European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
More home league games will have less meaning if you're out of the title race. Also there would be more home games which of course means more money spent... not to mention the fact that these ESL games may cost more then regular PL games.
True but we will have two leagues to compete in and let's face it it's rare that there is a close title battle anyway, But yes it would be boring if we are out of both title pictures. But it would be boring if we were out of all the cups. The knock out element of the proposed super league helps with that to an extent. So I don't think the level of excitement for fans will be massively diffrent that the post-Fergie era or if the super league wasn't formed. You could also argue it could be compensated by seeing higher quality opponents more regularly making games more interesting.

The ESL may cost more, but then thanks have a choice if to watch them or just watch the PL. Like season ticket holders have a choice about the cups and currently.

I don't think the impact on the fans of the super league clubs will horrific at all, it's the fans of the other clubs who will suffer.

justsomebloke

The only reason you say that is due to the way it's been handled currently by the footballing officials. You could easily make it more meaningful to do some all-star competitions (i.e prem vs la Liga etc). As I say the Lions tour in rugby is a prestigious and interesting contest, I've never understood why football couldn't think of similar things. Anyway, that's a different discussion but it does seem a bit close-minded to me to just completely shut down talk of ways to create interesting new contests. (not talking about the ESL here for anyone wanting to lump in).
No, I say that because I've spent at least as much time following hockey as I have following football, and the NHL do this every year. It's not remotely interesting. The search for "interesting new contests" sadly extend to international competitions as well, where they basically ruined the World Cup of Hockey by including in it not just national teams, but also a "best players under 23" team and a composite "Other Europe" team consisting of players from countries to small to make the tournament cut, on the absurd reasoning that it'd be "unfair" to really good players that they wouldn't be able to participate just because they happened to be born in places like Slovenia or Norway.

Football is a team game, not a fecking circus of performing seals.

Tony247

Fact that we worked blood sweat and tears for last few years to rebuild the team, went through hell to cement CL spot despite super rich competition from Chelsea and City, and after all this the bottlers Arsenal and Spurs will walk into ESL..that just gets under my skin.

SwedishFish

I see people saying football is already corrupt, yes and water is wet, that's not the point, because you're covered in shit it doesn't mean getting a diarrhoea bukkake is ok.
UEFA has become an economic powerhouse and an entity on its own.

Don't think that this isn't an infected battle is about greed on both sides where no one is a good guy.

The clubs are just trying to get more of the cake that UEFA keeps to themselves. The media rights deal.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
European football is getting one step closer to being the WWE. Yaaaaaaay. Can't wait for Benzema to elbow Lloris from the top of the cross bar after Casemiro distracted the ref. Tune in to "Real vs. Spurs XVII - The Grudge Match" for only 15,99.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
No, I say that because I've spent at least as much time following hockey as I have following football, and the NHL do this every year. It's not remotely interesting. The search for "interesting new contests" sadly extend to international competitions as well, where they basically ruined the World Cup of Hockey by including in it not just national teams, but also a "best players under 23" team and a composite "Other Europe" team consisting of players from countries to small to make the tournament cut, on the absurd reasoning that it'd be "unfair" to really good players that they wouldn't be able to participate just because they happened to be born in places like Slovenia or Norway.
Yeh fair enough, if you've seen more evidence of it failing in other sports that does make sense. On this one, I think I'd be more intrigued by the experiment. (Again not talking about the ESL for anyone scrolling).

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
EPL cannot afford to ban the six but they should put all six of shitheads at the bottom of EPL, right above the relegation zone. Let's see how City and United like that.

I love United with all my heart and was excited to comfortably finish 2nd, but what is the point if they destroy UCL.

By the way, if we import American shit sports system - player assoc has gone on strikes multiple times in the US to protest greedy franchise owners. Football stars in Europe should do the same.

crossy1686

career ending
No one cares about Rangers and Newcastle outside of their own fans. You are being completely daft if you think that Rangers vs Newcastle is bringing you money. It''s a worse proposition than PSG vs OM which doesn't generate anything close to what Liverpool vs United would.
Rangers have a huge following in the UK, and surprisingly Newcastle are quite popular outside of the North East. I said breakaway PL, this isn't the Super League I'm talking about. That fixture is worth more than Burnley vs Sheff Untied to a domestic broadcaster

Oldyella

Because frankly, you don't see it enough. The fact that Utd has only come up against Ronaldo about three times since he left is poor for the spectacle. Likewise, we have not met some of the elite talents in football enough. Finding a way to bring the elite talent in the game into a direct head to head competition is certainly interesting, even if the methods are not.
Sorry I just can't agree. We have no god given right to play Messi or Ronaldo every season. We play Kane, one of Europe's best strikers twice a season already, and guess what, its a little bit shit in all honesty. Lads it's Spurs. Why would any other player not end up the same way? We played PSG a fair few times in recent years, can you honestly say you were as excited about seeing Mbappe the last time as you were the first?

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Why just limit it to Europe's top clubs ? Why not screw the whole of world football while we're at it. Maybe that's the plan longterm.
The competition will just keep evolving into one prolonged World Club Cup competition.

Judas

Open to offers
People scoffing at clubs moving to different cities really need to look who is behind this super league, what they're capable of and what they're basing this whole thing around. Of course its unlikely now, but who knows what the future holds. It's just something that happens in America, and its American who are are leading this whole thing.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Look at Dodgers and Giants moving from New York to Los Angeles and San Francisco.
The Rams (run by Stan Kroeneke) got moved from St Louis to LA in the last 5 years. The Raiders will be moving from Oakland to Las Vegas soon. This is common.

