European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Great to see this sort of solidarity between the supporters of these clubs. We have all been shafted.
As far as I’m concerned, football rivalry can take a back seat for as long it needs to. What those cnuts are doing, is literally going to affect all of in a very bad way. They’re trying to rip up the competitive nature and the possibility of teams like West Had or Leicester taking their spot.

matt10000

I can see both sides of the argument. This Super league stinks of greed. But I can also see the points others made that UEFA and FIFA are corrupt bastards too.

So I'll reserve judgment until we see how all of this pans out.
Yes but creating a cartel is not the way forward. It has to be a pyramid based on merit from top to bottom so anyone can dream. Watford went through all of the leagues under G Tahlor and competed at the top. This has to be a dream for any club.

If this system had been introduced years ago we would still have the likes of Leeds, Forest, Villa, Sunderland, Wednesday and going back further Wolves, Bolton, Preston in a Euro super league, there would be no such thing as a sleeping giant because they could never fail.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
When has it not been? That's my point. We've decided to walk this path when we sold the club to American investors. Same goes for all those participating in the ESL. It's disgusting but the outcry comes too late.
You must have forgotten the green and gold campaign and the endless protesting in opposition to the Glazer takeover.

And it's never too late.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Yeah we do care. The european cup is massive. Some of my most memeorable european nights and worse have been the european cup finals we have won and lost.

Converting their european cups to ESL trophies is embarrassing but it Perez. Apparently last night he was quoted as saying "if the younger generation find a football match too lon to watch, we will look at making football matches shorter". He's lost touch with reality. He's up for re-election soon right? Hope madrid fans vote him out.
He was re elected since there wasn't more candidates.
I think when he said that about the younger generations he referred to something said by Agnelli days before

Oldyella

The not so king has spoken, although big respect to Milner for having the balls to come out and say it.
Fair play to him, but it's a bit rich talking about fan behaviour given the welcome some teams have had in recent years at Anfield.

MattofManchester

This says it all about them going after the 'global consumer' and makes me feel ill.
I wouldn't say global. It's just more Americanisation at this stage. Breaking down tradition and culture in favour of corporate structures with no soul aiming to grasp those with minute attention spans.

Smores

This says it all about them going after the 'global consumer' and makes me feel ill.
i had to delete a length insulting post after reading that post :lol:

We've got a lot of great global fans and it's part of this club but seriously get fecked to any that want english football ripped up to make it more convenient or suited to the fact they don't really like football.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I voted "YES" for the ESL because:

1. I'm sick of VAR, the lack of consistency of English referees. I'm honestly tired of being frustrated with the lack of accountability with refereeing

2. I lost interest in watching Manutd games against the likes of Granada, Burnley, Cyrstal Palace, etc. I find myself always scrolling through Instagram during these small team games. During big games against the likes of City, Liverpool and Chelsea, however, I'm fully emotionally invested. And I like that feeling. So hopefully the ESL can bring back my passion for football

3. I'm sick of paying multiple telecommunications hundreds of dollars per month for sports coverage. The ESL can solve this issue by having its own network or partnering up with leading streaming companies such as Netflix, Hulu, or Disney. I do not mind for paying affordable streaming services. Currently, I'm subscribed to Netflix and Disney.

From a football fan perspective that does not reside in UK, I don't see any downside to the ESL. I notice that is a lot of talk of "English Pyramid", "Coaches jobs", "Stadium infrastructures investment", "UK tv rights", etc. Not to be insensitive, but none of those are a concern to global football fans that just want to watch the best players compete against each other in a convenient platform at bargain prices.

The stuff that excites me most about football:

1. Watching the best team which also means best players and managers competing against each other

2. Transfer market. Imagine trading Bruno Fernandes for Harry Kane. I know it sounds ridiculous, but I think that is what us younger fans want to see. Shocking and exciting transfers. Changing team dynamics, etc

I think the ESL can provide an outstanding product. I will probably receive backlash for this post. But this is my geniune opinion, and I cannot wait for football to be exciting again. I want to be emotionally invested week in and week out, and that can only happen if the best players in terms of skills and branding are pitted against each other.
Wow. Emotionally invested as long as it’s a selective emotional investment. What an odd way of looking at it.
Strange that throughout my Utd supporting life, Utd have always been a glam tie and not only a scalp but the scalp . Strange then that all other clubs and including the likes of Burnley ( founding members of the League) have a huge emotional and historical investment in playing Utd, City, Liverpool etc but now owners who have no idea of the socio-historical knowledge of football in this country think it’s ok to ditch it.

