1. we havent actually seen the proposals in detail yet
2. the current setup is so broken, is a watered down ESL really worse than what we have had over the last few years?
you cannot have any franchise in football where the same 15 clubs are guaranteed to stay in there no matter how shite they are. Would be a dream scenario for those clubs and owners

stevoc

The selfish 6 cannot have this superleage and remain in the EPL, that is something that cannot happen, for the reasons already listed in this thread. Their team selections in midweek would be favoured towards a more lucrative competion, whilst resting players in the EPL where they are not bothered where they finish. This would ruin the integrity and fair play of the league.
To be fair that's already been happening for years with the CL.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Have we played in any competitions where the result doesn’t matter? I must have missed that too
Sociedad home. Why did Burnley matter at the weekend? We’re home and hosed already for the great top 4 achievement. Leeds just beat City - how is that possible? They had nothing to play for. Amazed their players even bothered to turn up.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I'm voting no on the poll based on the current format proposed.

I'm not 100% against a "super league" but as it as right now, it's a terrible idea.

The competition should involve clubs who are there on merit and finances. Moreover, nobody should be guaranteed a place.
Sadly though the whole point of this super league is these rich arseholes want a garunteed place, I think it’s the whole point for them.

mancan92

Make it happen. I don't care about all these outrages and crying from UEFA, PL, Sky etc who are crying because they see loss in revenue and hiding behind fake morality and tradition.

As for fans as a whole, almost every new thing whether they'd turn out good or bad have usually always been met with outrage. If this SL works out people will be on board.
Anything that means the destruction of football below the. Elite level is bad on every level and should be stopped by everyone

stepic

I don't think we'll be in the PL for much longer so I'm not really sure it will be an issue. I think we'll be voted out.
you really think the PL will kick out its 6 richest clubs out? i can't see this happening in a million years. they will threaten to do so, of course, but the impact it would have on revenue, tv rights, etc, is far too great for them to actually go through with. as i said before, it's postering.

Ixion

To be fair that's already been happening for years with the CL.
Multiply it by 100 when the results of the League have absolutely no bearing. At least when teams had to finish top 4 there was something to fight for. There will be no benefit for Spurs to finish 3rd or 13th. They'll still get their games with Madrid the next season, that is not the case right now.

Infra-red

This will surely be a deal breaker with many players. Will the likes of Ronaldo, De Bruyne, Sterling, Pogba, Bruno, Salah, Van Dijk, Kane etc really agree to play in this new league if it means never playing for their countries ever again?

Drifter

American
We will put everything on the table to prevent this from happening - Dowden
Oliver Dowden, Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport, said the UK Government will be "reviewing everything the Government does" to support the so-called big six football clubs who have decided to join the European Super League.
Making a statement on the matter in the Commons, he said he has spoken to the football authorities, adding: "My message for them was clear: they have our full backing.
"But, be in no doubt, if they can't act we will. We will put everything on the table to prevent this from happening. We are examining every option from governance reform to competition law and mechanisms that allow football to take place.
"Put simply, we will be reviewing everything the Government does to support these clubs to play. I have discussed these options with the Prime Minister this morning and we are working at pace across Government and with football authorities."
May come down to government again to stop this.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
This just won't happen, loath them or loath them you cannot deny the business acumen of NFL owners like the Glazers and Kroenke. They understand marketing and selling their sport to tv networks on a much deeper level than poor old UEFA or the PL. If this thing happens, and it certainly looks like it will, it will generate more cash and bigger ratings than any other club competition. If the PL, La Liga etc. decide to kick the clubs out then they will simply expand their business model and you will end up with 24 or 28 of the biggest clubs in Europe involved and the remaining competitions will wind up being little more than semi-pro.
Ultimately that's what I expect, 30 teams in two conferences with 28 regular season games and a maximum of 10 playoff games.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
I would like all the organisations and these 12 clubs to start their dialogue and get on with things. Fans and players need to know what is going to happen.
Tired of all this crap being reported in the press. Get together and sort the shit out quickly.

stepic

This will surely be a deal breaker with many players. Will the likes of Ronaldo, De Bruyne, Sterling, Pogba, Bruno, Salah, Van Dijk, Kane etc really agree to play in this new league if it means never playing for their countries ever again?
more postering

the euros and wc without the best players would be non events.

red4ever 79

What? Ole didn’t rest players against Sociedad at home ffs. Oddly enough top players want to win every fecking game regardless of if the achievement of top 4 is at stake. The sodding hypocrisy of people banging on about greed and then using the money finishing 4th brings as some brilliant bastion shining light of sporting integrity is astounding.
woosh, take a break, go back and try to understand what people are point out for you. I write it here again
The clubs would have no incentive or any need to be competitive in the EPL, as there would no longer be champions league qualification at stake. They would however want to be competitive in the super league due to prize money offered. This would affect the performance in the EPL and thus the integrity of the game in the domestic game.

Foxbatt

All good and well but the guy you're replying to is right. Without the big clubs, the league's are dead. Money from tv rights will dry up and the league's will die. The FA's have literally no choice.

To me it seems like FIFA and UEFA are threatened at losing their own monopoly
The big clubs will no longer be big clubs.