European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
That would be fine if we are not all kicked out of the PL. Then it isn't.
Not a chance will they kick out 6 of their biggest clubs from the league. They'll be watering down their own product. Imagine the amount of TV loss Sky would face without them!.

I've just seen the CL "reform plans" and this seems like just a big of a joke anyway. Football is dead from 2024.

Don't Kill Bill

Why don't we bring in the army while we're at it.

Just because you don't like something doesn't mean you should go crying to daddy to make it stop.
Its not just me that doesn't like it though is it? Its millions of football fans who actually the watch the games and are pretty much unanimously against the proposal.

I think its probably your interpretation of what, when and why a govt should and shouldn't get involved in matters effecting their electorates that is causing our difference in opinion here.

Football being the largest sport in the UK, and all the supporters being against the move and unable to stop the event by themselves because of the power imbalances between supporters and owners.

This is exactly where govt should step in on behalf of the people who elect them to protect them from owners abusing their powers. That is what is happening and I think it needs to be stopped and the best tool for that job is the govt which has the power to stop it.

You are not one of those libertarian let capitalism rip type idiots against govt intervention on ideological grounds are you?

crossy1686

career ending
If you want to separate yourself from them because you think you're inherently better and more worthy than them, yes..? There's a big difference between football tribalism and 'banter' and wanting to start your own, exclusive 'super' league ffs. It's funded by JP Morgan mate, can you seriously not see that money is the only driving force behind this?
Money was the driving force behind the PL forming in 92, that was a literal break away league but now we want to replace the CL with a different European competition it's a problem? Sky talk about football like it didn't exist before 92. Leeds won the league in 91, no one gives a shit. Clubs that generate big money will always follow it, regardless of what we think.

Swoobs

Supports
Florentina
The leagues and FIFA are just issuing empty threats. If you are a big corporate, will you be a sponsor of the EPL, La Liga or SerieA without any of those 12 clubs? Even if you are willing to, sponsorship monies will not even reach half of the current levels.
What about the world cup? Would you want to watch a world cup without the star players, who mostly play for these 12 clubs + 8 more which will join due to the money involved.

The 12 clubs have the upper hand, they know they (and their players) are the main revenue generator for the products (World Cup, the leagues), and now they are using it as leverage.

Only the fans have more power than the club, so if you hate it so much, vote with your money

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yeah, before realising this was actually something that could realistically happen yesterday, that's the feeling I had, just tonnes of virtue signalling and faux moral outrage. But now it seems it's actually happening, and in terms of sporting integrity, it's just ludicrous.
I’m the same. Found the outrage a bit performative initially but am fully on board myself now. Every time I read the phrase “founding clubs” my blood pressure increases. I think what most pisses me off is the way we’ve decided to become lifelong besties with the likes of Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea. Plus Spurs being allowed to think of themself as one of the big boys. Feck that shit.

peridigm

https://thesuperleague.com/

Unless this is fake that suggests it will only replace the Champions League. And if that's true I'm all for it. UEFA is corrupt to the core and make so much money off the back of the clubs. It's about time there was a shake up really. Although I still think there should be an independent body, rather than club owners managing the league.
Suppose the clubs had some evidence of corruption in UEFA and released it. Would it change the minds of anyone against ESL? I think not.

Theo88

Not a chance will they kick out 6 of their biggest clubs from the league. They'll be watering down their own product. Imagine the amount of TV loss Sky would face without them!.

I've just seen the CL "reform plans" and this seems like just a big of a joke anyway. Football is dead from 2024.
The financial implications of not kicking them out would be much worse in the long run. Banning them is probably a viable option right now.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I assume it's just a cash grab targeted at UEFA's CL/EL restructuring. They want a stronger negotiating hand in that argument - that is to say, they want to be allowed to dictate more of the format, finance and timing.

It's understandable - they are the fundraisers and UEFA probably forget that. Even if they back off now, it's a warning that we'll be hearing these threat driven restructuring negotiations for a while.

If it's supposed to be serious attempt to recreate European football on the image of the US franchise model, then it sucks and I hope they get hammered in the fallout.

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
I feel that FIFA and UEFA need serious reform after this.

Club owners are greedy bastards but those 2 organisations have ridden the gravy train for too long.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I assume it's just a cash grab targeted at UEFA's CL/EL restructuring. They want a stronger negotiating hand in that argument - that is to say, they want to be allowed to dictate more of the format, finance and timing.

It's understandable - they are the fundraisers and UEFA probably forget that. Even if they back off now, it's a warning that we'll be hearing these threat driven restructuring negotiations for a while.

If it's supposed to be serious attempt to recreate European football on the image of the US franchise model, then it sucks and I hope they get hammered in the fallout.
Quite the drastic negotiation tactic, though?

