European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
James Milner: "I don't like it and hopefully it doesn't happen"

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Cerefin's going to look like right cnut if he doesn't put his phone away.

Can you provide a link to Milner's comments?
From the BBC

Liverpool midfielder James Milner talking to Sky Sports: "You have to put in two good halves ands we didn't do that. In the second half we looked tired, probably the Madrid game took a lot out of us.

"For us we are trying to coventrate on the game. There is a lot going on but we have to be professional. We heard first when it broke yesterday.

What is your view of the European Super League? "Same as everyone there is a lot of questions. I can only say my view, I don't like it and hopefully it doesn't happen. I can imagine what has been said about it and I probably agree with a lot of it."

Pagh Wraith

Is it true Chelsea and City are talking about backing out of the SL?
Imagine how good the standing of these two could be now if either of them had the spine to say no. They would have been completely whitewashed as none of the traditional big clubs could have pointed their fingers at them anymore. But they didn't. All the money these clubs invest in marketing themselves around the world and they missed the biggest PR trick imaginable.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
However much the teams are making City's owners will always be richer.

But yeah I'd imagine the spending framework will mean every team has a set budget roughly the same.
Why it kind of baffles me a little why we're so behind this. We can (in theory) compete with spending with everyone in the world bar 2/3 clubs...why are we taking that competitive advantage away? Well I know why, cos they don't care so long as the bank balance grows... But yeah, they're basically allowing clubs to catch up to us in terms of finances.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Really good interviews from both Milner and Bamford there. Respect to both.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
“Manchester City don’t want this”

Apparently they do Gary.
Quite possibly the funniest thing I’ve read all day. The ‘cartel’ of Manchester United and Arsenal forcing poor auld City and Chelsea into the evil super league!

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
It's very optimistic of Neville to think players will come out against it.

It's one thing for a player near the end like Milner to come out and condemn it but it's a lot different for a younger player to give up potentially tens of millions in wages.

Woodzy

That Sky statement will bite them in the arse in the future if this thing sticks. No chance they won’t want to be involved if it goes ahead.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Carragher mentioning the PL breakaway and Sky taking football away from terrestrial TV. Sky won't like that.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
We’ve got to do the same as Liverpool today and have Ole and Maguire to strongly condemn it. Liverpool fans should be proud of their captain and manager today.

I’ll be devastated if Ole gives a vanilla half arsed reply like Tuchel.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
We need all the players speak out against it.
Aye, the players reacting negatively is ultimately the only way to prevent this fiasco from going ahead. I expect a large number will air their grievances over the next few days. The threat of losing out on domestic and international football by participating in the ESL won't sit well with them.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
I’m sure this has been raised by some already, but what ramifications would the ESL have on the youth teams?
Depends if the SL is launched alonsgside other competitions like it was desired at least from I gathered. More games = more competition, more rotation, wider squads, more academy debuts and gametime in general for whoever is ready to feature.

Longterm teams could get more players on loan or try to buy cheap but ready players to fill the squad holes, depends on the structure and budget..

In case this would only substitute one of European or in extreme case league comeptitions (which will never happen) it would be probably worse because teams would fight for every game and the bonuses from it if it has as much money as presented.

We will see what happens, still think this might be launched but as a nondirect competition to any of the leagues, as say some sort of preseason & midseason tournament with the final in May with less money than mentioned and will fall from grace soon after.

Judas

Open to offers
I'm guessing Sky have already tried to bid for the rights and lost, surely they'd not be going in this hard on it if they had a chance of one day gaining the rights.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
We’ve got to do the same as Liverpool today and have Ole and Maguire to strongly condemn it. Liverpool fans should be proud of their captain and manager today.

Same here. They all need to unite though. Managers should be on a call this week discussing what they can do to stop this. Same with players. Carragher is right, it can only be stopped if everyone in football comes together.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I'm guessing Sky have already tried to bid for the rights and lost, surely they'd not be going in this hard on it if they had a chance of one day gaining the rights.
Most probably. Hope Amazon blow them out the water and they’re left showing the Johnsons Paint Trophy to 8 viewers.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

I hope Ole speaks out about it. He couldn't stop harping on about the integrity of the club when he took charge.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
From the BBC

Liverpool midfielder James Milner talking to Sky Sports: "You have to put in two good halves ands we didn't do that. In the second half we looked tired, probably the Madrid game took a lot out of us.

"For us we are trying to coventrate on the game. There is a lot going on but we have to be professional. We heard first when it broke yesterday.

What is your view of the European Super League? "Same as everyone there is a lot of questions. I can only say my view, I don't like it and hopefully it doesn't happen. I can imagine what has been said about it and I probably agree with a lot of it."
Shame Milner's 35, Liverpool will probably just release him or sell him to Leeds for low fee.

I honestly think that's the last hope now, players and managers just disown this idea and walk out and clubs left with just youth teams and mercenary players. So far the noises are reasonably encouraging but probably will change once another 50-100k is added in next contract negotiation.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Quite possibly the funniest thing I’ve read all day. The ‘cartel’ of Manchester United and Arsenal forcing poor auld City and Chelsea into the evil super league!
To be fair Roman's never looked at Chelsea as a money-making enterprise the way Agnelli, FSG, and the Glazers have at their respective clubs. It's cowardice that we aren't standing up to it but I find it entirely believable that we were reluctant.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Going strictly off the amount of warning points he has, a week. Don't know if the mods will make it permanent though as they were all given in the last 24 hours or so, so it's not like a gradual thing.
Fair enough mate.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Aye, the players reacting negatively is ultimately the only way to prevent this fiasco from going ahead. I expect a large number will air their grievances over the next few days. The threat of losing out on domestic and international football by participating in the ESL won't sit well with them.
Exactly. And I understand why they've been quiet today because it sounds like they're confused and caught off guard. Hopefully later this week we see a united front.