European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

padr81

Supports
Man City
The most disheartening thing is we are not only involved, we are a primary driving force.
This is not Manchester United, same thing I tell myself about City. This is some cnuts who have wormed their way in and infected Manchester United. Manchester United is more than these cnuts murdering football as is Liverpool, Manchester City, Spurs, Chelsea and Arsenal. Some good would come from this if all these boards and owners are forced to feck off and the clubs return to normal. I'd rather see my club back in League 1 than see the cnuts behind this stay in power.

Sara125

So apparently JP Morgan was found with a cargo ship full of cocaine a couple of years ago and nothing came of it. Clearly in this to clean their mo..err, I mean, because they love the sport so much!

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Say whatever you want about Sky but this spells it out, pure and simple.

I am sure some will try to justify this but the people running the club are there to extract your €, £ and $, not make your club enjoyable to watch.

Traub

You realise all 12 clubs can dump domestic football and simply make this league their full time league?
Yip. 20 team structure implies their backup plan is a single 20 team home and away league, with a knockout tournament at the end.

Oh god, what happens if they add in a one-legged knockout tournament where every game is played at a neutral ground.

Infra-red

So what do we think happens to the clubs involved if this all goes tits up? I mean in terms of their future as a football club. At this point with the backlash i'm expecting this to get very messy.

Also, do we think the decision to rush this through before fans are allowed back in the stadiums is intentional?
It could get ugly. At the very least, you would expect the clubs who have signed up to be banned from competing next season in any UEFA competition.

Ed Woodward appears to be persona non grata in Europe now too, so you'd expect his position to be untenable if United come grovelling back. Angelli would also be finished.

90 + 5min

Go on strike?

You'd assume the players will want nothing to do with this super league if it means international football is no longer an option for them.
It is up to players. You either play super league with consenquence (If UEFA are to be believed) or keep playing like you do now.

Yea. Brilliant UEFA and FIFA acting like a monopoly to ensure their corruption continues. What lads they are. Threatening players with their futures.
Nobody says UEFA / FIFA are perfect. But what these club, including ours, are doing is nothing short of stupidity. This is just one step.

I know everyone's terribly excited about this banning business but National Teams don't need UEFA's blessing to compete in a World Cup or Euro Cup, they can simply create one that isn't affiliated to them.
Oh, yes they do. It is UEFA and FIFA that are base of those cups. There is also unity from national associations about this subject. So, if super league want to create own World Cup or EuroCup, then they can do that with 20 teams.

Traub

The question here is: will Ronaldo go back to Sporting or move to US to play for MLS? International football for him is his priority specially at this age (same for Messi).
There'll always be transitional issues. I can imagine all players 30+ will probably walk away from their current clubs. It'll be some short term pain no doubt.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
feck sake that's rich coming from a guy who plays for PSG. Give me a break Ander, Oil clubs are why this is happening.
Oil clubs are welcome and benefit from the new world order.

As much as I hate to say it, Ander is right and should be applauded for speaking out.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Oh, I know. We managed to help make the CL a much worse competition by having input in these changes (in my opinion) only for us to jump ship anyway.
I really wish that instead of voting through the new changes, EUFA had announced they were redesigning the system now they don't have to care what these 12 have to say about anything.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
This is not Manchester United, same thing I tell myself about City. This is some cnuts who have wormed their way in and infected Manchester United. Manchester United is more than these cnuts murdering football as is Liverpool, Manchester City, Spurs, Chelsea and Arsenal. Some good would come from this if all these boards and owners are forced to feck off and the clubs return to normal. I'd rather see my club back in League 1 than see the cnuts behind this stay in power.
Well said. It's all so sad.

ti vu

When it's the leadership of the club being, you can't say it's just some worms infection. It's takeover.

Not gonna stick the knife in your club fanbase here, but just saying as for us, our fan fought when Glazers take over. Guess we lost, but can't say we didn't try.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Calm down people. Football sold its soul a long time ago.

