European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

justsomebloke

Well they died while travelling back from a European game that English football didnt want them playing in.
Its a bit of a reach
Yes. They didn't die for the old European cup either, or for Manchester United, or for football. They died because their plane had an accident.

If Munich is going to be used as a rallying point here, it should be done right.

ti vu

The owners are almost all powerful billionaires with powerful billionaire friends. Truth be told, If I was a businessman like Ceferin essentially I would be very careful about what I say because people should realize that we are talking about the serious big boys here not our usual "villains" like Woodward or Tebas.
Ceferin is backed by other serious big boys in form of UEFA, too. I don't think the big boys want more trouble now, trying to shoot the messenger. Ceferin is safe by staying in the spotlight. He's just doing his duty. In he future, if he's ever changes his tune and join the gang, IMO he would be welcomed. I meant, the best propaganda would be your former critics to change their stance, and work for you, innit?

I would say these are all calculated moves by these people.

Hoof the ball

There is no issue, it's a closed league, there is no relegation, the other teams are guests so even if one of the guest finishes last as long as they bring the dough, they will most likely not be replaced. Let alone founders.
It's an issue because it estranges the elite and near-elite clubs from European minnows who might otherwise be given the chance to qualify for an open competition whereby historical giant killings might occur.

If dough is the prerequisite for being a guest, then by its design punishes less financially capable European sides even if their performance merits their inclusion.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I know everyone's terribly excited about this banning business but National Teams don't need UEFA's blessing to compete in a World Cup or Euro Cup, they can simply create one that isn't affiliated to them.
Another spin off competition!? :lol: What national teams are joining this one

stevoc

Less than a day before the oil clubs are blamed for this mess :lol:
I was blaming them yesterday as well. If the PL had blocked the likes of Roman, the American owners and the Oil States. Then this wouldn't be happening, but they let all those buy outs go ahead. And now here we are, it was inevitable.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It's an issue because it estranges the elite and near-elite clubs from European minnows who might otherwise be given the chance to qualify for an open competition whereby historical giant killings might occur.

If dough is the prerequisite for being a guest, then by its design punishes less financially capable European sides even if their performance merits their inclusion.
I meant that there is no issue for the super league. The goal is to ostracize smaller clubs and not share revenue.

Siorac

After reading this thread, I have really come to understand why massive inequality is generally accepted, unchecked capitalism is left unchallenged, and billionaires are able to just do as they please.

#eattherich
Hear, hear.
When it's the leadership of the club being, you can't say it's just some worms infection. It's takeover.

Not gonna stick the knife in your club fanbase here, but just saying as for us, our fan fought when Glazers take over. Guess we lost, but can't say we didn't try.
Eh, we fought because they were going to saddle the club with debt and have an impact on our competitiveness. Look at the Saudi takeover thread - a depressing number of people would have been more than happy to take their money.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Already covered this today morning.

Let's say on a Wed evening Man Utd have a game against Barca and the winner of that will get top 4 of this superleage and get $ prize money, whatever amount is on offer which I imagine is high.

What do you think Man Utd will do if they have a premier league game a few days before, which is now worth a lot less because there will be no champions league places on the line. Will they a) go full strength for the integrity of the game or b) play a second string and place more emphasis on the midweek game.

Additionally plus we play a weakened team in the EPL to benefit us in a crunch came in the superleague, then what does that mean for clubs still in the EPL who are going for champions league places? Is it fair, is it ethical? From a sporting sense is it awful
My apology for not seeing your earlier post. The more you think about the various permutations, the more you begin to understand the issues.
Another involves young players. Would the best really want to go to an ESL club meaning that they would not be eligible to play for their country in the World Cup.

stevoc

The most ridiculous false equivalency that keeps gettin repeated.
Ridiculous how exactly?

Who is behind this super league idea mostly wealthy foreign owners. Had they not been allowed to buy up PL clubs this wouldn't be happening.

I mean come on isn't that obvious?

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
They are better than Uefa
Yea. Brilliant UEFA and FIFA acting like a monopoly to ensure their corruption continues. What lads they are. Threatening players with their futures.
Wow, just wow.

These things need to be run by independent bodies but your solution is to give all the power to the big capitalists only because you're lucky enough to support one of the 'chosen' clubs. Pathetic hypocrisy.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Yup.

There's no threat of relegation and half the league qualify for the playoffs anyway after the tediously long and pointless group stage. There's not even any big variation in prize money for advancing further in the 'competition' compared to just competing.

Teams will treat it like the NBA regular season is treated. Half-hearted effort, star players resting, low intensity games.
Sounds wonderful....

red4ever 79

My apology for not seeing your earlier post. The more you think about the various permutations, the more you begin to understand the issues.
Another involves young players. Would the best really want to go to an ESL club meaning that they would not be eligible to play for their country in the World Cup.
I cannot see any condition where from a fair play perspective they will be allowed to be in both competitions, and if they drop out of the EPL, then my support of the club will be done. 42 years been a supporter

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Ceferin is backed by other serious big boys in form of UEFA, too. I don't think the big boys want more trouble now, trying to shoot the messenger. Ceferin is safe by staying in the spotlight. He's just doing his duty. In he future, if he's ever changes his tune and join the gang, IMO he would be welcomed. I meant, the best propaganda would be your former critics to change their stance, and work for you, innit?

I would say these are all calculated moves by these people.
The UEFA isn't a big boy, i kind of hope that you realize it, they have been blakmailed and caved at every turn for more than 30 years by the clubs that have now left. The UEFA is nothing economically without the popularity of the CL which has been destroyed by the ESL and in general they are nothing compared to JP Morgan or the other actors in the ESL.

Ceferin meeting with legal team to decide about sanctions this season. "As soon as possible they have to be banned from all our competitions - players too"

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

diarm

Anyone commending PSG for not joining should take a second to remember Qatar owns Bein Sports and is hosting the next Fifa World Cup.

The minute that tournament is over and they can get out of their CL tv deal, they'll be signed up to this thing quicker than you can say "war crimes, shmor crimes".

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
The UEFA isn't a big boy, i kind of hope that you realize it, they have been blakmailed and caved at every turn for more than 30 years by the clubs that have now left. The UEFA is nothing economically without the popularity of the CL which has been destroyed by the ESL and in general they are nothing compared to JP Morgan or the other actors in the ESL.
It does not matter who you think is a "big boy". This will come down to the law and UEFA/FIFA etc will use all lawful methods to stop this. That means, if lawful, they can cut out the clubs from all other competitions etc.
I do believe UEFA have enough money for some decent lawyers, don't you?