Fabrizio Romano: Leipzig sources confirm they have no intention of joining The Super League

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
United are the best example of why this is happening. A team whose owners' concerns are solely financial to the point where the team has been neglected enough to be missing out on the top European stage year after year despite mass commercial appeal, so they just create a competition where you don't have to worry about qualifying. They don't care about the competition or the history of the game.
It’s pretty fecking disgusting.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
The Super League is not good news.
We should not join the rebel clubs.
We are the RINGLEADERS. Ed Woodward's old mates at JP Morgan are funding this whole atrocity.

Does anyone know what the time frames of this will be?

The ESL said the season will start as soon "as practicable". I think the English teams are playing a straight bat at the moment and assuming (or pretending) that they will still be involved in domestic league football. It is inevitable they will be threatened with expulsion although the Super League teams have already considered that no doubt. The fact that all the riches clubs in Europe bar PSG and Munich have signed up makes them think the domestic leagues cannot afford to throw them out.....we will see.

Are there no contracts with the TV broadcaster that have to be honoured e.g. Sky? BT? If clubs are thrown out of the Premiership then would Sky have a legal claim to claw back some of the money they have paid out?
It's supposed to start in August.

Oldyella

Not sure why United fans are all of a sudden concerned about the fidelity of the lower league teams. No one was balling their eyes out when City got relegated, or Leeds failed to qualify to the PL. As a fan of football and Manchester United I want what's best for United and the sport but I couldn't give a shit about these teams that don't want us to exist but all of a sudden need us
Half the fun is seeing your rivals get relegated or struggle. That won't happen now.

crossy1686

career ending

Is there much to discuss or agree at this point? It seems like it's done and dusted?

Ixion

None of this is "sticking it" to corrupt UEFA. Its completely fecking over every other club apart from these 12. It is absolutely disgusting.

SirAF

Ageist
Do you really think that? Ole is a fan of this club in the same way as Neville and Keane are, who have clearly shared their feelings on the matter. I'm sure he will feel exactly the same as them.

Add to that, that there's a always a chance our season will now be derailed. We could be kicked our of the Europa League and who knows what could happen in the league - it adds a whole sense of worthlessness to the season just past.

Despite not winning anything up to this point, Ole is making great progress with this team and the season so far has been a huge achievement for him (may or may not be good enough but it's his best season as a manager). This could all be stripped away from him and the players without a moments notice just so that we can go play in some fantasy league for a bit of extra cash.
Yeah, I honestly do. Solskjaer has done a good job, but he knows that he is lucky to be at the club and that he even got his shot at the job. Believe me, he's not about to walk away from all that.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
I don't see how the Super League - in my limited understanding of it - can function alongside domestic leagues.

One of the reasons why UEFA competitions are so dominant domestically is because of the elevation/exposure/financial rewards offered to clubs for having performed well domestically. How on earth would this Super League benefit anyone other that the richest clubs involved in its formation?

This will be a non-starter and in a few weeks those clubs will have their tales between their legs. This would never have gotten off the ground with fans in the stadium, and the sooner fans are back/showing what they think at globally broadcast games the better.

And by the way, just as we enter the business side to the season with SO much still to play for, this has discoloured and soured everything. Honestly appalled by the leeches at the top of the club. We are run by the biggest cnuts around.

crossy1686

career ending
Half the fun is seeing your rivals get relegated or struggle. That won't happen now.
Call me strange but I get more enjoyment out of United winning things than watching City get relegated. I mean, yeah, it's funny but the competition is devalued when the best teams and players don't compete. Plus, someone has to be the whipping boys of the SL, that could be funny as long as it's not United?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The financial implications of not kicking them out would be much worse in the long run. Banning them is probably a viable option right now.
The premier league are a different entity to Uefa all together. England can still have a premier league alongside a super league - eventually though I imagine domestic leagues will be marginalised and the super league will become the big thing.

kps88

I still refuse to believe this will actually happen. The universally negative reaction will cause at least a few of the twelve to get cold feet and pull out.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I really don’t know how I feel about this, I keep changing my mind, the main thing that I think is unfair is no relegation, all this does is cement these clubs as the supposed best and thats that.

I’m all for reform and all for potentially ending or changing the champions league if it’s a sensible suggestion, this doesn’t feel right.

Ixion

Those NFL games played in London are a preview of what will happen here. Expect to see plenty of these games played away from the home grounds of their teams.

Schneckerl

Money was the driving force behind the PL forming in 92, that was a literal break away league but now we want to replace the CL with a different European competition it's a problem?
The PL still had the same structure with promotion/relegation and clubs were inherited from the Football League. Just a rebranding.
This one picks clubs based on commercial viability instead of sporting merit and it's a closed off competition.

Woodzy

Just thinking about the fact there will be no relegation, no massive underdogs and nothing to fight for other than winning the league - does this open the door to even more attack minded football?

Possibly one small benefit in a sea of shit.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I still refuse to believe this will actually happen. The universally negative reaction will cause at least a few of the twelve to get cold feet and pull out.
Needs to be a reaction from the players and managers.

izec

Think they expected it. They prepared this for years. This will go ahead.Covid accelerated it, but i am sure they wanted to
Implement it in the coming years anyway.