This is a negotiation and will end up in a newly reformatted Champions League.
That's what I'm thinking too but it seems the ones involved in this new league are sure making every effort to show they are pushing ahead with this thing. If UEFA caves to them in a way you could argue they won even more than if they go off on their own. They re almost quite literally holding people hostage.

Denis79

They will now qualify for a meaningless version of Champions League with most big teams not in it and got the qualification because the big clubs didn't care or play seriously for it. Nothing to celebrate or consider as an achievement like what Leicester or WHU would have considered if they manage it this season. CL will become a pointless competition, the "elites" have dominated the important one without earning it.

Tell me the reason why Arsenal or Spurs got permanent spot in ESL and not Leicester who have been far better team than both these last 2 years? You know why right? Because Arsenal is just a fecking bigger brand name than Leicester will ever be, so who gives a shit if Leicester is actually the better team finishing 3rd-5th while Arsenal is languishing around 8th-10th? These are trivial.
On top of that the best teams aren't even in it anyways, Having Arsenal and Spurs in the tournament over the likes of PSG and Bayern says it all about this joke of a project. Honestly winning it won't even prove you're the best team in Europe, pointless from a fan perspective.

Devil may care

And all the managers are under strict orders not to comment !
Players also but probably don’t care as agents are for sure embroiled in this.
Fans can’t protest (vocally) due to lock down.
Oh yeah, the timing of this is to minimize potential protests but I think there will still be some so that'll be police resources wasted and potentially more covid spread, these people care about nothing but personal gain.

That would be the silver lining, if this was the catalyst to extracting these poisonous owners out of their respective clubs.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
To be fair to the Italian press, they're just as damning as the French press (who with no clubs yet joined, you might expect this reaction)

----------_-----------------------------------+++--------

An editorial in sports daily L’Equipe says the Super League members are “traitors”. “If they continue with their project, we will never forgive them," it reads. "We won’t forgive them if they give it up, either. The 12 clubs will remain traitors of a shared ideal for a long time still. They’ve showed they’re ready to kill off European football, its essence, its history and its beauty with their cynicism and greed.”

SwedishFish

No it doesn't, and no you can't turn the argument around. The 12 clubs want something that would be hugely detrimental to European football, and at worst turn the club I've supported almost my whole life into something I could no longer care about. UEFA wants to stop this. Which means that in this case, and however bad UEFA might be generally, they're in the right and doing the good thing.
Yes, you can turn the argument around. It doesn't make it so just because you have a set mindset.

There is a bigger picture here that you are clearly failing to see and whilst I certainly am not personally sold on the idea of a Super League, it's all down to UEFA not budging over media rights because they want to keep more of that money to themselves that in the end is generated mainly through the top clubs. Its a game of greed where I'm not sure that there is a "right and good thing" between the two.

Your emotional sentiment is secondary to money no matter what club you support as it has been for more than a decade now with the development of new entities in European football, massively inflated transfer fees, and the increase of players jumping clubs for a better payday. If it took a European Super League for you to wake up and smell the coffee then I'm very sorry for you, but this should hardly be surprising.

What happens when a "founding" team comes 20th and a non-founding team places ahead of them? The founding team remains and the non-founding team loses their place. How can anyone not see this issue? :lol:
The even worse part is it'll be heavy, heavy odds-on every season that the every one of the 'Founders' finish above the qualifiers due to the absolutely massive financial disparity they will have created. Ditto for any possible domestic league these teams play in.

The biggest issue though - sporting-wise - is that every domestic league position from 2nd - 17th essentially means the same thing except for varying levels of prize money for the owners. If you have a bad first 10 games domestically, the next 28 are essentially pointless dead rubbers....your domestic season could be over in September.

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
I started thinking, can this affect a players contract? Is he obliged to just accept to drop the national team, CL, EL and domestic league for this SuperCrapLeague?? Or can this lead to a court decision to void contracts?

MikeeMike

PA report as follows: “Grimsby have responded to the proposed launch of the super league by offering fans of the English clubs involved the chance to trade in their shirt for a Mariners one. The ‘shirt amnesty’ is open to holders of any Manchester United, Manchester City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Tottenham or Chelsea shirts that are less than three seasons old. In return the club are offering a replica 2020-21 Grimsby shirt, with the unwanted Premier League kits to be donated to local youth groups and humanitarian projects in Africa.