Some cnut almost moved the Columbus Crew (a soccer team) from Columbus to Austin, before the fans and town stepped in.

Suv666

European football is getting one step closer to being the WWE. Yaaaaaaay. Can't wait for Benzema to elbow Lloris from the top of the cross bar after Casemiro distracted the ref. Tune in to "Real vs. Spurs XVII - The Grudge Match" for only 15,99.
Oh Mah Gawd! Its Garry Neville with a steel chair

cyberman

That's all well and good. Yes we know the current system is broken and needs fixing. But this isn't it. This is making the current system a million times worse. So talking about the negatives about the current system and equating it to what has been proposed is silly. This is awful on every level focus on that not comparing.
Does it make it worse? Does capping City and giving 5 other teams the means to compete against them lessen the value of what we have now? Ive seen UEFAs proposals about swiss style CL nonsense. Its too far gone now since City bent UEFA over and there are no other alteratives from what i see.
Maybe they can get together and make this league work that does involve relegation etc but I can see why 12 clubs are asking for no relegation as we stand since they are taking the full force of the storm of criticism.
Transfer caps. Thats all that we needed and FIFA went and fecked that with their bribe money

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Well, yeah, they should. I don't think this is over yet, there's more to come and in the end it will all be fine. Football isn't going to go away and it isn't going to be ruined, it's sensationalism at its finest.
I’d personally be gutted if United left the premier league for this cash cow league and glad people and supporters groups are speaking against it instead of just pretending they don’t care and it’ll all be alright in the end.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
One thing this thread does highlight is that so many people care more about football than Politics. This should be the level of outrage that is pointed towards the government and society with regards to wealth inequality.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Oh Mah Gawd! Its Garry Neville with a steel chair
As gawd is my witness, his leg's broken in half.

That's it, he's offside.

One thing this thread does highlight is that so many people care more about football than Politics. This should be the level of outrage that is pointed towards the government and society with regards to wealth inequality.
On a football forum, imagine that.

crossy1686

career ending
The SL is global, there should be no need to move a team from Manchester to Dover. It makes no difference to a fan in China or America where Manchester or Dover are in England.

Infra-red

Porto, Bayern, Dortmund, Leipzig, *puke*PSG, so far clubs worthy of admiration.
With all of these clubs out, I wonder who the three remaining spots will go to?

Ajax surely won't be interested either.

Marseille? Roma? Celtic/Rangers? Galatasaray? Benfica? Valencia? Sevilla?

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Don’t see how we could stay in the prem too and still have champions league qualification places etc so we’ll have to wait and see about that
I definitely think we will stay in the Prem, the announcement makes that clear we intend to and the prem could not afford to kick out its 6 biggest clubs that would hurt them more than super league. Just like La liga and Seria A could afford to lose its biggest clubs.

But yeah champions league would become a joke, basically, the clubs who finish highest who aren't in the super league would qualify so you could finish 10th and qualify. Would just be stupid and that competition would become meaningless.

Like I say its not going to hurt us fans of the super league clubs, its the fans of other clubs who will suffer.

SwedishFish

Does it make it worse? Does capping City and giving 5 other teams the means to compete against them lessen the value of what we have now? Ive seen UEFAs proposals about swiss style CL nonsense. Its too far gone now since City bent UEFA over and there are no other alteratives from what i see.
Maybe they can get together and make this league work that does involve relegation etc but I can see why 12 clubs are asking for no relegation as we stand since they are taking the full force of the storm of criticism.
Transfer caps. Thats all that we needed and FIFA went and fecked that with their bribe money
This.

UEFA and FIFA have been too lax about putting the financial framework in place for years now seemingly meanwhile they build their own riches with media deals.

I'm not surprised at all that it isn't enough for these clubs.

justsomebloke

I would push back against the whole "this announcements shows that these clubs don't care about their supporters" narrative pushed by some pundits and fans.

While I think it shows that the management of these clubs doesn't care about the football pyramid as a whole or fans of other clubs. I don't agree that it shows they don't care about the fans of their own club.

As if you are a fan of one of these clubs, you will likely get to watch higher quality football on a regular basis. And due to the extra revenue, the clubs will likely get more star and big-name signings, something which you just have to read this forum to see is almost as important to fans as what happens on the pitch.

So while I think this league would likely be bad for the game as a whole I don't think it shows contempt from the owners of these clubs to their own fans.
It doesn't show contempt to their own fans that they are doing something that by all indications are seen as an outrage and a betrayal by those same fans?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Is that really so ridiculous though? It's literally what has happened to American football, with teams run by some of the exact same people.
It's not ridiculous but the examples aren't good because London is a huge city that can sustain 3 clubs and Manchester can sustain two clubs. It's smaller cities that should worry but I expect expansion teams more than relocations.

Maroon Lucifer

You should do with football clubs in England, what we in the Faroe Islands are doing with our major industry.
The Faroe Islands allow up to 25% foreign ownership of ocean industry decreasing gradually until 2032 when foreign ownership must end.

izec

With all of these clubs out, I wonder who the three remaining spots will go to?

Ajax surely won't be interested either.

Marseille? Roma? Celtic/Rangers? Galatasaray? Benfica? Valencia? Sevilla?
Probably these clubs. I think Napoli as well could be there.

arnie_ni

feck no. The club is Manchester. As far as I'm concerned the club dies the day it's moved.
That's my point. If they start moving team around cities to spread it around the whole thing will die a death. Its madness they are considering this in a global sport like this.