European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sentient Meat

Leicester Premier League Champions
West Ham competing for a CL spot
Tottenham suddenly became a CL club
Liverpool won the Premier League - Remember they were hot garbage for nearly 30 years until 4~ years ago.

You're misreading the point when you see "relegation". The point isn't direclty relegation, it's the inability to not qualify for the competition through success in the domestic league

The domestic competition and the Champions League are intimately joined. Now that is threatened.

Imagine a world where third placed Manchester United who are 7 points behind Mancheter City with 8 games left on the season make the choice to rest players in the league against Chelsea, thinking there's no point in risking injuries for a maybe-shot at going up in the table, because they're placing Barcelona in the midweek in a competiton to qualify for the tournament playoffs in the Super League.

That is the reality you're advocating for. The domestic leagues WILL becomes second priority.
Oh, I think there is a lot of room for improvement... I liked the idea of the guy who suggested the major European leagues would all feed into the superleague with relegation in and out of it.

However, I'm guessing the major players wouldn't take the risk because they don't want to tarnish their brands by having to play even a year in the now Championship version of the Premier League. If you have a league with only the elite... someone's gotta go down... and nobody wanted it to be them.

That would be the fairest way to do it... but the clubs in the Super League have become too big to fail as they say about the American financial giants.

Don't Kill Bill

This is some 1984 - freedom is slavery bullshit right here.

An organisation who has a monopoly over football, is using their power to try to blackmail private businesses into competing in their tournament rather than a non-sanctioned one and you want the government to prevent the competitor league by supporting punitive action?

Obviously under the current paradigm being part of the Champions League is something that no club would decline their qualification to, but surely clubs are free to turn this down and play whatever games they choose instead - if there is a market for the games to be televised they have a right to pursue it even if its a greedy move and not in line with a traditional view of football.
Its not a competitor league though is it? It is a cartel. Ban them I say. I wonder if there is a way of stopping the TV contract through Ofcom.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
They're called for sheep for a reason my friend. Completely different sentiment if the media put out a positive story yesterday instead of a "football is dead" vibe. I can't believe people are this easily led to be honest
Oh, you're coming out on the offensive now.

I would suggest people fighting this disgrace are the ones aware of what's at stake.

I'd suggest it's the 'sheep' that are happy for all other football clubs to fail as 'I'm alright Jack' and would represent the future fan these people are relying to line their pockets.

So take a minute and think why your opinion is so strongly opposed. You are not some Messiah bringing the knowledge to the masses of the uneducated and unenlightened, you are part of the people that enable a takeover by a cabal of rich and ruthless excuses for a human being.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Not sure about Bayern. Pretty sure Rummenigge was a fan of the Super League in the past and then made a reverse on that last year and backed the UCL model with changes. Wouldnt be surprised if they wait for the dust to settle and then join at some point. Kahn will take over soon, so will be interesting to see if they change their tune in the future.
I also thought about the fact that if the Super league games were banned from other competitions, Ligue 1 and Bundesliga could take a fair share of Serie A, PL and Liga TV deals since one league is during the week and the others are on weekends. I wouldn't be surprised if the handful of billionaires owning french clubs aren't wondering if they can exploit the division that other leagues are suffering, same with the Bundesliga.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
I'm questioning the semantics of a competition that bills itself as an elite competition with non elite teams in it. You're fine with that?
Yes, I'm very fine with that. Only recently us the great elite club, founding father and saviour of football, lost to Istanbul Bahshshaakweir and ultimately failed to get out of the group. Other elite club the Tottenham Cocks lost to Zagreb. It's a sport first and foremost and every club has an opportunity, if managed right, to tests itself against the best. Every club from EVERY country. Of course you might think eastern europe doesn't deserve to exist, I don't know.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
How did this just come out of nowhere? Announced one Sunday when
So if we never play Madrid, when we do play Madrid it's a better game? That's some mental gymnastics right there. Just remember that you're not allowed to be excited about these games when they come along, you know, because they're boring
Let’s say your favourite day of the week is Friday, right? It’s the end of a tough week, and you love getting home and having a well earned beer to signal the weekend. Well, why don’t you just quit your job and then it’s Friday every day? Beer is cheap, have it all the time. It would be just as good, right? My point is it’s not about the thing itself, it’s the context surrounding it. If we binned off the PL and just played Madrid and Barcelona every week it would lose something.

