European Super League

Do you want the ESL to happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fully Fledged

The ESL will be boring as bat shite after 12 months. How many times do you want to watch Liverpool v AC Milan? And no relegation? No consequences for losing, plenty of money being made for the owners and the fans will be screwed over no doubt with ticket prices - that is if they're not playing games in Boston or Dubai or God knows where.

I hope the ESL clubs are expelled from their domestic leagues and I look forward to watching new clubs flourish and become dominant.
I don't understand this concept.
While I totally agree with the not needing to qualify part of it and that it is taking away the dreams of all the clubs in the pyramid of playing at the highest level and am opposed to it because of that but the idea that I would rather watch Palace play Southampton 2 times a year than Liverpool play AC Milan is nonsensical. If I continue to watch the mediocre teams in the EPL play year in year out why would I get bored of watching better teams if they were in the same league as us?

Yes I get that there is no relegation but I'm far more interested in who is going to win the league each year rather than who is going to get relegated.

Such as?

The CL will be nothing without those 12 clubs. It'll be the SPFL equivalent with Bayern and Psg playing the role of Celtic and Rangers.
It's going to take a hit, no doubt.

Imo if the 'super' league happens Uefa should just remodel the Champions League a bit - inevitably reduce the size and there'd still be some top games.

Then hope that initial interest in the 'super' league wanes and those clubs ask to return.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Such as?

The CL will be nothing without those 12 clubs. It'll be the SPFL equivalent with Bayern and Psg playing the role of Celtic and Rangers.
In Ligue 1 only, you have Pinault, Ratcliffe, Rybolovlev, Seydoux and QSI, Marseille are supposed to be sold but McCourt is still there and could see a new opportunity. In Germany you obviously have already big clubs such as Bayern and Dortmund but also Leipzig, then you have all the clubs owned by big companies like Wolfsburg and Leverkusen who now can see the CL sky. That's without talking about Porto, Benfica, Roma, Napoli or Ajax.

Mid to long term, Football doesn't start or ends with the Super Greedy League, there is a lot of clubs with history and potential outside of that league.

ThinkTank@Cafe

Who will be the players? 20 clubs doesn't include all nations or players and with UEFA / FIFA eventually forbidding players to play for they nations if they play in SuperLeague you will be lucky to have a full national team from those teams.
it is one of many technical issues. The big picture is Fifa/UEFA structure let the clubs earn billions, while modern platforms like Amazon or Dazn will let them earn tens of billions. It is TV vs Internet battle.TV will eventually lose.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Completely hairless all over their body so they can glide over the pitch with hardly any air resistance at all.
the perfect ref. they would be completely silent, making themselves almost invisible, unlike legacy refs like mike dean.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
The Italian Federation up in arms but then they play the final of their FA Cup in China etc every year........ and i read somewhere that the PL were considering playing some PL games in other countries too.
Double standards ?

Fully Fledged

This had to have been in motion for the team that have come out to come out. They were never going to risk this if they hadn't already checked that they had the judicial system on their side. Companies like JP Morgan and Amazon aren't getting into bed with this unless they are sure they can pull it off.

Stormrage101MUFC

The club's owners who sanctioned this wouldn't have even thought about that record and what it means, you can literally bet your bottom dollar.

Oldyella

The Minister of digital, culture, media and sport as said that he as talked to fans about taking stakes in clubs and will be moving in that direction.
I bet the owners of non shady 6 pl clubs are loving hearing that! Taken down by the greed of others.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Ahh probably. I like my idea better though, but actually the dates don't work out.
:lol:
To be fair, i didn't check the dates either before responding, and wouldn't have completely ruled out your idea, since it's comic-villain-y enough to fit right in ^^

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Something I can't wrap my head around , why these dumbspiracy leaders announced it in the business end of the season, when titles and cups are being chased , and not immediately after? Now they are risking the trophies they are about to win as well, effectively rendering the work of their players useless. They really don't care about any of this don't they? Probably view their own players as mindless automatons.
Juventus for example are traded on the stock exchange, they are legally bound to disclose this information.

RoyH1

The Italian Federation up in arms but then they play the final of their FA Cup in China etc every year........ and i read somewhere that the PL were considering playing some PL games in other countries too.
Double standards ?
Tebas the Spanish league guy wanted games in the US and brought the Spanish Super Cup to Saudi Arabia. Quite the hypocrite. He just wants his slice of the pie and is seething at getting outplayed by the big clubs

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Presumably Porto, Bayern and Dortmund would get the other semi final slots.
That would make the competition looks very stupid, to have teams which area already knocked out to proceed to semi.
I guess it just better to hand the trophy to PSG rather.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
No it’s not, it will eventually turn the games against Real Madrid into run of the mill games similar to a game against Everton. There will be no prestige to the tie.
Even more so when there's nothing at stake.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
As much as I would like to see that happen, I think UEFA and other FAs haven't got the balls to do it. At this point its a game of who folds first.
Exactly, UEFA have a lot more to lose than the clubs have if they kick out the clubs from the Europa/UCL. It would hurt UEFA more and would do more harm than good as it would just make the teams in the ESL's decision easier.

Jerry Garcia

Personally, I think everyone needs to take a deep breath and calm down. There’s a lot of posturing going on from different associations and organizations, all who have a lot to gain or lose depending on the outcome. From what we know and the initial backlash, I don’t see this actually being implemented. The lawsuits alone would go on for years…

Also people need to ignore the threats from UEFA etc. about banning players from competitions at club or national level. Please, UEFA ban half the Portuguese, Spanish, and French first teams from competing in major tournaments. Also, if they do ban these players, who cares and what does that prove? If anything it just shows the fans that UEFA and the governing bodies are even more corrupt and self-serving than we already knew.

At the end of the day this might finally be the reckoning that fans need to wake up and realize that UEFA, FIFA, the FA and all of these clubs involved haven’t cared about the fans in years. Money and greed ruined the game a long time ago. As other people have said I think the clubs involved in this and the people at the SPL really misread the situation. If this was a negation tactic with UEFA, I think it has backfired. I hope there are repercussions for everyone involved because it might be the catalyst for change. However, as I outlined above, I don’t see this really changing anything other than ensuring these clubs and associations get even more money in the near term.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
We wouldn't need VAR because they would always be exactly be in the right position due to their super-human speed.
able to ref, run the line and goal line technology all by themselves.

a topless, caged jon moss will be wheeled out at half time, for super fans to boo and hiss at. they will be reminded of how bad the game used to be, until our salvation by the glazers and the esl.