Inigo Montoya

While FIFA wants a similar super league for Africa. The moment money is showed to them, FIFA will sing whatever tune ESL clubs want it to sing
Indeed. They want their own global club tournament, on their terms. So they are running scared of pissing these clubs off.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
That's not how it works. You can ask very clever and experienced Counsel to advise you and give their opinion, but litigation always carries risks and it is never (or indeed very rarely) clear cut. No lawyer (or certainly none who are any good) will tell you that you are guaranteed to win, because if they do, and you don't they're in the firing line. It's often the case that people assume that big outfits have all the legal side boxed off before they do anything but that's rarely the case. It's more often about reviewing and managing risk.

Secondly, litigation takes time, and in this instance it has to occur cross jurisdictionally. That brings about potentially enormous complexity.

The issue I see here is that UEFA (and potentially FIFA) have so much to lose given the seismic nature of this, the ordinary rules of engagement (i.e. not rocking the boat and keeping the money rolling in until a settlement is reached, or a ruling comes from the Courts) may not be the tactic they choose to run with.

The clubs involved in this will, of course have consulted lawyers and will have strategised on what they think UEFA/FIFA/the PL etc. will do. But they may not get it right. They may also have underestimated how the fans would feel about this and that may also give the opposition to confidence to start applying pressure. It's been interesting to see how it plays out.
My thoughts exactly, they're getting absolutely fleeced and handed a backhand slap in the face on the top of that. This goes for the national leagues as well. You can't have the cake and eat it, I personally think that the FIFA, UEFA and all FAs (who also have a lot to lose) will do everything they can to prevent it from happening and that includes kicking out the Snake League teams from every competition, even if it means losing money. They have everyone on their side but those teams and a minority of the fans.

And you're also right about the odds. It could go either way, really, even f obviously the founding teams already counted on the backlash and checked the legal side of it.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Just think of the prize money in the EPL aswell. Do u think they would care if we finished 4th or 14th, if the EPL is not competitive for us and we are guranteed european football every season in the mafia league, they wont give a feck about the EPL. It will become the carling cup and as you said we just need to scratch 40 points.
Exactly. This must be stopped for the good of the game. If it means booting out United out of the league then so be it. I love United don’t get me wrong, but I love football first and foremost. I loved playing it, watching it. Highest highs and the lowest of lows — it’s all part of the package. Take one thing away and it becomes a sterile mess.

hubbuh

We've got a lot of great global fans and it's part of this club but seriously get fecked to any that want english football ripped up to make it more convenient or suited to the fact they don't really like football.
Yep, these people aren't global fans, simply global consumers. There's a very big difference.

TsuWave

I can see both sides of the argument. This Super league stinks of greed. But I can also see the points others made that UEFA and FIFA are corrupt bastards too.

So I'll reserve judgment until we see how all of this pans out.
I don’t think many, if any, here would argue UEFA and FIFA are angels, but when put on a scale, they have to be addressed later. This ESL is a madness,.

The timid “wait until” approach is not the one to be taken here.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
This entire forum goes into meltdown every summer when we fail to sign the shiniest toys. Rumours of who we will sign generate more interest than some of the games we play. My teenage brother and his mates only watch the last 20 mins of games if they’re still close - otherwise they play Xbox. Football viewership and the way people consume media is completely changing - unfortunately Blatter isn’t really wrong about that.
This is true. I think there’s a genuine concern out there about how this “content” is “consumed” and without radical change the whole house of cards will fall down.

Can’t help wondering if we’re all just old men yelling at clouds and the consumers that matter to the money men are fully on board with this. They’ll have researched the hell out of the proposal, that’s for sure.

Abizzz

:lol: Very true.

It's as if history were no part of the identity of a club.

Godfather

You must have forgotten the green and gold campaign and the endless protesting in opposition to the Glazer takeover.

And it's never too late.
Green and Gold was a nice try but I'm not sure the motives behind it were right. Died down pretty quickly the moment we spent more.