That isn’t even touching on the main moral argument, which is to ask why we or anyone else thinks we have a god given right to be in this new league. We haven’t been good enough to qualify for the champions league for any 2 consecutive seasons out of the last 8. And yet we want to hop over the others and hoover up money based on history, not merit. Football is all about the present - it’s why we take the piss out of clubs like Liverpool when they used to go on about how good they used to be. The point being nobody gives a shit if you’re 8th right now! It’s all about what you did this season. Well not anymore because that doesn’t matter. Whatever happens now, you’re in the same league playing the same teams. No relegation, nothing to play for beyond the top 2-3 teams. Where’s the excitement in that, when nothing can change based on results? You might as well not bother.

Plus there’s the tiny matter of us turning our back on 20 league titles and 3 European cups, deciding we’d sacrifice all that for a few quid. We’re basically selling out, using all that history as a ticket to gain entry to this table of football masons who want to pull the ladder up and leave the rest out in the cold. It’s completely against the spirit of competition.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
As a sponsor, do you want to sponsor the best team in the SL or the worst? You can only pick one, what's your choice?
The best, obviously. But that's not the question.

The question is how much are they willing to pay to back the winner over the rest when the rest are forever enshrined as one of the elite clubs regardless? And is that extra amount enough to justify large investment by the Glazers into the club to regularly compete for and win the SL, or small enough that not making that investment offers a more stable line of profit that isn't dependent on sporting results.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
The only reason PSG owners aren't for it is it will completely mess up the 2022 world cup which they've just spent however many billions organising.
Oh I dislike PSG more than anyone so I'm sure their motives are purely selfish. Still, they're on the right side of history on this one.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
I’m curious how this will effect three out of four teams currently in the CL semi-finals?

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Do we expect any punishments to get rolled out today?
UEFA are havinga meeting. Some possibility that the breakout clubs will be banned from the european competitions.

Would be nice if Premier Leauge levied some real punishment on the big6 as well. The more points deducted the better.

Enough to help Sheffield United stay in the Prem.

crossy1686

career ending
Right. This is your problem.

This isn't JUST about United. This is an attack in football. You don't give a feck about lower teams? That says more about your elitism and arrogance than anything else.

Go off and enjoy your super league, I wish you the best and hope you enjoy it. The rest of us that have shed tears for this club and travelled to support them will continue with our disgust and heartbreak after being betrayed by our club.
I'm sure I will enjoy the SL, I'm sure most of you in here will but won't admit it. In fact, I think most of the world will which is why this is going ahead in the first place. I've spent an unhealthy amount of money on United, I've been to watch them in two European cup finals and many away days and I will continue to do so now we might actually play against someone I'd be interested in watching us play against.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
After reading this thread, I have really come to understand why massive inequality is generally accepted, unchecked capitalism is left unchallenged, and billionaires are able to just do as they please.

#eattherich

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
These clubs are there because they have the largest fan following. I am interested (not supportive) of Superleague founders' argument that legacy fans are not the future. Ticketing income is already dwarfed by TV rights income...

There is a clear lack of interest from young people in football. They consume it differently. They favour individuals like CR7. It makes sense because one player that you like will change clubs. The era of Giggs and Scholes and one-club players is dying. Even Messi wants to join Man City. Fast forward a few years and ticketing business model will not look the same in that format.

From a sporting viewpoint, of course it makes no sense. From a fandom angle, these clubs are 12 of the most popular on Earth.

Genuinely interested to hear any Manchester residents here and whether their offspring are as much into football as they are.

crossy1686

career ending
Point is, who decides the criteria? It's just money. Take money out of it and Id say Schalke and HSV would even be better candidates than Leipzig.

It's just a big fat feck you to fans of all, but these 12 clubs. Upsets like Leicester winning the title or Porto winning the CL or comebacks where a club escapes certainr elegation is what makes football great. Now they just remove relegation and promotion in favor of these few clubs getting richer and richer and richer until it's all about 12 clubs.

Im sure it will be a commercial success mind you, but it sounds fecking soulles.

Unless Feyenoord can join, then I'm all in. :wenger:
In all seriousness, I'm surprised there's no Ajax or PSV at the very least?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Because you seem to think they've been gifted this by some sort of lottery, whereas I see it as giants of the game being asked to compete against each other for our entertainment
So you are fine with the giants of this moment completely securing their position for the future by taking merit out of the equation. Now Spurs will never have to fear being overtaken financially by maybe Leicester or Everton.

Oh wait, your response will be that Leicester or Everton may be included in this group of exclusive clubs who automatically qualify.

Leethal

Should expel all associated clubs from all European competitions, and provide a bye to all opponents, with immediate effect.

feck everyone. Including United.