“In light of recent events surrounding the introduction of the European Super League, Grimsby Town Football Club will be running a shirt amnesty for those who hold shirts for the English clubs involved,” a statement on the club website read. “Without fans, football and Grimsby Town Football Club are nothing. “We would like to thank you for the fantastic support you have provided us this season and we cannot wait to welcome you back to Blundell Park as soon as possible.”

https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2021/april/big-six-shirt-amnesty-launched/
I liked this when I saw but...

“All shirts that are surrendered during the amnesty will be donated to local youth groups and humanitarian projects in Africa”

So local groups wear donated shirts - bad
Projects in Africa don’t have footy shirts as a priority.

Also , to be cynical, Grimsby say “*While stocks last”.

stevoc

Oil clubs are welcome and benefit from the new world order.

As much as I hate to say it, Ander is right and should be applauded for speaking out.
Oil clubs are welcome as long as they sign up to basically a new version of ffp controlled by the big clubs.

I never said I disagree with the sentiment of his message. Just that it's rich coming from someone employed by PSG.

The Purley King

It would be great if one of our big players said they would not play for the club again - and actually go through with it.
See how long your €350m lasts Glazer you cnut when €500m worth of players walk out the door.

Please please let this happen.

Ixion

The people convincing themselves this is a good idea, to see the best of the best play each other every week, how it will be good for the game....you realise this is down solely to Billionaires being upset their toy can miss out on the Champions League with a bad season and the revenue impact of that yes? This is happening for no other reason than that. A competition they can't miss out on ever so require less investment but generates more revenue for the owners. That is what you are championing at the expense of all other teams and leagues. Trying to convince yourself it is about literally anything other than that is a delusion.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
feck sake that's rich coming from a guy who plays for PSG. Give me a break Ander, Oil clubs are why this is happening.
Less than a day before the oil clubs are blamed for this mess :lol:

gica_7

If that was true, NBA wouldn't be such a big deal every year, since there are no promotions/demotions system. They are choosing clubs for worldwide fan count, and Arsenal has millions more than Sevilla.
Besides, the asian and american markets reacted very well to this news. For them, loosing a few european viewers won't make that much of an impact when compared to the number of new viewers they will get. TV contracts will rain down hard, a matter of time.
The passion is on our side, the fans side. But those who manage clubs are businessman and will do what they have to do to make more money. This is something the big clubs were trying to do since the late 80s, we know the day would come. Maybe it will be not this year, but I think it will happen sooner or later.
The comparison with Nba is hardly the same. Big market teams has generally most chance to be successful but not everytime. If managed properly, every NBA team has a chance to be champions. Just like Ceferin put, clubs like Arsenal, United, Milan etc. wants this simply because they had to be properly managed to be successful and their money machine keep working. Yet, clubs like Sevilla, Atalanta etc has done everything right and still get punished. That's why I said who determines which club can attend.

I don't know the reaction of Asians and Americans. Sooner than later, this project is prone to fail. Especially with this many backlash.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
It would be great if one of our big players said they would not play for the club again - and actually go through with it.
See how long your €350m lasts Glazer you cnut when €500m worth of players walk out the door.

Please please let this happen.
Then you'll complain that we aren't winning anything and we're mid-table fodder for 12 years.

Don't cut off your nose to spite your face.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It doesn't matter what argument you make for the Super League. You can conjure up a billion pros, but if the one con is that 12-15 teams permanently have access to a competition that gives them a financial advantage over every other team in existence, all of your pros are compeletely null and void. It's financial doping wrapped in legal clothing.

What happens when a "founding" team comes 20th and a non-founding team places ahead of them? The founding team remains and the non-founding team loses their place. How can anyone not see this issue? :lol:
There is no issue, it's a closed league, there is no relegation, the other teams are guests so even if one of the guest finishes last as long as they bring the dough, they will most likely not be replaced. Let alone founders.