Btw I'm not against the idea of protests. Not at all. It's great to see this movement among fans of all clubs involved. But at the end of the day the writing was on the wall and I'd kid myself if I said I'd stop supporting this club I'm so emotianally invested in if this goes through.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Wow. Emotionally invested as long as it’s a selective emotional investment. What an odd way of looking at it.
Strange that throughout my Utd supporting life, Utd have always been a glam tie and not only a scalp but the scalp . Strange then that all other clubs and including the likes of Burnley ( founding members of the League) have a huge emotional and historical investment in playing Utd, City, Liverpool etc but now owners who have no idea of the socio-historical knowledge of football in this country think it’s ok to ditch it.
This part cracked me up
"The stuff that excites me most about football:

2. Transfer market. Imagine trading Bruno Fernandes for Harry Kane. I know it sounds ridiculous, but I think that is what us younger fans want to see. Shocking and exciting transfers. Changing team dynamics, etc "

Ixion

They have picked a nice time to do this while most fans are still not attending games. Nice way to avoid 75,000 people calling you a twat for 90 minutes.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
One thing that really disappoints me is how proud I would have been had United been the one English side to say not to this. It would have been the United I've followed all my life, doing the right thing for the fans. I am jealous that Bayern have a team willing to do the right thing and we're not only just involved in this but leading it. All to make the Glazers richer.
Bayern are not innocent here. They have been driving this thing for decades. If the ESL becomes reality, Bayern will be on board.

Oldyella

I hope the 14 clubs holding the meeting today vote to kick the dirty six out of the league with immediate effect.

Do it.
Same. feck it, let's scorch earth this whole shit show and see what comes out the other side. Tbh, a Premier league with these 6 gone and 6 replacements would be intriguing.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I know there’s a lot of Corden fans on here... :lol:

Being serous though, he’s absolutely spot on
It's weird seeing every scrote in the world who you'd disagree with on almost anything talking apparent sense. I bet even fecking Piers Morgan is against this.

Feels like damn near every figure from Gandhi to Pol Pot would be on the same side of this issue. :lol:

red4ever 79

Same. feck it, let's scorch earth this whole shit show and see what comes out the other side. Tbh, a Premier league with these 6 gone and 6 replacements would be intriguing.
Would be refreshing, put the top 3 from the championship in and scrap relegation for one season

Inigo Montoya

I know there’s a lot of Corden fans on here... :lol:

Being serous though, he’s absolutely spot on
He’s also right in that American fans don’t care in the franchise run sports world they live in. I don’t mean they are apathetic but have resigned themselves to the cynical business sports has become. The original baseball and football clubs had that historical grass roots following but got swallowed up by the cooperate world.
Now it’s such a part of their society, yes they can’t get their head around promotion and relegation

Inigo Montoya

It's weird seeing every scrote in the world who you'd disagree with on almost anything talking apparent sense. I bet even fecking Piers Morgan is against this.

Feels like damn near every figure from Gandhi to Pol Pot would be on the same side of this issue. :lol:
Pop Pot would have them all executed

Godfather

Yes but creating a cartel is not the way forward. It has to be a pyramid based on merit from top to bottom so anyone can dream. Watford went through all of the leagues under G Tahlor and competed at the top. This has to be a dream for any club.

If this system had been introduced years ago we would still have the likes of Leeds, Forest, Villa, Sunderland, Wednesday and going back further Wolves, Bolton, Preston in a Euro super league, there would be no such thing as a sleeping giant because they could never fail.
Good points and I agree. But that wasn't going to happen under owners like ours, City's or Chelsea's.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
It was only a matter of time before America ruined football for the rest of us.
It's the fact that American fans, as long as they can get a drink of beer at a game and a couple burgers will put up with watching absolute garbage. The fact the games have to have an end result, but they will sob if someone got relegated. That they are quite happy to watch sports that but for a very few teams is completely uncompetitive. Even fighting relegation brings drama.

Siorac

If the European Club Association came out and said they wanted to form their own European competitions, without UEFA as a middlemen, in which competition 1) every club from Europe is welcome if they qualify and 2) there are no guaranteed participants, I'd wholeheartedly support it. Yes, let the ECA negotiate their own TV deals. For all I care, let clubs even broadcast games on their own chosen platforms. Make it transparent and cut out the middlemen. Great idea.

But this? This is a cartel, as you say. It's grotesque.