Also, even though it isn't domestic, there should be some severe repercussions there, too.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
I'm sure I will enjoy the SL, I'm sure most of you in here will but won't admit it. In fact, I think most of the world will which is why this is going ahead in the first place. I've spent an unhealthy amount of money on United, I've been to watch them in two European cup finals and many away days and I will continue to do so now we might actually play against someone I'd be interested in watching us play against.
You are the problem.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
I’m curious how this will effect three out of four teams currently in the CL semi-finals?
PSG wins it by default, then gives the finger to FIFA after the 2022 WC and joins the Super League.

Would be the only silver lining to this whole thing, that City definitely aren't winning it :lol:

Fully Fledged

Obviously shit project but I`m honestly more laughing at most reactions and from what direction they`re coming from. It really is a depressing picture of the current football world.
You have a bunch of white collar sports journalists, TV broadcasters, politicians (fecking Boris Johnson of all people haha) and football officials scrambling and complaining that no one has asked their commercial interest, ehm I mean, *checks notes*, "the fans".

TV broadcasters trying to charge crazy sums during a pandemic, all the Sky and BT hounds sticking together, congratulating each other on great journalism when they were winding Klopp up in November on the scheduling matter, the different associations and political authorities not giving a feck for years on dubious owner- and sponsorships. But hey, suddenly professional football is a matter of solidarity and inclusion!
Good thing is that I don`t support a top club so I can just sit back and enjoy the show. Maybe its actually for the better in the end if it comes down to a big shake up instead of a continous slow transition of even more money and power to the big dogs.

However, one thing surprises me, why is PSG not amongst the 12? Bayern and Dortmund I can understand, the backlash they`d get from their fans would be insane and through membership they actually have some sort of power so I reckon Bayern will hope to maneuvre into the ESL without the opening drama. But PSG? Whats stopping them?
I do think the tv channels have a cheek with their moral high ground when they wanted us to pay Pay per view during the pandemic to watch the premiere league.

AneRu

Why would you think that?

Take Bruno as an example. And that example is 5 years ago.
You are playing in Sampdoria on loan. Who the feck knows you're there?!

And you're gonna do what? Turn down a contract from Sporting because you believe in yourself and believe that you are Manchester United and SL material?
And you will run down your contract with Sampdoria on that belief? With your wife and kids waiting to be fed.

All of you seem to forget that not all football is played by the top 20 clubs. It's probably the best catch to feck them with.

I might be wrong, but seems a good shout.
Of there is a complete break between the UEFA competitions and the SL then the FIFA clearances become worthless and the transfer markets within the UEFA/FA cluster would be at the mercy of the ESL clubs, why? Rather than negotiate with clubs, the ESL clubs will just encourage their transfer targets to break their contracts and payoff the value of the remaining years then join as free agents.

A full blown rebellion will be costly to UEFA, FAs and the Leagues. Imagine the fallout, with the broadcasters who pay billions to broadcast these matches, if three of the current CL semi finalists are thrown out or if the top six is thrown out! I can see next season failing to kick off if the big clubs stick to their guns and the confederations will have to come to the negotiating table, imo.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

I think this sums it up quite well. I also can’t understand why any United fan is not finding Arsenal and Liverpool potentially missing out on CL football one of the highlights of the season. Why the hell would you want an alternative reality where that can never happen?!

crossy1686

career ending
The best, obviously. But that's not the question.

The question is how much are they willing to pay to back the winner over the rest when the rest are forever enshrined as one of the elite clubs regardless? And is that extra amount enough to justify large investment by the Glazers into the club to regularly compete for and win the SL, or small enough that not making that investment offers a more stable line of profit that isn't dependent on sporting results.
Let's say the minimum you could make by finishing bottom of the SL is £350m, and lets say the maximum you could make is £1.5b for finishing first. What do you think the summers investment will be like?

stevoc

So apparently downtrodden fans savior Mancity abandoned them

The club that gave every downtrodden fan the dream of being bought by an oil-rich state
Jesus, the fact that clubs are being bought out by Oil rich sovereign states is partly why this Super League is happening.

Also imagine that being your dream.

justsomebloke

Go to Leeds or Birmingham, do a quick survey of the people there and ask them how they would feel if United resolved. Let us know how you get on
I have absolutely no need to, because that would be exactly as relevant as your idiotic and blinkered point.

I know you probably love winding everyone up and that, but it would probably be reasonable if you tottered off now. No one needs this bullshit at this point in time.

Melissa Reddy: Players weren't insulted and aren't keen. Club staff don't like it. The overwhelming majority of fans don't want this. It's on the owners.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!