Siorac

I bet even fecking Piers Morgan is against this.
He is, he already tweeted that he would give up his Arsenal season tickets if this goes ahead. Only using a bit more colourful language than that.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
This entire forum goes into meltdown every summer when we fail to sign the shiniest toys. Rumours of who we will sign generate more interest than some of the games we play. My teenage brother and his mates only watch the last 20 mins of games if they’re still close - otherwise they play Xbox. Football viewership and the way people consume media is completely changing - unfortunately Blatter isn’t really wrong about that.
This is so true. My friend who started following football after watching me is barely able to watch full match and is most of the time on phone during the match if it isnt against a top team. This is after 7 years of watching the game. Only in big matches he will be attentive throughout the game but couldn't be arsed to watch games against Burnley or Fulham. People in this forum constitute passionate supporters but they are quite small when compared to global audience.

RORY65

I voted "YES" for the ESL because:

1. I'm sick of VAR, the lack of consistency of English referees. I'm honestly tired of being frustrated with the lack of accountability with refereeing

2. I lost interest in watching Manutd games against the likes of Granada, Burnley, Cyrstal Palace, etc. I find myself always scrolling through Instagram during these small team games. During big games against the likes of City, Liverpool and Chelsea, however, I'm fully emotionally invested. And I like that feeling. So hopefully the ESL can bring back my passion for football

3. I'm sick of paying multiple telecommunications hundreds of dollars per month for sports coverage. The ESL can solve this issue by having its own network or partnering up with leading streaming companies such as Netflix, Hulu, or Disney. I do not mind for paying affordable streaming services. Currently, I'm subscribed to Netflix and Disney.

From a football fan perspective that does not reside in UK, I don't see any downside to the ESL. I notice that is a lot of talk of "English Pyramid", "Coaches jobs", "Stadium infrastructures investment", "UK tv rights", etc. Not to be insensitive, but none of those are a concern to global football fans that just want to watch the best players compete against each other in a convenient platform at bargain prices.

The stuff that excites me most about football:

1. Watching the best team which also means best players and managers competing against each other

2. Transfer market. Imagine trading Bruno Fernandes for Harry Kane. I know it sounds ridiculous, but I think that is what us younger fans want to see. Shocking and exciting transfers. Changing team dynamics, etc

I think the ESL can provide an outstanding product. I will probably receive backlash for this post. But this is my geniune opinion, and I cannot wait for football to be exciting again. I want to be emotionally invested week in and week out, and that can only happen if the best players in terms of skills and branding are pitted against each other.
I'm not going to go after your reasons, for which you are receiving quite a bit of stick but although I don't agree them with them it is at least good to get that perspective because clearly the club's feel there are enough who feel like you otherwise it wouldn't be viable.

My question is why you think it's an outstanding product? Honestly I think it looks amateurish. It's called a European Super League but currently there are only 3 countries involved with 12 teams over 7 cities. There have been comparisons to the NFL but they don't have 3 teams in 1 city and certainly don't have almost a third of the teams making up such a proportionately small region as England unless the plan would be to relocate some of those clubs which is completely possible over time. Add in to that they still seem to have no idea who the other 3 "founders" would be nor a clear structure of how the 5 other clubs would be invited, it seemed like they hadn't even thought about the impact on the women's game until the last minute and have kicked that can down the road and frankly the branding looks like a 12 year's school project.

I'm opposed to the idea anyway as it's non-competitive and not meritocratic but even if you were going to have a Super League I would expect it to be more thought through than this, it looks as if 99.9% of the time discussing it was spent on the financial side and the actual football aspect was dealt with in about 5 minutes.

Inigo Montoya

This part cracked me up
"The stuff that excites me most about football:

2. Transfer market. Imagine trading Bruno Fernandes for Harry Kane. I know it sounds ridiculous, but I think that is what us younger fans want to see. Shocking and exciting transfers. Changing team dynamics, etc "
He’s also way wrong in that. As a teacher I’ve spoken to a whole number of ‘ younger fans’ and to a man none of them want it. If you take that as a sample of the whole youth market it would be higher than the 76% to 5% against shown here

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
United can survive 2 years without PL but reverse isn't true. So no, PL won't kick them out. I am 100% sure on this
Right now the PL can kick out every big six team, tell them they're traitors to the sport, and nearly every single fan and non-fan in the UK and Europe are going to be on PL's side.

The ESL have 0 public favor as it stands today. UEFA, PL, FIFA and everyone with a say so have to act now.

I love this club to death and I will absolutely support and punishment levied on the club for this.

The players will be punished, but the players ARE Manchester United. The owners of the club are the ones that push the players, staff and manager infront of them like human shields while they meet in secret and refuse to come out from their gilded fortress to defend themselves.